Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Red Hot Hockey, 11/25/17

Posted by Beeeej 
Red Hot Hockey, 11/25/17
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2017 12:46PM

Nate Owen once again writes an ECAC column that demonstrates he has no idea how to access his own website's resources:

[www.uscho.com]

BU has won three of the first five Red Hot Hockey games, but I think the Big Red even the series Saturday. Cornell wins

That would be a neat trick, since the other two of the first five Red Hot Hockey games ended in ties. rolleyes

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2017 12:46PM by Beeeej.

Re: Red Hot Hockey, 11/25/17
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2017 01:03PM

Beeeej
Nate Owen once again writes an ECAC column that demonstrates he has no idea how to access his own website's resources:

[www.uscho.com]

BU has won three of the first five Red Hot Hockey games, but I think the Big Red even the series Saturday. Cornell wins

That would be a neat trick, since the other two of the first five Red Hot Hockey games ended in ties. rolleyes
Triple of nothing!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 24, 2017 01:06PM

He's giving us ties as moral victories.

Is this bound-to-be-disappointment-because-we-can't-have-nice-things-why-would-20fucking17-of-all-years-be-any-different? going to be on ILDN or any video stream?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2017 01:07PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 24, 2017 01:08PM

Trotsky

Is this bound-to-be-disappointment-because-we-can't-have-nice-things-why-would-20fucking17-of-all-years-be-any-different? going to be on ILDN or any video stream?

Cornell has a link to an ILDN page, but I guess we'll see.

[www.ivyleaguenetwork.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2017 01:08PM by Beeeej.

Date: November 24, 2017 01:09PM

Beeeej
Trotsky

I saw that but my trust is low.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: November 24, 2017 02:08PM

Weren't they ties in the official books, but BU "won" in a shootout? Or am I making that up?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2017 02:23PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Trotsky

I trust we will all be bitching about watching the MSG scoreboard cam hopefully synced to HCU audio.

Date: November 24, 2017 02:52PM

marty
Trotsky
Beeeej
Trotsky

I trust we will all be bitching about watching the MSG scoreboard cam hopefully synced to HCU audio.

They finally got rid of "in ANY subject (any subject, any subject, echo-ho-ho...)" The new ad is actually competent and not embarrassing.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2017 02:52PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Mark (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2017 03:14PM

BU is providing a live stream of the game through Terrier TV. Go to the MIH section of the BU athletics web site and find it linked in the RHH preview. Not sure how this would compare with anything being done by the ILN broadcast.

Hopefully Team Inconsistent will at least make the Big Red break a sweat.

Date: November 24, 2017 03:18PM

Mark
BU is providing a live stream of the game through Terrier TV. Go to the MIH section of the BU athletics web site and find it linked in the RHH preview. Not sure how this would compare with anything being done by the ILN broadcast.

Hopefully Team Inconsistent will at least make the Big Red break a sweat.

If BU is already providing a live stream, chances are the ILDN is just going to be restreaming it. That's my bet, anyway.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2017 07:13PM

Beeeej

Trotsky

It's actually on the "schedule" on the ILDN site. Does that, in your opinion, increase the probability that they actually carry the game, or have they listed games in the schedule before and then not carried the game?

Edit: And just in case it's not on ILDN, or in case the Terrier TV broadcast is better, or for those that want to watch that don't subscribe to ILDN, here's the Terrier TV URL for our game:

[watchstadium.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2017 07:18PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2017 08:24PM

CU2007
Weren't they ties in the official books, but BU "won" in a shootout? Or am I making that up?
IIRC the first tie was just left as a tie; the second tie went to a shootout that BU won.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.buffalo.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2017 10:19PM

Very impressed with Mullin in this game. He's fought through quite a number of these BU defenders tonight.

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2017 10:29PM

I agree with Adam, he should leave the booth. This is getting ridiculous.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2017 11:08PM

Good effort, at times really good.. at times really sloppy, BU with tons of talent and it shows. best game Galajda played all year. some great saves one bad goal but more than offset by some really good saves..

the offense attacked all night and earned the 4 goals, could have been several more, but then BU had several close calls as well.

the D needs to be better clearing when they have the chance and those failed clears led to several scrambling near goals.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 25, 2017 11:51PM

BU is faster and prettier but we are stronger. Agree with upprdeck that there were a million lazy clearing attempts. Get some goddamn wood on the puck. Too often it was not only floating right to their man at the point but it was soft enough that he was able to pass it cleanly right off of the clear.

I thought the first and third Galajda goals were kind of soft. Maybe he was screened on the first but he should have covered up the third.

