Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Clarkson at Cornell 11/18/17

Posted by Beeeej 
Clarkson at Cornell 11/18/17
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2017 10:06AM

As much as last night could've been a classic "trap" game, where we'd have lost to a much weaker team because we were already looking ahead to the strong one we're facing tonight, the boys obviously avoided that problem. Now, then - can we also avoid the Saturday cockiness and false sense of security that might come along with a 7-0-0 record and a 6-1 Friday cakewalk? Clarkson certainly appears to be the real deal, as they put five past Colgate's usually excellent goalie Colton Point last night.

Won't be able to watch or listen to this one live, as we're attending a cousin's performance in "Fiddler on the Roof," but we'll be checking scores at intermission, believe you me...

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2017 10:06AM by Beeeej.

Re: Clarkson at Cornell 11/18/17
Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2017 10:29AM

Beeeej
Clarkson certainly appears to be the real deal, as they put five past Colgate's usually excellent goalie Colton Coltwasnoton Point last night.

FYP

Beeeej
Won't be able to watch or listen to this one live, as we're attending a cousin's performance in "Fiddler on the Roof," but we'll be checking scores at intermission, believe you me...

Bluetooth earpiece ftw.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2017 10:33AM

abmarks
Beeeej

Bluetooth earpiece ftw.

"Sunrise, sunset... sunrise, sunset! Swiftly fly the years, he shoots, he scooooooooooores!!"

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: November 18, 2017 10:36AM

abmarks
Beeeej
Clarkson certainly appears to be the real deal, as they put five past Colgate's usually excellent goalie Colton Coltwasnoton Point last night.

FYP

Beeeej

Bluetooth earpiece ftw.

Apple Watch with CHN App for updates.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 18, 2017 04:03PM

As others have mentioned, the team seems to be firing on all cylinders, and it should be up for tonight.

The one thing that concerns me from last night is the lack of scoring on the PP. When a weak team like SLU gets 12 minutes of penalties, a very good team makes them pay. Clarkson's PP is very good (2 goals last night). We have to be careful to stay out of the box.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 18, 2017 04:19PM

Swampy
As others have mentioned, the team seems to be firing on all cylinders, and it should be up for tonight.

The one thing that concerns me from last night is the lack of scoring on the PP. When a weak team like SLU gets 12 minutes of penalties, a very good team makes them pay. Clarkson's PP is very good (2 goals last night). We have to be careful to stay out of the box.
We had amazing chances on the pp. I think it was purely a fluke we didn't have one or more ppg.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 18, 2017 04:53PM

we moved the puck well enough to get 2-3 PP goals.. effort and execution was solid, puck control was crazy good. just didnt go in.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 18, 2017 08:22PM

Turns out when the questionable calls go against us instead of the other team it's a lot harder to win

Date: November 18, 2017 08:29PM

clarkson a bit quicker.. still would have been nice to bury just one of the 2-3 wide open net shots when it was 2-0 just to get the energy going in the building.. green compounded a horrible clearing pass and 2-0 become 4-0 in 30 secs. 2nd period was pretty even as was the first, Clarkson did a better job of getting the open shots on net where we were in good spots and always seemed to have bodies in the way.

Date: November 18, 2017 09:14PM

The hat for Bauld after the salute was nice.

Date: November 19, 2017 07:10AM

Looks like everybody at the game got drunk and/or doesn't want to talk about it and/or committed suicide.

Maybe for the best. Bring on Niagara.

Posted by: profudge (---.dr05.glvv.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 19, 2017 07:37AM

Clarkson looked very good - And we despite a lot of effort could not hit net on our opportunities and made a few defensive miscues that cost us. The Clarkson power play was very good - hoping we took a few notes from the experience.

We missed Cam, for a first year player his vision of the ice and passing is great!

Hope when we see Clarkson again we are prepared.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2017 10:00AM

profudge
Clarkson looked very good - And we despite a lot of effort could not hit net on our opportunities and made a few defensive miscues that cost us. The Clarkson power play was very good - hoping we took a few notes from the experience.

We missed Cam, for a first year player his vision of the ice and passing is great!

Hope when we see Clarkson again we are prepared.

If we are going to be prepared, we need to learn how to get out of a deep 2 man forecheck. Much like our difficulties with past Yale teams (fortunately they no longer have the quality players to do this), we didn't seem ready to confront this. It's too bad since we have the players to do it and we've shown that we've known the plan before. I don't know why we fell down, but suspect there are multiple reasons.

The SLU game was too easy and some players, inexperience maybe, may have had the impression that it was always going to be like that.

Clarkson was the best team we've faced. Harvard has overall better players, but didn't play as a better team. Maybe the success they had last year gave some of them the impression that it was going to be easy. Maybe the coaching has reverted back toward their mean? Who knows, but if Donato is to show that he's a good coach, they need to show their talent as a team.

This may be a wake-up call, I hope, especially for the younger players. Up to now they have shown extraordinary talent, we just need cohesiveness.

On a good note, I think Anthony Angello is starting to show his talent and determination. In both games this weekend he had flashes of brilliance and seemed to put forth good effort.

We need to show team play against Niagara and go on to beat BU and Miami.

Date: November 19, 2017 10:33AM

Jim Hyla
On a good note, I think Anthony Angello is starting to show his talent and determination. In both games this weekend he had flashes of brilliance and seemed to put forth good effort.
He looks so good. Having him, Barron, Mitch, and Cam when he comes back gives us four outstanding forwards, with Yates, Starrett, and Malott just a step behind.

How badly is Donaldson hurt?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2017 10:33AM by Trotsky.

