Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell at Union, 2/24/18

Posted by KGR11 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cornell at Union, 2/24/18
Posted by: KGR11 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 09:16AM

Do you start Stewart tonight? Might be good to get him some in-game practice before the playoffs in case he has to take over for Galajda at some point. It's also his final regular season game. The game also has no bearing on our standing in the league and probably marginal standing in the pairwise.

Re: Cornell at Union, 2/24/18
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2018 09:27AM

KGR11
Do you start Stewart tonight? Might be good to get him some in-game practice before the playoffs in case he has to take over for Galajda at some point. It's also his final regular season game. The game also has no bearing on our standing in the league and probably marginal standing in the pairwise.

Assuming either a Denver win over St. Cloud State or a Denver/SCSU tie, and the other two teams in the top five (Notre Dame, Minnesota State) win, a Cornell loss to Union drops us to #5. Even a SCSU win over Denver and the other two teams winning means a Cornell loss to Union drops us to #4.

EDIT: That said, a Denver win and Notre Dame/Minnesota State wins still drops us to #4 even if we beat Union.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 09:29AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 09:37AM

Stewart's statistically at least just as good as Matt.

I wouldn't mind giving him one more start, not to mention one fewer look by Union at Galajda in case we meet again.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 10:48AM

I'd give Stewart the start. He isn't clearly worse, and may actually be better but with poorly timed injuries. The PWR risk for tonight is no different in the ECAC tournament, tbh, and any drop tonight can be corrected by storming through LP.

I can't believe how little he's played this year and kind of wish he'd gotten the call on Senior Night. My heart grew three sizes typing this.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 10:56AM

you assume that because he is dressing that he is ready to go..

Date: February 24, 2018 11:18AM

Tonight's video stream is pay-only. I don't suppose anybody here has a helpful friend who subscribes to [unionathletics.tv] ...?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 24, 2018 11:22AM

upprdeck
Well, kinda. If he isn't ready he shouldn't be dressed.

Date: February 24, 2018 11:22AM

ugarte
I'd give Stewart the start. He isn't clearly worse, and may actually be better but with poorly timed injuries. The PWR risk for tonight is no different in the ECAC tournament, tbh, and any drop tonight can be corrected by storming through LP.

I can't believe how little he's played this year and kind of wish he'd gotten the call on Senior Night. My heart grew three sizes typing this.
Our goal light only lights on one side, ya see.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 11:32AM

Trotsky
upprdeck

Colton Point was not only dressed but played last night in the tie vs. Union. He had missed the last four games.

Senior Chase Perry has not dressed for RPI in weeks and I haven't found any reference to this - though I haven't scoured USCHO and other Engineer hangouts. Ursus?

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 11:39AM

Trotsky
upprdeck
even if he isn't ready, at least put on pants. this isn't burning man.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 12:12PM

Trotsky
Our goal light only lights on one side, ya see.

Gee that's strange... I noticed a similar quirk at RPI last night. Whenever we scored the goal light seemed to be on a seven-second delay.wtf

Date: February 24, 2018 12:14PM

Beeeej
Tonight's video stream is pay-only. I don't suppose anybody here has a helpful friend who subscribes to [unionathletics.tv] ...?

Geez - I knew the attorney job market was bad. But THAT bad???

Date: February 24, 2018 12:16PM

dressing and be game ready are different things.. we have to have someone to go in and try to win. not saying we wont see him tonight.. but

Date: February 24, 2018 12:26PM

TimV
Beeeej

Geez - I knew the attorney job market was bad. But THAT bad???

Lawyers love a good "discount" just as much as anyone else. We have no real problem spending $8.95 on a single game with as-yet-unknown quality of picture, camera work, and commentary, it's just not our favorite thing about tonight's game.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 12:34PM

I paid to watch the women play at Union. The feed was okay; certainly no worse than ILN.

Date: February 24, 2018 12:35PM

dag14
I paid to watch the women play at Union. The feed was okay; certainly no worse than ILN.

- Steve Worona

Date: February 24, 2018 12:48PM

The comments about the camera work on the USCHO thread were not good. So your "discount" is probably the way to go.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 03:07PM

Beeeej

I don't suppose anyone who is watching would record the game for me, would they?

