Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Women: Cornell 4 Princeton 0; ECAC QF Gm 3

Posted by Trotsky 
Women: Cornell 4 Princeton 0; ECAC QF Gm 3
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 03:26PM

Mills just scored 5x3, 1-0 late in the first period.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2018 05:19PM by Trotsky.

Re: Women vs Princeton QF Gm 3, Sunday 3 pm
Date: February 25, 2018 03:33PM

1-0, end of 1. Good first period.

Date: February 25, 2018 04:13PM

2-0 Cornell; Knee. Then Boissonnault makes a great save on a Tiger breakaway.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2018 04:17PM

The gals are playing hard but look tight. Lots of fumbling around with the puck.

Date: February 25, 2018 04:22PM

Veerman, 3-zip. Princeton on their 6th pp.

Now through 2, still Cornell leads 2-0.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2018 04:29PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 25, 2018 04:40PM

Underway in the 3rd.

Date: February 25, 2018 04:54PM

Buckley halfway through the third, 4-0 Cornell.

Date: February 25, 2018 05:12PM

Boissonnault gets the shutout, 4-0. Cornell will play Colgate in the SF in Potsdam.

4 St. Lawrence at 1 Clarkson
3 Cornell vs 2 Colgate

Here are the prior ECAC F4s.

Posted by: RichH (107.77.106.---)
Date: February 25, 2018 05:22PM

Trotsky
Boissonnault gets the shutout, 4-0. Cornell will play Colgate in the SF in Potsdam.

4 St. Lawrence at 1 Clarkson
3 Cornell vs 2 Colgate

Here are the prior ECAC F4s.

Chalk, similar to the Olympic Women’s medal round. I’m okay with this.

I remember when just making the ECAC field was a major goal/accomplishment for any program. Back before there was a HEA Women’s League. And there were no Western teams, therefore no NCAA tournament so ECAC tournament was the de facto (and unofficial) national title.

While I’m rambling, I love how far the women’s game has come. I went out to a bar to watch the Gold medal game & several clueless barflies took most of the 1st to realize that it wasn’t a men’s game. Today’s game at Lynah also showcased the speed & skill of these players.

Date: February 25, 2018 05:26PM

RichH
I love how far the women’s game has come. I went out to a bar to watch the Gold medal game & several clueless barflies took most of the 1st to realize that it wasn’t a men’s game. Today’s game at Lynah also showcased the speed & skill of these players.
Women's NC$$ games in the 80s were unwatchable except for the top 3 or 4 teams. By the 00s it was the top 3 or 4 team in each conference. Now most of the teams and players are very good, and the Olympic women's games and the NC$$ tourney games are incredible.

It's following the same curve that NC$$ men's hockey went through, from the 50s through 70s through the 90s. It's a fully mature sport now with an amazing pipeline of players. I get the impression it is still a rich kid's sport, but hopefully even that barrier will break down, particularly if the women's pro league expands and thrives.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2018 05:29PM by Trotsky.

Re: Women: Cornell 4 Princeton 0; ECAC QF Gm 3
Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2018 06:09PM

I don't think that women's hockey is a rich kids sport in Canada. Playing high-level youth hockey is not as exclusive as it is in the States -- good players can be found in communities and public rinks all over the country. In addition, the Canadian development program spots kids early and provides opportunities that might not happen as much in the US. I have worked with the Cornell women for a long time and know for a fact that a lot of the quality players we recruited in the last 15 years did not come from money.

Re: Women: Cornell 4 Princeton 0; ECAC QF Gm 3
Posted by: RichH (107.77.106.---)
Date: February 25, 2018 06:41PM

dag14
I don't think that women's hockey is a rich kids sport in Canada. Playing high-level youth hockey is not as exclusive as it is in the States -- good players can be found in communities and public rinks all over the country. In addition, the Canadian development program spots kids early and provides opportunities that might not happen as much in the US. I have worked with the Cornell women for a long time and know for a fact that a lot of the quality players we recruited in the last 15 years did not come from money.

Very much this. As someone who grew up in a very poor part of NYS (Southern Tier) and lived the past decade+ in Connecticut, it’s an interesting wake-up call to see people point out sports/activities that I always saw as egalitarian/affordable/inclusive, (golf, lacrosse, hockey, skiing, etc)are viewed as elitist/wealthy/preppy/exclusive in New England & Metroplex coastal circles. I’m sure this effect is raised to a higher degree for small-town & prairie hockey/lax Canadian sites.

I mean, I can still go back to my hometown & pay under $15 for a drop-of-the-hat golf round when in LA tee-times had to be made days in advance at ridiculous rates. Supply/demand but in bad-economic regions these pastimes are accessible for many.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2018 06:48PM by RichH.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 08:44PM

RichH
While I’m rambling, I love how far the women’s game has come. I went out to a bar to watch the Gold medal game & several clueless barflies took most of the 1st to realize that it wasn’t a men’s game. Today’s game at Lynah also showcased the speed & skill of these players.
Right. A while back, a long while back, it seemed that a decent boys' HS hockey team could take down a women's college team. The level of stickhandling, passing precision, shooting accuracy / speed, is really good now.

Back when Title IX started I had doubts because it seemed uncertain why you should spend equal amounts when the women's version of a sport was a lot less good. Title IX was the seed money - actually, legislation - that got women's teams more or less on par with the men's versions less the differences in musculature and body strength. It took generation for change to happen. Now the issue is pretty much down to whether there should be an exemption for football, which has no women's equivalent.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-70-214-83.myvzw.com)
Date: February 26, 2018 11:00AM

billhoward
RichH
Right. A while back, a long while back, it seemed that a decent boys' HS hockey team could take down a women's college team. The level of stickhandling, passing precision, shooting accuracy / speed, is really good now.

Back when Title IX started I had doubts because it seemed uncertain why you should spend equal amounts when the women's version of a sport was a lot less good. Title IX was the seed money - actually, legislation - that got women's teams more or less on par with the men's versions less the differences in musculature and body strength. It took generation for change to happen. Now the issue is pretty much down to whether there should be an exemption for football, which has no women's equivalent.

[www.newschoolers.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 26, 2018 11:13AM

CU2007
https://www.newschoolers.com/forum/thread/771689/US-Women-s-Olympic-Hockey-loses-to-high-school-boys
Do not read the Comments on that link if you want to preserve a shred of hope for the future of humanity. I'm already lost; save yourselves.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login