Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 1 St. Lawrence 0

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 1 St. Lawrence 0
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2018 11:42AM

A win clinches third.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2018 08:37AM by Trotsky.

Re: Cornell @ St. Lawrence 2/10/18
Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2018 11:55AM

Trotsky
A win clinches third.
Interestingly, this predictor says that if we lose out--go 0-7, including losses against RPI, StL, and Brown, all in the bottom six of the PWR--we still have a 68% of making the NCAAs. My prior criticisms of this model don't apply to this case, but that still seems difficult to believe...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2018 11:58AM by BearLover.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-217-8.myvzw.com)
Date: February 10, 2018 01:09PM

We'd still be what, 19-9-2? That's a very good record. I'm guessing that model isn't factoring in the ECAC playoffs because we don't know who we'd play.

68% seems about right-ish. Keep in mind that a bad loss to RPI only dropped us from 1st to 3rd/4th or so.

Date: February 10, 2018 02:27PM

I think the RPI loss has (maybe fortuitously) made us forget that statistically at least this is one of the greatest seasons in Cornell history.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2018 02:28PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2018 03:42PM

Free feed from SLU tonight.

"Saints Athletics broadcasts available free of charge when viewed live thanks to gifts to St. Lawrence University’s General Athletic Fund"

[www.saintsathletics.com]

Date: February 10, 2018 06:46PM

Tonight's PWR scoreboard watch:

1 Notre Dame vs Ohio State
2 St. Cloud at Miami
3 Denver idle
4 Cornell at St. Lawrence

Posted by: A-19 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2018 07:42PM

SLU feed cut out on anyone else?

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2018 07:43PM

Announcer absolutely loves the Cornell band

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2018 07:43PM

A-19
SLU feed cut out on anyone else?

Still working for me with 7 mins left in first intermission

Date: February 10, 2018 07:56PM

my feed just died, said to reload the page. Video not coming back up though.

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2018 07:57PM

I really like the St. Lawrence announcer. He understands the game and his talking helps you understand what you are seeing.

Posted by: A-19 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2018 08:10PM

i restarted my laptop and that did the trick

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2018 08:10PM

also an interesting low angle and so far (around a minute since i tuned in) they follow the puck well)

Posted by: Iceberg (---.buffalo.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2018 08:20PM

KenP
I really like the St. Lawrence announcer. He understands the game and his talking helps you understand what you are seeing.

And on the other side, he's not hesitant to express his displeasure for the officials tonight.

Date: February 10, 2018 08:23PM

no problem with galajda but tell me more about these new guys "fleagle" and "bettis"

Date: February 10, 2018 08:30PM

Is this the most uninspired hockey ever or what?

And how do we get called for too many men *twice* in a game?

Date: February 10, 2018 08:33PM

abmarks

Disappointing effort so far, especially in light of RPI which was nearly an identical situation.

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2018 08:33PM

Is Schafer still out?

Date: February 10, 2018 08:36PM

TimV
Is Schafer still out?
No.

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2018 08:47PM

Trotsky
Tonight's PWR scoreboard watch:

1 Notre Dame vs Ohio State
2 St. Cloud at Miami
3 Denver idle
4 Cornell at St. Lawrence

tOSU up 2-1 after 2
St Cloud up 1-0 after 2

Date: February 10, 2018 09:04PM

Butt-ending major on SLU. I can't remember the last time I've seen one of those.

Date: February 10, 2018 09:13PM

Interesting weekend for the Big Red: 1 goal and 3 points.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2018 09:18PM

abmarks

Yeah, Cornell clearly had too many men on the ice many, many times. The announcer was harping on it, but he wasn't wrong - Cornell was lucky to only get caught on 2 of them.

This was a super sloppy game. It's like this wasn't even the same team that played Union just 8 days ago. Then again, given all the injuries, I guess in some sense it wasn't the same team that played Union 8 days ago.

Cornell wasn't lucky to win this game - they had the better of the play - but I think they were lucky to be up against an even sloppier and all around weaker SLU team.

