Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Colgate vs. Cornell home-and-home 1/19-20

Posted by Iceberg 
Colgate vs. Cornell home-and-home 1/19-20
Posted by: Iceberg (---.dsl.dynamic.simnet.is)
Date: January 19, 2018 02:00PM

And of course since I'm in Iceland it'll be midnight when the puck drops but that's ok. >_>

Re: Colgate vs. Cornell home-and-home 1/19-20
Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 19, 2018 02:32PM

Iceberg
And of course since I'm in Iceland it'll be midnight when the puck drops but that's ok. >_>
*does not check calendar* at least the sun will be out

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2018 08:42PM

Anybody else who's watching on ILDN experiencing the video 2-3 seconds behind the audio? We know what the play is going to be before we see it, very annoying.

[Edit to add: They corrected the problem about a minute after I posted this.]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 08:46PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2018 09:23PM

Just to add another complaint- bad enough we don't get replays like other ILDN productions, tonight there was no on-screen clock/scoreboard. C'mon, man!

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2018 10:15PM

that was a solid effort, tons of chances. other than 2-3 giveaways colgate had little offense and not sure they ever really came thru center ice with speed. The mistakes on D isnt so bad when playing avg offenses but Harv and CLark will kill us on those plays.

Date: January 20, 2018 10:01AM

tonights game linkcolgate-cornell-sat

Another big effort needed before the showdown at harvard next friday.

Does Angello have some beef with Point? They were staring each other down and wolfing at each other all game long. After the 2nd goal Angello stood at the bench and just stared at him long after the line shift was done before exiting the ice. he played a great game and probably should have had 1 more and several chances for others .

lots of chippy play all night around the goalie. we cut it close every time we went by the net and he stuck his stick or leg out and bumped guys multiple times too..

Hopefully we make a few less bad clearing decisions so we dont give up an easy goal to put us in a hole early and we stay up on them all night.. the cycle last night was dominant, tons of off man rushes and control of play easily 75-80% .

Date: January 20, 2018 10:18AM

upprdeck
tonights game linkcolgate-cornell-sat

That page mislabels it "Women's Hockey," but that's obviously wrong since the Cornell women are at Union at 3pm today.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 20, 2018 10:50AM

I saw that and went back to see what i clicked wrong.. but i figure that much like Cornell, they don't check what the type either.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: January 20, 2018 11:56AM

upprdeck
I saw that and went back to see what i clicked wrong.. but i figure that much like Cornell, they don't check what the(y) type either.

Nor do you?whistle

Date: January 20, 2018 02:50PM

i check, i just cant spell. but i do know the difference between men and women, mostly

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2018 07:11PM

Hi all - FYI there is a ROKU channel called “Stadium” that has a broadcasting deal with the Patriot League and will be showing tonight’s game. Requires signing up for a free 7-day trial.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 20, 2018 07:12PM

I came to post the same thing about he Roku app. I chose “skip” and it still let me in without signing up for anything. We’ll see if I’m able to stream it.

Posted by: Weder (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2018 07:17PM

Stadium is also on Apple TV.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2018 07:32PM

pfibiger
I came to post the same thing about he Roku app. I chose “skip” and it still let me in without signing up for anything. We’ll see if I’m able to stream it.

Thank you. Skip worked for me. I am watching the introductions.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2018 07:33PM

There is currently an adorable child singing the national anthem

Posted by: CU77 (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2018 08:04PM

Streaming over the web for free at

[watchstadium.com]

Edit: just realized this is the same link posted above ...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2018 08:05PM by CU77.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2018 08:07PM

Excellent first period by the Red, albeit scoreless. Class of 1965 Arena looks very good on TV.

Date: January 20, 2018 09:53PM

"Pointless" chant from Cornell fans upon Colgate pulling Point laugh

Date: January 20, 2018 09:54PM

We are currently #2 in PWR.

Posted by: snert1288 (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2018 09:55PM

Matt Galajda with back to back shut outs and a scoreless streak just over 160 minutes (and counting). Very impressive for this freshman against a good Colgate team. The wins are most important but I love the sense of quality goaltending continuing in to our future.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ngn.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: January 20, 2018 10:12PM

snert1288
Matt Galajda with back to back shut outs and a scoreless streak just over 160 minutes (and counting). Very impressive for this freshman against a good Colgate team. The wins are most important but I love the sense of quality goaltending continuing in to our future.

I believe he just tied David McKee's record of six shutouts for a freshman.

Tradition!

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2018 10:17PM

Swampy
snert1288

Tradition!

CHN app says he has four shutouts.

Date: January 20, 2018 10:19PM

JasonN95
Swampy
snert1288

Tradition!

= ]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2018 10:20PM by BearLover.

