Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Niagara @ Cornell 11/21/17

Posted by Swampy 
Niagara @ Cornell 11/21/17
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2017 10:01PM

In The Cornell Daily Sun regarding Saturday's loss to Clarkson:
Mike Schafer
The old guys tonight need a kick in the ass from how they played ... They’re the ones that [have to] lead the young guys to show how upset they are with regards to losing that kind of game on our home ice.

Tuesday we'll see how big of kick in the ass Mike has given them.

Re: Niagara @ Cornell 11/21/17
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2017 12:38AM

Swampy
Mike Schafer
The old guys tonight need a kick in the ass from how they played ... They’re the ones that [have to] lead the young guys to show how upset they are with regards to losing that kind of game on our home ice.
Using the media to deliver a message.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: November 20, 2017 05:56PM

Note that although this game is on ESPN3, it's still going to be on ILN, as well as TSN GO.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2017 09:16PM

who is broadcasting the game if no radio?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: November 21, 2017 07:12AM

upprdeck
who is broadcasting the game if no radio?

No radio, Jason and Tony are doing the internet broadcasts. Although TV audio doesn't make good radio, I don't know why they couldn't do it. Maybe ESPN doesn't allow it?

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 21, 2017 11:06AM

i agree. just seems strange to throw the radio market under the bus.

this game will tell us a lot.. Niagara is not bad. lose tonight and you are staring at a BU game to suddenly go from top of the world to losing 3 in a row.

winning the OC games makes all the difference in margin of error to get into the NCAA.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2017 12:27PM

upprdeck
this game will tell us a lot.. Niagara is not bad.
They're 6-3-1, including getting hammered 5-1 by both Colgate and Union and beating RPI 4-3 in overtime.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 21, 2017 02:39PM

and also 25th in PWR

they were tied with Colgate until late in the 2nd and shots were even
they dominated RPI despite the score
they are better than Canisius who tied Colgate

they may well win the Atlantic.. There will be no energy in the bldg with no kids and many townies missing..

its a game we should win by 2+ if we play well.

Date: November 21, 2017 02:51PM

Any idea how long Donaldson is out? Also: is Cairns a healthy scratch -- when Smith went down v Harvard I got a very uncomfortable sense of deja vu.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: November 21, 2017 05:24PM

Trotsky
Any idea how long Donaldson is out? Also: is Cairns a healthy scratch -- when Smith went down v Harvard I got a very uncomfortable sense of deja vu.

Cairns is in the lineup tonight, but Starrett is out.

Posted by: Will (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: November 21, 2017 05:30PM

Something I just discovered about Niagara: their volunteer goalie coach is Ian Burt '01 (now Dr. Ian Burt, PhD, CPA): [www.niagara.edu]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2017 06:31PM

Will
Something I just discovered about Niagara: their volunteer goalie coach is Ian Burt '01 (now Dr. Ian Burt, PhD, CPA): [www.niagara.edu]
That is great. :-)

Date: November 21, 2017 06:43PM

Still no Stewart. Concussions protocols are mysterious things.

Date: November 21, 2017 06:53PM

Haiskenen out surprises me a bit. He seems to have been very steady.

Date: November 21, 2017 07:01PM

ESPN stream: [www.espn.com]

ILDN stream: [www.ivyleaguenetwork.com]

Date: November 21, 2017 07:04PM

ILDN currently has 3 simultaneous asynchronous feeds: Jason's pre-recorded blurb, the warmups, and Arthur's live lineups.

It's Cubist Coverage, if you have three sets of sensory organs and are unstuck in time.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2017 07:04PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2017 07:31PM

Swampy
Mike Schafer

So far not big enough

Posted by: Iceberg (---.buffalo.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2017 07:32PM

Will

Yep, it seems like he teaches some of the more introductory accounting courses there. It's actually a bit of dirty secret that there's a starting to be a lack of college-level accounting instructors since many of the current ones are approaching retirement. Unfortunately many folks who study accounting opt to go into the workforce and stay there, although that's for another discussion I guess.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2017 07:34PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2017 08:25PM

Unbelievably sloppy play by Cornell. This will go down as an embarrassing loss if they don't turn things around in the third.