Date: February 10, 2018 09:18PM

abmarks

I couldn't see the bench well, but the SLU play-by-play guy - who seemed like a straight shooter - said that there were at least two more uncalled. He also didn't see the butt-end, but then again neither did I because it was in a scrum in front of the Saints net. Never even said who took the wrong end of the stick and nobody seemed visibly hurt. He was definitely upset about a no-call boarding in the second that knocked one of their guys out for the rest of the game.

Our guys scored only 1 in the third but Starrett hit the pipe on an open net off of a beautiful pass from Angello and Yates got the puck right between the circles on a pass from ... I don't remember ... and one-timed it even though he had a LOT of time to make a move. The third was ALL Cornell.

Date: February 10, 2018 09:22PM

Colgate comes back to tie Clarkson.

Notre Dame getting their shit handed to them by Ohio State.

Date: February 10, 2018 09:26PM

Galajda now has 5 shut outs in his last 8 games.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2018 09:26PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2018 09:36PM

ugarte
no problem with galajda but tell me more about these new guys "fleagle" and "bettis"

He also kept talking about a Penn State wrestling match.

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2018 10:18PM

I enjoyed his commentary at the buzzer: “and Cornell wins a very Cornell-like 1-0 game”

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2018 11:08PM

too many ice is a pretty loosely called penalty most of the time.. really if he puck isnt close and the extra guys arent involved in a play directly they rarely call it,

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2018 12:58AM

upprdeck
too many ice is a pretty loosely called penalty most of the time.. really if he puck isnt close and the extra guys arent involved in a play directly they rarely call it,

Agree, every time you change lines you have too many. I thought the first one was a mandatory call. The second however, was more of a question. I’d like to see it again, but I think it was called because of how far onto the ice the new player was before the other got off. I didn’t think either were involved in the play.

Posted by: BigRedHockeyFan (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2018 02:27AM

Galajda looked unphased on Ryan Lough's breakaway. It's on the highlight video on the ECAC website. Galajda now leads the nation in GAA (1.47) and shutouts (8).

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2018 02:46AM

And his shutout streak is now back to 158:15 if my math is right.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2018 09:04AM

upprdeck

Unless I'm mistaken, if the puck isn't close and the extra guys aren't involved in a play directly, it's not a Too Many Men on the Ice infraction.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 11, 2018 11:26AM

Beeeej
upprdeck

Unless I'm mistaken, if the puck isn't close and the extra guys aren't involved in a play directly, it's not a Too Many Men on the Ice infraction.

There in is the problem of interpretation. The puck can even be close and if a player elects not to touch it, it may not be called. I've seen many times when a player lets a puck go by and doesn't touch it, because they're in a line change. But what constitutes "involved" is obviously open to interpretation.

From what I remember on the second call last night, neither player was involved with the puck, but the player coming on was well toward mid ice before the player coming off got to the bench.

Re: Cornell 1 St. Lawrence 0
Posted by: margolism (---.226.133.131.static.quadranet.com)
Date: February 11, 2018 01:20PM

Following up on someone else's comment a while ago, in 2018, Cornell has only allowed one goal in the six games that Cairns has played.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2018 08:22PM

margolism
Following up on someone else's comment a while ago, in 2018, Cornell has only allowed one goal in the six games that Cairns has played.

Cairns has played in seven games. In the first game, Niagara scored four goals, two of which he was directly responsible for. In the remaining six games, Cornell has allowed only one goal; Cairns has spent most of those games watching from the bench, playing maybe one or two shifts a period.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-214-105.myvzw.com)
Date: February 11, 2018 08:30PM

ACM
margolism

Cairns has played in seven games. In the first game, Niagara scored four goals, two of which he was directly responsible for. In the remaining six games, Cornell has allowed only one goal; Cairns has spent most of those games watching from the bench, playing maybe one or two shifts a period.

:-)

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2018 09:27PM

marty
ACM
margolism

The Niagara game was in 2017. In calendar year 2018 he has played in six games (I defer to others regarding his on ice time in those games.) In those six games Cornell has only allowed one goal.

