Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Radio

Posted by arugula 
Radio
Posted by: arugula (---.s2163.c3-0.avec-cbr2.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: January 27, 2018 09:10PM

Who is doing color with Jason at Dartmouth? Keeps saying “we”. Drives me nuts.

Re: Radio
Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2018 09:29PM

Tim Vanini

Re: Radio!
Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2018 10:19PM

Cop at Lynah
Tim Vanini
Tim can say “we” or anything else he wishes. Just look up his stats while at Cornell.

Date: January 28, 2018 01:23AM

I was there during the Nieuwendyk years so Tim Vanini’s stats don’t particularly impress and aren’t particularly relevant. In any event, I just prefer a less obvious homer for listening. Jason’s a bit of a homer and that’s to be expected from any home town announcer but “we” is a bit much. Phil Rizzuto didn’t even say “we” after 55 years with the Yankees. Small point but I hadn’t noticed before tonight but I dont listen to a ton of games.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (209.36.16.---)
Date: January 28, 2018 01:54AM

arugula
I was there during the Nieuwendyk years so Tim Vanini’s stats don’t particularly impress and aren’t particularly relevant. In any event, I just prefer a less obvious homer for listening. Jason’s a bit of a homer and that’s to be expected from any home town announcer but “we” is a bit much. Phil Rizzuto didn’t even say “we” after 55 years with the Yankees. Small point but I hadn’t noticed before tonight but I dont listen to a ton of games.

He doesn't usually do games. This might have been his first this season.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2018 09:05AM

a radio guy saying WE is different than a a former player saying WE..

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2018 09:10AM

upprdeck
a radio guy saying WE is different than a a former player saying WE..

Granted. But Arugula's point about Phil Rizzuto addresses the former-player case. IMHO, the question is which is more classy?

Date: January 28, 2018 09:15AM

Last night his role was to be a radio guy. Using we immediately undermines your credibility analyzing the game. Listening on radio puts you in complete reliance on the announcers. If you can’t trust the descriptions why bother listening? I don’t expect complete objectivity but at least a good faith attempt. If they can’t do that, I’d rather hear a student broadcast, because such transparent bias (setting aside his dubious competence) is amateur ish, but Cornell never has that. If not students, just as soon hear Jason work solo as he’s a better analyst than his sidekicks anyway

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (12.226.25.---)
Date: January 28, 2018 09:29AM

arugula
Last night his role was to be a radio guy. Using we immediately undermines your credibility analyzing the game. Listening on radio puts you in complete reliance on the announcers. If you can’t trust the descriptions why bother listening? I don’t expect complete objectivity but at least a good faith attempt. If they can’t do that, I’d rather hear a student broadcast, because such transparent bias (setting aside his dubious competence) is amateur ish, but Cornell never has that. If not students, just as soon hear Jason work solo as he’s a better analyst than his sidekicks anyway
In general I agree about homerism, but I think you're making somewhat too much of this. And I suspect Tim is "competent" on the subject of hockey.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2018 09:30AM

arugula

I appreciate what you are saying in general, but in this instance everything is fine.

There is an objectivity spectrum of voices from most (0) to least (5):

0. League officials
1. Media professionals
2. Guests (including university suits and gliterati)
3. Coaches
4. Players
5. Guy at the bar who still wants to fight Matt Nickerson

Vanini is Type 2. Jason's regular (splendid) color guy (I've been hearing him for 20 years but I still only know his as "Counselor";) observes the Type 1 aesthetic.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2018 09:32AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2018 10:51AM

getting bent out of shape about "we" is a psychological disorder

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2018 10:52AM

ugarte

We knew you would say that.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2018 11:01AM

since when are Home announcers not allowed to be Homers? and Rizzuto was as over the top Homer as it gets. Some schools its all about the WE, listen to a ND radio broadcast. the show is being broadcast for the "WE" fans not the avg person so why shouldn't it cater to that?

