Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Opponents News 2: Hockey's the Reason for the Season

Posted by Trotsky 
Page: Previous1 2 345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Opponents News 2: Hockey's the Reason for the Season
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2018 09:45PM

Beeeej
Anybody able to get Clarkson's streaming video to work at [clarksonathletics.com] ? They're in OT with Brown, 2-2.

I had it up, starting at about a minute into the OT. The picture quality was horrendous. I thought it could be an issue on my end, but then my daughter connected and the feed was terrible for her too.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2018 09:57PM

Beeeej
Beeeej
Anybody able to get Clarkson's streaming video to work at [clarksonathletics.com] ? They're in OT with Brown, 2-2.

Never mind - 2-2 tie, OT final. Wow.
Crazy result the night after Brown handed SLU their first conference win of the season.

Cornell's alone at the top of the ECAC!

Date: January 27, 2018 10:06PM

BigRedHockeyFan
Notre Dame vs. Minnesota, full game, 200 x 100 sheet.

[www.youtube.com]
Notre Dame is up 3-1 in the third. If you want to watch, [www.foxsportsgo.com]

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2018 10:08PM

ugarte
BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]

Trying, but pretty sure you can't watch it unless you also already get that channel in your lineup on cable or FiOS.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 27, 2018 10:19PM

Beeeej
ugarte
BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]

Trying, but pretty sure you can't watch it unless you also already get that channel in your lineup on cable or FiOS.
i think if you have FS1 you can watch any of the regional stuff online. At least I can.

Date: January 27, 2018 10:29PM

ugarte
Beeeej
ugarte
BigRedHockeyFan

[www.youtube.com]

i think if you have FS1 you can watch any of the regional stuff online. At least I can.

Turns out you're correct, so I can stream it on my laptop, but not on the FS Go app on my iPhone for some reason, and mirroring to the AppleTV from the laptop sucks. The game's essentially over anyway, and Notre Dame's about to retake the lead in PWR by virtue of their higher RPI.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2018 10:58PM

Jim Hyla
Princeton Announces it will hold Champions Weekend on Feb. 17

The Princeton men's hockey program is pleased to announce it will hold Champions Weekend on Feb. 17 to honor the championship teams of 1998 and 2008.

A ceremonial puck drop will be held with Princeton hockey alums and Stanley Cup champions George Parros '03 and Kevin Westgarth '07.

Neither of whom were on the championship teams.screwy

Really? For an ECAC title?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.dhcp.nwtw.ct.charter.com)
Date: January 28, 2018 07:45AM

Notre Dame's win over Minnesota puts them back up to #1 and drops us to #2. And St. Cloud is nipping at our heels.

Once again we're the only team in the PWR with no Quality Inn bonus points.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (12.226.25.---)
Date: January 28, 2018 08:10AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Can't even get a free room.

Date: January 28, 2018 12:41PM

Just in case anybody was wondering, Tuesday night's travel partner tilt featuring Princeton at Quinnipiac will not affect our PWR position regardless of the result.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2018 11:17PM

Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
Can't even get a free room.

l3
_3

(that's a thumbs up)

The only thing separating an old-school forum like this form newer social media is a Like button.

Posted by: brealy_myers (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2018 12:07AM

If I'm not mistaken we recently clinched home ice advantage in the playoffs. Since the theoretical maximum league points by the 9th place team is 22 (in an absurd situation where there's a 12-way tie at 22 points), by passing that mark against Harvard we guaranteed at least 8th place. Realistically there's probably a way to model out the point at which everyone ending with a 22 point tie becomes no longer possible (example, if St Lawrence won all of their remaining games to get to 22 points that means others would have to lose, and Princeton and Quinnipiac still have to play RPI again, so it's conceivable that would make the maximum achievable points by the 9th place team less than 22 at this point). So maybe we clinched home ice against Colgate. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that if we win out next weekend against Union and RPI and Colgate and Dartmouth both wind up with 2 points or fewer, then we'd clinch a first week bye.

Not to jinx it or anything.

