Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard 2 @ Cornell 3, 11/11/17

Posted by jy3 
Harvard 2 @ Cornell 3, 11/11/17
Posted by: jy3 (199.33.171.---)
Date: November 11, 2017 09:56PM

what a game!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 08:05AM by Beeeej.

Re: HARVARD SUCKS
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 11, 2017 10:05PM

oh my i've got the vapors

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2017 11:10PM

I thought it had been quite a while since Cornell started the season 6-0. If I just did my sleuthing correctly, the last time Cornell went 6-0 to start a season was in the 1971-72 season (my senior year!)! That year, CU won their first eight games.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 10, 2017 09:22PM

Toothpaste 2, Sucks 1
Tomorrow will be something.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2017 09:36PM

Swampy
Toothpaste 2, Sucks 1

Donato and his line were -2. Colgate had 5 penalties to Harvard's 3; it was effectively four in a row until they started to even it up at the end.

Perhaps we should rough 'em up a bit…

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: November 11, 2017 08:56AM

Scersk '97
Swampy
Toothpaste 2, Sucks 1

Donato and his line were -2. Colgate had 5 penalties to Harvard's 3; it was effectively four in a row until they started to even it up at the end.

A few things:

How can Donato be -2 when he scored a goal in a 2-1 game?

Colgate is wining because of great goaltending, Colton Point is .965. Can he maintain that?

Harvard out shot Colgate 31-20.

I'm glad that the ECAC boxscore shows Colgate's first goal at 8:12. The CHN app showed the goal at 8:02, scored by Cockrell with assist by Panowyk. Panowyk had a penalty at 6:02.

I had a difficult time last night trying to figure that out.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2017 09:55AM

Jim Hyla
Scersk '97
Swampy
Toothpaste 2, Sucks 1

A few things:

Power play goals aren't included in calculating plus/minus.

Date: November 11, 2017 10:03AM

ACM
Jim Hyla
Scersk '97
Swampy
Toothpaste 2, Sucks 1

A few things:

Power play goals aren't included in calculating plus/minus.

Right you are.doh

Date: November 11, 2017 10:52AM

lol arthur mintz doesn't like the fish throwing? trotsky, the curmudgeon throne was never yours.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-217-2.myvzw.com)
Date: November 11, 2017 11:19AM

ugarte
lol arthur mintz doesn't like the fish throwing? trotsky, the curmudgeon throne was never yours.

I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of spending all game terrified that we're gonna get a delay of game penalty. But I don't want to ditch the fish.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2017 11:39AM

Date: November 11, 2017 12:22PM

Dafatone
ugarte

I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of spending all game terrified that we're gonna get a delay of game penalty. But I don't want to ditch the fish.

I'm in favor of ditching it. I think it has lost its usefulness and it's too likely to harm us with a penalty due to a dumb fan.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2017 12:29PM

Jim Hyla
Dafatone
ugarte

I'm in favor of ditching it. I think it has lost its usefulness and it's too likely to harm us with a penalty due to a dumb fan.

Despite the warning talk, has there ever actually been a penalty given for throwing stuff? I can’t seem to recall it happening. As well, what is the point of athletics making such a big deal about the so-called “zero tolerance” “no fish policy” every year when there is clearly a non-zero level of tolerance?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2017 01:07PM

imafrshmn
Jim Hyla
Dafatone
ugarte

Despite the warning talk, has there ever actually been a penalty given for throwing stuff? I can’t seem to recall it happening. As well, what is the point of athletics making such a big deal about the so-called “zero tolerance” “no fish policy” every year when there is clearly a non-zero level of tolerance?

It arguably cost us the last Hahvahd game of McCutcheon's tenure. [www.amurgsval.org]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2017 01:22PM

imafrshmn
Jim Hyla
Dafatone
ugarte

Despite the warning talk, has there ever actually been a penalty given for throwing stuff? I can’t seem to recall it happening......

In a word, YES!! I cannot recall the specific game(s)... But, to my disgust, I've seen it happen. And, yes, there was a delay of game penalty called against us.