Listen to SU broadcasts. When Turrico/McDounagh? are doing national shows its one style, but when they come back and step in for the local guys, they are SU guys.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2018 11:09AM

the brown broadcast is still one of the funniest things i've ever heard.

i liked the dartmouth crew a lot. really solid call.

Date: January 28, 2018 11:47AM

upprdeck
since when are Home announcers not allowed to be Homers? and Rizzuto was as over the top Homer as it gets. Some schools its all about the WE, listen to a ND radio broadcast. the show is being broadcast for the "WE" fans not the avg person so why shouldn't it cater to that?

Listen to SU broadcasts. When Turrico/McDounagh? are doing national shows its one style, but when they come back and step in for the local guys, they are SU guys.
Because homerism is fucking horrible. Grady and Adam and Jason have all been fantastic and have all been anti-homer. We have been blessed.

Homer announcers can die in a fire.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2018 12:47PM

Trotsky
upprdeck

Because homerism is fucking horrible. Grady and Adam and Jason have all been fantastic and have all been anti-homer. We have been blessed.

Yeah, I was recently listening to an NFL game on Sirius and the color guy (a former player I assume) kept using “we” and consistently shouted over the PBP guy during the play. Not a fan of that type of thing. Announcers can certainly pull for “their” team without being embarrassing about it.

Date: January 28, 2018 01:56PM

scoop85
Trotsky
upprdeck

Yeah, I was recently listening to an NFL game on Sirius and the color guy (a former player I assume) kept using “we” and consistently shouted over the PBP guy during the play. Not a fan of that type of thing. Announcers can certainly pull for “their” team without being embarrassing about it.

Exactly

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2018 01:59PM

Trotsky
upprdeck

Oui, oui, mais ici, non.

Date: January 28, 2018 02:07PM

ugarte

Don’t think I was bent out of shape but I think it’s more of a mental disorder. Psychological is too fancy. But seriously, I thought it was a fair comment about something that was undermining an otherwise good broadcast. In any event, setting aside the “we” business, I don’t think Hockey Night in Canada will be calling Tim anytime soon. As someone said above, I’m sure he knows plenty of hockey but knowing and explaining clearly and quickly on the radio are different animals.

Date: January 28, 2018 02:14PM

marty
Trotsky
upprdeck

Oui, oui, mais ici, non.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2018 02:15PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2018 03:05PM

Beeeej
ugarte

Multiple voices in your head?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2018 03:08PM

abmarks
Beeeej
ugarte

Multiple voices in your head?

No, thanks.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2018 09:54PM

On a side note, I thought both the Harvard and Dartmouth announcers were pretty decent this weekend. Much more praise for Cornell's talent and system then I would have expected.

Posted by: Chuck Henderson (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2018 03:41AM

Grady and Adam and Jason have all been fantastic and have all been anti-homer. We have been blessed.

But we shouldn't forget the duo of Roy Ives and Tom Joseph (a casual friend of mine, a class behind me at IHS, who died a few years ago), who were quite the opposite but great in their own way. I can't remember when they stopped doing the broadcasts--it seems like only yesterday--but maybe before Greg's time. Then there was Sam Woodside in the beginning, who couldn't be said to be exactly neutral.

I understand about homer announcers, especially having listened to a lot of them in baseball following my team in the years before satellite (the Cardinals version of Harry Caray was actually kind of fun, before he got old with the Cubs). But I thought Vanini was fine and can't imagine even Harvard or Dartmouth listeners, if there had been any, would have been bothered.

Date: January 29, 2018 04:14AM

Chuck Henderson

Grady and Adam and Jason have all been fantastic and have all been anti-homer. We have been blessed.

But we shouldn't forget the duo of Roy Ives and Tom Joseph (a casual friend of mine, a class behind me at IHS, who died a few years ago), who were quite the opposite but great in their own way. I can't remember when they stopped doing the broadcasts--it seems like only yesterday--but maybe before Greg's time.
Grady is our first announcer I have any memory of though I may have caught the end of the prior regime (started fall 81).

