Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

What's the loudest moment you've experienced at Lynah

Posted by Cop at Lynah 
What's the loudest moment you've experienced at Lynah
Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.cupolice.cornell.edu)
Date: November 12, 2017 01:02AM

After the roof got blown off last night, a bunch of us were sitting around reminiscing about other times when Lynah erupted.

My personal favorite is the reaction to the Varteresian/Nickerson brawl

Re: What's the loudest moment you've experienced at Lynah
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (110.5.249.---)
Date: November 12, 2017 01:29AM

The overtime win against Providence in the ECAC quarterfinals in '79.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2017 01:32AM

I vote for tonight, since I was at home watching on ILDN and had fallen asleep at the end of the second, only to be awoken by the call of the game winner.

Posted by: rmandel (207.237.5.---)
Date: November 12, 2017 06:26AM

Providence quarterfinal ‘79.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 06:27AM by rmandel.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2017 08:59AM

The win over Harvard in December 1983. That’s the Schafer broken stick game when we came back from 4-0 down agains the #1 ranked Crimson

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2017 09:56AM

March 6, 1979..... No others are even close..

Roy Ives said it best when he said it was "pandemonium".

I think that was the wildest because the comeback made it feel like it was building up, just waiting for the moment when the (inevitable in our minds) tying/winning goals were scored.

When they happened, it was like a champagne bottle being uncorked, it burst..... Pretty special.... Anybody who was there willing to disagree?

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 12, 2017 11:13AM

"We want Weder"

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.lightspeed.livnmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 12, 2017 01:23PM

A few moments come to mind for me...

Both 2OT game winners vs Clarkson in 2006 ECAC QFs (Sawada’s, Moulson’s GWGs)

Michael Kennedy’s GWG vs Harvard 11/10/06 with 1:33 remaining

Lauriane Rougeau’s NCAA QF GWG vs B.U. with 0:10 left in 3OT to win 8-7 in a game loaded with Olympians. (3/10/12)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 01:30PM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (98.159.212.---)
Date: November 12, 2017 01:57PM

February 3, 1962

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2017 02:01PM

Providence 1979.

As great as the fans have been when at their wild best in the recent past, nothing compares to the "old days." The glass was lower and the rink configuration was different -- the masses of people standing at the rail helped fuel the impression that Lynah was small but packed with fans and a vicious place to play. It was louder, too, not necessarily because the fans were noisier but because of different acoustics.

I also think the crowd was more raucous because the ushers did not shut it down quite the way they have done recently. No one would dream of bringing a 6+ foot phallus into the rink and throwing it on the ice. It would probably be considered politically incorrect to have the Karl Habib fan club dressed in their Arab garb in the first row behind the goal at the closed end of the rink at every game. And those poor chickens....I am not an expert on poultry but I imagine that had to be a somewhat traumatic experience.

Posted by: Weder (209.5.232.---)
Date: November 12, 2017 02:27PM

ugarte
"We want Weder"

Same.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2017 05:54PM

Exactly 22 years before: November 11, 1995. When Schafer became coach, Cornell had gone 0-17-3 the prior 10 years in RS games against Harvard. Beating them felt as distant as getting back to the Frozen Four feels now. The timbers shook that night. And they weren't reinforced yet.

Fun trivia: last night I was wearing the sweater Chartrand wore when he scored the hat trick in that game.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 02:32PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 13, 2017 09:31PM

I apparently said this in 2002:

The most beautiful goal off a faceoff that I've ever seen at Lynah was from a face-off on the student side. Nov. 8, 1997, we were down 3-1 to Brown with 6:20 left in the game. Moynihan scored to make it 3-2 with 4:01 left, then during a stoppage with 1:25 left, Schafer pulled Elliott for the face-off in the Brown end on the Section B side. In a play that lasted literally three seconds from face-off to goal, Vinnie Auger won the face-off, and while the five other Big Red players got their sticks around the Brown sticks and held them in place as well as they could, Jason Dailey took the puck, skated a lovely little S-curve around them all and put the puck over Jeff Holowaty's shoulder to tie it at 3-3.

The rest is history, of course; Kyle Knopp scored the go-ahead with 1:02 left, and Brown pulled Holowaty, but to no avail. You don't see both teams pull their goalie in one game very often.

I don't ever remember the Faithful being louder in my fifteen years watching games there.