Man I have too much time on my hands.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 12:44AM

brealy_myers
If I'm not mistaken we recently clinched home ice advantage in the playoffs.

Correct if you mean we have secured a home playoff series. Obviously we could still play a road QF series. Our magic number for clinching a 1R bye is 3.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2018 12:49AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 07:59AM

Trotsky
brealy_myers
If I'm not mistaken we recently clinched home ice advantage in the playoffs.

Correct if you mean we have secured a home playoff series. Obviously we could still play a road QF series. Our magic number for clinching a 1R bye is 3.

And that's the one that really matters.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 08:05AM

Al DeFlorio
Y and H put 53 and 51 shots on goal tonight. Neither scored.
During the game.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.buffalo.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2018 09:27PM

Beeeej
Just in case anybody was wondering, Tuesday night's travel partner tilt featuring Princeton at Quinnipiac will not affect our PWR position regardless of the result.

Princeton winds up winning the game in a battle of two of the conference's bottom feeders. However, that last first-round home seed is very much up for grabs. The current 8th place team is Brown since they have the tiebreaker over Princeton, but each team still has a game against each other in Providence. Only 3 points separate 8th from 11th right now.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2018 09:28PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.127.---)
Date: January 31, 2018 03:25PM

Iceberg
Beeeej

Princeton winds up winning the game in a battle of two of the conference's bottom feeders. However, that last first-round home seed is very much up for grabs. The current 8th place team is Brown since they have the tiebreaker over Princeton, but each team still has a game against each other in Providence. Only 3 points separate 8th from 11th right now.

I decided to scout some of our potential playoff opponents by going to last night's game. Quinnipiac looked horrible, especially on defense, giving up 20 SOG in the first period. Princeton was 3-for-3 on the power-play. Princeton's first line is excellent, but the rest of the team is nothing special. Even so, I'd rather play Princeton then Q if it came to that in the postseason. In any case, Pecknold was not happy after the game. The rink was half full, and the student section mostly empty except for the pep band. I overheard one fan commenting on the way out, "The hockey games aren't like they used to be."

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2018 03:28PM

dbilmes
Iceberg
Beeeej

I decided to scout some of our potential playoff opponents by going to last night's game. Quinnipiac looked horrible, especially on defense, giving up 20 SOG in the first period. Princeton was 3-for-3 on the power-play. Princeton's first line is excellent, but the rest of the team is nothing special. Even so, I'd rather play Princeton then Q if it came to that in the postseason. In any case, Pecknold was not happy after the game. The rink was half full, and the student section mostly empty except for the pep band. I overheard one fan commenting on the way out, "The hockey games aren't like they used to be."

For whatever reason we've had trouble scoring on Q this year -- 3 goals in 2 games. Of course we've only given up 2 ourselves in those games and won both. But I do think we match up better against Princeton, especially at Lynah where we'd have the last change and can put out the best personnel to neutralize Princeton's strong top line.

Date: January 31, 2018 03:38PM

scoop85
For whatever reason we've had trouble scoring on Q this year -- 3 goals in 2 games. Of course we've only given up 2 ourselves in those games and won both.

That would be a neat trick!

The scores were 2-1 and 1-0, so while we did score only three goals, Quinnipiac only scored one.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2018 03:58PM

andyw2100
scoop85
For whatever reason we've had trouble scoring on Q this year -- 3 goals in 2 games. Of course we've only given up 2 ourselves in those games and won both.

The scores were 2-1 and 1-0, so while we did score only three goals, Quinnipiac only scored one.

crazy

Posted by: Give My Regards (98.159.213.---)
Date: January 31, 2018 04:12PM

andyw2100
scoop85

Q must have had one disallowed. whistle

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 08:06PM

dbilmes
Iceberg
Beeeej

That game vs. Princeton was atypical in that Q was outshot. On the season as a whole Q has been throwing a ton of pucks on net but just not scoring. Given how good their possession metrics are I think they're getting very unlucky and I wouldn't want to play them in the playoffs.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2018 08:06PM by BearLover.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 12:01PM

BearLover
That game vs. Princeton was atypical in that Q was outshot. On the season as a whole Q has been throwing a ton of pucks on net but just not scoring. Given how good their possession metrics are I think they're getting very unlucky and I wouldn't want to play them in the playoffs.