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 08:09AM

The media provide both information and opinions for both the curious and the bigoted, from sports to politics. Nothing new here, move on, folks.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 10:55AM

Trotsky
But we shouldn't forget the duo of Roy Ives and Tom Joseph (a casual friend of mine, a class behind me at IHS, who died a few years ago), who were quite the opposite but great in their own way. I can't remember when they stopped doing the broadcasts--it seems like only yesterday--but maybe before Greg's time.
Grady is our first announcer I have any memory of though I may have caught the end of the prior regime (started fall 81).[/quote]

Roy Ives stopped doing the games in 1989 or 1990.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 10:58AM

Trotsky

I agree with all of these sentiments :)

But seriously, thank you. You have no idea how blessed I felt to get the gig in the first place, and how much I wish I was still doing them. My tenure was relatively brief but wonderful.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 04:57PM

I remember Roy Ives. One of the best.

Date: January 29, 2018 06:23PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I wish we had tapes.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2018 06:40PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
I wish we had tapes.

There are recordings of the March 6, 1979 CU-Providence game floating around.... Roy & Tom Joseph did that game. Roy was THE best!!

Dork alert: I have taken my walkman to home games for years... I learned much abt hockey from Roy/Tom.... When Roy said (on the radio) that the puck was in some certain place on the ice, that is exactly where the puck was located (at that time)... He had an uncanny ability to saty up with the flow of the game.... None of his successors have had that great talent... They all have to "fudge" a bit to keep things flowing... Hard to explain here... I'm not knocking the others... Just explaining what sets Roy out from the rest. Play-by-play is difficult!

Posted by: French Rage (38.99.127.---)
Date: January 29, 2018 07:18PM

Trotsky
5. Guy at the bar who still wants to fight Matt Nickerson

And I could totally take him too!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2018 07:30PM

I've known Roy quite well for many years and had the pleasure of working with him back in the 60s and 70s at WHCU. He told me that when he was growing up, he'd listen to Foster Hewitt broadcasting Hockey Night in Canada and as he got into hockey broadcasting, he worked very hard to emulate Foster in describing the action; not only what was happening, but where on the ice it was occurring. Over his years of broadcasting Cornell Hockey, he became very adept at it.

Roy was usually very cool and collected as he broadcast games. But then there's the Cornell-Providence game from March 6, 1979. Here a video with Arthur describing the game and Roy's call of the tying and winning goals.

Roy has been retired for many years now. I occasionally see him at games and around town.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: January 30, 2018 06:14PM

Trotsky
upprdeck

Here's a demonstration using the highlights video of the insane Harvard-Clarkson game a few weeks ago. The difference in volume between a Clarkson goal @ 1:59 of the video and a Harvard goal @ 2:23 makes me chuckle. You can almost hear the sound of his pout after an amazing sequence of consecutive 2-on-1s.

[www.youtube.com]

Gone are the days of Bob Ahfeld and Josh Bartell for Clarkson radio. They always called a fair and excellent game. One thing I've always liked about Cornell's broadcast teams is the genuine level of excitement for exciting plays by either team.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2018 07:58PM

Trotsky

Live coverage of blue seats watching tonight's game on ESPN3. Q up 2-1 after one. Switzer having a rough year.

Go tigers.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2018 09:06PM

RichH
Trotsky
upprdeck

Here's a demonstration using the highlights video of the insane Harvard-Clarkson game a few weeks ago. The difference in volume between a Clarkson goal @ 1:59 of the video and a Harvard goal @ 2:23 makes me chuckle. You can almost hear the sound of his pout after an amazing sequence of consecutive 2-on-1s.

[www.youtube.com]

Gone are the days of Bob Ahfeld and Josh Bartell for Clarkson radio. They always called a fair and excellent game. One thing I've always liked about Cornell's broadcast teams is the genuine level of excitement for exciting plays by either team.
Holy smokes, not sure what was worse, the announcing or the goaltending.

marty
Live coverage of blue seats watching tonight's game on ESPN3. Q up 2-1 after one. Switzer having a rough year.

Go tigers.
Q announcer is very good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login