Date: November 21, 2017 08:34PM

I agree. This is a bad job so far by nearly everyone in Carnelian. Barron, Angello, Vanderlaan, Bauld, and Tschantz look good. Everybody else is El-Stinko. This is Kaldis' worst game ever.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 21, 2017 09:20PM

Hey what about that third period you Gloomy Gusses.

Amazing pressure in the third period and Niagara's goalie sure looks like he's being coached by Ian Burt. (sorry sorry)

Date: November 21, 2017 09:25PM

ugarte

Amazing pressure in the third period and Niagara's goalie sure looks like he's being coached by Ian Burt. (sorry sorry)

Well, your signature does say “Jokes and stuff”

Date: November 21, 2017 09:35PM

scoop85
ugarte

well yeah but i shouldn't judge burt by the only time i saw him play: against Yale in this horror show.

Date: November 21, 2017 09:48PM

ugarte
scoop85
ugarte

well yeah but i shouldn't judge burt by the only time i saw him play: against Yale in this horror show.

That is one ugly box score

Date: November 21, 2017 09:52PM

ugarte

I maintain that this was a very poor showing by Cornell, pretty much down to the final whistle. Sure, some great individual efforts and a few strong shifts in the third period, but crappy breakouts, failed zone clears, and missed passes galore. And a too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty with under 2:30 to go? Schafer is not happy about how they played tonight, I can promise you that.

Exhilarating comeback and being 8-1 rules, but those're about the only positives you can draw from this game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2017 09:53PM by BearLover.

Date: November 21, 2017 10:03PM

BearLover
ugarte

I maintain that this was a very poor showing by Cornell, pretty much down to the final whistle. Sure, some great individual efforts and a few strong shifts in the third period, but crappy breakouts, failed zone clears, and missed passes galore. And a too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty with under 2:30 to go? Schafer is not happy about how they played tonight, I can promise you that.

Exhilarating comeback and being 8-1 rules, but those're about the only positives you can draw from this game.

Certainly not a great performance, especially in the defensive zone. Numerous giveaways, including many by typically reliable players. But it was a much needed win given how week our OOC schedule is.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.buffalo.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2017 10:05PM

It doesn't matter that BU has not played all that great this season; if this is the Cornell team that shows up on Saturday, it will be a long night.

Date: November 21, 2017 10:08PM

BearLover
Oh, I'll draw a few more.

1. We can score in bunches. We don't always but having the capacity to score is something new and different.

2. Tschantz is back and healthy.

3. Mullin is a keeper.

4. Speed kills. This is our fastest squad since the mid 80s.

5. We didn't shoot ourselves with dumb penalties. Yes, Too Many Men was awful in timing, but that can happen to anybody. We weren't letting guys streak by and then hauling them down or getting too handsy in the corners.

6. We beat a pretty good team that was playing out of their minds on full adrenaline.

7. We came back -- we don't quit.

Date: November 21, 2017 10:13PM

Trotsky
BearLover

1. We can score in bunches. We don't always but having the capacity to score is something new and different.

2. Tschantz is back and healthy.

3. Mullin is a keeper.

5. We didn't shoot ourselves with dumb penalties. Yes, Too Many Men was awful in timing, but that can happen to anybody. We weren't letting guys streak by and then hauling them down or getting too handsy in the corners.

6. We beat a pretty good team that was playing out of their minds on full adrenaline.

7. We came back -- we don't quit.
To be clear, I know it was sloppy - it was even sloppy in the third while we were dominating, but the kids were *working*. Niagara's defense looks like a bunch of kids playing soccer; terrible positioning and two of the goals were by guys who were allowed, untouched, to wait for a screen and then snipe top shelf.But it was still a great comeback.