Even if I were to buy the game, I couldn't watch the archive. You have to buy the $80 All-Access t watch an archive.

Posted by: abmarks (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 06:05PM

F sentiment. We need to ride the horse that got us here. It's unlucky for Stewart, but the team has to be more important than one guy.

Upsetting the team rhythm and chemistry they have developed with Galadja in net would be foolish. And since he's a frosh, I want him getting all the game reps he can possibly get.

There was a long discussion in another thread about how on paper, next year would be the year. However, as someone pointed out, who knows what could happen next year. We unexpectedly find ourselves in serious ncaa contention *this year*. We need to absolutely crush this chance.

Pretty sure Stewart (and everyone on this board) could care less about him never playing for the red ever again...if we get to the frozen four title game.

Posted by: redliner (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 06:25PM

Stewart in net.

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 06:32PM

redliner
Stewart in net.

Good. I want to know that we can rely on him in case Something Bad happens in the playoffs. Yes, PWR is important, but this is the lowest-stakes game the rest of the way.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 06:36PM

I'm assuming Donaldson and Smith are sitting because of their recent injuries

Date: February 24, 2018 06:49PM

scoop85
I'm assuming Donaldson and Smith are sitting because of their recent injuries
I thought so but Mike said Smith got "a little dinged up last night."

But I think this is taking no chances. Nor does he need to: Cairns is cromulent and Malott gets free after feeling shame.

Date: February 24, 2018 06:50PM

abmarks
There was a long discussion in another thread about how on paper, next year would be the year. However, as someone pointed out, who knows what could happen next year. We unexpectedly find ourselves in serious ncaa contention *this year*. We need to absolutely crush this chance.

THIS. SO THIS. SO THIS.

There are so few real chances. This is one of them. And I am still, as far as I know, mortal. Make it count, lads. Yale showed us that if you can doggedly hang around and hang around and be there, shit can happen.

80% of success is just showing up.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 06:52PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 24, 2018 07:12PM

How was that hit that took green out not a penalty?

Posted by: BMac (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 07:13PM

He was looking down, but he had the puck and it was a hip check. Looked ok to me, but I’m no expert.

Date: February 24, 2018 07:17PM

Anyone besides us getting audio that's both delayed by several seconds, and spotty, going in and out every few seconds?

- Steve Worona

Date: February 24, 2018 07:18PM

My feed [which I did have to pay for] is fine.

Date: February 24, 2018 07:25PM

Is Alex Green back in the game?

Date: February 24, 2018 07:32PM

Yes; he missed a couple of shifts but is back.

Date: February 24, 2018 07:37PM

looked to me like a complete knee takeout.. he flipped over the guy

Date: February 24, 2018 08:09PM

I hope Cornell doesn't commit another penalty because Union power play seems unstoppable.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 08:37PM

RichH
redliner
Stewart in net.

Good. I want to know that we can rely on him in case Something Bad happens in the playoffs. Yes, PWR is important, but this is the lowest-stakes game the rest of the way.

Wouldn't last night have been the better low-stakes opportunity?

Date: February 24, 2018 08:43PM

Yep, it's one of those games. Union is 3/3 on the power play. Only way to stop them is not to commit any penalties.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 08:51PM by redliner.

Date: February 24, 2018 08:47PM

abmarks
RichH
redliner
Stewart in net.

1) A loss to Union would have a lesser impact to our RPI/PWR than a loss to RPI would. 2) Now that #1 and #2 spots are locked up, there is absolutely no risk to our ECAC playoff ranking anymore. 3) That's in the past now. My comment is about today's decision.

Posted by: A-19 (195.66.180.---)
Date: February 24, 2018 08:55PM

I don't get you guys. galadja wins games. you need to put the best possible team on the ice every night to win. there are no throwaway games when you are playing for the national championship. we have the number 1 goaltender in the country and we played our backup who hasn't seen ice time for 2 months and gave up 4 goals so far tonight

Date: February 24, 2018 08:56PM

I thinks it's time to pull Stewart.