Date: November 11, 2017 02:31PM

redice
imafrshmn
Jim Hyla
Dafatone
ugarte

Despite the warning talk, has there ever actually been a penalty given for throwing stuff? I can’t seem to recall it happening......

In a word, YES!! I cannot recall the specific game(s)... But, to my disgust, I've seen it happen. And, yes, there was a delay of game penalty called against us.
If you throw it any time other than pre-game, it should be a penalty. But that's not about the tradition, that's about self-importance and foolishness.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (110.5.249.---)
Date: November 11, 2017 02:41PM

ugarte
redice
imafrshmn
Jim Hyla
Dafatone
ugarte

If you throw it any time other than pre-game, it should be a penalty. But that's not about the tradition, that's about self-importance and foolishness.

In the late 70's & early 80's we actually did it when they came out for the 3rd period. And yes, they often called a delay of game penalty.

In one game, after they called a delay of game penalty for the fish (and chicken - and a giant phallus with "Harvard Sucks" written on it), Tredway proceeded to finish a hat trick. Hats came onto the ice...and the pissy refs called another delay of game penalty!

Fortunately we won the game 11-4. Harvard really DID suck back then.

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2017 04:14PM

imafrshmn
Jim Hyla
Dafatone
ugarte

The 2011 game. Cornell had just tied it in the 3rd, some idiot threw a fish, delay of game. Harvard PP came up empty, but they scored a minute or two after to take the game.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2017 10:04AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
..... Hats came onto the ice...and the pissy refs called another delay of game penalty!.....

Yes, I do believe that ref was Peter Dawes.... And, I don't recall him ever reffing another game at Lynah.. That was the most horseshit call I can ever remember in
my 50+ years of college hockey.... And, in that era, we weren't scoring many hat tricks... So, that made it a bit more disgusting.

I suspect, the Lynah Faithful had been riding Peter over some bad calls & that was his payback time... But, that is blind speculation..

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2017 06:11PM

That photo is going to be legendary. What a shot!

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-217-18.myvzw.com)
Date: November 12, 2017 06:17PM

I still can't believe the way that puck stuck to the blue line.

Date: November 12, 2017 06:21PM

Dafatone
I still can't believe the way that puck stuck to the blue line.
The hands of fate.

Posted by: mikers (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2017 07:58AM

Great start to the season.The Freshmen are outstanding and contributing; however, wondering about one of the most touted- Cairns? Is he hurt, not up to par yet or just not playing the way Schaffer wants?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.165.31.119.virtela.net)
Date: November 12, 2017 07:24PM

That picture is now my new screen saver.

Date: November 09, 2017 10:43PM

From the Crimson, "Preview: Men's Hockey Prepares for Stingy Goaltending, Intense Atmospheres, and Flying Fish in First Road Weekend of Season":

“We’re going to have to talk to the guys who are a little less experienced or freshmen and say, ‘Hey listen, you have to keep your head within the glass,’” said [Ryan] Donato, a leader of his team’s [sic] attacking ranks. “There’s going to be a lot of times where you’re laughing at the crowd… and you can’t really let that distract you from your game.”

Oh, how they love us, and how their love takes the form of a full-on, slathering, green-eyed monster.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2017 08:31AM

Scersk '97
From the Crimson, "Preview: Men's Hockey Prepares for Stingy Goaltending, Intense Atmospheres, and Flying Fish in First Road Weekend of Season":

“We’re going to have to talk to the guys who are a little less experienced or freshmen and say, ‘Hey listen, you have to keep your head within the glass,’” said [Ryan] Donato, a leader of his team’s [sic] attacking ranks. “There’s going to be a lot of times where you’re laughing at the crowd… and you can’t really let that distract you from your game.”

Oh, how they love us, and how their love takes the form of a full-on, slathering, green-eyed monster.

Um... why "[sic]"?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2017 09:10AM

Scersk '97
said [Ryan] Donato, a leader of his team’s [sic] attacking ranks.
Heh. Subtle.

