Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell at RPI, 2/23/18

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell at RPI, 2/23/18
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 22, 2018 02:31PM

Weekend notes from CU.

Re: Cornell at RPI, 2/23/18
Posted by: KenP (137.75.68.---)
Date: February 22, 2018 03:33PM

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 09:50AM

RPI notes and pre-weekend video.

And the reason why the 'Tute doesn't have a Latin motto.rolleyes

Date: February 23, 2018 09:52AM

ursusminor
RPI notes and pre-weekend video.

And the reason why the 'Tute doesn't have a Latin motto.rolleyes

Not necessarily. It may be an all-women's game.

Date: February 23, 2018 10:05AM

Trotsky

Technically true, but ...

Before someone else comments. Yes, I do remember that I originally used the handle "ursaminor" here before someone mentioned that ursa is the female form.

Posted by: drs48 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 10:35AM

........it appears Mallot escaped a suspension...

Date: February 23, 2018 10:38AM

ursusminor
Trotsky

Technically true, but ...

Before someone else comments. Yes, I do remember that I originally used the handle "ursaminor" here before someone mentioned that ursa is the female form.
It still would have been fine. The constellation is Ursa Minor.

But come to think of it, shouldn't you be discusminor or apesminor?

Date: February 23, 2018 10:39AM

drs48
I thought they'd hammer him.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 23, 2018 11:01AM

perhaps the replays showed something different.. I know the first one was not a real hit.. Never saw the replay on the 2nd one.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: February 23, 2018 03:09PM

Trotsky
drs48

Posted by: French Rage (38.99.127.---)
Date: February 23, 2018 03:14PM

Trotsky
drs48

Join the club.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2018 06:03PM

Trotsky
drs48

Malott escapes suspension from league, but not from team ... not in lineup for tonight's game. (Mallot isn't in the lineup either ...)

Posted by: BigRedHockeyFan (---.apn.wlan.upenn.edu)
Date: February 23, 2018 06:15PM

McCrea and Smith back.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 06:35PM

BigRedHockeyFan
McCrea and Smith back.
Woohoo!

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 07:38PM

I don't know why Cornell constantly passes up Very Good shots for passes into traffic for what would be a Perfect Shot but I do know it cost us a golden opportunity with 10ish seconds left in the period.

Date: February 23, 2018 07:51PM

Best camera work and video quality I have seen this year.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2018 08:40PM

If you like RPI TV, please send them a check. I have no ties to RPI but know they both need and appreciate the donations. Like our band. [Send them a check, too]

Posted by: redliner (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 09:04PM

Anyone know what happened to Coach Schafer? RPI announcers said that he had to head to the locker room.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 09:27PM

They don't take PayPal or Bitcoin?

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 09:28PM

Schafer was not hit with a puck. So not clear.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 09:36PM

redliner
Anyone know what happened to Coach Schafer? RPI announcers said that he had to head to the locker room.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 09:40PM

Schafer was hit with a stick. He appears to be OK as reported by Sean Flanagan after the game.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2018 09:42PM

redliner

Asst coach said in the post game interview on WHCU that Mike took a pretty good whack to the head with a stick.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.128.104.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 09:44PM

I actually thought when I heard he went to the locker room that he was going to get a stick to break over his head. Oh, the irony!

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 09:51PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I actually thought when I heard he went to the locker room that he was going to get a stick to break over his head. Oh, the irony!

He's an old man, he can't take a stick to the head like he used to.

Date: February 23, 2018 09:56PM

From an RPI fan at the game:

They walked him out at the tunnel right in front of me. Held by each arm he was holding his temple like he had a bad headache. Heard the trainer (?) say “he didn’t know what happened.” The trainer returned the bench a couple minutes ago.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.128.104.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 10:06PM

Concussion protocol for the coach!

Date: February 23, 2018 10:10PM

Climb every mountain.

Date: February 23, 2018 10:45PM

Full game replay on youtube

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.ftas.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 10:49PM

BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]
RPI announcers instinctively thought Schafer was complaining about a call during the stoppage for him having taken a stick to the head.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2018 10:49PM by BearLover.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 11:02PM

BearLover
BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]
RPI announcers instinctively thought Schafer was complaining about a call during the stoppage for him having taken a stick to the head.

On a related note, was their color commentator drunk?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2018 11:03PM

French Rage
BearLover
BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]

On a related note, was their color commentator drunk?

No, he was just Norm MacDonald.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 24, 2018 08:43AM

BearLover
BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]
The RPI guys had a baseline of thinking (a) Schafer complains a lot; (b) Cornell dives a lot and (c) Cornell is very talented. I also thought they were refreshingly self-effacing about themselves and their team. And they call a good game.

Date: February 24, 2018 08:58AM

ugarte
BearLover
BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]
The RPI guys had a baseline of thinking (a) Schafer complains a lot; (b) Cornell dives a lot and (c) Cornell is very talented. I also thought they were refreshingly self-effacing about themselves and their team. And they call a good game.
I thought they were very good, although the PBP guy would sometimes spend an entire shift providing a background story rather than the tedium of actually calling the action.

I also didn't think the color guy was drunk. We have heard a color guy literally drunk on an undisclosed opponent's broadcast. It's unmistakable.