Date: February 24, 2018 09:11PM

I hope this loss doesn't haunt us come ncaa tournament time. Our penalty kill completely fell apart.

Date: February 24, 2018 09:15PM

Miraculously, we are still #3 in PWR, but by one ten-thousandth of a point. #4 Minnesota State is still playing, but down to Bemidji State 0-1 in the second.

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 09:17PM by Beeeej.

Date: February 24, 2018 09:31PM

RichH
abmarks
RichH
redliner
Stewart in net.

1) A loss to Union would have a lesser impact to our RPI/PWR than a loss to RPI would.

Huh? What are you smoking?

rpi = win % + opponents win% + opp opponents win%. Unadulterated RPI treats all wins the same- so beating RPI & losing to Union gives us the same RPI as a combo of losing to RPI and beating Union.

Union is hovering between 17 and 22 in RPI right now. If they finish in the top 20 of RPI, beating union gets us a quality win bonus. Beating RPI would not,

The only other factor in PWR that these games effect is common opponent comparisons and the results this weekend don't effect any of our comparisons in terms of common opponent win %.

Date: February 24, 2018 09:33PM

A-19
I don't get you guys. galadja wins games. you need to put the best possible team on the ice every night to win. there are no throwaway games when you are playing for the national championship. we have the number 1 goaltender in the country and we played our backup who hasn't seen ice time for 2 months and gave up 4 goals so far tonight

So this!

Noone has mentioned the mental/emotional side. This is not exactly a confidence builder to take a loss tonight.

Date: February 24, 2018 09:42PM

strange game.. had the better of play down the stretch but we lost so many stick battles early we were chasing most of the night.

still giving up 3PP goals when it wasnt like union really did much with it.. that last goal was just an awful play coming out of our own zone.

Stewart didnt play badly the one rebound it might not even have gotten to him.

Still we need our goal scorers to get shots off and not be silent the whole night.

a game without our goalie, our best P- D our captain and one of our quickest forwards we still scored 3.

lets hope that 2 weeks off we come out to play

Date: February 24, 2018 10:04PM

abmarks

rpi = win % + opponents win% + opp opponents win%. Unadulterated RPI treats all wins the same- so beating RPI & losing to Union gives us the same RPI as a combo of losing to RPI and beating Union.

Union is hovering between 17 and 22 in RPI right now. If they finish in the top 20 of RPI, beating union gets us a quality win bonus. Beating RPI would not,

The only other factor in PWR that these games effect is common opponent comparisons and the results this weekend don't effect any of our comparisons in terms of common opponent win %.

OK, you're right on that point. Thanks for refreshing me, albeit in a combative manner; I wasn't putting much thought into it.

I'm still glad Stewart has some recent game experience heading to the post-season. You never know when we'll need him.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 10:06PM by RichH.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 10:21PM

Personally, I think giving Galajda a day off is worth it. Rest is good.

That being said, I could be wrong.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 10:41PM

They have two weeks coming up - How much rest does he need ?

Posted by: YZ (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 10:47PM

Personally, I don't get those comments against Stew. I agree that he probably didn't play his best tonight, but Union's put some real effort into this game. And remember, last time they were @ Lynah they put in 3 goals. I think tonight's game will only help with the rest of our games, and Galajda, too.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2018 12:14AM by YZ.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 11:23PM

Cop at Lynah

Nice to not give Union a shot at him tonight. The less they see of him the better if we meet again.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 11:54PM by marty.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 12:01AM

marty
Cop at Lynah

Nice to not give Union a shot at him tonight. The less they see of him the better if we meet again.

Interesting point.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: February 25, 2018 12:23AM

RichH
abmarks

OK, you're right on that point. Thanks for refreshing me, albeit in a combative manner; I wasn't putting much thought into it.

I'm still glad Stewart has some recent game experience heading to the post-season. You never know when we'll need him.

Sorry, i'm cranky lately whenever i see incorrect facts (goddamn trump's fault).