Date: November 10, 2017 11:25AM

Scersk '97

The following is from the article:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2017/11/8/m-hockey-at-colgate-cornell-preview-2017/

In a tradition dating back to 1963, Big Red students assail the Crimson with fish when the team takes the ice before the national anthem.

Funny, Paul Kantner said, "If you remember the sixties, you weren't really there." So maybe that's it. But I really don't recall any fish-throwing at that time and always thought the custom began in the 1970s. I do know from TBRW, that we didn't start to kick Crimson butt until 1965 and prior to that during the sixties at most split with them or lost both RS games to them, sometimes badly. So I always thought any serious hockey rivalries developed in the late sixties, with BU being the most arch nemesis. Harvard was an enemy largely because its coaches dissed Ned's recruiting from Canada, and it was among the best in the Ivies. But Cornell went from bad to best during the decade, and I recall BU, BC, and Clarkson as more hated foes. Art Mintz seems to share this opinion: “Harvard was decent, but they were just another opponent”. So, IIRC, the Harvard rivalry came later, and I don't remember any fish-throwing during my time on the hill, which I departed in 1969. Am I wrong about this?
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 11:36AM by Swampy.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: November 10, 2017 12:52PM

Swampy
Scersk '97

The following is from the article:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2017/11/8/m-hockey-at-colgate-cornell-preview-2017/

In a tradition dating back to 1963, Big Red students assail the Crimson with fish when the team takes the ice before the national anthem.

Funny, Paul Kantner said, "If you remember the sixties, you weren't really there." So maybe that's it. But I really don't recall any fish-throwing at that time and always thought the custom began in the 1970s. I do know from TBRW, that we didn't start to kick Crimson butt until 1965 and prior to that during the sixties at most split with them or lost both RS games to them, sometimes badly. So I always thought any serious hockey rivalries developed in the late sixties, with BU being the most arch nemesis. Harvard was an enemy largely because its coaches dissed Ned's recruiting from Canada, and it was among the best in the Ivies. But Cornell went from bad to best during the decade, and I recall BU, BC, and Clarkson as more hated foes. Art Mintz seems to share this opinion: “Harvard was decent, but they were just another opponent”. So, IIRC, the Harvard rivalry came later, and I don't remember any fish-throwing during my time on the hill, which I departed in 1969. Am I wrong about this?

You are right, the fish started in the '70's, I believe as a reaction to the chicken incident at Harvard. As far as the rivalry, Harvard started playing top-notch hockey in the '68-'69 season with Joe Cavanagh, and the entire Owen-Cavanagh-DeMichele line leading the way as sophs, and then added a second terrific line Corkery-Hynes-McManama two years later.

Date: November 10, 2017 02:58PM

Beeeej
Scersk '97

Um... why "[sic]"?

The grammar is fine, so sic is perhaps not warranted.

But, for a Crimson writer, "his team's" in "leader of his team's attacking ranks" sounds ever so distant. As in, "Ah, yes, we do have a hockey team over there, old boy!"

Posted by: cufan (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2017 03:02PM

And let us not forget the forgettable movie, Love Story, which brought some notoriety to the rivalry.

Posted by: Swampy (---.163.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: November 10, 2017 03:20PM

jkahn

You are right, the fish started in the '70's, I believe as a reaction to the chicken incident at Harvard. As far as the rivalry, Harvard started playing top-notch hockey in the '68-'69 season with Joe Cavanagh, and the entire Owen-Cavanagh-DeMichele line leading the way as sophs, and then added a second terrific line Corkery-Hynes-McManama two years later.

Thanks. Oh well, this wouldn't be the first time that Harvard was the source of a little revisionist history.

Posted by: msphi81 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 10, 2017 09:32PM

I agree the chickens were great!!!

A shout out to the best Cornell "chicken" presenter --- Bill Silvia (may he rest in peace).