Their goaltending hasn't panned out either.

Posted by: gonyr (168.169.221.---)
Date: February 01, 2018 02:16PM

Guess this fits under opponent's news, even though it's not a current player ...

[www.bbc.com]

Date: February 01, 2018 02:27PM

gonyr
Guess this fits under opponent's news, even though it's not a current player ...

[www.bbc.com]

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 05:01PM

Beeeej
gonyr

[www.bbc.com]

At least NHS covers the syphilis.

Posted by: French Rage (38.99.127.---)
Date: February 01, 2018 07:18PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.128.104.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 08:45PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
gonyr

[www.bbc.com]

At least NHS covers the syphilis.

Does that make it a pre-medicated act?

Date: February 02, 2018 09:30PM

Q didn't look very good on Tuesday but they were good enough to wallop Clarkson tonight apparently.

Date: February 03, 2018 09:41AM

Iceberg
Q didn't look very good on Tuesday but they were good enough to wallop Clarkson tonight apparently.

And provided a cautionary tale on what happens when a weaker team gets the better of a team near the top of the PWR in even a single game. Clarkson's down from #4 to #7 (while Quinnipiac's rise from #37 to #34 certainly doesn't help as much as Clarkson's slip hurts).

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: February 03, 2018 06:39PM

Iceberg

Q sounds like a dangerous team. They've got terrible goaltending numbers and one of the worst shooting percentages in the NCAA to go along with it, but they're among the best on close possession metrics. I've heard really mixed reviews of their play from people on this board, so I suspect they're inconsistent. All of that adds up to upset potential for me - a couple of good decent games from their goaltender, a change in their shooting fortunes, or just their Dr. Jekyll team showing up could really ruin somebody's weekend in a league playoff series.

Date: February 03, 2018 06:43PM

Tom Lento
they're among the best on close possession metrics.
Linky? Here or someplace else.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 06:53PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: February 03, 2018 07:39PM

Trotsky
Tom Lento
they're among the best on close possession metrics.
Linky? Here or someplace else.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

If you sort by CF% in the "close" section you'll see Q in third. Even strength is probably a little more robust but it's the same basic story as far as Q is concerned. Fenwick shows the same general ranking.

Fun fact: the ECAC has 6 of the bottom 7 teams in the NCAA in shooting percentage - RPI, Q, Colgate, Dartmouth, Yale, and Brown. Of those, Yale and Q are near the top in terms of possession - better than Cornell, although Yale's schedule strength is even worse than Cornell's.

If shooting percentage really is a regression to the mean stat in college hockey I'd expect the ECAC to be stronger next season on that basis alone. Of course, it might also just be that those teams all have shot-happy home scorekeepers.

Date: February 03, 2018 09:18PM

Beeeej
Iceberg

And provided a cautionary tale on what happens when a weaker team gets the better of a team near the top of the PWR in even a single game. Clarkson's down from #4 to #7 (while Quinnipiac's rise from #37 to #34 certainly doesn't help as much as Clarkson's slip hurts).
and now there's another example

Date: February 03, 2018 09:25PM

ugarte
Beeeej
Iceberg

We're only down to #3, though. So far.

- Steve Worona

Date: February 03, 2018 11:37PM

Beeeej
ugarte
Beeeej
Iceberg

Down to #4 with Denver's win.

- Steve Worona

Date: February 04, 2018 12:16AM

Beeeej
Beeeej
ugarte
Beeeej
Iceberg

Down to #4 with Denver's win.
USCHO is showing us tied in comparisons with Denver but ahead on RPI; CHN has us in 4th.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2018 12:50AM

I like #4. Gets us a top seed and avoids the target of #1 overall. The perfect sleeper ranking!!1!