The RPI guys were cognizant that this isn't the "old" Cornell team. They certainly have the impression that a decade ago we were big, slow, left wing locking enemies of all that is graceful and beautiful in the sport, but they specifically noted that we have fast guys who can make moves and put the puck in the net now. Especially on D.

Speaking of which, was Smith glad to be back on the ice or what? He was like an enthusiastic puppy out there, enough that I was terrified he was going to let guys behind him. Either he didn't or McCrea took care of it when he did because I didn't see any mistakes.

Loved seeing us so relentless on the puck with back checking and hustling into the corners. Exactly what we were missing the first time we played the Engineers.

This was a great effort AFAIC. Carry it into tonight against Union and wrap the RS up in style.

Then, rest and heal.

Date: February 24, 2018 09:02AM

BearLover
BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]
That was embarrassing for them. "What's he bitching about now? (Pinter pause) Oh."

To be fair, Mike did used to lead the league in whining consistently. But he's really dialed it back in the last five years. Pecknold has taken the torch and run with it.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 09:41AM

BearLover
BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]

How's the stick doing? What condition is it in?

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 09:45AM

Swampy
BearLover
BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]

It's in The Concussion Protocol.bolt

Date: February 24, 2018 09:49AM

Trotsky
ugarte
BearLover
BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]

Speaking of which, was Smith glad to be back on the ice or what? He was like an enthusiastic puppy out there, enough that I was terrified he was going to let guys behind him. Either he didn't or McCrea took care of it when he did because I didn't see any mistakes.

Speaking of which, watching the first period on YouTube, I thought Smith walking in with the puck, up to the goal, was terrific. But on TV I could not see what was happening at the blue line.

The other defenseman, McCrea I think, rotated back towards either the right point or back center. Did a forward move towards the left point to cover for Smith?

I guess what I'm asking is if this was a play the team has practiced or if Smith was just improvising, perhaps too recklessly.

Date: February 24, 2018 10:26AM

Swampy
BearLover
BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]

Upper body injury. But given the hardness of Mike's head I would expect a long rehab.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 11:28AM

Swampy

ugarte
BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]

Speaking of which, watching the first period on YouTube, I thought Smith walking in with the puck, up to the goal, was terrific. But on TV I could not see what was happening at the blue line.

The other defenseman, McCrea I think, rotated back towards either the right point or back center. Did a forward move towards the left point to cover for Smith?

I guess what I'm asking is if this was a play the team has practiced or if Smith was just improvising, perhaps too recklessly.

I think that I should defer to Jim who has probably seen more of this in person than anyone else here....

The rotation of forwards to cover the defense has been great when I've been able to pay attention. In addition, at least once last night when I was in theory nervous about the jumping up of the defense, by the time RPI brought the puck back to the neutral zone, our daredevil D man had gotten back ahead of RPI. (I don't remember which player this was.)

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the regionals. We will see just how fast the team can play.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 12:17PM

what happened on the first RPI goal. someone was out of position

Date: February 24, 2018 12:23PM

upprdeck
what happened on the first RPI goal. someone was out of position
looked like a game of electric football where everyone on defense was along one wall when the engineers came streaking down three abreast. it was ... interesting. galajda almost had it but hayhurst probably won't see so much open ice between himself and the goal again until he's playing shinny with his kids.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 12:37PM

I guess I didn't mean a literal "check" but given my age and lack of tech saavy, I would not have thought of bitcoin. I charged my donation and received reward points....

Date: February 24, 2018 01:48PM

As I didn't see what happened, who supposedly hit Schafer on the head with a stick?

As to RPI's announcers, I'll be interested in hearing Perry Laskaris (the PBP man) this evening as he probably stayed up to watch the Olympic curling final as he is from Minnesota which I think is the only place which pays attention to curling in years which are not equal to 2 mod 4.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 02:56PM

marty
Swampy

ugarte
BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]

I think that I should defer to Jim who has probably seen more of this in person than anyone else here....

The rotation of forwards to cover the defense has been great when I've been able to pay attention. In addition, at least once last night when I was in theory nervous about the jumping up of the defense, by the time RPI brought the puck back to the neutral zone, our daredevil D man had gotten back ahead of RPI. (I don't remember which player this was.)

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the regionals. We will see just how fast the team can play.

I can't speak to that particular play, but it's been something that Schafer has been trying to do for a number of years. It's certainly been present over the past few years and this year it's probably maxed. I've even noted times where both defensemen are in deep. The forwards are excellent with dropping back.

We now have a large group of defensemen that are very good at skating and handling the puck, so our breakout is much better, as well as adding to the offense.

Date: February 24, 2018 04:46PM

Jim Hyla

I can't speak to that particular play, but it's been something that Schafer has been trying to do for a number of years. It's certainly been present over the past few years and this year it's probably maxed. I've even noted times where both defensemen are in deep. The forwards are excellent with dropping back.

We now have a large group of defensemen that are very good at skating and handling the puck, so our breakout is much better, as well as adding to the offense.

And with Rauter at forward, if he's dropping back you don't lose nothing at the defense.

All that time playing back last year makes him a secret weapon, and I would think by the time they're done here anyone who plays forward for Schafer for a few years would be pretty decent on defense too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login