Date: February 11, 2018 09:38PM

margolism
marty
ACM
margolism

The Niagara game was in 2017. In calendar year 2018 he has played in six games (I defer to others regarding his on ice time in those games.) In those six games Cornell has only allowed one goal.

While it’s true that he has not played a full contingent of shifts, I think he is playing a lot better of late. Particularly at SLU he seemed to be playing more and with more confidence. Certainly not the same mistakes that he was making earlier. Hopefully it means he’s getting more attuned to the college game, we need him.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2018 07:53AM

margolism
marty
ACM
margolism
Nice escape from a near-pin. That was a very good use of stats until Arthur chimed in with an unfortunate reality check. Been a victim of that myself.

Date: February 12, 2018 08:11AM

billhoward
Nice escape from a near-pin. That was a very good use of stats until Arthur chimed in with an unfortunate reality check. Been a victim of that myself.
FWIW I had no problem understanding that OP was restricting scope to calendar 2018, possibly because it was stated in the post.

Date: February 12, 2018 08:49AM

billhoward
margolism
marty
ACM
margolism

Most of the time, the use of stats is highly selective - especially in sports, and especially with regards to in-season streaks.

Regarding Cairns on ice time, or on ice time for any player, I wish player hockey statistics were normalized to adjust for total # of shifts and actual time on the ice. It is much easier to be a points producer when you are placing 16 to 20 minutes per game versus six or seven. Not to mention intangibles such as the ability to get into a better rhythm, etc. Given the variance in on-ice time from player to player, this would give me a better sense of player contributions.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-214-101.myvzw.com)
Date: February 12, 2018 11:17AM

margolism
billhoward
margolism
marty
ACM
margolism

Most of the time, the use of stats is highly selective - especially in sports, and especially with regards to in-season streaks.

Regarding Cairns on ice time, or on ice time for any player, I wish player hockey statistics were normalized to adjust for total # of shifts and actual time on the ice....

I wish to go to the games and watch the symphony.

Date: February 12, 2018 12:56PM

margolism
billhoward
margolism
marty
ACM
margolism

Regarding Cairns on ice time, or on ice time for any player, I wish player hockey statistics were normalized to adjust for total # of shifts and actual time on the ice. It is much easier to be a points producer when you are placing 16 to 20 minutes per game versus six or seven. Not to mention intangibles such as the ability to get into a better rhythm, etc. Given the variance in on-ice time from player to player, this would give me a better sense of player contributions.

But of course if you're playing 20 min vs. 6 min, it means the coaches think you're a better player. You can go on forever with this. What knid of situations are you thrown on the ice? Better players are in tougher situations. Better d'men might have decreased performance, just because of situations. Same for F/O men. Top offensive forwards might not be put in defensive situations. On and on, where we stop nobody knows.

I like letting the coaches worry about those things and just enjoying the symphony.

Date: February 12, 2018 03:13PM

Jim Hyla
margolism
billhoward
margolism
marty
ACM
margolism

But of course if you're playing 20 min vs. 6 min, it means the coaches think you're a better player. You can go on forever with this. What knid of situations are you thrown on the ice? Better players are in tougher situations. Better d'men might have decreased performance, just because of situations. Same for F/O men. Top offensive forwards might not be put in defensive situations. On and on, where we stop nobody knows.

I like letting the coaches worry about those things and just enjoying the symphony.

I'm fine with better players getting more ice time - but when it comes to, say, scoring, that should be normalized against actual playing time. I think the place where this really comes into play is scoring, where points per game is a commonly used metric. True, better players get more ice time - so I would then assume that the amount of points they score per minute played would be higher than a 4th liner, on a per minutes played basis.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 12, 2018 03:24PM

margolism
Jim Hyla
margolism
billhoward
margolism
marty
ACM
margolism

I'm fine with better players getting more ice time - but when it comes to, say, scoring, that should be normalized against actual playing time. I think the place where this really comes into play is scoring, where points per game is a commonly used metric. True, better players get more ice time - so I would then assume that the amount of points they score per minute played would be higher than a 4th liner, on a per minutes played basis.
yeah but it's a chicken-egg thing. sure, a 4th liner gets fewer PPG because they have fewer minutes but it's unlikely that they're scoring more PPM - that's how they ended up on the 4th line.