Posted by: Iceberg (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: February 05, 2018 01:41PM

The Beanpot starts today at 5 PM with BC/Northeastern and then BU/Harvard later. The best case scenario would probably be BU or Harvard winning against Northeastern in the final.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 01:43PM by Iceberg.

Date: February 05, 2018 01:45PM

Iceberg
The Beanpot starts today at 5 PM with BU/Harvard. That game probably won't do much for the pairwise, but I imagine if either team wins the championship that would provide a boost. Best scenario I would imagine is either one of them facing Northeastern in the final and winning.

From my tweaking, it looks like a Harvard victory over either Northeastern or BC in the final puts us back up to #3 in the PWR - and as far as I can tell, no other result lifts us out of #4, but I'm not 100% sure I tried all the combos.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2018 09:36PM

Hilarious Beanpot moment: halfway through the 2nd period announcers are reading a commercial deploring baldness and promoting a hair replacement product while the camera pans over to Ted Donato's gleaming pate.banana

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2018 11:41PM

The Bu Harvard beanpot game is a super entertaining up and down track meet heading into the second overtime right now. If you are up and have access to 5he game, definitely time in. NESN 851 IN boston.

Also, currently back to 3 in the pwr after northeastern beat bc in the flat game.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 06, 2018 12:32AM

BU beats Harvard.

If I understand PWR correctly, it would have been more helpful to us had Harvard won because we beat them twice but BU only once.

Still, it feels good whenever Harvard loses. It also feels good when BU loses, but this is based on a rivalry that peaked about 50 years ago.

Since we often don't care who wins BU/Harvard matchup, it's one in which we often can't lose.

Date: February 06, 2018 07:27AM

Swampy
BU beats Harvard.

If I understand PWR correctly, it would have been more helpful to us had Harvard won because we beat them twice but BU only once.

Still, it feels good whenever Harvard loses. It also feels good when BU loses, but this is based on a rivalry that peaked about 50 years ago.

Since we often don't care who wins BU/Harvard matchup, it's one in which we often can't lose.

I wasn't watching the numbers live, but if Northeastern's win put us in #3, BU's win dropped us back down to #4. And what should be the best result for us next Monday, Harvard and BU wins, doesn't do enough to put us back up to #3 on its own.

Plenty of other games between now and then, though, including a couple of important ones for us. So just win.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2018 03:46AM

RichH
This will probably need its own thread soon, but the bottom just fell out of an opponent's season. Anyone who thought SLU's struggles couldn't get any worse was mistaken.

According to Adam's story, it's more allegations about Mark Morris again.

And the answer is, It's no big deal at SLU.

Date: February 08, 2018 09:59AM

Jim Hyla
RichH
This will probably need its own thread soon, but the bottom just fell out of an opponent's season. Anyone who thought SLU's struggles couldn't get any worse was mistaken.

According to Adam's story, it's more allegations about Mark Morris again.

And the answer is, It's no big deal at SLU.

"Investigation Finds St. Lawrence Winning Again"

Posted by: BigRedHockeyFan (---.apn.wlan.upenn.edu)
Date: February 10, 2018 05:09AM

"And the answer is, It's no big deal at SLU."

It's sad that their program kind of fell apart this year.

That said, I hope Cornell wins tonight.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2018 05:14AM by BigRedHockeyFan.

Date: February 10, 2018 05:11AM

Alabama Huntsville almost took down Minn-State last night. Could have been a pairwise plus. They get another chance tonight.

[www.youtube.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2018 05:32AM by BigRedHockeyFan.

Date: February 10, 2018 09:17AM

BigRedHockeyFan

SLU has had a good couple of weeks, sweeping the Y/B weekend and pasting Colgate last night 5-2. I hope last week's RPI game was instructive.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2018 09:46AM

ugarte
BigRedHockeyFan

SLU has had a good couple of weeks, sweeping the Y/B weekend and pasting Colgate last night 5-2. I hope last week's RPI game was instructive.