Now that it's been thirty years, I would have to say that this Saturday night's game-winner came pretty damn close.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2017 10:46PM

Beeeej

The most beautiful goal off a faceoff that I've ever seen at Lynah was from a face-off on the student side. Nov. 8, 1997, <SNIP>

Now that it's been thirty years, I would have to say that this Saturday night's game-winner came pretty damn close.

Looks like you may have misspelled "twenty." :)

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2017 11:40PM

The crowd from McRae's goal until the stick salute on Saturday night was the loudest I've heard Lynah over the course of a few minutes--though there have been other nights where the crowd was louder over the course of the game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 12:04AM by BearLover.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2017 12:12AM

andyw2100
Beeeej

The most beautiful goal off a faceoff that I've ever seen at Lynah was from a face-off on the student side. Nov. 8, 1997, <SNIP>

Allow me to defend Beeeej. The "thirty" modifies the last sentence of his ancient post: "in my fifteen years watching games there." Now, it has been thirty years.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: November 14, 2017 07:38AM

Hard for me to say what's the loudest, but this game has to be at or near the top.

Now, as per my signature, if we could only carry it on the road.

Or even to further home games.

Date: November 14, 2017 07:58AM

BearLover
The crowd from McRae's goal until the stick salute on Saturday night was the loudest I've heard Lynah over the course of a few minutes--though there have been other nights where the crowd was louder over the course of the game.

Not to pick on BearLover, because just about everybody seems to be doing it - and I do understand the inclination because we once had two marvelous players with a similar sounding surname, even though that was over a decade ago. Could we please honor Alec McCrea's magnificent achievements this past weekend and the previous two seasons by spelling his name right??

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 07:59AM by Beeeej.

Date: November 14, 2017 08:01AM

RichH
andyw2100
Beeeej

Allow me to defend Beeeej. The "thirty" modifies the last sentence of his ancient post: "in my fifteen years watching games there." Now, it has been thirty years.

Yeah, I didn't think it was that difficult to understand if one, y'know, read the post.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2017 09:09AM

Beeeej

The most beautiful goal off a faceoff that I've ever seen at Lynah was from a face-off on the student side. Nov. 8, 1997, we were down 3-1 ...

This is the game I think of when I think of loud. (The “Weder” Colgate Series is up there, too.) I was in the visitor Section O (“sucks!”) for the game and had a row of Brown students in front of me who, when leading, had been giving the business to Cornell fans sitting nearby, me included. How delicious it was when the table was turned.

Bonus that the comeback was captured and nicely mixed as a track on the first Live at Lynah CD.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2017 10:42AM

Jim Hyla
Hard for me to say what's the loudest, but this game has to be at or near the top.

This is how that starts, though, as you know. The kids got a taste of what they can do -- that barn really holds the noise. Now they know. They'll want that hit again.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2017 02:09PM

Beeeej

Yeah, I didn't think it was that difficult to understand if one, y'know, read the post.

Sorry, Beeeej. My bad.

I --DID-- read the post, but should have read it a second time, instead of assuming you had done bad math.

Date: November 14, 2017 02:12PM

andyw2100
Sorry, Beeeej. My bad.

I --DID-- read the post, but should have read it a second time, instead of assuming you had done bad math.

No worries - I'm teasing, as you were. :-)

- Steve Worona

Date: November 14, 2017 02:35PM

Beeeej
andyw2100
Sorry, Beeeej. My bad.

No worries - I'm teasing, as you were. :-)
I don't see where he was teasing...

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-217-0.myvzw.com)
Date: November 14, 2017 05:11PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

This is how that starts, though, as you know. The kids got a taste of what they can do -- that barn really holds the noise. Now they know. They'll want that hit again.

The Harvard game "feels" like it should be at the end of the year, but getting kids pumped about hockey early is not a bad thing.

Posted by: Swampy (---.163.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: November 14, 2017 05:18PM

Dafatone
Trotsky
Jim Hyla

The Harvard game "feels" like it should be at the end of the year, but getting kids pumped about hockey early is not a bad thing.

By "kids" do you mean the players or the (non-player) students? I.e., by "what they can do" do you mean "come back from 2 goals down to beat a loaded, #4 team" or "to raise the roof and have a great time, to inspire the team to come back from 2 goals down to beat a loaded, #4 team, and to intimidate a hated opponent"?

