Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Frozen Four Tickets 2018

Posted by abmarks 
Frozen Four Tickets 2018
Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2017 11:01AM

To my surprise, I just got an email from the NCAA that I can now buy Frozen Four tickets 2018.

EXCLUSIVE FROZEN FOUR PRESALE!
SECURE YOUR SEATS PRIOR TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC
OFFER ENDS: FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 24

This is labeled "priority holder tickets" on the NCAA website. I'm not sure why I landed in the priority line since I've never bought FF Tickets before, but maybe it extends to anyone on the email list. I can get in there with the link in the email, but when trying to go from the NCAA website it says it is a restricted offer. (Imagine that the NCAA has it working correctly...)

Thought I'd let others now - check your email box in case you are interested.

Re: Frozen Four Tickets 2018
Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: November 06, 2017 11:31AM

For the past 3-4 years, tickets have been available to purchase into the spring. I think we're past the point of selling out these arenas early. I think St. Paul will still sell out eventually, as will future Boston Frozen Fours. But gone are the days of mad-scrambles, lotteries and scalpers. I feel this is another victim of lowered interest in actually going to sporting events. Examples: Lynah season ticket sales, NCAA Lacrosse Championship weekend venues, even MLB stadium capacities are all falling.

The NCAA will still try to manufacture some sort of high-demand illusion with these "exclusive offer!" marketing tricks. Heck, I even received personal phone calls from an NCAA rep with an "omg last chance for priority tickets!! I can help you RIGHT NOW" message.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2017 11:36AM by RichH.

Posted by: Josh 03 (---.epa.gov)
Date: November 13, 2017 12:10PM

I think it's also due to the emergency of StubHub and other such sites. Buying on the secondary market is so secure and easy now that there's less and less reason to loyally buy tickets year after year to improve your standing. Or to even buy tickets in advance at all.

For the 2003 Buffalo Frozen Four, I had to scour the Internet to buy tickets from someone I think the Gopher Hockey Forum. Don't remember if I mailed them a check, or made plans to meet them in person outside the arena, our what. Don't need to do that anymore. You can always get a secondhand ticket.

And you can usually save money doing it, especially with the NCAAs, because you can usually buy single session tickets at under face value (leaving the "advance priority ticket holders" to take the loss on tickets they can't or don't want to use).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 03:18PM by Josh 03.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 13, 2017 12:19PM

I wonder what some of these events would sell for it secondary price gouging wasnt going on. Lynah selling out is gone and so is the need to buy a season ticket to get into he building other that the harvard game.

Posted by: KenP (137.75.68.---)
Date: March 06, 2018 08:27AM

Just curious.. how hard is it to score FF tickets after the Regionals are complete? Is there a USCHO exchange thread or something similar?

All bets are off if the Goophers are one of the four teams. Their fans will pack the place.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2018 08:29AM

KenP
Just curious.. how hard is it to score FF tickets after the Regionals are complete? Is there a USCHO exchange thread or something similar?

All bets are off if the Goophers are one of the four teams. Their fans will pack the place.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head - when the FF is in St. Paul and any Minnesota team is in it, it's a tougher ticket. But yes, USCHO has an exchange thread, or you can always go the StubHub or Craigslist route. It's certainly not impossible to get FF tickets after the Regionals even when it's "sold out," but it's a little tougher when there's a de facto home team.

FWIW, you can almost always walk up and buy from scalpers. But if you don't live in the area you're taking a risk by traveling there without tickets in hand.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 06, 2018 09:28AM

Well from board reports it will be Holy Cross in the final 4 so that will free up some tickets.. Every team gets some and thats a tough place to get to so if Cornell made it I doubt they would use their allotment

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-151.myvzw.com)
Date: March 06, 2018 09:49AM

Beeeej
KenP

You pretty much hit the nail on the head - when the FF is in St. Paul and any Minnesota team is in it, it's a tougher ticket. But yes, USCHO has an exchange thread, or you can always go the StubHub or Craigslist route. It's certainly not impossible to get FF tickets after the Regionals even when it's "sold out," but it's a little tougher when there's a de facto home team.

FWIW, you can almost always walk up and buy from scalpers. But if you don't live in the area you're taking a risk by traveling there without tickets in hand.

In prior years I think there was an option to deliver the tickets electronically. This year you have to get the tickets mailed to you or show up with the credit card you used to buy them.

This will make online sales less convenient. It seems that the powers that be are trying to decrease secondary sales.

