Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

USCHO new website

Posted by upprdeck 
USCHO new website
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2017 10:05AM

I guess going uglier is the way to go in web site design these days.

they created guessing game on who the last team in every league standings is..

Re: USCHO new website
Date: December 30, 2017 10:10AM

flip side.. do we have some new bot code? i tried creating a message and it was rejected for being a bot message. Do we know the rules on this new feature?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2017 10:29AM

upprdeck
flip side.. do we have some new bot code? i tried creating a message and it was rejected for being a bot message. Do we know the rules on this new feature?

Sort of same. I tried telling them that the game today was @ 4, but it was rejected.

upprdeck

Agree and the format seems to make it harder for me to navigate around.

Posted by: Swampy (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 30, 2017 11:55AM

Dysfunction is more accurate than ugly, especially with regard to the scoreboard.

When you first select scores you see a screen with today's date, but the scores are all from earlier games: yesterday and before. Then switch to week-by-week schedule, and you do see scores for recent games associated with the appropriate dates. But the viewing area is too narrow for the underlying tables. So you have to scroll left and right to see all the columns. My MacBook Air screen has all this wasted white space to the left & right, but the data appear as if I'm looking through an arrow slot in some medieval castle.

As bad or worse, each league-specific table is independent of the others; so, for example, if you want to see all the games being televised today, you have to scroll each league table individually! Then if you switch to composite view, whatever that means, the latest stories initially overwrite the data table, making a confused jumble. After a while or after viewing something else and returning, I'm not sure which, the screen is legible, but we're back to the too-narrow viewport on the table. Once viewing the scoreboard, the only available views seem to be composite & week-by-week; the only way to see the original view, whatever it's called, is to choose "Scores" from the main menu.

And then I wanted to view a game summary of the Princeton-SCSU game. Scrolling to the right reveals the Game Summary column, but instead of using both teams as the stub so you can keep track of what game you looking for, the site only uses the visiting team's name. This might do when you're playing the #1 team, but what if you just want to look up your alma mater's recap for its home game last night and are really not sure who the opponent was?

What initially appears to be an improvement turns out to be a farce. There are game summaries for virtually every game. But it turns out most of them are little more than the boxscore translated into prose. The old Recaps at least gave more in-depth coverage, albeit typically from one team's standpoint.

Then, in what seemed to be another improvement, I noticed a sidebar with a link under "Latest Stories" for Canisius at Cornell. Thinking there would be a game preview, I clicked the link. The result was a completely unformatted screen, seems to be a site map.

Who does this sort of thing?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2017 12:11PM by Swampy.

Date: December 30, 2017 12:09PM

everyone seems to be going to more maintainable less usable formats in web design. We are being told to code in pages for easier use for those with disabilities now.. I get that there is a need for that, but you also need to know your user base. if you create functional designs to handle some of those issues it makes the page not work for the 99.9% who will use it. its a give and take I guess.

its makes you long for the good old days of newspapers. you knew which section to look for things.., web pages are coded all over, if you dont look on a certain day you never find the story you might have read.

Date: December 30, 2017 12:45PM

uscho responded that its now a responsive site because 70% of users uses tablets and phones on weekends. they say all issues are from using old browsers.

Date: December 30, 2017 12:51PM

did the forums go away on that site too?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2017 03:31PM

upprdeck

they created guessing game on who the last team in every league standings is..
Everything is optimized for the pacifiers, ahem, smart phones. As designs go this one is pretty benign.

Date: December 30, 2017 07:05PM

but they have an APP that is nothing like the web site anyway.

Posted by: GBR1234 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2018 12:07PM

What a mess.
Nothing links to where it should.
The "Rankings" dropdown to "Pairwise" once selected links to a news article from 2013.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2018 12:29PM

upprdeck
did the forums go away on that site too?
They're still there...on the top bar (which is above the other top bar)

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2018 07:00PM

GBR1234
What a mess.
The "Rankings" dropdown to "Pairwise" once selected links to a news article from 2013.

I submitted a support ticket, and they just responded saying the site had been having major problems earlier but should be fine now.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2018 07:05PM

Beeeej
GBR1234
What a mess.

I submitted a support ticket, and they just responded saying the site had been having major problems earlier but should be fine now.
Links seem to work now.

Date: January 12, 2018 05:50PM

so they say the old forums exist.. but i cant find a real link anyplace.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-132.myvzw.com)
Date: January 12, 2018 06:51PM

Here?

Date: January 12, 2018 09:35PM

upprdeck
so they say the old forums exist.. but i cant find a real link anyplace.

Read what I said above

Date: January 12, 2018 10:19PM

now i see it, and i looked for several days. buried in a blur of information.