Posted by: BigRedHockeyFan (---.apn.wlan.upenn.edu)
Date: February 25, 2018 01:06AM

Schafer knows who's hurting and should sit. He knows best who needs ice time and who doesn't. I trust his judgement more than anyone else's.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 01:24AM

abmarks
RichH
abmarks

Sorry, i'm cranky lately whenever i see incorrect facts

FYP
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2018 01:43AM by toddlose.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: February 25, 2018 11:30AM

So a copy of a letter that I'm sending to Union's president.

Dear President Ainlay,

This past weekend I attended the Cornell University at Union College hockey game.

Although the hockey game was very exciting, and unfortunately my team lost, I was very upset by the way that our pep band was treated. Our pep band regularly travels to away men’s hockey games. Unfortunately I feel that the pep band was mistreated in a way that I have never seen from any other school.

The following discussion was obtained by talking to various members of the band and the band director. Because I was not privy to the exact conversation, it is possible that there are some inaccuracies, although I think the general tenor of the conversation is correct.

Upon setting up and getting ready to play before the game, the band director was approached by someone from the rink staff and given specific guidelines about when they could play. They were told that they could not play as the team was coming onto the ice before each period. Also they could not play our alma mater, which is traditionally done during the second intermission. Initially they were told that the only time they could play was after we scored a goal. Our band director said he eventually negotiated that they could play 3 times during each period.

I know there were other discussions that I’m not aware of, but I think the restrictions that were put on our band were excessive and unlike any that I have seen at other rinks. Maybe there was a good reason for these, although I certainly can’t imagine what it would be.

I hope you would agree that college bands add a lot to the enjoyment of these amateur events. Having watched Cornell hockey games for over 50 years, including having been to every ECAC rink, as well as many from other conferences, I have never experienced anything even remotely similar to what happened this past Saturday night. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, this has never happened at Union College before.

Maybe it is within Union’s right to impose these restrictions, but it certainly takes away from the enjoyment and atmosphere of a college hockey game. Because I do not know what rules the ECAC has for these matters, I’m sending a copy of this to Mr. Stephen Hagwell, as well as our band director and our athletic director.

I’m sure that you have more important matters to attend to, but I felt that sending this email to you would be the most efficient way of getting it to whoever is responsible.

Also, because I’m sure that you get a great many emails, I’m also sending you a mailed copy of this letter.

I appreciate your reading this and I would be happy to discuss this with you. In that regard I have included my cell phone number.

Yours truly,

James Hyla

Cornell University ‘67

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.sub-174-199-66.myvzw.com)
Date: February 25, 2018 11:33AM

+100

Date: February 25, 2018 12:01PM

Very good letter.

Posted by: KGR11 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 12:07PM

I remember Q being pretty bad as well. We started chanting "Let them [Q band] play!" whenever they played canned music.

Does Union have a band these days? Did they have any restrictions

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2018 12:11PM

Jim Hyla

Dear President Ainlay,

Union College has a new President, effective July 1:

[www.timesunion.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2018 12:12PM by andyw2100.

Date: February 25, 2018 12:15PM

Union is mostly annoying because it's ChildWorld. Everything is 'splosions and let's get ready to rummmmble and the general AHL atmosphere of a kindergarten.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 02:41PM

Cornell once had a goalie who won a Stanley Cup before he won a regular season game, won the Conn Smythe Trophy the year before he won the Calder Memorial Cup, was a goaltender in the NHL for 8 years and won 6 Stanley Cups. He has an excellent claim to being the best ice hockey goalie. Ever. Cornell did not win a national championship during his years playing for Cornell. Let's get real and ditch blaming or crediting a single team member for success or failure. Think Trump.

Date: February 25, 2018 02:46PM

Umm, 1967?

Date: February 25, 2018 03:22PM

osorojo
Cornell once had a goalie who won a Stanley Cup before he won a regular season game, won the Conn Smythe Trophy the year before he won the Calder Memorial Cup, was a goaltender in the NHL for 8 years and won 6 Stanley Cups. He has an excellent claim to being the best ice hockey goalie. Ever. Cornell did not win a national championship during his years playing for Cornell. Let's get real and ditch blaming or crediting a single team member for success or failure. Think Trump.