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: November 14, 2017 07:06PM

Daily Sun column: "One Day a Year" Instead of blockquoting the hell out of it, I'll just link it.

[cornellsun.com]

For several reasons, Clarkson was always circled on my calendar.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-217-0.myvzw.com)
Date: November 14, 2017 07:34PM

Swampy
Dafatone
Trotsky
Jim Hyla

By "kids" do you mean the players or the (non-player) students? I.e., by "what they can do" do you mean "come back from 2 goals down to beat a loaded, #4 team" or "to raise the roof and have a great time, to inspire the team to come back from 2 goals down to beat a loaded, #4 team, and to intimidate a hated opponent"?

The students. I figure feeling the rush of a Harvard game, complete with comeback, will help with enthusiasm and attendance issues down the road.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.165.31.119.virtela.net)
Date: November 14, 2017 07:35PM

RichH
Daily Sun column: "One Day a Year" Instead of blockquoting the hell out of it, I'll just link it.

[cornellsun.com]

Good article...but who reads newspapers anymore? Certainly not the students.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: November 14, 2017 08:03PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH

[cornellsun.com]

Not enough to bring them to the games.:-D

Actually, I think more have been bringing them.B-]

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2017 11:19PM

RichH

[cornellsun.com]

Any idea who are the two tenders (#1 and the one tied for #2)? I know Dryden wasn't one of them.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 15, 2017 06:30AM

Swampy
RichH

[cornellsun.com]

Any idea who are the two tenders (#1 and the one tied for #2)? I know Dryden wasn't one of them.

Leneveu and mckee come to mind. Don't know for sure.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2017 06:30AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

True. But they CAN read the article the same way you and I just did...

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: November 15, 2017 09:01AM

RichH

[cornellsun.com]

Very well thought out and well written article - especially for the Sun which usually talks of players "hitting" the puck into the net or the goalie "blocking" a shot attempt.

Date: November 15, 2017 09:37AM

Swampy
RichH

[cornellsun.com]

McKee 5, 2004
LeNeveu 2, 2002
Hayward 2, 1979
Stewart 2, 2015

Posted by: Give My Regards (98.159.210.---)
Date: November 15, 2017 09:47AM

Message deleted, should've known Greg would be on it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 09:49AM by Give My Regards.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: November 15, 2017 09:50AM

Trotsky
Swampy
RichH

[cornellsun.com]

McKee 5, 2004
LeNeveu 2, 2002
Hayward 2, 1979
Stewart 2, 2015

Poor Stewart. Seems like a capable goalie, but will likely never get his chance to shine. Bad timing, I guess.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2017 09:54AM

CU2007
RichH

[cornellsun.com]

Very well thought out and well written article - especially for the Sun which usually talks of players "hitting" the puck into the net or the goalie "blocking" a shot attempt.

The Sun's sports coverage, and the quality of the writing, has improved considerably the past 2 or 3 years. Nice to see after a number of lean years.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2017 11:15AM

CU2007
Poor Stewart. Seems like a capable goalie, but will likely never get his chance to shine. Bad timing, I guess.

While I feel sorry for the kid, I am selfishly glad that we have someone of his quality as backup. When Galadja has a bad night—and he will / he's a freshman—I think Schafer should not hesitate to swap Stewart in, like he did at Princeton. Indeed, I have zero problem with a goalie platoon, particularly in the beginning of the season.

And a goalie injury would destroy most teams—not us, this year. In fact, McGrath had pretty good numbers in juniors. I don't think he's an "emergency third."

We are deep.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 11:16AM by Scersk '97.

Date: November 15, 2017 12:03PM

Scersk '97
We are deep.
We are deep at goal. We are paper thin at D and don't have much margin at F.

Date: November 15, 2017 12:25PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
We are deep.
We are deep at goal. We are paper thin at D and don't have much margin at F.

That's true since Hoffman and Shore left the team. Only extra healthy D is Cairns right now, and we don't want to see Rauter have to go back there again (although he did a stellar job last year all things considered).

Posted by: dag14 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: November 15, 2017 12:40PM

Trent Shore is still on the roster; Wedman left the team for health reasons.

Date: November 15, 2017 02:07PM

dag14
Trent Shore is still on the roster; Wedman left the team for health reasons.

Right you are. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login