Date: January 20, 2018 10:22PM

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-70-209-139.myvzw.com)
Date: January 20, 2018 10:40PM

BearLover
JasonN95
Swampy
snert1288

Tradition!

= ]

Dammit! I want my CHN subscription money back. ;-)

Date: January 20, 2018 10:49PM

JasonN95
BearLover
JasonN95
Swampy
snert1288

Tradition!

= ]

I think CHN just takes about an hour to update after the game is over

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.128.104.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 20, 2018 11:24PM

The 1-0 shutout was against Q, not Princeton.

Date: January 21, 2018 12:11AM

Trotsky

Can't find it on TBRW at the moment - is there a chart indicating our PWR position at various points in each season? dss28 has asked me the perfectly reasonable question whether this is the earliest meaningful point in the season (i.e., not just when we're the only remaining undefeated team after five games) at which we've been as high as #2.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2018 12:13AM

You have Galajda's name spelled wrong. Perhaps an indication that Age may want to consider adding it to the spelling guide.

Date: January 21, 2018 12:25AM

andyw2100

You have Galajda's name spelled wrong. Perhaps an indication that Age may want to consider adding it to the spelling guide.
Fixed, thanks.

Date: January 21, 2018 12:25AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

The 1-0 shutout was against Q, not Princeton.
Fixed, thanks.

Date: January 21, 2018 12:26AM

Beeeej
Trotsky

Can't find it on TBRW at the moment - is there a chart indicating our PWR position at various points in each season?
No, I don't have that. This is the closest I have.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 12:26AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 21, 2018 12:36AM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Trotsky

Can't find it on TBRW at the moment - is there a chart indicating our PWR position at various points in each season?
No, I don't have that. This is the closest I have.

Kind of what I thought... anybody know if there IS a PWR equivalent chart somewhere? I know we were at #1 after the ECAC title game win over Harvard, but I don't know where we were prior to that

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 03:43AM

I’m pretty sure Cornell was #1 in PWR at the start of the 2003 NCAA tournament. Not sure if there’s a reliable week by week history anywhere, but you could probably dig up end of season ratings from USCHO or something.

If the links are relatively consistent you might be able to use archive.org to get some of that data.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 06:35AM

Tom Lento
I’m pretty sure Cornell was #1 in PWR at the start of the 2003 NCAA tournament. Not sure if there’s a reliable week by week history anywhere, but you could probably dig up end of season ratings from USCHO or something.

If the links are relatively consistent you might be able to use archive.org to get some of that data.
Yes, #1 seed for NCAAs in 2003.

Posted by: abmarks (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 07:44AM

Tom Lento

If the links are relatively consistent you might be able to use archive.org to get some of ithat data.

You could verify the pwr at ncaa tourney start by any articles discussing tourney selection.

Date: January 21, 2018 08:15AM

Tom Lento
I’m pretty sure Cornell was #1 in PWR at the start of the 2003 NCAA tournament.

Yes, hence why I said I knew we were #1 after the ECAC title game against Harvard, which was the last game we played before the start of the NCAA tournament.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 08:17AM

Interesting to read all of the posts this year about how we need a coaching change because of how much Yale, Q, etc. Have left us behind. :)

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 10:15AM

cth95
Interesting to read all of the posts this year about how we need a coaching change because of how much Yale, Q, etc. Have left us behind. :)

What we needed was a *recruiting* change, and that seems to have happened. We actually outskated Yale this year.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ngn.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 10:51AM

abmarks
cth95

What we needed was a *recruiting* change, and that seems to have happened. We actually outskated Yale this year.

We should give a lot of credit to Schafer. He saw how changes in rules, refereeing, and players were changing the game, and he adjusted his approach. Instead of 6'4" 230 lb bruisers wearing down the other team, he started recruiting more for speed and quickness. He also changed his system. It's taken a while for this new style of recruit to make its way into the system, with this year's junior class probably being the first with this completely new look. (Vanderlan's breakout, setting up Angelo's first goal, on Friday is a good example of our newly found speed at work.) It probably also took time for him to be able to demonstrate to potential recruits, like Donaldson, that they could be central to the new system and the coach knows how to coach such teams.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 11:02AM

I want to see Donaldson's goal and it is infuriating that COlgate doesn't have the video up as far as I can tell.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2018 11:08AM

ugarte
I want to see Donaldson's goal and it is infuriating that COlgate doesn't have the video up as far as I can tell.

The game replay is now up on the Stadium link in a couple of the posts above

Date: January 21, 2018 12:41PM

scoop85
ugarte

The game replay is now up on the Stadium link in a couple of the posts above
thanks - when i clicked last night it basically said that the broadcast was over.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2018 12:58PM

JasonN95
BearLover
JasonN95
Swampy
snert1288

Tradition!

