Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Fake News?

Posted by Johnny 5 
Fake News?
Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2018 10:22AM

#1 (tie) in the ECAC, #1 Ivy League, most shutouts by a freshman goalie in CU history (tie), #1 in national win %, #1 in Pairwise (tie), #2 in longest win streak behind ND.

And, still news outlets like USCHO and CHN give us barely a mention??

“What’s a team gotta do to get some respect?” ~R. Dangerfield

panic
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 10:24AM by Johnny 5.

Re: Fake News?
Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 10:33AM

Johnny 5
#1 (tie) in the ECAC, #1 Ivy League, most shutouts by a freshman goalie in CU history (tie), #1 in national win %, #1 in Pairwise (tie), #2 in longest win streak behind ND.

panic

I like staying under the radar

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2018 10:33AM

Johnny 5

panic

Last week USCHO did a feature article on Cornell

Date: January 21, 2018 01:42PM

scoop85
Johnny 5

panic

Last week USCHO did a feature article on Cornell

Oh, yeah...I forgot about that one!
Guess, I was hoping for an avalanche of coverage after this weekend’s developments.

Time will tell.

whistle

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 01:45PM

Johnny 5
most shutouts by a freshman goalie in CU history (tie)

To be fair, this keeps getting mentioned but it's not a big deal. Get to 10 and we'll talk. cheer

Date: January 21, 2018 02:33PM

Trotsky
Johnny 5

To be fair, this keeps getting mentioned but it's not a big deal. Get to 10 and we'll talk. cheer

Agreed.
I was just trying to keep busy before football today.
But, I still think our team is under appreciated.
I could be biased? 40 years of riding the pine at Lynah will do that to you.

Date: January 21, 2018 03:32PM

Johnny 5
Trotsky
Johnny 5

Agreed.
I was just trying to keep busy before football today.
But, I still think our team is under appreciated.
I could be biased? 40 years of riding the pine at Lynah will do that to you.
I'm with abmarks, I love being unappreciated. All I want is for Western Factory U to look past us in the NC$$s because "EZAC."

Date: January 21, 2018 04:39PM

Date: January 23, 2018 06:08PM

Well, Cornell finally gets some respect, sort of (grudgingly).
Guess there was a dearth of positive western hockey news?

[www.uscho.com]

cheer

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.128.104.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 23, 2018 06:42PM

Johnny 5

[www.uscho.com]

cheer

Wow, what a nasty article.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: January 24, 2018 11:58AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Johnny 5

[www.uscho.com]

cheer

Wow, what a nasty article.

What's nasty about:

Now Cornell’s unbeaten streak is at eight (7-0-1) with two impressive shutout wins over Colgate this weekend, earning the Big Red 15 first-place votes.

or:

There was talk this weekend, too, of Cornell’s chances for a top seed in postseason, and I immediately thought of the Big Red’s strength of schedule with the remaining games. A few losses may change Cornell’s fortunes. Of course, if Cornell takes care of business on its own, that’s a moot point.

Jim: I’ll admit that I haven’t really jumped onto the Cornell bandwagon … until now.

I think shutouts are difficult in college hockey, so when a team posts two in a row against a nationally-ranked opponent in a very important league series, you can draw a lot of attention.

The ability of Cornell to shut down Colgate can’t be overlooked.

The thought that the Big Red could jump into a No. 1 seed is quite possible.

or:

Cornell got a bit of experience last season by reaching the NCAA field, so that may help. But seeds likely won’t matter in this year’s tournament as all 16 teams will likely be able to win.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 24, 2018 03:02PM

Jim Hyla

What's nasty about: ...
Agreed, jim. People saying that they were doubters who are coming around sounds a lot like... eLynah.

Date: January 25, 2018 06:38AM

ugarte
Jim Hyla

Agreed, jim. People saying that they were doubters who are coming around sounds a lot like... eLynah.

Yes, guess I stirred the wrong pot. My forte.
Seems like they would rather not appreciate Cornell, but they might have to?
I suppose this weekend will be a major determinant??

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: January 25, 2018 08:47AM

Johnny 5
ugarte
Jim Hyla

Yes, guess I stirred the wrong pot. My forte.
Seems like they would rather not appreciate Cornell, but they might have to?
I suppose this weekend will be a major determinant??