Overall, though, a hell of a performance against a team that is going to be something when they get their shit together. Glad it wasn't tonight.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2017 12:16AM

Great hustle, great effort, great win.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2017 12:48AM

Lazy clears yes but other than that this team contained BU's talent as best they could. A great win.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.buffalo.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2017 03:19AM

ugarte
BU is faster and prettier but we are stronger. Agree with upprdeck that there were a million lazy clearing attempts. Get some goddamn wood on the puck. Too often it was not only floating right to their man at the point but it was soft enough that he was able to pass it cleanly right off of the clear.

I thought the first and third Galajda goals were kind of soft. Maybe he was screened on the first but he should have covered up the third.

Overall, though, a hell of a performance against a team that is going to be something when they get their shit together. Glad it wasn't tonight.

That pretty much says it all about BU. They just haven't been able to get it together despite the talent. It's a great example of how talent alone doesn't make a successful team.

Date: November 26, 2017 09:27AM

it was interesting to hear the talk about guys going to the worlds and the Olympics.. it could huge effects on teams like Harvard/Bu with the elite guys.

feb 9 -25 and we play Harvard on jan 26. they must have some kind of training camp period before that.

Date: November 26, 2017 10:59AM

Vanderlaan and Baron are so impressive at carrying the puck, passing, and not getting knocked off the puck. One is 6'3, the other is 5'7, but they both fit the system well and the best creators on the team.

Kaldis seemed to play 30+ minutes last night, which was possible with the many TV timeouts. He rebounded from an error-prone outing on Tuesday.

My guess is that Stewart would be playing if he were healthy, maybe in a goalie platoon with Galajda. Galajda has been very good for a freshman but a .914 save percentage is low by Cornell standards and he's let in a few he should have stopped lately (though I don't think any of the three last night were his fault).

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2017 12:02PM

BearLover
Vanderlaan and Baron are so impressive at carrying the puck, passing, and not getting knocked off the puck. One is 6'3, the other is 5'7, but they both fit the system well and the best creators on the team.

Kaldis seemed to play 30+ minutes last night, which was possible with the many TV timeouts. He rebounded from an error-prone outing on Tuesday.

My guess is that Stewart would be playing if he were healthy, maybe in a goalie platoon with Galajda. Galajda has been very good for a freshman but a .914 save percentage is low by Cornell standards and he's let in a few he should have stopped lately (though I don't think any of the three last night were his fault).

Galajda was generally terrific last night, but the 3rd goal was a softie that he would certainly want back.

Date: November 26, 2017 12:50PM

Some observations from my seat in Section 210 at MSG:

1. It appeared the crowd was bigger than at the 2015 BU game at the Garden. As usual about 2/3 consisted of Cornell fans. Lots of energy in the building, and the game was worthy of it.

2. We got off to a strong start with nice possession in the BU end that set the tone for most of the game.

3. As I've said a few times this season, what separates this team from most recent CU teams is balance among all the lines. Every line is now a threat to score, and that puts a lot of pressure on the other team's defense.

4. I don't know if Fiegl is injured, but I was surprised that he didn't play last night as a senior in his final MSG game.

5. Galajda was terrific for most of the game (sans the 3rd BU goal), especially on BU's 2nd power play when he made two huge saves.

6. Nice to see Starrett bury that 1st goal with a gorgeous shot top shelf. The kid has a lot of ability and we need him to show more of that.

7. Lots of guys played well, but some who stood out to me were Vanderlaan, Angello, Barron, Bauld, Kaldis, and Green. I thought Schantz had one of the best games of his career and did a great job on the forecheck, and was instrumental in creating Mullin's decisive goal. As for Barron, he plays with great confidence and skill as the leader of the stellar freshman class. Kudos to the coaches for bringing in this group.

8. As has been said BU has scary potential and you would think that at some point they will catch fire, which will do good things for our PWR.

9. The biggest downside last night, as others have mentioned, was our numerous poor clearing attempts that led to extended BU possessions in our end and extended heart palpitations for yours truly. While Smith has been an excellent player for us, he had a really tough game last night with numerous giveaways in our end, including on the play that led to BU's 2nd PP goal that gave them life.

10. Funny note: just as that last Cornell penalty was called my daughter (ILR '17) began the "winning team-losing team" chant. I immediately shut her down and gave her some serious side eye. When BU scored their 2nd and then 3rd goals more side eye followed. After we held on I told her that had BU come all the way back, her inheritance would have been in serious jeopardy ;-)

Date: November 26, 2017 01:24PM

scoop85
10. Funny note: just as that last Cornell penalty was called my daughter (ILR '17) began the "winning team-losing team" chant. I immediately shut her down and gave her some serious side eye. When BU scored their 2nd and then 3rd goals more side eye followed. After we held on I told her that had BU come all the way back, her inheritance would have been in serious jeopardy ;-)

Your daughter started winning team / losing team at 13:17?!