[www.tbrw.info]

Date: February 25, 2018 03:22PM

French Rage
Umm, 1967?

Fake news!!

- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (107.77.106.---)
Date: February 25, 2018 03:52PM

osorojo

I think I’m going hire a calligrapher to pen this and frame it.

This may be this forum’s “WHO HAVE THEY PLAYED?! BROM? DARMOTH” masterpiece.

I mean, we’re so used to correcting scoreboards & national media for giving Him TOO many National Titles that this caught me off guard.

Edit: (With all due respect, of course. Maybe I’m being a a harsh jackass again. But I live for college hockey internet, I’m sorry.)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2018 03:58PM by RichH.

Date: February 25, 2018 04:15PM

RichH
BROM? DARMOTH”

Will no one remember {PROVICED?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 05:00PM

Trotsky
osorojo

[www.tbrw.info]
Dryden won six regular-season games before the 1971 Stanley Cup playoffs.

Date: February 25, 2018 05:08PM

Trotsky
RichH
BROM? DARMOTH”

I believe I also neglected poor YAEL.

Regardless, this is illustrative of the higher level of discourse here.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2018 05:09PM by RichH.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.ftas.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 05:48PM

RichH
“WHO HAVE THEY PLAYED?! BROM? DARMOTH”
Amazing, where is this from?

Date: February 25, 2018 05:57PM

BearLover
RichH

2003-era USCHO message board, courtesy of some WCHA mouth-breather. It probably made the Hall-of-Fame of USCHO threads.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2018 07:09PM

RichH
BearLover
RichH

2003-era USCHO message board, courtesy of some WCHA mouth-breather. It probably made the Hall-of-Fame of USCHO threads.

Haha. That really is phenomenal

Date: February 25, 2018 07:51PM

Does anyone know the band director and who would be the best person in the AD's office, to cc my letter? I thought that they used to have assistants ADs responsible for each sport, but I don't see that now.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 08:08PM

According to the band website, the current Pep Band Manager is Zachary Brothers '20. Not sure who the athletics advisor is at this point.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 08:21PM

Good points. Union's going to think this is rich kids whining, though. (OK, you're not a kid any longer.) How about reaching out to the Union band, such as it is.

Date: February 25, 2018 08:26PM

Trotsky
RichH
BROM? DARMOTH”

I want to hear what #29 Union has to say.

Date: February 25, 2018 08:27PM

Chris '03
According to the band website, the current Pep Band Manager is Zachary Brothers '20. Not sure who the athletics advisor is at this point.

That's ridiculous, no way someone in college can be class of '20. That sounds like a made up year.

Right?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2018 08:39PM

French Rage
Chris '03

That's ridiculous, no way someone in college can be class of '20. That sounds like a made up year.

Right?

Well, as we see (repeatedly) during the intermissions on ILDN, E.B. White was a member of the class of ‘21 bolt

Date: February 25, 2018 08:43PM

Chris '03

Thanks, I got to the orgsync page and completely missed the website link. The picture looks like who I talked to, so it must be correct.

Date: February 25, 2018 08:46PM

French Rage
Chris '03

Right?

Everything now looks made up to me.

Date: February 26, 2018 07:40AM

RichH
Trotsky
RichH
BROM? DARMOTH”

I believe I also neglected poor YAEL.

Regardless, this is illustrative of the higher level of discourse here.
That's YLAE. YAEL is Gaelic for syphilis.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2018 02:18PM

French Rage
Trotsky
RichH
BROM? DARMOTH”

Did they drop three spots? [www.forbes.com]

Posted by: French Rage (38.99.127.---)
Date: February 26, 2018 04:44PM

ursusminor
French Rage
Trotsky
RichH
BROM? DARMOTH”

Did they drop three spots? [www.forbes.com]

Dammit! Mis-remembered the bit.

Date: February 26, 2018 04:50PM

Jim Hyla

Some follow-up. A reliable source tells me that he was told that the Union pep band wasn't there, because if they are sold out, as they were, they sell the pep band seats.