The ECAC is, probably justifiably, always going to be looked at as a question mark. That's especially true, in a year like this, when the league is suffering from general weakness. The key is that Pairwise Rankings don't depend upon opinion. (At least after the criteria are put in place. We could argue about criteria.)

I have significant doubts that CU can maintain their lofty position, considering the teams we've played and our remarkable shooting percentage. I'd rather we remain in the background until we show we can win more tough games on the road. i.e. Harvard and Clarkson. Win those 2 and we belong in the conversation. Lose those and we become a team that can be in the NCAA tourney mix. Lose those 2 and don't make the ECAC Finals, well??????

Posted by: KenP (140.90.170.---)
Date: January 25, 2018 08:57AM

Let's ask the question in a different way. Is Cornell'18 as scary as Clarkson'18? Or Yale or Quinnipiac or Union or Sucks from recent seasons? If I were a betting man I don't know if I'd put this team as the favorite in any of those match-ups....

We are good; still not sure if we are elite.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 08:58AM by KenP.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 09:20AM

KenP
Let's ask the question in a different way. Is Cornell'18 as scary as Clarkson'18? Or Yale or Quinnipiac or Union or Sucks from recent seasons? If I were a betting man I don't know if I'd put this team as the favorite in any of those match-ups....

We'll find out soon enough.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 25, 2018 10:10AM

I didnt look at the stats but does Cornell have a high shooting percentage if you analyze it subjectively? Just watching the games and the quality of the chances it feels like we are under shooting. Clarkson has the same sh% as us, there is only a 4% difference from best to worst, but nothing shows how good the shots are.. I know there are some numbers for this in the NHL stats. it could be we score on 12% of all shots and 20% of quality shots and clarkson scores on 12% of all shots and 50% on quality shots? who knows? interesting to see us so high in scoring and in the bottom 3rd in PP which usually where many of the best shots come from.. Coach even mentioned last week the 5x5 play has been really solid and leading to most of our scoring and that means a lot when games are played clean

Posted by: RichH (---.une.net.co)
Date: January 25, 2018 11:05AM

KenP
Let's ask the question in a different way. Is Cornell'18 as scary as Clarkson'18?

I’d say that Clarkson’18 has almost as much to prove nationally as Cornell. (The game at Lynah giving them the edge.) They’re a team that did well in 2017 but didn’t make the conference semis and lost at least one TERRIFIC defenseman to graduation. We thought they’d be in the race for the ECAC, but national top 5? Not many expected that, and they still have to prove their mettle to many outsiders, as do we.

Really, I think Denver was the only solid national favorite, and throw in Notre Dame’s progress from 2017 (and the usual suspects like Duluth & DakotHawks) and the rest have to earn a seat.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2018 11:14AM

KenP

I will say one thing, though - it's really nice, for a change, to be asking these questions.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 25, 2018 03:28PM

I considered putting this in a new thread for this upcoming weekend until I got to the next-to-last paragraph. An otherwise excellent article on the ECAC this week talks about current and former ECAC players in the Olympics but overlooks Ben Scrivens?? How can you justify mentioning Milos Bubela playing for Slovokia but not mention Ben as GK for Team Canada?

As for the first part of the article, which mentions that Dartmouth has beaten the #2 team in the country twice this year (Denver & Clarkson), well let's hope Garp was right.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 03:29PM by Swampy.

Date: January 25, 2018 03:41PM

Swampy
I considered putting this in a new thread for this upcoming weekend until I got to the next-to-last paragraph. An otherwise excellent article on the ECAC this week talks about current and former ECAC players in the Olympics but overlooks Ben Scrivens?? How can you justify mentioning Milos Bubela playing for Slovokia but not mention Ben as GK for Team Canada?

Pretty much par for the course - Nate seems to put together his columns based only on 1) what he already knows or even merely believes, and 2) what's already in front of him.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 06:54PM

... and apparently still hasn’t learned the difference between “freshman” and “freshmen.”