= ]

What is more impressive about the shutout stat is that is that MG has tied the record after only 16 starts. It took McKee 32 games to get his 5 shutouts.
And of course, Stewart also has a shutout in a games that Matt didn't start.

Date: January 21, 2018 01:18PM

add in the fact

AH scored with 4 to go
Quin scored with just over 5 min to go
STL scored with 4 to go
thats a lot of long stretches of pretty good play.

Date: January 21, 2018 01:50PM

Swampy
abmarks
cth95

We should give a lot of credit to Schafer. He saw how changes in rules, refereeing, and players were changing the game, and he adjusted his approach. Instead of 6'4" 230 lb bruisers wearing down the other team, he started recruiting more for speed and quickness. He also changed his system. It's taken a while for this new style of recruit to make its way into the system, with this year's junior class probably being the first with this completely new look. (Vanderlan's breakout, setting up Angelo's first goal, on Friday is a good example of our newly found speed at work.) It probably also took time for him to be able to demonstrate to potential recruits, like Donaldson, that they could be central to the new system and the coach knows how to coach such teams.
As someone who had been one of Schafer's more vocal critics over the past few years, my major issue was that he seemed either unwilling or unable to adapt to the changing game.

He seemed unwilling to adapt because he continued to play a similar system, with similar players, for years while getting repeatedly trounced by Yale and, later, Q and U. Following the most disappointing season, 2014-15, Schafer made comments that did not suggest changes were coming. He said he had tried some new things that season that hadn't worked, so he was going back to what had worked in the past. And at the beginning of 2015-16, when things looked like they were starting to turn around, Schafer essentially threw the '15 senior class under the bus for the disappointment the prior year. Those are comments that should never be made publicly about any student athlete, especially ones who had devoted four years of hard work to the program. It sounded like someone trying to absolve himself of all responsibility.

He seemed unable to adapt because why would a small, fast, skilled player want to come to Ithaca to play for a program known for a lumbering defensive style? Or why would any top-tier talent want to play for Cornell when peer schools had seen more success over several years? The appeal of Cornell Hockey was that you can compete for a national championship while getting a world-class education in a program steeped in tradition with the best fans in college hockey. And Cornell was in a class by itself in that respect, as it had made the NCAAs every-other year while getting farther than anyone in its league, going all the way to the Frozen Four. But then Yale made the NCAAs 6/8 years and won the NCAA title. Union won three straight ECAC championships and won the national title. Quinnipiac made the NCAAs four years in a row and lost in the national title game twice. And the fan support waned. Why would a speedy forward want to play for Cornell? Was there any available evidence then that Schafer could actually coach these guys?

I'm happy I was wrong. As best I can tell from how the last couple of years have played out, Schafer is just a really good coach and a strong recruiter, and has been able to attract skilled guys and incorporate them into the system, which still emphasizes disciplined defense and wearing the other team down in the offensive zone. Despite all my gripes, I never actually advocated for immediately firing Schafer because there was nothing to suggest the alternative would be any better. Hopefully the good times continue and the team can use this success to attract top talent for the years to come.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 01:52PM by BearLover.

Date: January 21, 2018 02:15PM

BearLover
Swampy
abmarks
cth95

As someone who had been one of Schafer's more vocal critics over the past few years, my major issue was that he seemed either unwilling or unable to adapt to the changing game.

He seemed unwilling to adapt because he continued to play a similar system, with similar players, for years while getting repeatedly trounced by Yale and, later, Q and U. Following the most disappointing season, 2014-15, Schafer made comments that did not suggest changes were coming. He said he had tried some new things that season that hadn't worked, so he was going back to what had worked in the past. And at the beginning of 2015-16, when things looked like they were starting to turn around, Schafer essentially threw the '15 senior class under the bus for the disappointment the prior year. Those are comments that should never be made publicly about any student athlete, especially ones who had devoted four years of hard work to the program. It sounded like someone trying to absolve himself of all responsibility.

He seemed unable to adapt because why would a small, fast, skilled player want to come to Ithaca to play for a program known for a lumbering defensive style? Or why would any top-tier talent want to play for Cornell when peer schools had seen more success over several years? The appeal of Cornell Hockey was that you can compete for a national championship while getting a world-class education in a program steeped in tradition with the best fans in college hockey. And Cornell was in a class by itself in that respect, as it had made the NCAAs every-other year while getting farther than anyone in its league, going all the way to the Frozen Four. But then Yale made the NCAAs 6/8 years and won the NCAA title. Union won three straight ECAC championships and won the national title. Quinnipiac made the NCAAs four years in a row and lost in the national title game twice. And the fan support waned. Why would a speedy forward want to play for Cornell? Was there any available evidence then that Schafer could actually coach these guys?