That is very sketchy parenting.

Posted by: LGR14 (---.sub-174-200-5.myvzw.com)
Date: November 26, 2017 01:45PM

That beats the woman in 209 who brought out her keys with 7 minutes to go

Date: November 26, 2017 01:52PM

Trotsky
scoop85

Well, she was probably on her 3rd or 4th beer by then. But regardless, I agree she needs to go to a Cornell hockey fan reeducation camp.

And get this--she and lot of the other new alumns were drinking their beer with a straw. Is that a new thing?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-217-37.myvzw.com)
Date: November 26, 2017 02:28PM

scoop85
Trotsky
scoop85

Well, she was probably on her 3rd or 4th beer by then. But regardless, I agree she needs to go to a Cornell hockey fan reeducation camp.

And get this--she and lot of the other new alumns were drinking their beer with a straw. Is that a new thing?

I'm officially old. Thanks.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2017 04:39PM by Dafatone.

Date: November 26, 2017 03:15PM

scoop85
BearLover

Galajda was generally terrific last night, but the 3rd goal was a softie that he would certainly want back.
From what I could see (Cornell section but other side from where the goal was scored), there was only a split second between the initial shot from the corner hitting Galadja's pad and the streaking goalscorer chipping the rebound over his pad. But in the postgame interview Schafer did indicate he thought Galadja should have had it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2017 03:16PM by BearLover.

Date: November 26, 2017 06:44PM

BearLover
From what I could see (Cornell section but other side from where the goal was scored), there was only a split second between the initial shot from the corner hitting Galadja's pad and the streaking goalscorer chipping the rebound over his pad. But in the postgame interview Schafer did indicate he thought Galadja should have had it.
If I'm remembering right it was at an awful angle so Matt only needed to cover a sliver of net. Though it was a softy I remember being more impressed that Harper hit the spot.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2017 08:02PM

Trotsky
BearLover
If I'm remembering right it was at an awful angle so Matt only needed to cover a sliver of net. Though it was a softy I remember being more impressed that Harper hit the spot.

Perhaps I'm not remembering it correctly, but I don't think the original shot was from that much of an angle, though it was, of course, from --an-- angle. I also think the puck just sat on the ice, within Galajda's reach, for longer than a split second (he must not have seen it) before then being pushed (not really shot) in.

I'm going to see if I can find a replay to see if my memory is way off.

Edit: Here is the URL to the highlights: [www.youtube.com]

Basically everything I wrote above is wrong. The shot --WAS-- from a tough angle, the puck did not sit on the ice uncovered very long, and it looks like the BU player did lift it up and over to score the goal.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2017 08:12PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 26, 2017 09:47PM

BearLover
scoop85
BearLover

How did you view the postgame interview? I haven't found the video.

Date: November 26, 2017 10:03PM

Dafatone
scoop85
Trotsky
scoop85

I'm officially old. Thanks.

It's a Madison Square Garden thing. They now hand you a straw with each beer because the cap on the cup cuts down drastically on the amount of spillage the staff has to mop up later.

- Steve Worona

Date: November 26, 2017 10:06PM

In one of the recaps Schafer was asked how satisfied he is with the team so far this season. He replied with something like, "If someone had offered me being 9 and 1 with a team having 10 freshman, I'd have felt like I'd won the NY lottery."

But I wonder how rare this really is. BU & Clarkson both list 9 frosh on their rosters. Of course, being on a roster and playing are two different things. It seems this year our frosh are not only getting extensive ice time, they're also acting as leaders on the ice. I'm looking at you Morgan Barron and Matthew Galajda (whose name should be added to the Speling Guide).

Date: November 26, 2017 10:53PM

Swampy
BearLover
scoop85
BearLover

How did you view the postgame interview? I haven't found the video.
I gleaned it from this article.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2017 02:07AM

We love our goalie, but BU's Jake Oettinger was the first goalie taken in the 2017 draft. To light the lamp on him 4 times is an accomplishment. As a freshman in the spring he made 56 saves in the NCAA OT win over defending champ North Dakota and for the year had a 2.1 GA average. I was about to type GPA not GA. But maybe that, too. He's in BU's College of General Studies, CGS being a catch-all for some underclassmen unsure of where they're headed. BU students sometimes refer to CGS as "Crayons, Glue, Scissors." Cruel.