Date: February 12, 2018 03:32PM

ugarte
margolism
Jim Hyla
margolism
billhoward
margolism
marty
ACM
margolism

yeah but it's a chicken-egg thing. sure, a 4th liner gets fewer PPG because they have fewer minutes but it's unlikely that they're scoring more PPM - that's how they ended up on the 4th line.

Only way to know for sure is to do the math. Stranger things have been revealed when doing a large data set analysis.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2018 03:34PM

On the other hand, normalizing TOI for Damian Rocke would make for some very interesting statistics. 15 PIM for 1 minute of playing time = 900 PIM per game.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 03:35PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-214-100.myvzw.com)
Date: February 12, 2018 04:39PM

Trotsky
On the other hand, normalizing TOI for Damian Rocke would make for some very interesting statistics. 15 PIM for 1 minute of playing time = 900 PIM per game.

How about shutouts per games played. Is Stewart still leading? I won't do the math!

Date: February 12, 2018 05:10PM

marty
Trotsky

How about shutouts per games played. Is Stewart still leading? I won't do the math!

If you adjust by Mins, then Galajda has 1267 Mins = 21.12 Game-equivalents (GE), so his shutouts ratio is .38. Stewart's 554 Mins give him 9.23 GE for a shutout ratio of .33 (but, SSS).

Other Cornell goalies:
.38 Galajda 8 SO 21.12 GE
.24 LeNeveu 11 SO 46.47 GE
.18 Kennedy 10 SO 56.35 GE
.17 McKee 18 SO 103.22 GE
.17 Scrivens 19 SO 111.83 GE
.16 Dryden 13 SO 80.73 GE 
.12 Gillam 11 SO 92.93 GE
.08 Iles 9 SO 119.00 GE

The other way of putting this is if Galajda kept his pace then when he equaled Scrivens' GE he would have 42 shutouts.
Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 05:17PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 12, 2018 05:33PM

Trotsky
Absurd example helps prove the point that there's room for more meaningful stats especially if you include a minimum floor of minutes played. If a Pine Line / FUGOWI player (now called the Energy Line) gets one-third the minutes of Angello's line, then their goals, PIM, assists could be scaled up to, say, points/assists/shots/PIM per 20 minutes ice time which would roughly equate to what a first-line player gets.

Date: February 12, 2018 05:36PM

Nice. A lot harder if you had to run over to Upson Hall with a new set of batch cards for processing. Now you just gotta say, Alexa, recalculate Galajda's stats. Assuming she parses it right. I just told the car, except Siri leaned in, to "tune to S X M one-twenty-four," and Siri heard the S-X part too well. She told me, "I'm not going to do that."

Posted by: RichH (---.northgrum.com)
Date: February 12, 2018 05:43PM

Stewart's GAA (1.01) and SV% (0.956) both would lead the NCAA by a large margin (and be all-time single-season records). Given that for his stats to "count" in the NCAA category leaders he would need to play in 33% of the team's minutes. He's currently at 15.7%. If Stewart plays the remainder of the regular season, he gets up to 27.3% In order to get to the 33% point, he would have to play up to three games in the playoffs without throwing up a stinker. (THIS IS JUST A MATH EXERCISE I WAS PONDERING, PEOPLE.)

Now on the more real side of things, Galajda currently owns the #7 best GAA season in NCAA history.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 05:46PM by RichH.

Date: February 12, 2018 06:18PM

RichH
Stewart's GAA (1.01) and SV% (0.956) both would lead the NCAA by a large margin (and be all-time single-season records). Given that for his stats to "count" in the NCAA category leaders he would need to play in 33% of the team's minutes. He's currently at 15.7%. If Stewart plays the remainder of the regular season, he gets up to 27.3% In order to get to the 33% point, he would have to play up to three games in the playoffs without throwing up a stinker. (THIS IS JUST A MATH EXERCISE I WAS PONDERING, PEOPLE.)