I'm happy I was wrong. As best I can tell from how the last couple of years have played out, Schafer is just a really good coach and a strong recruiter, and has been able to attract skilled guys and incorporate them into the system, which still emphasizes disciplined defense and wearing the other team down in the offensive zone. Despite all my gripes, I never actually advocated for immediately firing Schafer because there was nothing to suggest the alternative would be any better. Hopefully the good times continue and the team can use this success to attract top talent for the years to come.

Well said.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 03:50PM

BearLover
Swampy
abmarks
cth95

I think the notion of offensive vs defensive systems is a little overemphasized, at least by us. You're still looking to spend more time in your opponent's zone and succeed on both ends of the puck, no matter what you're doing. I wonder if Schafer's referencing of changes and changing back was less of an offense/defense balance and more about specific strategic elements. I don't really know what sort of strategies I'm talking about, since my hockey knowledge isn't that great.

All in all, I think we're playing more offensive hockey because we have the players to do so. You're right that Schafer's demonstrated an ability to recruit these guys and build a system around them.

And since I've certainly argued with you here enough, I'll say this. I don't know if it's correlation or causation, but you've insisted a bad ECAC would be good for us. We're looking very good, and the ECAC looks pretty terrible.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 04:49PM

I clearly missed that part of your post. I blame Twitter for my inability to pay attention to more than one sentence. I don’t use Twitter, but I’m going to blame it anyway.

Date: January 21, 2018 04:58PM

Dafatone
BearLover
Swampy
abmarks
cth95

I think the notion of offensive vs defensive systems is a little overemphasized, at least by us. You're still looking to spend more time in your opponent's zone and succeed on both ends of the puck, no matter what you're doing. I wonder if Schafer's referencing of changes and changing back was less of an offense/defense balance and more about specific strategic elements. I don't really know what sort of strategies I'm talking about, since my hockey knowledge isn't that great.

All in all, I think we're playing more offensive hockey because we have the players to do so. You're right that Schafer's demonstrated an ability to recruit these guys and build a system around them.

And since I've certainly argued with you here enough, I'll say this. I don't know if it's correlation or causation, but you've insisted a bad ECAC would be good for us. We're looking very good, and the ECAC looks pretty terrible.
I think both offense and defense are now more about team speed than they were a decade ago, when physicality was the name of the game. I would imagine the same skills go into forechecking as do beating a forecheck, and you need the same attributes to score in transition as you need to defend in transition. Still, Cornell is tied for the seconc-tallest team in the nation and most of its offense has come from traditional "power forwards" (Yates, Angello, Mallott, Barron, etc.). Even Vanderlaan, at 5'7, plays a very physical style, and he may be harder to push off the puck than anyone. So to my (untrained) hockey eye it's hard to know what precisely the difference is other than that for whatever reason, the passes have been crisper and the skating has been faster and Cornell just has more guys who can score than they did a few years ago.

Date: January 21, 2018 05:36PM

Biggest improvement I see is the passing. A lot more tape-to-tape, especially from our end into the neutral zone.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 06:43PM by scoop85.

Date: January 21, 2018 06:08PM

the creativity of the passing has been much improved this year. since the team is young that points at better recruiting.

Date: January 21, 2018 07:02PM

We're more fun and we're winning.

Date: January 21, 2018 08:51PM

upprdeck
the creativity of the passing has been much improved this year. since the team is young that points at better recruiting.
our big guys can carry the puck. like, really carry the puck. it's been nice to have a team that can beat a forecheck. we used to get spooked by even halfhearted efforts from mediocre teams. now we bring the puck out.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2018 09:40PM

I believe a lot of the credit goes to Ben Syer. It's since his arrival that the recruiting has changed. Hopefully he sticks around awhile, but my gut says there is a head coaching opportunity coming his way in the near future.

Date: January 21, 2018 10:48PM

Cop at Lynah
I believe a lot of the credit goes to Ben Syer. It's since his arrival that the recruiting has changed. Hopefully he sticks around awhile, but my gut says there is a head coaching opportunity coming his way in the near future.
That's an interesting angle. A way to at least mitigate the risk would be to make him the heir apparent (associate vs assistant coach) and for Mike to give him an indication of how much longer he intends to coach.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 10:49PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2018 11:29PM

Trotsky
A way to at least mitigate the risk would be to make him the heir apparent (associate vs assistant coach) and for Mike to give him an indication of how much longer he intends to coach.
The first part is done. Syer’s title is Associate Head Coach.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 11:35PM

Trotsky
Cop at Lynah
That's an interesting angle. A way to at least mitigate the risk would be to make him the heir apparent (associate vs assistant coach) and for Mike to give him an indication of how much longer he intends to coach.