Date: November 27, 2017 06:14AM

billhoward
We love our goalie, but BU's Jake Oettinger was the first goalie taken in the 2017 draft. To light the lamp on him 4 times is an accomplishment. As a freshman in the spring he made 56 saves in the NCAA OT win over defending champ North Dakota and for the year had a 2.1 GA average. I was about to type GPA not GA. But maybe that, too. He's in BU's College of General Studies, CGS being a catch-all for some underclassmen unsure of where they're headed. BU students sometimes refer to CGS as "Crayons, Glue, Scissors." Cruel.
Similar for west coast schools with Department of Unclassified Studies. "DUHHHHHHS..."

I'm sure Jake is a very nice boy.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2017 09:50AM

Not only is their goaltender a 1st round draft pick, but their defensive corp consists of a 1st round draft pick, a 2nd round pick, and multiple 3rd round picks. You would think that they should be leading the nation in defense with that group.

Then look at us - seems like, with few exceptions, most of our core players are not NHL draft picks.

Seems like recruiting (pretty good) kids that have experience playing with one another may have more value.

Date: November 27, 2017 10:07AM

margolism
Seems like recruiting (pretty good) kids that have experience playing with one another may have more value.
Is the Eng school up for building a hyperloop between Ithaca and Powell River, British Columbia?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-217-12.myvzw.com)
Date: November 27, 2017 10:35AM

margolism
Not only is their goaltender a 1st round draft pick, but their defensive corp consists of a 1st round draft pick, a 2nd round pick, and multiple 3rd round picks. You would think that they should be leading the nation in defense with that group.

Then look at us - seems like, with few exceptions, most of our core players are not NHL draft picks.

Draft picks are not always the best players right now. Sometimes an 18 year old drafted freshman will be behind a 20 year old undrafted freshman, but have more potential down the road.

That being said, I'm not seeing much of this looking at our roster ages.

Date: November 27, 2017 11:31AM

Dafatone
Draft picks are not always the best players right now. Sometimes an 18 year old drafted freshman will be behind a 20 year old undrafted freshman, but have more potential down the road.

Perhaps this is the royal road for us competing nationally perennially. We will never get the true blue chippers who go to Minnesota and North Dakota because, now how can I put this delicately?, because they're rock stupid.

But those guys are also just using the NC$$ as a quick stop before moving on to become inevitable NHL stars. They are being drafted by the NHL for who they will be at 25. Right now they may be kinda a mess.

We, on the other hand, can make our living in the top 10 with guys with the admissions scores (well, at least for Hotel) who are wonderful players at 21 but won't be developing much more if at all. They are leveraging their hockey skill to get an education to avoid going back to Ma and Pa Kettle's dirt farm in Manitoba, and hey, that's what we can provide.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2017 11:31AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.108.---)
Date: November 27, 2017 12:50PM

Trotsky
Dafatone

Perhaps this is the royal road for us competing nationally perennially. We will never get the true blue chippers who go to Minnesota and North Dakota because, now how can I put this delicately?, because they're rock stupid.

But those guys are also just using the NC$$ as a quick stop before moving on to become inevitable NHL stars. They are being drafted by the NHL for who they will be at 25. Right now they may be kinda a mess.

We, on the other hand, can make our living in the top 10 with guys with the admissions scores (well, at least for Hotel) who are wonderful players at 21 but won't be developing much more if at all. They are leveraging their hockey skill to get an education to avoid going back to Ma and Pa Kettle's dirt farm in Manitoba, and hey, that's what we can provide.

Basically got Qpac to the national championship a few years back.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2017 01:31PM

Trotsky
Similar for west coast schools with Department of Unclassified Studies. "DUHHHHHHS..."

Back in the day, Cornell had a Division of Unclassified Students, a sort of limbo "designed to assist the poten­tially able student whose basic interests and aptitudes lie outside the course in which he originally enrolled." I know, I spent a semester as an "unclassified" student between Architecture and Arts and Sciences. BTW, it all ended well, as I graduated as an applied math major, and eventually got a PhD, ironically through the College of Architecture, Art and Planning. And, I got to see two national championship hockey teams!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2017 04:07PM

Trotsky
margolism
Is the Eng school up for building a hyperloop between Ithaca and Powell River, British Columbia?

No, but Elon Musk might.

Anyone know if he's a hockey fan?:-D

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: November 27, 2017 04:54PM

margolism

I mean...that's something I always pointed out w.r.t. Harvard. Throughout much of the first 10-15 years of fandom, Harvard constantly was praised for all the blue-chip talent they could attract, and often had 7-9 draftees on their roster in an era where college draftees were somewhat rarer than they are today. Our teams in the early-Schafer era pretty much had their way with them featuring maybe 2-4 draftees. I quickly learned to discount the talk of "number of NHL draftees" data when doing a tale-of-the-tape comparison. Sure, talent is talent, but so is the way you put it to use.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: November 27, 2017 05:00PM

scoop85

3. As I've said a few times this season, what separates this team from most recent CU teams is balance among all the lines. Every line is now a threat to score, and that puts a lot of pressure on the other team's defense.