I got the pleasure of seeing him do it my freshman year and then his brother "Redlight" continued the tradition in grand style into the early 1980s.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2017 12:11AM

At Harvard in 1972, the Cantabridgeans tied a chicken to the Cornell net. David Elenbaas (Ag '73, U Toronto Law '81) was the Cornell goaltender. I can't recall if it was before the third period or before the start of the game. I believe that was the only time Harvard did it. Cornell has now retaliated ~45 times.

Date: November 12, 2017 07:25PM

Interesting note from the ECAC article on the game:

"I haven't had much time to think about it. It's a pretty crazy feeling," McCrea said. "I was actually committed to Harvard in the past before I came to Cornell. So that was really emotional for me getting that last goal. It was a great effort from our team this weekend."

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2017 07:31PM

Trotsky

"I haven't had much time to think about it. It's a pretty crazy feeling," McCrea said. "I was actually committed to Harvard in the past before I came to Cornell. So that was really emotional for me getting that last goal. It was a great effort from our team this weekend."

As I recall, Harvard wanted McCrea to defer and play juniors an additional year. He wasn’t willing to wait and Cornell swooped in. He’s been a terrific player for us.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2017 09:15AM

Trotsky

Let's give credit where credit is due. ECAC articles are generally just posting of what the Us put out. The article is from CornellBigRed.com and was written by Brandon Thomas, formally with the IJ and for a number of years now the "Assistant Director of Athletic Communications" covering men's hockey.

In my view, he's the best at this in the ECAC.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.122.---)
Date: November 12, 2017 04:23PM

The Harvard Crimson game story left out a key fact -- the name of the player who scored the game-winning goal. For some reason, he mentions Kaldis when he describes Cornell's first goal, but never mentioned McRae's name when describing the game-winner. Even though the story is written from the Harvard angle, that's still an important fact to include. As other posters have noted, the ECAC needs to give Donato some type of sanction for his comments on the officiating.

Date: November 12, 2017 04:56PM

dbilmes
The Harvard Crimson game story left out a key fact -- the name of the player who scored the game-winning goal. For some reason, he mentions Kaldis when he describes Cornell's first goal, but never mentioned McRae's name when describing the game-winner. Even though the story is written from the Harvard angle, that's still an important fact to include. As other posters have noted, the ECAC needs to give Donato some type of sanction for his comments on the officiating.

His comments weren't in public, but something said to the official. I think the 2 min penalty is sufficient.

Not that it should matter to the league, but the penalty went a long way as to their losing. Effectively multiplying the penalty.

Date: November 12, 2017 05:21PM

Jim Hyla
dbilmes

His comments weren't in public, but something said to the official. I think the 2 min penalty is sufficient.

Not that it should matter to the league, but the penalty went a long way as to their losing. Effectively multiplying the penalty.

Did you see Donato’s quote in the Crimson? Donato publicly questioned the officials’ competence. I think that will merit a suspension.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 07:31PM by scoop85.

Date: November 13, 2017 09:22AM

scoop85
Jim Hyla
dbilmes

Did you see Donato’s quote in the Crimson? Donato publicly questioned the officials’ competence. I think that will merit a suspension.

No I didn't. From the post I didn't realize that it was referring to the article, rather than the mentioned "other posters".

Reading it, it is more serious, but although I don't remember it exactly, I think Coach Shafer's comments were stronger.

We'll see what happens today.

Posted by: mikers (165.214.11.---)
Date: November 13, 2017 08:21AM

Anyone know what's going on with Cairns??

Posted by: scoop85 (---.sub-70-209-133.myvzw.com)
Date: November 13, 2017 09:52AM

I believe Cairns has some type of injury. Hopefully he'll be able to play soon.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.108.---)
Date: November 13, 2017 11:06AM

Is anybody else's ILDN severely delayed these days? I got a text from an old friend (who was listening or maybe at the game) about the game winner seemingly 5 minutes before I saw it on my screen - really annoying. I don't remember this being the case in the past.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2017 11:45AM

CU2007
Is anybody else's ILDN severely delayed these days? I got a text from an old friend (who was listening or maybe at the game) about the game winner seemingly 5 minutes before I saw it on my screen - really annoying. I don't remember this being the case in the past.