Date: January 26, 2018 07:47AM

Let’s hope the boys bring their A-game tonight.
Then even CHN might run a piece on Cornell!?

rock

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2018 06:27PM

KenP

I'd say Cornell is about as scary as Clarkson '18 and less scary than those other teams. Why? Because Y/Q/U were dominant for longer than half of a season. As others have noted, that shooting percentage number is going to go down for both Clarkson and Cornell, and both teams won't keep winning such a high percentage of the razor-close games they've played. Cornell is also incredibly light on defense: there are six healthy D on the roster right now. Last year's team for the final fourth of the season was playing at a disadvantage every night, suiting up five defensemen. This team is one injury away from having to go through that again. I'd guess that, if college hockey had 1000-game seasons, Cornell would probably be in the 10-15th in the country range. As it stands now, Cornell is in excellent shape to capitalize on having been a strong team with quite a bit of luck in the first 19 games of the season.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2018 06:28PM by BearLover.

Date: January 26, 2018 06:45PM

BearLover
I'd guess that, if college hockey had 1000-game seasons, Cornell would probably be in the 10-15th in the country range.
Yeah, but somebody might break 20 goals again.

Date: January 27, 2018 07:29AM

Date: January 27, 2018 07:37AM

Counterpoint: ambush

Date: January 27, 2018 08:06AM

Trotsky
Counterpoint: ambush

LOL!!

:-D

Date: January 28, 2018 06:40AM

Ok,...we sweep the weekend, lock up the Ivy title, move into first place in the ECAC, and COLGATE gets the lead USCHO article because they beat Harvard!? WTF!!

Let’s all genuflect before the throne of Colton Point? Not.

bang

Date: January 28, 2018 07:57AM

Johnny 5
Ok,...we sweep the weekend, lock up the Ivy title, move into first place in the ECAC, and COLGATE gets the lead USCHO article because they beat Harvard!? WTF!!

bang

Honestly, buddy, you're starting to sound like a whining, entitled brat. You want a feature article on Cornell every freakin' week?! Even the article on Colgate shutting out Harvard talked about Cornell and Galajda. It might be hard to swallow, but very few people care about the Ivy title, and it's not as interesting when we win the fifth game in a row that we're supposed to win.

- Steve Worona

Date: January 28, 2018 08:19AM

Beeeej
Johnny 5

bang

Honestly, buddy, you're starting to sound like a whining, entitled brat. You want a feature article on Cornell every freakin' week?! Even the article on Colgate shutting out Harvard talked about Cornell and Galajda. It might be hard to swallow, but very few people care about the Ivy title, and it's not as interesting when we win the fifth game in a row that we're supposed to win.

Wait! Being a whining, entitled brat...that’s a bad thing?!
And, yes, I’d love several articles about Cornell. At least weekly, if not daily.
Guess I’m an obsessed fan, too? Plus, I remember the Reycroft years.
Lo siento.

whistle

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2018 08:44AM

BMac
... and apparently still hasn’t learned the difference between “freshman” and “freshmen.”
Soon to be replaced by "first-year."
Then there is the retronym "true freshman" to distinguish from "redshirt freshman." "Freshman" and "redshirt freshman" works for me.

William Safire was a charming guy in person and also painfully unhappy with change. He did a column on retronyms ("a new term created from an existing word in order to distinguish it from the meaning that has emerged through progress or technological development (e.g., cloth diaper is a retronym...)." Safire cited "corded drill" but then couldn't help himself and lamented about the need for the term "English-language radio."

Date: January 28, 2018 09:04AM

billhoward
BMac
Then there is the retronym "true freshman" to distinguish from "redshirt freshman." "Freshman" and "redshirt freshman" works for me.

William Safire was a charming guy in person and also painfully unhappy with change. He did a column on retronyms ("a new term created from an existing word in order to distinguish it from the meaning that has emerged through progress or technological development (e.g., cloth diaper is a retronym...)." Safire cited "corded drill" but then couldn't help himself and lamented about the need for the term "English-language radio."

Isn't "first-year" also used to de-gender the noun? (Although first-year seems more naturally used as an adjective.) Would we now have "freshwoman" and "redshirt freshwoman"? Or, perhaps "freshperson" and "redshirt freshperson"?

Also, is it ever the case that a player will actually play their first year in college but then sit out a later year? We already have "medical redshirt" for cases in which a player is unable to play because of injury. But, especially in factory schools, I can imagine, say, the starting and backup quarterbacks going down, so the coach plays a new recruit who otherwise would be redshirting; then the next year, the now-sophomore recruit sits out. Do things like this happen regularly?

Date: January 28, 2018 09:15AM

[www.youtube.com]

and 1.