So much this. I looked at the lines prior to the SLU game and was floored at the legitimate threats throughout the lineup. This is a huge difference compared to having the feeling that we have 1 scoring line, 2 mucker/checking lines, and then that one line whose job is to just give the others a breather and rely on the top D pairing.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2017 09:35PM by RichH.

Date: November 27, 2017 06:05PM

Nice feature on Morgan Barron posted today on the Rangers' SBNation blog, Blueshirt Banter

Date: November 27, 2017 06:25PM

Trotsky
billhoward

I'm quite familiar with CGS, since I have a kid who went there (and who currently makes almost double what I was last making before I retired). It's true that students call it Crayons, etc., but the model is very good, and I wish other schools -- including Cornell -- had something like it. It's not at all like the Departments of Unclassified Studies (DUS) one finds on the west coast, nor is it like "University Colleges" (UC's) one sometimes find elsewhere. DUS are simply places for students who haven't decided on a major yet. UC's are where incoming students matriculate during their first two years even though they already know their majors, and in many cases have already been accepted into their majors. UC's provide varying degrees of support (advising, counseling, study halls, etc.) to help with the transition to college. But otherwise, both DUS and UC's are similar in curriculum. Typically their students spend most of their time fulfilling general education requirements; but the requirements are so broad, vague, and varied that there's no rhyme nor reason unique to the DUS or UC. E.g., engineering students are fulfilling their GE with the usual menu of calculus +, physics, etc., while other students never see anything like these subjects. It's common that students have to take vague distribution requirements ("Take two humanities courses and call me in the morning.";). It's not uncommon to select from over 10,000 credit hours of offerings to satisfy a 40-hour GE requirement. In both cases, what and if students learn is a total crap shoot and a clear indication that the school has no idea of what it expects its students to know. (Compare with Columbia's famous freshman curriculum or MIT's we-don't-care-if-you're-majoring-in-linguistics-everyone-here-completes-an-engineering-core approaches).

BU established CGS after WW II. It recognized that the majority of students enrolling under the GI Bill had been away from formal education for several years and, in many cases, had not planned to go to college when they were younger. Now that they were older, more mature, and could afford a college education, they needed help making the transition and getting up to speed for what was then college-level work. CGS did this with the novel approach of stipulating almost all the courses students take during their first two years. They all take the same sequence of required courses, with only one or two electives during the entire time. Furthermore, the courses are team-taught, designed by groups of faculty members with expertise in the field, and coordinated with each other. So, for example, students may be learning about the Enlightenment in the History & Society sequence around the same time as they are learning about Newton's contributions in the Natural Science sequence.

Over time students typically came to enroll in CGS in one of two ways. Some desired this highly structured, "we-actually-do-think-we-know-what-all-college-graduates-should-know" approach. Alternatively -- and probably much more commonly -- BU accepts students who indicate their desired majors, but instead of initially enrolling them immediately in the college housing those majors, BU accepts them into CGS. The decision is based on the student's academic profile: the student is capable of succeeding at BU, but in the judgement of the admissions committee needs more/better preparation, more structure, or both to get the most out of their four years there. And there is no guarantee that CGS students will be accepted into their desired majors as juniors, although the vast majority are. No doubt, upon learning this some prospective students who have their hearts set on engineering, film & television, business, or other majors decide to go elsewhere. But those who stay go into CGS and then transfer to their desired major in their junior year.

In a sense the distinction between CGS students and others is somewhat moot. Students may be directly admitted to a particular major, but in most cases during their first two years these students take at most 1-2 courses in that major. Most of the rest of their time is spent satisfying GE requirements.

When my wife and I first heard that our son had been admitted to CGS instead of his desired major we thought, "What is this. Some sort of booby prize?" But as we learned more about CGS, we came to agree with BU's decision. Knowing our son, we both said this was exactly what he needed: take the decision-making and uncertainty out of his hands, make him learn what older, wiser people believe he needs to know, and do so in a structured, well thought-out way. But we didn't stop there. We spoke with members of the faculty in the department our son wanted, and what we frequently heard was that CGS students are, if anything, better prepared and do better than students admitted to the department directly from high school. We also spoke with the dean of CGS: she was very proud of the program but admitted that math is the one subject that CGS has not figured out how to teach in a rigorous, high-level way to a student body with interests and aptitudes spanning all of BU's undergraduate offerings. So math is the one subject in which CGS students vary during their first two years. But still, and despite this, the fact that, e.g., future engineering students and history majors sit together and take the same courses in natural science and in history and society is pretty impressive -- and unlike what one sees at the vast majority of universities around the country.