Yes, especially on ROKU

Date: November 12, 2017 05:22PM

Classic photo — the look on McCrea’s face, the Harvard player checking the clock, the crowd in a frenzy:

Date: November 12, 2017 08:12PM

scoop85
Classic photo — the look on McCrea’s face, the Harvard player checking the clock, the crowd in a frenzy:…

Note also the snare drum player at the upper right, two sticks in the air moments before starting the roll-off for Davy while the rest of the band goes crazy.

Date: November 12, 2017 10:01PM

Truly 1000 stories in this photo. Just looking at the faces of elation in Sections A and B instantly transport me back to that exact feeling I had so often standing on those benches. The kids are alright.

Date: November 12, 2017 10:04PM

Not as good because you don't get the touches of the above photo (love the H player checking the clock), but this is also great and a different aspect ratio:

Posted by: KenP (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 13, 2017 06:59AM

RichH
Truly 1000 stories in this photo. Just looking at the faces of elation in Sections A and B instantly transport me back to that exact feeling I had so often standing on those benches. The kids are alright.
And most important feature of the photo: the puck in the back of the net.

Date: November 13, 2017 09:52PM

RichH
Not as good because you don't get the touches of the above photo (love the H player checking the clock), but this is also great and a different aspect ratio:

I have to admit I like this one because I can actually find dss28 and myself.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 11, 2017 07:37PM

hahvahd sucks.

I assume no free audio anywhere for this game, right? Looks like video is on ivy league network.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-146.myvzw.com)
Date: November 11, 2017 07:48PM

jy3
hahvahd sucks.

I assume no free audio anywhere for this game, right? Looks like video is on ivy league network.

WHCU is streaming.

Date: November 11, 2017 07:50PM

marty
jy3
hahvahd sucks.

WHCU is streaming.
thanks, Marty! Hope you are doing well. Been a while.

Date: November 11, 2017 10:22PM

If they want material for the next edition of “Forever Faithful” this game would probably be Chapter 1.

Date: November 11, 2017 10:34PM

i'm still buzzing

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2017 10:36PM

scoop85
If they want material for the next edition of “Forever Faithful” this game would probably be Chapter 1.

Definitely +1!!

It's been a while since Lynah was that loud.

Date: November 11, 2017 10:43PM

The 3 Harvard fans out there who post on the USCHO forum are predictably whining about the officiating at the end of the game. I thought Kaldis did a pretty good job impeding Donato without committing a penalty, but Daddy Donato obviously thought otherwise.

Date: November 12, 2017 12:17AM

scoop85
The 3 Harvard fans out there who post on the USCHO forum are predictably whining about the officiating at the end of the game.

I didn't know Teddy had the USCHO app on his phone.

Bench minor. laugh

Date: November 12, 2017 08:15AM

Aside from winning, the nicest thing for me last night was talking to Patrick McCarron's parents. Although he had a game last night, which they watched on their phone, they said that they plan to always come back for the Harvard weekend.

I don't know how many other alumni parents have that same connection to CU hockey, but it reminds me of the Harkness era. He had Ontario alumni parents that essentially were recruiters for CU. I can only hope that a minuscule form of that returns. Word of mouth can be a powerful thing.

Date: November 12, 2017 08:55AM

RichH
scoop85
The 3 Harvard fans out there who post on the USCHO forum are predictably whining about the officiating at the end of the game.

I didn't know Teddy had the USCHO app on his phone.

Bench minor. laugh

Referring to the officiating, Teddy apologized to his team “for the [lack of] competency we saw out there as well.”