“Pasting” Colgate indeed :-}

Date: February 10, 2018 10:54AM

scoop85
ugarte
BigRedHockeyFan

“Pasting” Colgate indeed :-}
i would climb the highest mountain to speak to the most powerful wizard to make a wish to take that back

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2018 09:20PM

Tie for second in the league now between Clarkson and Union.

Date: February 10, 2018 09:22PM

Clarkson blows a 2 goal lead with 10 to play and ties Colgate 4-4, so we are now up 4 with 4 to play.

Ohio State is blowing out Notre Dame - now 5-1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2018 09:25PM by ugarte.

Date: February 12, 2018 06:58PM

Harvard beat BC 5-4 in OT in the Beanpot consy, which I imagine will be helpful for our PWR. Now we hope BU beats Northeastern in the championship game for a further boost.

Date: February 12, 2018 07:03PM

scoop85
Harvard beat BC 5-4 in OT in the Beanpot consy, which I imagine will be helpful for our PWR. Now we hope BU beats Northeastern in the championship game for a further boost.
Did it make the real OT rule or was it one of those dumb tourney tie breakers?

Edit: 02:43 of OT. Good.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 07:04PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 12, 2018 07:06PM

Interesting how after PWR has tracked RPI almost exactly since December, now 2 and 3 are inverted.

Date: February 12, 2018 09:22PM

scoop85

Not likely. NU is up 4-1 after 2.

Date: February 12, 2018 10:01PM

Northeastern has a scary top line. They're the kind of team that can make either make a run or fizzle out in their first big game (almost like Union last year).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 10:02PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2018 07:15AM

I saw NE play once live.. they have really good speed on the top line, they play almost no solid D on the backend, if you can get the puck in deep. but they also play keep away at times on the offensive end..

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2018 12:34PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
scoop85
2018 Beanpot final: Northeastern 5, BU 2. First time in 30 years, 5th title in 66 years for Northeastern. [www.uscho.com]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: February 13, 2018 04:14PM

billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82
scoop85
2018 Beanpot final: Northeastern 5, BU 2. First time in 30 years, 5th title in 66 years for Northeastern. [www.uscho.com]

And we're back up to 3rd in the pairwise.

It wasn't the Sucks win. We were still 4th after that. Maybe Air Force's loss today? IDK.

Date: February 16, 2018 09:25PM

Clarkson last nine games: 1-4-4

Date: February 16, 2018 09:44PM

St.Cloud and Western tied 5-5.

Michigan leading Notre Dame 4-2 halfway through the third.

Date: February 16, 2018 10:00PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Both games now final with those scores.

- Steve Worona

Date: February 16, 2018 10:01PM

Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82

...and bizarrely, with the RPI as tiebreak, CHN has us moving up to #3 but Notre Dame up to #2, with Denver sliding to #4.

- Steve Worona

Date: February 16, 2018 10:05PM

Beeeej
Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82

...and bizarrely, with the RPI as tiebreak, CHN has us moving up to #3 but Notre Dame up to #2, with Denver sliding to #4.
She moves in mysterious ways.

Date: February 16, 2018 10:07PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82

It's alright. It's alright.

And N.Dakota drops to 14. This is getting interesting.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2018 10:15PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Swampy (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2018 10:22PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Beeeej
Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82

UConn beating BU may have something to do with our standing in the pairwise.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-70-209-144.myvzw.com)
Date: February 16, 2018 10:32PM

BigRedHockeyFan
Clarkson last nine games: 1-4-4

Daredevilcu, who visits here occasionally, posted an eye catching stat on the Clarkson board for their goalie:

“First 22 games of the season - 28 goals allowed, 1.27 gaa

Last 9 games - 27 goals allowed, 3.00 gaa”

Date: February 16, 2018 10:56PM

Swampy
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Beeeej
Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82

No. The issue is that tonight's Denver result isn't on yet. If Denver wins tonight, the pwr looks like this:

1. St cloud,
2. Denver.
3 notre dame
4. Cornell

Posted by: Swampy (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2018 07:16AM

abmarks
Swampy
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Beeeej
Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82