He's only 55, turning 56 in October. If a NC is his white whale, he might stay around until he wins one. Hopefully, not too long now.

Also, and not completely unrelated to the previous thought, although this year's freshmen had potential, Mike was very circumspect about such a young team's chances. But thanks in no small part to the large freshman class, the team has thus far exceeded everyone's expectations. Even if we were to win a NC as early as this year idea, he might want to hang around to see what he and this group can achieve by the time they graduate.

Date: January 22, 2018 01:06AM

It's hard to measure recruiting but if you go by draft picks this year's team is not markedly different from past years'. [tbrw link that I still don't know how to post]

Of course, you can end up with a ton of Vanderlaans and Donaldsons on your team, players who weren't drafted mostly because of size but who can still excel in college, and maybe Cornell is getting more of those these days.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2018 01:11AM by BearLover.

Posted by: toddlose (---.sub-174-237-135.myvzw.com)
Date: January 22, 2018 01:17AM

Cop at Lynah
I believe a lot of the credit goes to Ben Syer. It's since his arrival that the recruiting has changed. Hopefully he sticks around awhile, but my gut says there is a head coaching opportunity coming his way in the near future.[/quote
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2018 08:05AM by toddlose.

Date: January 22, 2018 08:03AM

ugarte
upprdeck
our big guys can carry the puck. like, really carry the puck. it's been nice to have a team that can beat a forecheck. we used to get spooked by even halfhearted efforts from mediocre teams. now we bring the puck out.

Agree with all of this. In past years we've seemed tentative and now we seem to skate it out with authority. As the year has progressed I've also noticed that, when they can't skate the puck into the offensive zone, instead of always dumping the puck in, sometimes they skate back to regroup and try again. I can't say I remember them doing that, with some consistency, in forever. It speaks to having confidence in your puck control and passing,

But I'm still hesitant to think this years team is going to end the year near the current position. We and Clarkson are #2 & 1 in national shooting percentage. While some of that may be because of the rest of the league being relatively softer than in past years, I just don't know that we can keep it up, especially in post-season play.

But this year is sure a lot of fun.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2018 08:25AM

Note that two of our [uninjured] draft picks - Tshantz and Cairns - are not regular players in the lineup. So we aren't even consistently playing with all our NHL draft picks.

Similarly, look at all the blue chip 1st and 2nd round draft picks on the [unranked!] BU team. On paper, BU should be a top 4 team.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 22, 2018 08:32AM

Jim Hyla
But this year is sure a lot of fun.
It is and we should savor it because whatever the x factor is that this team may have it is fleeting.

This is a very good team playing very well. We all know that doesn't happen very often.

Make it count.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2018 01:15PM

Tom Lento

We have most of this historical stuff on CHN. Follow the variety of links from the Pairwise page.

Date: January 22, 2018 01:18PM

Cop at Lynah

Syer is a good coach, but to whatever extent recruiting has changed - if it has - doesn't really have to do with Syer. Ivy League rules changed in recent years, where Cornell/Brown/Dartmouth are now able to keep up with the recruiting of Harvard/Yale/Princeton, which itself had changed a couple years before that.

Date: January 22, 2018 01:33PM

adamw
Ivy League rules changed in recent years, where Cornell/Brown/Dartmouth are now able to keep up with the recruiting of Harvard/Yale/Princeton, which itself had changed a couple years before that.
Are you talking about financial aid?

Date: January 22, 2018 01:37PM

adamw
Tom Lento

We have most of this historical stuff on CHN. Follow the variety of links from the Pairwise page.

...except you don't really have historical charts - you have the ability to generate them. In order to get each week's PWR, you have to enter the date manually in the "Customize" tab. Essentially, to get the answer to the question we're looking for, we'd have to enter a few hundred different dates and compare manually. That's correct, isn't it?

(EDIT to add) And you also only go back to 2005-06, which is not helpful in terms of finding out how high we got in the PWR late in, say, the 2002 season or where we were the week before we hit #1 in 2003.

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2018 01:38PM by Beeeej.

Date: January 22, 2018 01:39PM

All I want from life is a csv file of every D-1* (and before the era, every NC$$, and before that era, define it how you will) game that has ever been played since 1895, so we can generate PWR for any interval by any set of PWR rules.

Why is that so hard? I mean, I did the one for Cornell. Only about 100 schools (counting defuncts) to go.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2018 01:40PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 22, 2018 01:44PM

Trotsky
All I want from life is a csv file of every D-1* (and before the era, every NC$$, and before that era, define it how you will) game that has ever been played since 1895, so we can generate PWR for any interval by any set of PWR rules.

Why is that so hard? I mean, I did the one for Cornell. Only about 100 schools (counting defuncts) to go.