AND THIS WAS ON THEIR SENIOR NIGHT.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 26, 2018 05:25PM

Jim Hyla
Jim Hyla

Some follow-up. A reliable source tells me that he was told that the Union pep band wasn't there, because if they are sold out, as they were, they sell the pep band seats.

AND THIS WAS ON THEIR SENIOR NIGHT.
Your letter has been dutifully copied to the Union USCHO thread. It can be a real derpfest over there so I wouldn't expect much, but at least more people will see it.

Date: February 27, 2018 07:08AM

Just curious. Was there in problem the previous evening in Troy? I know that the Cornell band was there.

Posted by: marty (199.168.151.---)
Date: February 27, 2018 09:47AM

ursusminor
Just curious. Was there in problem the previous evening in Troy? I know that the Cornell band was there.

Of course not. There was a really good interaction between that bands as far as I could see and the best RPI dig was that when they played the Dragnet theme (a 50s and 60s TV show that the youngsters might not realize is our dirge played as the opposition enters the penalty box) the RPI band started Davy and transitioned into Dragnet. It was the best prank they have pulled this season and I tip my Cornell cap to their band.

In fact RPI even lets the Cornell band do Davy during the Cornell intros.

Date: February 27, 2018 09:54AM

marty
Is this because of a particular relationship between the current band leaders or just that RPI aren't little bitches like Union?

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-145.myvzw.com)
Date: February 27, 2018 10:31AM

Trotsky
marty
Is this because of a particular relationship between the current band leaders or just that RPI aren't little bitches like Union?

I don't know, but there is a history of collegial interaction between bands and my memory is that RPI and Cornell have even played together.

Union had their underwear knotted quite a few years ago too. When the band played less than I expected I asked the Red Band Director why and was told Union had forbid playing at certain times.

Date: February 27, 2018 11:03AM

I get the impression (not a bandy so I could totally be wrong) that Cornell, RPI, and Clarkson are really the only pep bands in the ECAC.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: February 27, 2018 11:59AM

marty
Trotsky
marty

I don't know, but there is a history of collegial interaction between bands and my memory is that RPI and Cornell have even played together.

Union had their underwear knotted quite a few years ago too. When the band played less than I expected I asked the Red Band Director why and was told Union had forbid playing at certain times.

I remember Cornell and RPI bands playing together at LP or Albany. I also have a vague memory of Cornell and SLU playing together at a tourney, but to be fair I may just be mis-remembering playing with RPI (same colors).

Date: February 27, 2018 12:00PM

Trotsky
I get the impression (not a bandy so I could totally be wrong) that Cornell, RPI, and Clarkson are really the only pep bands in the ECAC.

Yale has(d) one that didn't travel. My son still has his band Jersey. Jim will know more about the number of stagnant musicians.

In 2003 we visited "The (sold out) Whale". My son weedled some tickets for his parents. Then he resourcefully snuck his 15 year old sister into the band so she could enjoy the game. He also similarly rescued the younger brother of one of his classmates who was otherwise set to enjoy "The Vagina Monologues".

One of the Eli band's jokes was waving dollar bills at the refs as they skated by before the puck drop.

Date: February 27, 2018 12:07PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
Trotsky
marty

I remember Cornell and RPI bands playing together at LP or Albany. I also have a vague memory of Cornell and SLU playing together at a tourney, but to be fair I may just be mis-remembering playing with RPI (same colors).

Pep bands combine on a semi-regular basis in tourney situations for a variety of reasons. My favorite memory of this is the 1997 West Regional - the Minnesota band showed up early, during our game against Miami, so they combined with the Cornell pep band to play for us. Cornell's pep band stuck around after the Cornell win over Miami to play for Minnesota when they played Michigan State. Very friendly stuff.

- Steve Worona

Date: February 27, 2018 12:33PM

Beeeej
My favorite memory of this is the 1997 West Regional - the Minnesota band showed up early, during our game against Miami, so they combined with the Cornell pep band to play for us. Cornell's pep band stuck around after the Cornell win over Miami to play for Minnesota when they played Michigan State. Very friendly stuff.

That was fun but it was North Dakota, not MSU. Green though.