Date: November 21, 2017 10:24PM

the first 3 niagara goals combined might have been 2 ft of shots, thats on us. 2 were because of just awful clear decisions, that last one was just a dumb play around the boards. Those type of plays are what happens with young teams. but for the 3rd time this year we have come back from2 down, thats always a good sign.

if Angello doesnt rush the empty net shot we win 6-4 with a 5 goal 3rd.. you dont get many of those.

still came away lucky that about 6-7 min of solid play was enough to win. we spent way too much time not only chasing but totally confused on who to chase. we need to play 2 periods a game that. those last 2 min with the goalie pulled was not fun to watch

Date: November 21, 2017 10:26PM

Trotsky
BearLover

The team is faster, but is it fast enough? Still has trouble with aggressive forechecks, still fails to establish its own forecheck, still struggles to gain the zone (we continue to dump the puck in rather than carry the puck in the majority of the time, seemingly a worse ratio than the teams we play against). I think the cycling and passing have been better this season (though not tonight).

It appeared Cornell was drunk for most of tonight's game, though the cameraman also seemed drunk.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2017 10:27PM by BearLover.

Posted by: redliner (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2017 10:58PM

BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover

The team is faster, but is it fast enough? Still has trouble with aggressive forechecks, still fails to establish its own forecheck, still struggles to gain the zone (we continue to dump the puck in rather than carry the puck in the majority of the time, seemingly a worse ratio than the teams we play against). I think the cycling and passing have been better this season (though not tonight).

It appeared Cornell was drunk for most of tonight's game, though the cameraman also seemed drunk.

We should keep in mind that Niagara was coming off a bye week, while Cornell only had three days of rest. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the players were looking ahead to the BU game this Saturday. In the past, we would have lost this game. The team managed to grind out a win. Kudos to them.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2017 11:22PM

Truth in publishing: Maybe this is what got the team moving when it fell behind 4-2 to the No. 60 [divide by 2] 30 team (of 60) in RPI?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2017 10:52AM by billhoward.

Date: November 22, 2017 01:09AM

redliner
BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover

We should keep in mind that Niagara was coming off a bye week, while Cornell only had three days of rest. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the players were looking ahead to the BU game this Saturday. In the past, we would have lost this game. The team managed to grind out a win. Kudos to them.
The first point is definitely fair and something I should have considered. I doubt the second one point, though--I think the Clarkson loss team brought this team back to earth and I don't think many of Schafer's teams find themselves looking past an opponent.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-217-7.myvzw.com)
Date: November 22, 2017 09:40AM

Another thing to consider is that we play Niagara often. It'd be best if our team is amped for every game, but you have to figure that this matchup is a bigger deal for them than it is for us. Combine that with short rest, a couple bad periods, and the fact that Niagara really isn't a bad team (middle of the pack in pairwise and RPI) and it's not like a tough matchup with them is the end of the world.

Date: November 22, 2017 09:46AM

Dafatone
it's not like a tough matchup with them is the end of the world.
It's not but for much of the game we looked bad. We weren't just out of sync, we were being outworked, outhustled, outwitted. It wasn't good.

One thing did occur to me: for a young team maybe the Tuesday took them out of their regime. Athletes are creatures of habit and until now all the games have been weekend pairs. A Tuesday start means everything is "off" -- workouts, sleep patterns, study patterns. They are young. It might add up.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 09:48AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 22, 2017 09:54AM

billhoward
Truth in publishing: Maybe this is what got the team moving when it fell behind 4-2 to the No. 60 team (of 60) in RPI?
Your browser spelled Bentley really wrong.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 22, 2017 09:59AM

Trotsky
Dafatone
it's not like a tough matchup with them is the end of the world.
It's not but for much of the game we looked bad. We weren't just out of sync, we were being outworked, outhustled, outwitted. It wasn't good.

One thing did occur to me: for a young team maybe the Tuesday took them out of their regime. Athletes are creatures of habit and until now all the games have been weekend pairs. A Tuesday start means everything is "off" -- workouts, sleep patterns, study patterns. They are young. It might add up.
I'm trying not to overthink it. It was a sloppy game against a team that is pretty good in the offensive zone. They move the puck, they go to the net, Galajda wasn't *on*, We had a couple of very bad clears (in particular the attempt on the 4th goal made me scream NO! at my monitor) and they scored a few early because of it. But Niagara can't play positional defense for shit and the goalie is extremely meh. When we settled down, we picked them apart.