:-) I'm not saying that what I want isn't at least a little complicated, I'm just saying that the suggestion CHN already has what I want is a little bit facile. I'm actually wondering, and I'm asking because I genuinely don't know - how difficult would it be to add code to any given historical PWR page on CHN so that there's a left arrow pointing to a page that generates the previous week's PWR from the same customization code, and similarly a right arrow pointing to the subsequent week? Obviously even parsing it by week is a little imperfect, but it's a start.

- Steve Worona

Date: January 22, 2018 02:00PM

Beeeej
Trotsky

:-) I'm not saying that what I want isn't at least a little complicated, I'm just saying that the suggestion CHN already has what I want is a little bit facile. I'm actually wondering, and I'm asking because I genuinely don't know - how difficult would it be to add code to any given historical PWR page on CHN so that there's a left arrow pointing to a page that generates the previous week's PWR from the same customization code, and similarly a right arrow pointing to the subsequent week? Obviously even parsing it by week is a little imperfect, but it's a start.
No, I'm not being sarcastic. I honestly think that if the SIDs at each of the 60 schools put an unpaid intern on it at .1 FTE we'd have a 99.9% correct dataset of every D-1-"qualifying" game in history by this time next year.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2018 02:01PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 22, 2018 02:07PM

Trotsky

That is all I want from life as well ... since I spent last summer doing this for about 10 schools, including Cornell. Those datasets are already included on CHN, and searchable as well, using various criteria, from our schedule page. (See the dropdown menus folks)

Along the way, I discovered numerous errors and omissions in media guides, where I filled in the blanks. So I'm not even sure I'd trust just some intern at each SID office to turn their media guide stuff into CSV, but it couldn't hurt I guess.

The goal is to do this for every "D-I" game for all-time - but that might be a lifelong project. Feel free to volunteer to help out.

I'm not being a wise-ass --- or facile (great word) --- but there's a treasure trove of data on CHN right now that is there. I know it's not always the easiest to find - but I do my best to make it as easy as possible. It's a challenge coming up with the best ways to make it obvious it's there, while not intruding on the basic function of what the site is (current news/data/etc...)

Date: January 22, 2018 02:15PM

Beeeej
adamw
Tom Lento

...except you don't really have historical charts - you have the ability to generate them. In order to get each week's PWR, you have to enter the date manually in the "Customize" tab. Essentially, to get the answer to the question we're looking for, we'd have to enter a few hundred different dates and compare manually. That's correct, isn't it?

(EDIT to add) And you also only go back to 2005-06, which is not helpful in terms of finding out how high we got in the PWR late in, say, the 2002 season or where we were the week before we hit #1 in 2003.

We have back to 2003-04

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Where are you seeing only back to 2005-06? Is there a page somewhere which only links to that? If so, let me know, so I can fix it. If you go to the main Pairwise page and hover over the "Pairwise Historical" tab, you'll see a link there that takes you back to 2003-04.

2002-03, Cornell was most definitely No. 1 overall in Pairwise prior to the tournament. There is a complication with generating 2002-03 Pairwise - which I can't remember at the moment - but I have to go back and remember the reason why. I know I've come across this issue a bunch of times in trying to do so. And I've tried exactly for this reason - to show Cornell No. 1 :) - which I know they were. You could find my Pairwise Analysis article from that time and verify that.

Prior to 2002-03, things get tricky because of the numerous changes in the Pairwise criteria. It could be generated based on current criteria, but that wouldn't give you an accurate assessment of what was what. Also, prior to a fuzzy/hazy time before 2002-03, the Committee didn't use the Pairwise like it does now - so it's almost irrelevant, actually. Again, you could see it for academic purposes, but it wouldn't give you a true snapshot of time.

By the way, these pages - one for each season - have a summation of all of this kind of stuff. For example, 2003 here:

And it has the left/right arrow paradigm that you refer to. I haven't done that kind of thing for a week-by-week of the Pairwise - yet - not sure how used that would ever be. Or even if a week-by-week concept even makes sense in the context of the Pairwise, since it literally can change at any time. I get that "one week" is a good time frame in college hockey terms, but it's also kinda arbitrary when it comes to the Pairwise.

Date: January 22, 2018 02:22PM

adamw
We have back to 2003-04

Where are you seeing only back to 2005-06?

On this very page to which you are directing me. When I click on the drop-down menu for Modify Date Parameters, the earliest season it gives me is 2005-06. So even if what you've directed me to is a page that, when I click on the "Main chart tab" gives me the end of the 2003-04 season, it doesn't give me access to any other part of the 2003-04 season or any other PWR snapshot prior to 2005-06.