When I compare this to my own education at Cornell, I'm a bit envious. My education in engineering was excellent, although even when I was still working as an engineer I never used most of what I studied. I'm also quite certain that this engineering education was much stronger than at the vast majority of universities in the world. Consider:
  • Once at Cornell I audited a business economics course, and after the first prelim a student stood up and yelled at the professor, "In all my undergraduate years at Yale, I never had to work this hard!" My group of friends from engineering just smiled, since although this was a challenging course it was nothing like what we were used to.
  • About 15-20 years later, I was having dinner with some engineering professors from Stanford; when I told them I was a Cornell engineer, they said, "That's brutal. We regularly have about a dozen students tranferring here because the work at Cornell was too much."
  • A few years earlier I had been browsing in the bookstore at UC Berkely, and I saw the textbook that had been used in the required statistics course at Cornell my junior year; except, Berkeley was using the text for its statistics PhD program.
I don't mean to point out just that Cornell was rigorous and hard. E.g., I do believe that those of us who learned even 50% of what that statistics course covered still learned more than students who learned 80% of the less rigorous undergraduate statistics courses commonly taught elsewhere.

But my broader education was seriously wanting. Besides freshman English, I was never required to take any humanities, any history, any social science, any arts, or what have you. One thing Cornell did teach me was how to learn and how to be confident in my ability to learn, no matter what the subject. So I have done considerable learning in these subjects since graduating Cornell. Still, I didn't learn to speak Spanish until I lived in South America, and I tried to learn French by enrolling in an extension course at Harvard but never had the time I needed to spend in the language lab.

On a larger scale, the U.S. likes to brag about its system of higher education. Indeed, in Schooling in Capitalist America Bowles and Gintis present data indicating that during the 1930s roughly 5% of all students went on to have some postsecondary education, but by the 1960s this had risen to about 60%. So higher education went from being an elite privilege to a mass phenomenon. If the standards had remained constant, this would indeed be quite an achievement. But we all know this is not the case. In most cases, higher education expanded though a factory model. High school "academic" tracks and "factory colleges" -- especially large state universities -- watered down what a college education used to be. Today, even by the time they graduate, undergraduates at third- and even some second-tier universities never even see the material, master the skills, or acquire the knowledge that highly selective universities still routinely require during freshman year. Outside the most elite universities, the rest have dealt with this via a wink and a nod, coupled with grade inflation and reliance on student evaluations to keep in line any professors who might otherwise react to this scandal. AFAIK, CGS at BU is one of the all too few examples of an attempt to address this issue in a serious way.

Date: November 27, 2017 09:31PM

when you see cornell is top 5 in scoring without any player near the top you know we are getting production from multiple players and that is always a good thing

Date: November 27, 2017 11:21PM

upprdeck
when you see cornell is top 5 in scoring without any player near the top you know we are getting production from multiple players and that is always a good thing

To get away from expressing my admiration for BU's CGS program, here's another thought. Wouldn't it be terrific if for each game there were a bar chart showing points (goals & assists) scored for and against each line? Typically the lines would be numbered 1-4, with the graph split so that points to the right of center are scored by the team and points to the left are scored against the team.

Then, as the season progresses, there could be an aggregate plot, independent of which individuals are playing on which line. For each team one could easily see how balanced the scoring has been: assuming Line 1 is at the top, an inverted pyramid indicates heavy reliance on Lines 1 & 2, while something more akin to a rectangle indicates balanced scoring.

Date: November 27, 2017 11:24PM

The lines vary but it is a nice idea.

Date: November 27, 2017 11:31PM

Trotsky

This post is pretty elitist. A lot of players choose scholarship schools over Ivies for financial reasons. And a lot of players leave school early for financial reasons too. Most of all, very few if any players are coming to Cornell to "avoid going back to Ma and Pa Kettle's dirt farm in Manitoba"--not really sure where you got that impression.

And regarding what several posters have said about the advantages of drafted players: the BUs, BCs, North Dakotas, Minnesotas, and Michigans of the world, i.e. the perennial powers, are stocked with draftees. Yes, players are drafted in large part based on potential, but that potential is often realized. Think back to the best Cornell players over its history. Dryden, Nieuwendyk, Ratushny, LeNeveu, Murray, Moulson, Riley Nash, Greening, Joakim Ryan, Ferlin...all draft picks. The other ECAC teams too have seen a disproportionate number of their best players drafted. Vesey, Gostisbehere, nearly all of Harvard's offense last year. Sure, you can end up with a Scrivens or Vanderlaan who is a top-tier player without having been drafted, but on average you are going to be more successful the more draft picks you have.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2017 01:03AM by BearLover.