The rest is silence.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2018 09:43AM

My favorite moment from the Saturday wrap up pieces comes from CHN in consecutive paragraphs:

Harvard is comfortably in fourth place in the ECAC standings, good enough to earn a bye to the league's quarterfinals.

Colgate moves into a fifth-place tie with Dartmouth. The Raiders are just two games back of Harvard with two games in hand.

It’s comfortable, except when it’s not.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (209.36.16.---)
Date: January 28, 2018 10:50AM

Swampy
billhoward
BMac

Isn't "first-year" also used to de-gender the noun? (Although first-year seems more naturally used as an adjective.) Would we now have "freshwoman" and "redshirt freshwoman"? Or, perhaps "freshperson" and "redshirt freshperson"?

Also, is it ever the case that a player will actually play their first year in college but then sit out a later year? We already have "medical redshirt" for cases in which a player is unable to play because of injury. But, especially in factory schools, I can imagine, say, the starting and backup quarterbacks going down, so the coach plays a new recruit who otherwise would be redshirting; then the next year, the now-sophomore recruit sits out. Do things like this happen regularly?

Medical training sort of went through this. Back in the dark ages, when I went through, there were interns and residents. For most fields you did 1 year as intern and then residency, but in some you went straight to residency. Now almost all say R1, R2, etc. So come up with a generic nomenclature and become famous.

Date: January 28, 2018 12:37PM

Hey, look, a feature on CHN.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

- Steve Worona

Date: January 28, 2018 12:55PM

Johnny 5
Beeeej
Johnny 5

bang

Wait! Being a whining, entitled brat...that’s a bad thing?!
And, yes, I’d love several articles about Cornell. At least weekly, if not daily.
Guess I’m an obsessed fan, too? Plus, I remember the Reycroft years.
Lo siento.

whistle

What does that all have to do with the need to "read your own press clippings"?

Being obsessed with your team and it's success is a good thing. But bitching about not enough press coverage is amateur hour.

And as to us deserving coverage or not: ok, we've got #1 in PWR and KRACH and the best win percentage in the country. But look at our SOS- I wouldn't be surprised if this is a factor in people believing we are the real deal at a national level.

Date: January 28, 2018 12:59PM

abmarks
But look at our SOS- I wouldn't be surprised if this is a factor in people believing we are the real deal at a national level.

I'm sure it will, but it's silly because SOS is baked into the ranking.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2018 01:05PM

Trotsky
abmarks
But look at our SOS- I wouldn't be surprised if this is a factor in people believing we are the real deal at a national level.

Eh. It's baked in to the ranking but that's why you need to limit your reliance on the computers. The SOS doesn't adjust for margin of victory as far as I'm aware and for a team with such a great record there are an awful lot of 1 goal wins against teams like Niagara and Princeton.

I am enjoying this run and will enjoy it as far as we go. Cornell is obviously a tournament-quality team - and can beat any team on the right day - but I think the skepticism that Cornell is at top 2 team is entirely fair despite what the computers say.

Date: January 28, 2018 01:12PM

ugarte
Trotsky
abmarks

Eh. It's baked in to the ranking but that's why you need to limit your reliance on the computers. The SOS doesn't adjust for margin of victory as far as I'm aware and for a team with such a great record there are an awful lot of 1 goal wins against teams like Niagara and Princeton.

I am enjoying this run and will enjoy it as far as we go. Cornell is obviously a tournament-quality team - and can beat any team on the right day - but I think the skepticism that Cornell is at top 2 team is entirely fair despite what the computers say.

"Everyone has an algorithm 'till they get punched in the mouth." - ugarte

Date: January 28, 2018 03:00PM

Trotsky
abmarks

If by ranking, you mean PWR or KRACH, then you're certainly correct. I'm talking about straight up opinions, not computer rankings.

I was really getting at possible reason we might not be getting the kind of press Johnny5 would like. If we looked at subjective opinions, and ignored the computer, there are probably a lot of people of the mindset that "Cornell's record is impressive, but they've played a weak-ass schedule."