- Steve Worona

2003 PWR -Week Before ECAC Semis and Final
Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: January 22, 2018 02:27PM

Here's the Pairwise the week before we hit #1 in 2003.
I had cut and pasted it on to a spreadsheet.

Rk Team GP W- L- T Win% Rk RPI Rk PWR
1 Colorado College 38 28- 5- 5 0.8026 2 | 0.5931 1 | 29
2 Cornell 31 26- 4- 1 0.8548 1 | 0.5899 2 | 28
3 New Hampshire 38 25- 7- 6 0.7368 4 | 0.5894 3 | 27
4 Boston University 40 24-13- 3 0.6375 13 | 0.5854 4 | 26
5 Maine 38 24- 9- 5 0.6974 7 | 0.5806 6 | 24
Ferris State 38 29- 8- 1 0.7763 3 | 0.5664 8 | 24
7 Minnesota 39 22- 8- 9 0.6795 9 | 0.5840 5 | 23
8 Boston College 37 23-10- 4 0.6757 11 | 0.5795 7 | 22
9 North Dakota 41 26-10- 5 0.6951 8 | 0.5637 9 | 20
Michigan 38 26- 9- 3 0.7237 5 | 0.5606 10 | 20
11 MSU-Mankato 38 20- 8-10 0.6579 12 | 0.5596 11 | 19
12 Ohio State 39 24-10- 5 0.6795 9 | 0.5528 13 | 18
13 Harvard 31 21- 8- 2 0.7097 6 | 0.5543 12 | 16
14 Michigan State 38 23-13- 2 0.6316 15 | 0.5462 16 | 15
15 St. Cloud State 37 17-15- 5 0.5270 27 | 0.5524 14 | 14
Providence 36 19-14- 3 0.5694 20 | 0.5461 17 | 14
17 Dartmouth 32 19-12- 1 0.6094 17 | 0.5248 19 | 13
Northern Michigan 38 20-16- 2 0.5526 25 | 0.5244 20 | 13
19 Denver 41 21-14- 6 0.5854 18 | 0.5508 15 | 12
20 Massachusetts 37 19-17- 1 0.5270 27 | 0.5313 18 | 11
21 Notre Dame 39 17-16- 6 0.5128 30 | 0.5216 21 | 10
22 Minnesota-Duluth 39 20-14- 5 0.5769 19 | 0.5194 22 | 9
23 Yale 32 18-14- 0 0.5625 22 | 0.5145 24 | 6
24 Merrimack 36 12-18- 6 0.4167 40 | 0.5154 23 | 5
Miami 41 21-17- 3 0.5488 26 | 0.5083 26 | 5
26 Western Michigan 38 15-21- 2 0.4211 39 | 0.5118 25 | 4
27 Mass.-Lowell 36 11-20- 5 0.3750 45 | 0.5057 27 | 3
Alaska-Fairbanks 36 15-14- 7 0.5139 29 | 0.5011 28 | 3
29 Brown 33 16-12- 5 0.5606 23 | 0.5010 29 | 2
30 Wayne State 39 21-16- 2 0.5641 21 | 0.4798 38 | 0

Date: January 22, 2018 02:31PM

Beeeej
adamw
We have back to 2003-04

Where are you seeing only back to 2005-06?

On this very page to which you are directing me. When I click on the drop-down menu for Modify Date Parameters, the earliest season it gives me is 2005-06. So even if what you've directed me to is a page that, when I click on the "Main chart tab" gives me the end of the 2003-04 season, it doesn't give me access to any other part of the 2003-04 season or any other PWR snapshot prior to 2005-06.

It was available under the "Pairwise Historical" tab ... but I've now also fixed the dropdown to allow back to 2003-04 ... You could also replace the URL, although again, it won't work prior to that season.

Date: January 22, 2018 02:54PM

adamw
stuff

That is awesome. My portion of the lifelong project has been lifelong -- to record every box score of every Cornell game. I'm at about 85% now. I don't do penalties and that gives Arthur the sad, but it's good enough for me.

All I need is where to find the instructions to bypass CHN's interface and just download the raw data of game results. All I need is the game_ID table mapping a key to each team and then game_ID-indexed table fields [date], [home_ID], [vis_ID], [home_G], [vis_G]. Basically, that's it: about 20 keystrokes per record for, oh let's say 100,000 games (a hundred teams averaging 10 "home" games a year over a hundred years) -- so maybe 2 million keystrokes.

If you've got that, hey, share it! I send a fresh copy of my full Access database to the Cornell AD every year (where no doubt he or she completely ignores it).

Date: January 22, 2018 03:05PM

Trotsky
adamw
stuff

That is awesome. My portion of the lifelong project has been lifelong -- to record every box score of every Cornell game. I'm at about 85% now. I don't do penalties and that gives Arthur the sad, but it's good enough for me.