Schafer’s gotten suspended for less

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2017 01:06PM

was the reffing all that bad down the stretch.. the charging call was a good one, and the cornell contact they complained about was barely a touch.. the late tripping was a trip, although surprised they called it that late, but then after ripping the refs and getting a bench minor they may have caused it themselves.

they did let the 2nd harvard goal count when they took out the goalies legs, but I thought that call was Ok, even though we have seen far less count as contact.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (98.159.212.---)
Date: November 12, 2017 02:00PM

upprdeck
was the reffing all that bad down the stretch.. the charging call was a good one, and the cornell contact they complained about was barely a touch.. the late tripping was a trip, although surprised they called it that late, but then after ripping the refs and getting a bench minor they may have caused it themselves.

they did let the 2nd harvard goal count when they took out the goalies legs, but I thought that call was Ok, even though we have seen far less count as contact.
Agree on all above.

Date: November 12, 2017 08:38PM

Everything about the play to set up the GWG is amazing. McCrea fumbles the pass but the glue on the blue line holds the puck in.

Barron beats a Harvard guy to the puck in the corner so badly that the guy can't even cut him off - and he falls down trying.

McCrea floats into open space to the left of the goalie and starts frantically banging his stick, which Barron hears.

Barron swoops around the net and fires a pass to McCrae's tape.

McCrea cocks the hammer as the pass comes in because he knows time is tight and one-times it.

I still keep replaying it in my head.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (98.159.212.---)
Date: November 12, 2017 10:07PM

ugarte
Barron beats a Harvard guy to the puck in the corner so badly that the guy can't even cut him off - and he falls down trying.
The highlights on youtube show clearly the "Harvard guy" grabbing and briefly holding the hem of Barron's sweater while falling in an attempt to stop or slow him.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (110.5.249.---)
Date: November 13, 2017 08:18AM

I love the Harvard guy in the right foreground: shoulders and arms just sagging in despair.

Every Harvard player should look like that for now and evermore.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 13, 2017 12:23PM

is it ILDN or the feed from WHCU still going old school across multiple lines to get to the internet.. last I knew the stream was going out of the building on cable lines to a another building then being converted and feed back to a fiber line and sent to ILDN where ever that is and then out to us..

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: November 13, 2017 12:25PM

upprdeck
is it ILDN or the feed from WHCU still going old school across multiple lines to get to the internet.. last I knew the stream was going out of the building on cable lines to a another building then being converted and feed back to a fiber line and sent to ILDN where ever that is and then out to us..

This is all kind of over my head, but whatever it is, its pathetic in 2017.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2017 10:50PM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte
The highlights on youtube show clearly the "Harvard guy" grabbing and briefly holding the hem of Barron's sweater while falling in an attempt to stop or slow him.
Turns out on close examination that "Harvard guy" was Ryan Donato.

Date: November 14, 2017 12:11AM

Al DeFlorio
Al DeFlorio
ugarte
Turns out on close examination that "Harvard guy" was Ryan Donato.

Malott's goal was a thing of beauty. The Harvard player he beat so decisively was #26, Jacob Olson. While neither is a NHL draft pick, Olson was nonetheless voted the top high-school defenseman in Minnesota and played on a US U18 select team. So he's not exactly chopped liver. Malott so thoroughly beating a player of Olson's calibre says quite a bit about Malott's ability. This should be tempered by the fact that although Olson is a junior and Malott is only a sophomore, Malott is about six months older than Olson.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2017 12:17AM

This obviously ranks up with the greatest Harvard Games of all time and might be the best hockey game I've seen in person (and I've been lucky to see some pretty good ones). Not 2003 ECAC final status, of course (I wasn't there), but in the running for best regular season Harvard clash. 2013-14 (another 2-goal comeback plus Lowry's late-OT winner) is another candidate, as is 2014-15 (Freschi scoring with under a minute to go; Harvard ranked #4). I would give the nod to Saturday night because of the comeback, the McRae Harvard decommit storyline, the fact both teams should be good this year (with Harvard coming off a Frozen Four appearance), the wild ending including the bench minor, and the fact the goal was scored with two seconds remaining.

EDIT: 2013-14 was on Senior Night--maybe have to give it to that one, then.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 12:27AM by BearLover.