Date: November 27, 2017 11:36PM

BearLover
This post is pretty elitist.
It's part of my charm.

Date: November 28, 2017 01:11AM

Trotsky
Be nice to know how much ice time for each line, too. Maybe a half-dozen high-res cameras in the rafters and some machine learning could do the calculations unaided. Could also calculate optimal trajectories for fish at Harvard game.

Date: November 28, 2017 01:25AM

Trotsky

I know. At its root it only assumes that there are 4 lines, or maybe only 3. The main point is to have a graphical display of the distribution of scoring, for and against. This could be on a per-game basis, monthly, cumulative, trending, etc.

A second, weaker assumption is that the lines are ordered, so that the starting line is the first line, the next one is the second line, etc. Alternatively, one could order them after a game by playing time. This still requires some consistency. Injuries, match-ups, and a coach making mid-game adjustments by changing the lines complicate things.

At the very least, one might have something like a team Gini coefficient, using individual players as the units of analysis, to measure a team's scoring balance. A coefficient of 0 indicates scoring is equally distributed among the players; a coefficient of 1 indicates one player is doing all the team's scoring.

It would be really interesting, for example, to plot a team's winning % against its coefficients over time. Or, to plot seasonal final standings against the coefficients. If, for example, balanced scoring improves chances of winning, as some of us have argued, then one should see a negative slope when winning % is plotted against team Gini coefficient.

Date: November 28, 2017 01:26AM

billhoward
Trotsky
Be nice to know how much ice time for each line, too. Maybe a half-dozen high-res cameras in the rafters and some machine learning could do the calculations unaided. Could also calculate optimal trajectories for fish at Harvard game.

Normalize the scoring measure by dividing by ice time: scoring per minute.

Date: November 28, 2017 01:28AM

And to think this all used to be figured out by a guy in the pressbox named Red with a plug of tobacco in his cheek.

Re: Red Hot Hockey, 11/25/17 - what price victory?
Date: November 28, 2017 01:37AM

If you tally up the tickets you bought to attend all six Red Hot Hockey games for yourself, your family, friends you got tickets for who backed out last minute, bridge and tunnel tolls, parking, dining, drinks before and after, refreshments ($12 for Bud Light?) in that most famous arena, we were closing in on two grand by the time Galadja and the defense finally secured a W for the team and the fans. It was sweet.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2017 06:42AM

Trotsky
BearLover
It's part of my charm.

He opened Pandora's box.

Date: November 28, 2017 07:18AM

Trotsky
BearLover
It's part of my charm.
As a figure of speech, dirt farm in Manitoba had a certain Leona Helmsley-esque charm.

Date: November 28, 2017 08:12AM

billhoward
If you tally up the tickets you bought to attend all six Red Hot Hockey games for yourself, your family, friends you got tickets for who backed out last minute, bridge and tunnel tolls, parking, dining, drinks before and after, refreshments ($12 for Bud Light?) in that most famous arena, we were closing in on two grand by the time Galadja and the defense finally secured a W for the team and the fans. It was sweet.

And worth every penny. Plus, you got to learn which friends to exclude from future block purchases (at least if they backed out without paying).

But you misspelled "Galajda," so you owe me another $2,000.

- Steve Worona

Date: November 28, 2017 08:37AM

Beeeej
billhoward

And worth every penny. Plus, you got to learn which friends to exclude from future block purchases (at least if they backed out without paying).

At least when the Kazakhstan (another word with few correct spellings) rifle team won an international shooting match in Kuwait, I wasn't the one who pulled the Borat version of the Kazakh national anthem off the Web and played it at the medal ceremony. [www.bbc.com]

>>> Kazakhstan greatest country in the world.
All other countries are run by little girls.
Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium.
Other countries have inferior potassium.

Kazakhstan industry best in the world.
We invented toffee and trouser belt.
Kazakhstan’s prostitutes cleanest in the region.
Except of course Turkmenistan’s

Date: November 28, 2017 08:41AM

billhoward
Beeeej
billhoward

At least when the Kazakhstan (another word with few correct spellings) rifle team won an international shooting match in Kuwait, I wasn't the one who pulled the Borat version of the Kazakh national anthem off the Web and played it at the medal ceremony. [www.bbc.com]

>>> Kazakhstan greatest country in the world.
All other countries are run by little girls.
Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium.
Other countries have inferior potassium.