All I need is where to find the instructions to bypass CHN's interface and just download the raw data of game results. All I need is the game_ID table mapping a key to each team and then game_ID-indexed table fields [date], [home_ID], [vis_ID], [home_G], [vis_G]. Basically, that's it: about 20 keystrokes per record for, oh let's say 100,000 games (a hundred teams averaging 10 "home" games a year over a hundred years) -- so maybe 2 million keystrokes.

If you've got that, hey, share it! I send a fresh copy of my full Access database to the Cornell AD every year (where no doubt he or she completely ignores it).

Probably don't ignore it. AD & staff just get a good laugh: "Oh look. Another database from that fool alum who can't get a life." dribble

Date: January 22, 2018 03:10PM

Trotsky
adamw
stuff

Well, I only have about 10 teams, actually maybe more like 6 or 7 - and I am sharing it - on CHN :) .... If I get them all, maybe then I'd put it out there in CSV form for every team. It's excruciating work. If you're really enterprising you can grab it ... But really, where else can you search for all-time college hockey results going back to 1896? And easily. By the way, it's 100% complete going back to 1986-87. All NCAA tournament, conference tournament, Beanpot and GLI results are in there all-time as well. Then Cornell, Yale, Harvard, BU, BC, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, North Dakota - maybe not the last few - I did a significant amount on them, can't remember if I did it all.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 22, 2018 03:36PM

from other schools i have had discussions with there is mostly very little interest in any kind of database information.. some do it, most dont. even a school like cornell all they would have to do is open up the paper backups and someone would create it, probably for free. get a database class project to provide the output..

Date: January 22, 2018 06:49PM

Swampy
Probably don't ignore it. AD & staff just get a good laugh: "Oh look. Another database from that fool alum who can't get a life." dribble

I'm not the one stuck in Ithaca. whistle ;-)

Date: January 22, 2018 07:13PM

adamw
By the way, these pages - one for each season - have a summation of all of this kind of stuff. For example, 2003 here:

And it has the left/right arrow paradigm that you refer to. I haven't done that kind of thing for a week-by-week of the Pairwise - yet - not sure how used that would ever be. Or even if a week-by-week concept even makes sense in the context of the Pairwise, since it literally can change at any time. I get that "one week" is a good time frame in college hockey terms, but it's also kinda arbitrary when it comes to the Pairwise.

Adam, as I scanned thru the years, I noticed that when you started the Frozen Four bracket format, sometimes the Regional Semi winners get listed as winning the wrong regional semi game.

For example, look at 2016. BC beats Harvard, but is listed in the PU-UMD game. Maybe there's a reason that I don't understand, but it always seems to occur on the right side of the bracket page.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2018 07:37PM

responses to bits and pieces in this thread:

-Who's to assume that a NC is enough for Mike? Some of the most successful coaches have gone well into their seventies- just look at Jerry York or Jack Parker. If he just loves coaching maybe a NC would let him staff longer, since the pressure might be off.

-On the skating vs. size thing. It's not just that we have more speed now. Schaefer has talked about wanting his D-men to get up into the play no with their speed when the chance is there. This is a completely new directive - so he's not just faster, but is also deploying that speed differently than he might have in the past.

-With this 10-player frosh group that is absolutely outperforming, we ought to be looking two or three years into the future and wondering just how good the team will be then; especially if Mike is strategic with incoming recruits and fills the right needs.

Date: January 22, 2018 08:24PM

When I saw all the posts today for a moment I thought we had another visit from Sir Spamalot dribble

Date: January 22, 2018 11:18PM

abmarks
responses to bits and pieces in this thread:

-Who's to assume that a NC is enough for Mike? Some of the most successful coaches have gone well into their seventies- just look at Jerry York or Jack Parker. If he just loves coaching maybe a NC would let him staff longer, since the pressure might be off.

-On the skating vs. size thing. It's not just that we have more speed now. Schaefer has talked about wanting his D-men to get up into the play no with their speed when the chance is there. This is a completely new directive - so he's not just faster, but is also deploying that speed differently than he might have in the past.

-With this 10-player frosh group that is absolutely outperforming, we ought to be looking two or three years into the future and wondering just how good the team will be then; especially if Mike is strategic with incoming recruits and fills the right needs.

+1

Date: January 22, 2018 11:52PM

Jim Hyla
Adam, as I scanned thru the years, I noticed that when you started the Frozen Four bracket format, sometimes the Regional Semi winners get listed as winning the wrong regional semi game.

For example, look at 2016. BC beats Harvard, but is listed in the PU-UMD game. Maybe there's a reason that I don't understand, but it always seems to occur on the right side of the bracket page.

Thanks Jim - I'll take a look.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login