Date: November 14, 2017 01:45AM

It's really a shame that such a good discussion of this great game is doomed to be buried in THIS THREAD.

Date: November 14, 2017 08:00AM

RichH
It's really a shame that such a good discussion of this great game is doomed to be buried in THIS THREAD.

I agree (I hate this thread's title, but that's another story.), but next time start a game thread. That would probably solve it.

Date: November 14, 2017 08:04AM

Working on it. Give me five more minutes.

EDIT: Okay, I didn't manage to retain anything resembling chronological order, but at least it's all now on its own thread. I did it kind of quickly to avoid complications, so if anybody spots anything that should really belong in the Big Thread, please let me know and I'll try to correct it.

- Steve Worona

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 08:13AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2017 10:59AM

Beeeej

EDIT: Okay, I didn't manage to retain anything resembling chronological order, but at least it's all now on its own thread. I did it kind of quickly to avoid complications, so if anybody spots anything that should really belong in the Big Thread, please let me know and I'll try to correct it.
Great work. Thank you.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 14, 2017 12:07PM

Jim Hyla

Colgate is wining because of great goaltending, Colton Point is .965. Can he maintain that?
Crikey. The ECAC has some early season :-O between the pipes.

Date: November 14, 2017 01:12PM

Trotsky
Beeeej

Great work. Thank you.

I wondered how I had a thread with 74 new posts.

Date: November 14, 2017 01:20PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Beeeej

Great work. Thank you.

I assumed it was our old friend the Spambot.

Date: November 14, 2017 01:24PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Beeeej

Great work. Thank you.

Because it had been thirty posts since you had 59 new posts.

- Steve Worona

Date: November 14, 2017 01:26PM

BearLover
This obviously ranks up with the greatest Harvard Games of all time and might be the best hockey game I've seen in person (and I've been lucky to see some pretty good ones). Not 2003 ECAC final status, of course (I wasn't there), but in the running for best regular season Harvard clash. 2013-14 (another 2-goal comeback plus Lowry's late-OT winner) is another candidate, as is 2014-15 (Freschi scoring with under a minute to go; Harvard ranked #4). I would give the nod to Saturday night because of the comeback, the McRae Harvard decommit storyline, the fact both teams should be good this year (with Harvard coming off a Frozen Four appearance), the wild ending including the bench minor, and the fact the goal was scored with two seconds remaining.

EDIT: 2013-14 was on Senior Night--maybe have to give it to that one, then.

A trip down Memory Lane.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.sri.com)
Date: November 14, 2017 09:05PM

cufan
And let us not forget the forgettable movie, Love Story, which brought some notoriety to the rivalry.

Cornell Hockey is never having to say you're sorry.

Date: November 14, 2017 10:52PM

Roy 82
cufan

Cornell Hockey is never forgetting to say "You suck!"

FYP

Posted by: Give My Regards (98.159.210.---)
Date: November 15, 2017 09:55AM

Roy 82
cufan

Yeah, did anything happen after the hockey game in that movie? I've never bothered to watch past that point...

Date: November 15, 2017 12:02PM

Give My Regards
Roy 82
cufan

Yeah, did anything happen after the hockey game in that movie? I've never bothered to watch past that point...
When they used to show it at Olin every Fall we'd all walk out after we win. That is the end of the movie.

I hear one of them dies.

Date: November 15, 2017 08:33PM

Trotsky
Give My Regards
Roy 82
cufan

When they used to show it at Olin every Fall we'd all walk out after we win. That is the end of the movie.

I hear one of them dies.

I'd watch it for a few minutes more to see a beat up Ryan O'Neal 'cause we did it to him. But after that...get the remote.

Posted by: jeff '84 (64.74.86.---)
Date: November 16, 2017 01:44PM

scoop85
Classic photo — the look on McCrea’s face, the Harvard player checking the clock, the crowd in a frenzy:

And if anyone in the crowd missed this because they were on their phone, I don't see 'em. Impressive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login