If you promise me Stewart will maintain 1.01 / .956 for the remainder of this season I'll bench Galajda right now! banana

Date: February 12, 2018 09:03PM

Iceberg
Butt-ending major on SLU. I can't remember the last time I've seen one of those.

And now the guy who did it, Gicewicz, gets suspended for 1 game by the ECAC. He won't be playing Friday against Harvard.

[www.uscho.com]

Date: February 12, 2018 09:18PM

You're not supposed to say "shutout" to avoid jinxing the goalie / team. Probably not "reversion to mean," either then.

Date: February 12, 2018 10:30PM

Iceberg
Iceberg

And now the guy who did it, Gicewicz, gets suspended for 1 game by the ECAC. He won't be playing Friday against Harvard.
i still don't know who got poked

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2018 10:42PM

Rule book
Players may be changed at any time from the players' bench, provided the player or players leaving the ice always are at the players' bench and out of play before any change is made.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2018 10:59PM

billhoward
Nice. A lot harder if you had to run over to Upson Hall with a new set of batch cards for processing. Now you just gotta say, Alexa, recalculate Galajda's stats. Assuming she parses it right. I just told the car, except Siri leaned in, to "tune to S X M one-twenty-four," and Siri heard the S-X part too well. She told me, "I'm not going to do that."

Upson Hall? How about driving out to the airport?

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2018 07:13AM

and this is where the vagueness of the changing rule comes into play.. "at the bench" is that touching the board? within 3=5=10ft? clearly going off the ice?

you could clean up the rule. player must be going over the boards or thru the door before replacement can touch the ice. Would that really change much except to make it more obvious when its a penalty?

Its almost like the baseball "in the vicinity rule" at 2nd base.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 07:16AM by upprdeck.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: February 13, 2018 07:37AM

If you made it touching the boards or something like that, it would make changing on the fly that much more difficult. I'm sure there would be more odd-man rushes or at least more scoring.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 13, 2018 10:37AM

wouldnt that be a good thing?

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 13, 2018 10:39AM

upprdeck
wouldnt that be a good thing?
i don't know... the Lowell goal that got waved off was hilariously dumb. the shift change was like nightcrawler BAMFing 40 feet up the ice.

Date: February 13, 2018 12:35PM

Swampy
billhoward
And we were both in awe of what came later when you could put a VDT in your dorm with a 300-baud dial-up modem. All if ancient history.

Re: Cornell 1 St. Lawrence 0 - crimes in the news
Date: February 13, 2018 12:37PM

"ECAC Hockey announced Monday that St. Lawrence sophomore forward Carson Gicewicz has been assessed a one-game suspension as the result of his actions in the Cornell-St. Lawrence game from Saturday, Feb. 10.

"The league action was taken after review of an incident that occurred at the 15:04 mark of the third period in the Saints-Big Red game where Gicewicz was assessed a major penalty for butt-ending and a game misconduct penalty.

Gicewicz is not eligible to play in St. Lawrence’s next game on Friday, Feb. 16, when the Saints travel to Harvard."
[www.uscho.com]
[edit add: see this was posted already.]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 01:07PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2018 12:45PM

billhoward
Swampy
billhoward
And we were both in awe of what came later when you could put a VDT in your dorm with a 300-baud dial-up modem. All if ancient history.

I liked it better when we would fill in coding sheets and drop them off at Rand Hall (is this right) for the typists to keypunch. (How much on a bet the typists were all female?)

Date: February 13, 2018 01:05PM

Swampy
billhoward
Swampy
billhoward
I liked it better when we would fill in coding sheets and drop them off at Rand Hall (is this right) for the typists to keypunch. (How much on a bet the typists were all female?)
As for maximizing value from the Cornell facilities: Some secretarial stations were in public hallways. I carried my own IBM Selectric ball and could type high quality papers late at night. Also carried a spare ribbon in case the admin's ribbon was near the end.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login