It'll be interesting to see if the polls on Monday are basically PWR proxies or not. I'd expect that in a straight coaches poll where no one knew the computer numbers, we are lower in that poll than in the PWR or KRACH, due to SOS.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2018 03:25PM

I have seen almost every game this year. I am not convinced we are the best team, but I also dont think we have played poorly in more than 2-3 games and thats not something most of these teams can say.. We might not have the highest high because we dont have the offensive skill, but we also play at a level close to our best in almost every game and often in hockey that is what leads to pretty good records. Some of the so called teams that are better probably have more scoring types, but dont always get the solid D and goal tending.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2018 04:15PM

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2018 05:48PM

ugarte
Trotsky
abmarks

Totally agree, but it sure is more fun bitching about these things, compared to some bitching from recent years.

Date: January 28, 2018 07:20PM

ursusminor

#1 placement notwithstanding, Buccigross is an idiot (and a horrible play-by-play man when he does hockey.)

What blackmail material does he have on management?

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2018 08:49PM

So what is Cornell’s record against Top 5 teams? Top 10? Top 20?

Look at the sample size and performance and you will understand Western Bias.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 11:06AM

The reason you're not "getting the press you'd like" is because CHN - and that other place - have 60 teams to cover, and the season has only been, what, 15 weeks so far?

That said, Cornell is mentioned - most of the time prominently - in every weekend's roundup, which appear on the front page by every Sunday morning.

The other thing is, Cornell doesn't have any individual "stars" really, that would lend itself to the kinds of mid-week profile pieces we often run. My belief is that "everyone has a story" so I'm sure there are plenty of good ones, but some fall on your lap more than others, and others are necessary - like our recent Troy Terry piece, just as one example.

But it's OK - the "no respect" complaining is not unique to Cornell. :)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 11:40AM

adamw
The other thing is, Cornell doesn't have any individual "stars" really, that would lend itself to the kinds of mid-week profile pieces we often run.
Would be difficult to "star" more than the freshman between the pipes: lowest GAA in the division and tied for first in shutouts--playing seven fewer games than the other guy.

Date: January 29, 2018 12:13PM

Al DeFlorio
adamw
The other thing is, Cornell doesn't have any individual "stars" really, that would lend itself to the kinds of mid-week profile pieces we often run.
Would be difficult to "star" more than the freshman between the pipes: lowest GAA in the division and tied for first in shutouts--playing seven fewer games than the other guy.
Angello is on a hell of a run too.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 12:32PM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
adamw
Angello is on a hell of a run too.
Amen to that.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.sub-70-195-129.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2018 02:21PM

adamw
The reason you're not "getting the press you'd like" is because CHN - and that other place - have 60 teams to cover, and the season has only been, what, 15 weeks so far?

That said, Cornell is mentioned - most of the time prominently - in every weekend's roundup, which appear on the front page by every Sunday morning.

The other thing is, Cornell doesn't have any individual "stars" really, that would lend itself to the kinds of mid-week profile pieces we often run. My belief is that "everyone has a story" so I'm sure there are plenty of good ones, but some fall on your lap more than others, and others are necessary - like our recent Troy Terry piece, just as one example.

But it's OK - the "no respect" complaining is not unique to Cornell. :)

But, just as an FYI.
I only started this discussion with tongue firmly implanted in cheek.
Do I like to see Cornell get coverage? Sure. It’s great for recruiting, if nothing else.
Do I expect the press to run something on our team every time one of our players farts?
Not hardly.

I’m an inveterate wise-ass who loves to poke the tiger.
Sometimes the tiger pokes back. Keeps it from getting boring.

Regardless,
“Go Big Red!!”

cheer

Date: January 30, 2018 10:20AM

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2018 10:37AM

Hurry, get Johnny 5 some smelling salts!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2018 12:29PM

Johnny 5
Do I like to see Cornell get coverage? Sure. It’s great for recruiting, if nothing else.
Better for recruiting:

1. Financial aid packages
2. Alums in the N
3. Championships
4. Ahem

Posted by: Johnny 5 (209.68.90.---)
Date: January 30, 2018 01:52PM

OK,....I will now, officially, stop whining. Maybe. Or, not.
Also, sending 6 figure check to the Financial Aid Dept.

Time for another Jamison.

pain

Date: January 30, 2018 04:15PM

The deluge continues...

- Steve Worona

Date: January 30, 2018 04:46PM

Beeeej
The deluge continues...

Nice piece.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2018 04:51PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
The deluge continues...

Nice piece.

Very well done indeed.

Date: January 30, 2018 05:39PM

scoop85
Trotsky
Beeeej
The deluge continues...