Kazakhstan industry best in the world.
We invented toffee and trouser belt.
Kazakhstan’s prostitutes cleanest in the region.
Except of course Turkmenistan’s

That'll be another $2,000 for using an absurdly gratuitous non-sequitur in the hopes it would seem like a related gag.

Make the check out to "Bee3eej."

- Steve Worona

Date: November 28, 2017 09:41AM

This is going to cost more than rent-to-own.

Date: November 28, 2017 10:09AM

billhoward
This is going to cost more than rent-to-own.
Oh, I think you've been owned already...

Date: November 28, 2017 10:14AM

billhoward
Trotsky
BearLover
It's part of my charm.
As a figure of speech, dirt farm in Manitoba had a certain Leona Helmsley-esque charm.
I come from a long line of oily Bohunk dirt farmers. Any disparagement inferred is in the mind of the reader.

Still, it is a fate that a young man might want to avoid.

"I haven't even told my father about the scholarship I didn't get. I'm gonna end up working in a lumberyard the rest of my life."

"What's wrong with lumber? I own two lumberyards."

"I notice you don't spend too much time there."

Date: November 30, 2017 11:34AM

Seriously, Nate?!

[www.uscho.com]

Cornell won its first ever Red Hot Hockey matchup with Boston University at Madison Square Garden Saturday, beating the Terriers 4-3. The Big Red had been 0-2-3 against BU in the bi-annual matchup.

Does he seriously not know that he could click elsewhere on the website for which he's writing his column to find these things out? Or, y'know, check the comments on his last column from a week ago that induced him to edit the column to correct it?!

- Steve Worona

Date: November 30, 2017 11:48AM

Beeeej
Seriously, Nate?!

[www.uscho.com]

Cornell won its first ever Red Hot Hockey matchup with Boston University at Madison Square Garden Saturday, beating the Terriers 4-3. The Big Red had been 0-2-3 against BU in the bi-annual matchup.

Does he seriously not know that he could click elsewhere on the website for which he's writing his column to find these things out? Or, y'know, check the comments on his last column from a week ago that induced him to edit the column to correct it?!
Maybe he's listing records the way soccer fans do, W-T-L.

To be fair it makes more sense.

29-0-0 works either way.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 11:49AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Swampy (---.163.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: November 30, 2017 02:45PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Seriously, Nate?!

[www.uscho.com]

29-0-0 works either way.

+1

Date: November 30, 2017 02:56PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Seriously, Nate?!

[www.uscho.com]

29-0-0 works either way.

If it weren't a record of hockey results instead of soccer, or if USCHO consistently used that style throughout, it would certainly make more sense. But it is, and they don't.

- Steve Worona

Date: November 30, 2017 10:57PM

Beeeej
Seriously, Nate?!

[www.uscho.com]

The Nate Owen pieces are great for their factual inaccuracies, but as far as USCHO ECAC articles go, I prefer Nathan Fournier's weekly picks. Each game synopsis presents one or two irrelevant facts about each team and then makes a prediction that nearly always has absolutely nothing to do with those facts.

Date: December 01, 2017 11:46AM

BearLover
Nathan Fournier's weekly picks. Each game synopsis presents one or two irrelevant facts about each team and then makes a prediction that nearly always has absolutely nothing to do with those facts.

Also includes the following middle school error:

The Bears are coming off a week and half break while Union had a successful weekend in North Dakota. This could be a trap game for the Dutchmen as Brown will be chomping at the bit to get back on the ice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 11:46AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: December 01, 2017 04:11PM

Trotsky

that is not a middle school error; almost nobody knows that phrase because it is (unless you are part of the horsey set) archaic usage

Date: December 01, 2017 05:04PM

ugarte
Trotsky

that is not a middle school error; almost nobody knows that phrase because it is (unless you are part of the horsey set) archaic usage

As words wend to and fro through the centuries, they can erroneously lurch the meaning of their kith, by dint of trends that defy the hue and cry of the crowd.

I merely don't wish to give those terms short shrift and cast them into umbrage.

tl; dr: It's fucking champing, and not even listed as archaic.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 05:18PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 01, 2017 07:13PM

Trotsky
ugarte
Trotsky

As words wend to and fro through the centuries, they can erroneously lurch the meaning of their kith, by dint of trends that defy the hue and cry of the crowd.

I merely don't wish to give those terms short shrift and cast them into umbrage.

tl; dr: It's fucking champing, and not even listed as archaic.

Unless the original author really meant "chomping." Yum, what a bit of a tasty morsel that was.

Date: December 01, 2017 09:13PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login