No. The issue is that tonight's Denver result isn't on yet. If Denver wins tonight, the pwr looks like this:

1. St cloud,
2. Denver.
3 notre dame
4. Cornell

Yes, and unfortunately DU 5 > CC 1

Date: February 17, 2018 09:35PM

Clarkson loses again, but this time they give up 5 goals. They'll host P and Q next weekend but at the rate they're going they might play themselves right out of a NCAA bid.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2018 09:42PM

Iceberg
Clarkson loses again, but this time they give up 5 goals. They'll host P and Q next weekend but at the rate they're going they might play themselves right out of a NCAA bid.
Clarkson has gone 1-5-4 since a January 16 College Hockey News article headlined "Clarkson is Here to Stay."thud

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-70-214-99.myvzw.com)
Date: February 17, 2018 09:45PM

Clarkson SUCKS. hope we get them in LP semis and not Harvard. Are they in danger in blowing an at large bid if they keep this up?

Date: February 17, 2018 09:51PM

CU2007
Clarkson SUCKS. hope we get them in LP semis and not Harvard. Are they in danger in blowing an at large bid if they keep this up?

So far, no. But if the trend continues, maybe.

Date: February 17, 2018 11:30PM

Denver loses to Colorado College 1-0, and they're down to 5th, Cornell up to 3rd, Minnesota State - Mankato up to 4th.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2018 12:15AM

next weekend is key, wins there against a hot Union team and we cant get more than 2 more losses and probably stay around top 8 and a good seed.. get to the semis and we may stay a top 4 seed

Date: February 18, 2018 12:28AM

Win Lake Placid and let the NC$$ take care of itself.

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2018 09:18AM

No question game(s) of the week coming up will be the pair of games Denver at St Cloud.

Posted by: Robb (107.77.80.---)
Date: February 18, 2018 09:32AM

Without doing the math, I assume it's best if one of them sweeps - I suspect they both stay above us with a split.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-217-9.myvzw.com)
Date: February 18, 2018 01:25PM

Robb
Without doing the math, I assume it's best if one of them sweeps - I suspect they both stay above us with a split.

I think our best bet is if St. Cloud sweeps. If the goal is to avoid the Sioux Falls regional (and assuming we get a 1 seed), we want there to be a 1 seed below us and not in North Dakota's conference. Minnesota State, Ohio State, and Notre Dame would all fit that bill.

Some big assumptions there, and who knows how it will shake out, but we're probably better off if St Cloud stays on top.

Date: February 18, 2018 05:37PM

Dafatone
Robb

I think our best bet is if St. Cloud sweeps. If the goal is to avoid the Sioux Falls regional (and assuming we get a 1 seed), we want there to be a 1 seed below us and not in North Dakota's conference. Minnesota State, Ohio State, and Notre Dame would all fit that bill.

Some big assumptions there, and who knows how it will shake out, but we're probably better off if St Cloud stays on top.

I ran the script on chn and added only possible results for the two st cloud v Denver games.

If st cloud sweeps:

1 St. Cloud State 59 .6121
2 Notre Dame 57 .5908
3 Cornell 57 .5847
4 Minnesota State 56 .5774
5 Denver 56 .5703
6 Ohio State

If they split:
1 St. Cloud State 59 .6014
2 Notre Dame 57 .5909
3 Cornell 57 .5847
4 Denver 57 .5809
5 Minnesota State 55 .5769
6 Ohio State

Denver sweep;
1 Denver 59 .5907
2 Notre Dame 58 .5913
3 St. Cloud State 57 .5908
4 Cornell 56 .5848
5 Minnesota State 5765
6 Ohio State

Posted by: ugarte (---.250.38.244.hwccustomers.com)
Date: February 18, 2018 07:45PM

i'm amazed that clarkson hasn't fallen out of the top 10 with the way they've cratered

Date: February 18, 2018 07:56PM

Notre Dame just lost to Michigan, 1-0. Pairwise not updated yet, but I'm guessing we may be up to second.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2018 07:59PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-70-209-134.myvzw.com)
Date: February 18, 2018 07:57PM

Michigan beats Notre Dame 1-0 to sweep the weekend. Await PWR

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2018 08:02PM

ugarte
i'm amazed that clarkson hasn't fallen out of the top 10 with the way they've cratered

That’s the help of a strong ooc sos (Minnesota, penn state, western Michigan) compared to just uah, niagara and Canisius.