Nice piece.

Very well done indeed.

‘Bout effing time!!

whistle

Date: January 30, 2018 07:02PM

Johnny 5
scoop85
Trotsky
Beeeej
The deluge continues...

Nice piece.

Very well done indeed.

‘Bout effing time!!

whistle

Date: January 30, 2018 07:25PM

Trotsky
Johnny 5
scoop85
Trotsky
Beeeej
The deluge continues...

Nice piece.

Very well done indeed.

‘Bout effing time!!

whistle

Am, too!!

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2018 08:50PM

I thought it was pretty clear from the start that Johnny 5's calls for appreciation were tongue-in-cheek, given his post history, his quoting of Rodney Dangerfield, and his silly emoji...

Date: January 30, 2018 09:40PM

BearLover
I thought it was pretty clear from the start that Johnny 5's calls for appreciation were tongue-in-cheek, given his post history, his quoting of Rodney Dangerfield, and his silly emoji...

I'm good with that.

Actually, I think both articles are pretty good. I think I liked the USCHO one a bit more because it intelligently discusses some of things we've been talking about, like the need to be offensively capable no matter how good your defense is.

Date: January 31, 2018 09:44AM

...and on and on and on...

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 10:51AM

Beeeej
...and on and on and on...

From the article:

Green is expected back this weekend.

Very good.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.buffalo.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2018 11:01AM

Cornell swept the season series against the Crimson and Big Green for the first time since 1996-97.

Yeesh. Had it really been that long? Of course, Dartmouth and Harvard had different travel partners at that time because of Vermont's presence in the conference.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2018 11:03AM by Iceberg.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.sub-174-199-30.myvzw.com)
Date: January 31, 2018 12:23PM

The press blackout continue:
[inchwriters.com]

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 01:25PM

INCH is still around?

Date: January 31, 2018 01:29PM

underskill
INCH is still around?
from the url it looks like the expats started a blog

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 31, 2018 02:13PM

Trotsky

From the article:

Cornell has also been without forward Jeff Malott and freshman defenseman Alex Green due to injury. Green is expected back this weekend.

Very good.
the implication about Malott from the longer quote? not as good.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2018 07:13PM

The 6:00 PM news broadcast from Elmira (I believe) had a longish piece on the Cornell hockey team, their having reached the number one spot in the polls, etc. I say longish, as I think it was probably close to a five-minute segment. They had actually sent a reporting crew to Lynah to film a practice and interview Coach Schafer and some of the other players.

Date: January 31, 2018 07:15PM

andyw2100
The 6:00 PM news broadcast from Elmira (I believe) had a longish piece on the Cornell hockey team, their having reached the number one spot in the polls, etc. I say longish, as I think it was probably close to a five-minute segment. They had actually sent a reporting crew to Lynah to film a practice and interview Coach Schafer and some of the other players.

...boom.

[www.weny.com]

- Steve Worona

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2018 07:36PM

Angello’s comment re “sorry professors” made me chuckle.

And to beat Greg to the punch, seeing that reporter made me feel really old

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 08:48PM

scoop85
Angello’s comment re “sorry professors” made me chuckle.

And to beat Greg to the punch, seeing that reporter made me feel really old

Yeah, I can’t think of a market more “entry-level” than the Elmira local news. I grew up in the Southern Tier, and you still see a parade of too-large suits and squeaky-voiced teleprompter readers, especially around the holidays.

Props to Angello for avoiding the cliched sound-bite in a piece that’s magnetized for them.

Date: January 31, 2018 09:39PM

Beeeej
andyw2100

...boom.

[www.weny.com]

Thanks for posting that link, Beeeej!

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 08:07AM

I liked Yates' comment: "We're striving to be #1 at the end of the year."

Date: February 01, 2018 08:52AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I liked Yates' comment: "We're striving to be #1 at the end of the year."

+1

Date: February 02, 2018 11:09PM

The reporter in the WENY piece tweeted a replay of the Fiegl goal:

[twitter.com]

Date: February 03, 2018 09:24AM

Here's another article and video. (Found this one on Facebook.)

[www.wbng.com]

Date: February 05, 2018 11:41AM

We got some additional press coverage today, but not in a good way. I think I'd prefer to be underrated and not covered rather that overrated and covered too much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login