Date: February 27, 2018 12:39PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
My favorite memory of this is the 1997 West Regional - the Minnesota band showed up early, during our game against Miami, so they combined with the Cornell pep band to play for us. Cornell's pep band stuck around after the Cornell win over Miami to play for Minnesota when they played Michigan State. Very friendly stuff.

I assure you it was not. This was one of those awful years when the field was 12 teams; NoDak had a bye the first day, as did Michigan.

[en.wikipedia.org]

- Steve Worona

Date: February 27, 2018 01:05PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
Trotsky
marty

Maybe, but doubtful that it was SLU. They have rarely had a band. I've seen an instrument or two, but not a full band. However my memory of far away may not be accurate.

I think all ECAC schools, except SLU, currently, and Union have pep bands. How well they function can vary over time. Even Brown has shown a good band.

Going way back, to the 1966 ECACs, it was Brown, Clarkson, BU and us in the old Boston Arena, now Northeastern's rink. We did not have a band, but after Brown lost their game, they came over to their fellow Ivy and played for us.

Certainly Clarkson, RPI and we have the best and most determined, but PU's band even came to Ithaca this year.

As an aside, we joined the Clarkson band for a "concert" this year in Potsdam.

So yes, Union is on the bottom of the barrel.

Date: February 27, 2018 01:39PM

Beeeej
Trotsky
Beeeej

I assure you it was not. This was one of those awful years when the field was 12 teams; NoDak had a bye the first day, as did Michigan.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Huh. I completely misremember that whole deal. Aging sucks.

Date: February 27, 2018 01:46PM

marty
ursusminor

Of course not. There was a really good interaction between that bands as far as I could see and the best RPI dig was that when they played the Dragnet theme (a 50s and 60s TV show that the youngsters might not realize is our dirge played as the opposition enters the penalty box) the RPI band started Davy and transitioned into Dragnet. It was the best prank they have pulled this season and I tip my Cornell cap to their band.

Thanks. Now why can't the RPI hockey team be as good as the band, and even more so as good as RPI-TV? :`-(

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 27, 2018 02:05PM

Brown brought a Band for the first time I recall this year.

Date: February 27, 2018 02:28PM

ursusminor
marty
ursusminor

Thanks. Now why can't the RPI hockey team be as good as the band, and even more so as good as RPI-TV? :`-(
This is like that joke where the Germans are the cops and the Italians are the bureaucrats...

Date: February 27, 2018 02:34PM

Former Pep Bandie here.

Historically, there is some coordination between the pep bands at each game. They usually alternate playing in game breaks, for instance. Also, if there is something unusual in the game-day proceedings that's communicated to the visiting band (so they don't start playing and messing it up.) For example, some sort of tribute or something between periods. I'm assuming that this friendly co-ordination continues today.

Rink staff communicating to the band is absolutely within the norm. What's absurd in this situation is the message that the Union rink staff gave our band.

TLDR: The Union rink people are bitches

Date: February 27, 2018 02:57PM

abmarks
Former Pep Bandie here.

Historically, there is some coordination between the pep bands at each game. They usually alternate playing in game breaks, for instance. Also, if there is something unusual in the game-day proceedings that's communicated to the visiting band (so they don't start playing and messing it up.) For example, some sort of tribute or something between periods. I'm assuming that this friendly co-ordination continues today.

Rink staff communicating to the band is absolutely within the norm. What's absurd in this situation is the message that the Union rink staff gave our band.

TLDR: The Union rink people are bitches

Do you ever remember being asked to play the National Anthem as the visiting band? Somehow I think I witnessed this but it probably was a high school game. They show more sportsmanship at that level than many colleges.

(Union had a PA system anthem on Saturday.)

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2018 05:11PM

upprdeck

And, I believe, played with the Cornell Pep Band between periods.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.127.---)
Date: February 27, 2018 06:15PM

upprdeck
My freshman year, Brown's pep band came to Cornell and I remember they marched through West Campus before the game and we came out of our freshman dorms to taunt them. However, they had the last laugh when they pulled their goalie and scored an extra-man goal to tie the game and then beat us in OT. I later that night saw our goalie drinking beer out of a boot in the Chapter House.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login