Posted by: KenP (208.49.44.---)
Date: February 18, 2018 09:48PM

Jim Hyla
Michigan beats Notre Dame 1-0 to sweep the weekend. Await PWR
Still in 3rd. Lose to Notre Dame in RPI .5848 to .5871.

Date: February 18, 2018 10:06PM

toddlose
ugarte

That’s the help of a strong ooc sos (Minnesota, penn state, western Michigan) compared to just uah, niagara and Canisius.

Left out BU, which while not vintage, is still a respectable opponent this year.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-217-4.myvzw.com)
Date: February 18, 2018 10:10PM

scoop85
toddlose
ugarte

Left out BU, which while not vintage, is still a respectable opponent this year.

For as terrible as the ECAC has been, Hockey East has been even worse, at least in terms of comparing top teams.

Date: February 18, 2018 10:17PM

scoop85
toddlose
ugarte

Wow. I did miss that.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-217-4.myvzw.com)
Date: February 18, 2018 10:24PM

toddlose
scoop85
toddlose
ugarte

Wow. I did miss that.

And Miami, who hasn't been great this year, but is usually a pretty solid team.

Date: February 18, 2018 10:36PM

Dafatone
toddlose
scoop85
toddlose
ugarte

Wow. I did miss that.

And Miami, who hasn't been great this year, but is usually a pretty solid team.

I knew that. Just saying, without looking at pairwise, Clarkson has 3 ooc opponents better than any one of ours.

Date: February 18, 2018 10:41PM

ugarte
Speaking of cratering, Colgate, who was PWR 19 just a month ago and on the cusp of the tourney, is now 37.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2018 10:43PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2018 03:32AM

Trotsky
ugarte
Speaking of cratering, Colgate, who was PWR 19 just a month ago and on the cusp of the tourney, is now 37.

And has played their last 4 games with senior Racine in goal as Point is injured.

Date: February 19, 2018 09:57PM

Dafatone

For as terrible as the ECAC has been, Hockey East has been even worse, at least in terms of comparing top teams.

The funny thing about Hockey East is that the team likely to finish 1st in the conference--BC--hasn't beaten a single OOC opponent. It's a good thing that the CC Rule doesn't exist anymore. The thought that at one time a team could theoretically get into the NCAA's by winning its conference is hilarious given this situation.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-217-8.myvzw.com)
Date: February 19, 2018 10:21PM

You know what's not helping our strength of schedule a ton?

Since starting out 9-4-1, Niagara has gone 2-14-2.

Date: February 22, 2018 12:07PM

Not that I suspect anyone was worried, but there is no set of results for tonight's two games (one AH, one HE) that would affect Cornell's spot in the PWR more than the tiniest insignificant amount.

- Steve Worona

Date: February 22, 2018 12:38PM

Dafatone

Except for BU, all our NC opponents let us down.

Niagara. 6-3-1 before our game. 5-17-1 since.
Canisius. 10-5-1 before. 5-9-1 since.
Miami (2x). 6-6-2 before. 3-10-1 since.
UAH (2x). 1-3-0 before. 9-15-2 since.
BU. 6-7-1 before. 10-5-2 since.

Net: 26-43-5 .385 before. 44-81-7 .360 after.

Posted by: marty (199.168.151.---)
Date: February 22, 2018 12:46PM

Trotsky
Dafatone

Looks like an advertisement to stay clear of the "Big Red Machine".

Date: February 22, 2018 02:25PM

marty
Trotsky
Dafatone

Looks like an advertisement to stay clear of the "Big Red Machine".

It also shows we played a really, really shitty schedule this year.

Page: Previous1 2 345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login