Date: November 22, 2017 10:02AM

I said Niagara would be tough and it was.. the key was to bring the energy and when we did we dominated for s stretch that won the game. This is the type of OC game we seemed to lose over the last 10 years, many times in the FL tourney and it came back to haunt us.. niagara had pretty good speed and we chased them and got out of position for some easy tap in goals. but when we got on top of them in the 3rd they fell apart pretty quickly. We have a young team and they have to learn that means come to play every shift.

Starrett and Donaldson being out didnt help either. We have plugged in new guys several games which is great for long term but guys still need to learn at game speed how to play with each other.

the PP has gone down a bit, very sluggish the last 3 games but last night was the first time we got very little movement even in getting 1 PP goal.

Date: November 22, 2017 10:06AM

ugarte
I'm trying not to overthink it.
Well there's your problem right there.

Date: November 22, 2017 10:09AM

upprdeck
This is the type of OC game we seemed to lose over the last 10 years, many times in the FL tourney and it came back to haunt us..
That's it exactly -- this felt like a FL game. It had that same let down, "who gives a sh-t?" feeling to it.

Everybody has a stinky night. Count ourselves lucky we won't pay for it in PWR and hope it doesn't happen again.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2017 11:45AM

Dafatone
Another thing to consider is that we play Niagara often. It'd be best if our team is amped for every game, but you have to figure that this matchup is a bigger deal for them than it is for us. Combine that with short rest, a couple bad periods, and the fact that Niagara really isn't a bad team (middle of the pack in pairwise and RPI) and it's not like a tough matchup with them is the end of the world.

Niagara impressed me. They played with conviction, ran a nice forecheck and have some skilled players. Their defense and goaltending ultimately let them down last night, but they should win a lot of games in Atlantic Hockey, which continues to improve as a conference.

If Niagara keeps this up their new coach Jason Lammers will be a hot name for any open jobs at a higher profile program.

Date: November 22, 2017 12:48PM

Iceberg
It doesn't matter that BU has not played all that great this season; if this is the Cornell team that shows up on Saturday, it will be a long night.
I'd guess BU is a slight favorite.

Date: November 22, 2017 01:04PM

We're the favorite if 2018 matters. They're the favorite if MSG matters.

Date: November 22, 2017 01:35PM

Trotsky
They're the favorite if MSG matters.
They're also the favorite if you look at things that actually matter, like the talent on each team...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 01:47PM by BearLover.

Date: November 22, 2017 03:06PM

BearLover
Trotsky
They're also the favorite if you look at things that actually matter, like the talent on each team...
FFS. You must have been so disappointed when we won last night.

Date: November 22, 2017 03:29PM

Trotsky
BearLover
Trotsky
???

Am I being a hater by saying Cornell doesn't have the talent of a team with 13 draft picks, three of whom are first-rounders? I root for Cornell as hard as anybody but it helps to be realistic: BU has better talent than Cornell and possibly has better talent than any team in the country. That's what's working in their favor. 2018 results thus far are what's working in Cornell's favor, as you said. Given the small sample and the fact Cornell hasn't yet outplayed a good team, I would guess that, all things considered, Cornell is a slight underdog. There's no shame in being a slight underdog to BU.

Sorry if I came off as rude. But history at MSG matters nil (you probably knew that). The players on a team matter a lot.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 03:31PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-217-16.myvzw.com)
Date: November 22, 2017 05:58PM

Draft picks aren't always the best way to measure talent. Players are drafted on potential. Often, undrafted older players will be better, right now, than some younger drafted guy that an NHL team thinks will develop.

Date: November 23, 2017 06:29AM

BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover
Trotsky
???

Am I being a hater by saying Cornell doesn't have the talent of a team with 13 draft picks, three of whom are first-rounders? I root for Cornell as hard as anybody but it helps to be realistic: BU has better talent than Cornell and possibly has better talent than any team in the country. That's what's working in their favor. 2018 results thus far are what's working in Cornell's favor, as you said. Given the small sample and the fact Cornell hasn't yet outplayed a good team, I would guess that, all things considered, Cornell is a slight underdog. There's no shame in being a slight underdog to BU.

Sorry if I came off as rude. But history at MSG matters nil (you probably knew that). The players on a team matter a lot.
Sorry. I misjudged your intent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login