Date: January 13, 2018 01:47AM

upprdeck
now i see it, and i looked for several days. buried in a blur of information.
took me a while toodoh

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2018 01:24PM

Use CHN - thanks :)

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 22, 2018 03:30PM

shows how little i knew.. i use the CHN mobile sometimes for scores, but lately it never loads when i am at the games. never knew there was a website

Date: January 22, 2018 03:43PM

upprdeck
shows how little i knew.. i use the CHN mobile sometimes for scores, but lately it never loads when i am at the games. never knew there was a website

shoot me now

Date: January 22, 2018 05:29PM

I admit I'm not that worldly.. Perhaps if the app loaded it might have dawned on to look for a web version. USCHO says the vast majority of their site traffic is only viewed on mobile, is CHN the same?

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2018 06:16PM

upprdeck
I admit I'm not that worldly.. Perhaps if the app loaded it might have dawned on to look for a web version. USCHO says the vast majority of their site traffic is only viewed on mobile, is CHN the same?

Viewed in mobile doesn't mean App only. Pretty sure they meant on a phone using the browser.

Date: January 22, 2018 06:30PM

upprdeck

Yeah, as someone else said - there's a difference between "mobile web browser" and standalone "app"

So I'm not sure what specifically you're referring to that isn't loading. Far as I know, everything is working - web, apps, etc... If you can give me more details, I can try to help.

Date: January 22, 2018 06:48PM

we have unable to get anything to load correctly when using a phone for the last few weeks when at a game and trying to view scores. when scores do come up they are so out of sync i dont know what to do with them. i was watching cornell 2 weeks ago and paused the game and pulled up my phone to check other scores and it said Cornell was losing 3-1 in the 2nd. strange since they didnt give up 3 goals until almost end of the game.

last week the clarkson/harvard score change multiple times to different teams leading .. the RIT game was 8-7 at one pt and it finished 5-4.

Date: January 22, 2018 06:53PM

upprdeck
we have unable to get anything to load correctly when using a phone for the last few weeks when at a game and trying to view scores. when scores do come up they are so out of sync i dont know what to do with them. i was watching cornell 2 weeks ago and paused the game and pulled up my phone to check other scores and it said Cornell was losing 3-1 in the 2nd. strange since they didnt give up 3 goals until almost end of the game.

last week the clarkson/harvard score change multiple times to different teams leading .. the RIT game was 8-7 at one pt and it finished 5-4.

The details I need are - what phone are you using - are you using the app or the mobile browser (web site) - etc.... Because I haven't seen any of those things you're reporting, and haven't seen any other complaints along those lines.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2018 07:13PM

adamw
upprdeck

The details I need are - what phone are you using - are you using the app or the mobile browser (web site) - etc.... Because I haven't seen any of those things you're reporting, and haven't seen any other complaints along those lines.

This Saturday I was loading the app from home on WiFi. The @ Yale and @ Brown games had a horrible (like 2 period) lag. So I was watching the third period of these games on ILDN on a PC - to check the scores - while the CHN app was showing 1st period info.

@ Clarkson and @ St. Lawrence were contemporaneous.

Some of this was occurring on Friday too, but I can't give you specifics as to which game(s). It wasn't until Saturday that my head scratching became serious. Why two games that night? How can this be caused by almost identical late reporting at two different rinks?

Samsung S8 phone running 7.0 and Nexus 7 (2013) tablet with Android 6.0.1 were both lagging and both running the 3.21 app.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: January 22, 2018 07:21PM

adamw
upprdeck

I also saw these problems, especially annoying on the Clarkson/Harvard game. I'd get a score, then the next time I looked it jumped back to the first period, when it had been second or third period before. This happened multiple times.

Also had the same problem as Marty with the Yale/Brown lag.

Using the App on iPhone X current iOS.

Date: January 22, 2018 10:43PM

samsung s7 using the APP.

I was not only seeing the wrong scores but when you went into the game box scores there were detailed scores and it wasnt just duplicated scores, there were different people scoring.. I have found the jumping back and forth of times in the games to be just a usual thing. often you get one score at the game level and a different score at the detail level and then going back up a 3rd different score.. often you can go in like 8-9pm and all the scores are gone but if you drill down into a game you do get a score.

Date: January 22, 2018 11:55PM

Thanks. On the weekends, I am usually monitoring the web site's live scoreboard, not the apps. So I didn't see any of it there. I do look at the apps too, from time to time, and never noticed that - so I don't know if it was just a thing this weekend. Actually, I was monitoring the Android app while I was at MSG on Saturday, and didn't notice it either. So I'm honestly not sure what's up. The web site and the apps -- and any other site, for that matter -- are all using the same data source. But all have different programmers.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: January 23, 2018 08:09AM

USCHO recognizes CU in TMQ.

And my view is that Donato should win the Hobey (and go pro after the season:-D )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login