Date: November 19, 2017 10:41AM

I'd also add that Clarkson has played a tougher schedule. It has played six ranked teams, of which 4 continue to be ranked. Among non-ranked teams in the ECAC, its toughest opponent was Union, which is currently tied with us in second place.

We've played 3 ranked teams, but of these only Clarkson has a current record commensurate with its ranking. Among our non-ranked ECAC opponents, Princeton has the best record @ 3-3-1. If one excludes Cornell from the top 6 teams in the ECAC, Clarkson is the only one we've faced. The others we've faced are all in the bottom 6.

This is not necessarily to say we're overrated. But especially with a team as young as ours, a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2017 01:38PM

Swampy
I'd also add that Clarkson has played a tougher schedule. It has played six ranked teams, of which 4 continue to be ranked. Among non-ranked teams in the ECAC, its toughest opponent was Union, which is currently tied with us in second place.

We've played 3 ranked teams, but of these only Clarkson has a current record commensurate with its ranking. Among our non-ranked ECAC opponents, Princeton has the best record @ 3-3-1. If one excludes Cornell from the top 6 teams in the ECAC, Clarkson is the only one we've faced. The others we've faced are all in the bottom 6.

This is not necessarily to say we're overrated. But especially with a team as young as ours, a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
Yes, it is true that leading up to Clarkson we hadn't played anyone impressive and then we played Clarkson and got smoked. Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, and UAH are all having difficult seasons and against Q, Princeton, and Harvard shots were even and Cornell scored the winning goal with under 7:30 to go. Which is to say, our 7-0 start was probably as much the result of luck and an easy schedule as it was us being a good team.

Which isn't to say we aren't good, but you can't conclude that we're a tournament-caliber team from the first eight games.

Date: November 19, 2017 01:47PM

BearLover
Swampy

Yes, it is true that leading up to Clarkson we hadn't played anyone impressive and then we played Clarkson and got smoked. Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, and UAH are all having difficult seasons and against Q, Princeton, and Harvard shots were even and Cornell scored the winning goal with under 7:30 to go. Which is to say, our 7-0 start was probably as much the result of luck and an easy schedule as it was us being a good team.

Which isn't to say we aren't good, but you can't conclude that we're a tournament-caliber team from the first eight games.

Agreed. Additionally, my point was that we have to play tougher competition to get better as a team.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2017 02:58PM

BU is currently ranked 18. After Clarkson, we will drop to the 8-15 range (guessing), so it should be an even match and our chance for the first win ever against BU at the Garden.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2017 03:37PM

Frankly, I think we got outworked. If we played as hard against Clarkson as we did against Harvard, the result would have been very similar.... A close game with a late goal deciding it...

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2017 03:51PM

Well with 4 more games (all winnable I think) to go, there's still a lot of play left before the Holiday break. It wouldn't surprise me to see Stewart in net on Tuesday and then have Galajda start against BU. It does seem that teams are getting the memo to shoot high on Galadja but it's early in the season and he's playing well as a freshmen in net.

Date: November 19, 2017 04:28PM

is stewart even dressing yet?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: November 19, 2017 04:29PM

I'll agree that Clarkson looked like the Yale teams of five-ish years ago. Fast, aggressive, and a great forecheck. That being said, I thought we played them fairly well. The first period was closer than 2-0 and we had a lot of pressure in the third. The second was pretty ugly.

We probably weren't running the table on the season. Good for the team to face some adversity. We'll see how the rest of the season develops. I hope Donaldson's okay.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2017 04:54PM

upprdeck

No!

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2017 04:54PM

Iceberg
It wouldn't surprise me to see Stewart in net on Tuesday and then have Galajda start against BU.

upprdeck

He wasn't dressed last night.

Posted by: A-19 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2017 09:02PM

i don't know what you guys are talking about. we looked terrible saturday. you're just not going to win a game when you take that many penalties, let up 2 power play goals, and don't ever score on your own power plays. clarkson thoroughly outworked us, and kielly was barely tested, save for the beautiful breakaway shot (angello or fiegl?) in the 2nd that dinged off the post. yes, the reffing was horrible. absolute ghost calls. two of those calls led to power plays that resulted in goals. but we had no goals at all, and barely any quality shots. our breakout was terrible we weren't able to sustain any pressure or consistent flow offensively.

btw maybe we should start all our games late, unannounced. the "townie" section was near-packed by faceoff, but the student sections didn't fill up until the second period

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2017 10:00PM

A-19
...save for the beautiful breakaway shot (angello or fiegl?) in the 2nd that dinged off the post.

That was Fiegl.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: November 20, 2017 04:52PM

A-19
i don't know what you guys are talking about. we looked terrible saturday. you're just not going to win a game when you take that many penalties, let up 2 power play goals, and don't ever score on your own power plays. clarkson thoroughly outworked us, and kielly was barely tested, save for the beautiful breakaway shot (angello or fiegl?) in the 2nd that dinged off the post. yes, the reffing was horrible. absolute ghost calls. two of those calls led to power plays that resulted in goals. but we had no goals at all, and barely any quality shots. our breakout was terrible we weren't able to sustain any pressure or consistent flow offensively.

btw maybe we should start all our games late, unannounced. the "townie" section was near-packed by faceoff, but the student sections didn't fill up until the second period

I think those 2 statements are sort of incompatible. The refs sucked, but blame our guys for too many penalties?

Posted by: A-19 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2017 08:41PM

the reffing was bad, but it wasn't what did us in. if you don't score goals, you don't win. it's not like the game was 4-3 and we can say, yeah, if those ghost penalties weren't called, we woulda won. on top of the ghost calls, we took a bunch of correctly-called, needless penalties.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login