Date: March 06, 2018 09:50AM

marty
Beeeej
KenP

In prior years I think there was an option to deliver the tickets electronically. This year you have to get the tickets mailed to you or show up with the credit card you used to buy them.

This will make online sales less convenient. It seems that the powers that be are trying to decrease secondary sales.

Not sure where you heard that, but my tickets are electronic. Perhaps it's different for seniority/lottery buyers than for retail?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 06, 2018 10:32AM

KenP

As if on cue, I got an email from the NCAA this morning with this link to their "official" ticket exchange:

[www.primesport.com]

- Steve Worona

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-151.myvzw.com)
Date: March 06, 2018 10:48AM

Beeeej
marty
Beeeej
KenP

Not sure where you heard that, but my tickets are electronic. Perhaps it's different for seniority/lottery buyers than for retail?

Ok, I'm sure my post was wrong. But when I checked out there was no electronic option offered to me (that I could find). I also received the email about ticket exchange this AM.

Posted by: cufan (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2018 07:52PM

If Cornell is allocated tickets, how does one purchase a few of those?

Date: March 07, 2018 08:41PM

cufan
If Cornell is allocated tickets, how does one purchase a few of those?

If Cornell reaches the Frozen Four, once the Cornell Athletics Ticket Office gets the info from the NCAA, an email blast will go out from them and they'll post on the Athletics website how to get some. Can't hurt to follow @CornellSports and @CUBigRedHockey on Twitter as well; I'm sure the info will be available there.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2018 09:48PM

Or, you know, judging how they’ve handled visiting tickets this year, they’ll get them and send them all back because our Athletics Dept doesn’t want to do any actual work.

OK, now to insult myself, I’ve missed one FF since 1999 (2002, also in St. Paul) and I decided in the fall that this was a year to rest. Of course IF Cornell makes it, this means I’ll have to never buy tickets in advance again.

But yeah, basically, there will always be a way to find tickets, be it through Cornell, another school, or the open market, even if it’s a Gopher party in Gopherland. The event is held in large enough venues and enough sponsor tickets are given out to people who don’t care that much.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2018 01:32AM

RichH
Or, you know, judging how they’ve handled visiting tickets this year, they’ll get them and send them all back because our Athletics Dept doesn’t want to do any actual work.

What does this mean?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2018 07:25AM

Jim Hyla
RichH

What does this mean?
Cornell didn't sell tickets to away games this year.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: March 08, 2018 07:32AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
RichH

What does this mean?

True, but a little investigation would show that this was a decision made by the ECAC for all schools. It wasn’t something that CU decided on its own.

Date: March 08, 2018 08:17AM

RichH
But yeah, basically, there will always be a way to find tickets, be it through Cornell, another school, or the open market, even if it’s a Gopher party in Gopherland. The event is held in large enough venues and enough sponsor tickets are given out to people who don’t care that much.

And since it's never in the same place twice within a three or four-year span, local scalpers always seem to be overoptimistic, so you can usually walk up on the day of the semifinals and get a bargain if you're willing to risk it.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: marty (104.129.194.---)
Date: March 08, 2018 08:24AM

Beeeej
RichH

And since it's never in the same place twice within a three or four-year span, local scalpers always seem to be overoptimistic, so you can usually walk up on the day of the semifinals and get a bargain if you're willing to risk it.

Boston might be the exception. There are always ATMs for your convenience. I have a friend who has gone to the FF (or Beanpot??) in Boston with hundred dollar bills in his pocket. He told me he has always been able to buy tickets.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2018 10:49AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
RichH

What does this mean?

True, but a little investigation would show that this was a decision made by the ECAC for all schools. It wasn’t something that CU decided on its own.
Huh. Did they give a reason?

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: March 08, 2018 12:43PM

Jim Hyla

Was this part of a press release by the league? Where did this very meaningful investigative effort lead you to this information?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2018 02:17PM

RichH
Jim Hyla

Was this part of a press release by the league? Where did this very meaningful investigative effort lead you to this information?

Just by talking to a number of people at the rink. In particular Sue Detzer & Anne Dykes. Some schools complained that visiting teams didn’t get the unsold tickets back to the home school in time for them to be sold to their fans. So they decided that visiting fans would have to buy their tickets from the home school.

Some could be purchased online and designating specific seats, but no mention of a visiting fan section. Others allowed phone purchase and you could ask for the visiting section.

All together a poor experience, but not one that CU initiated by themselves. Hopefully it will change next year.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2018 02:41PM

Jim Hyla
RichH
Jim Hyla

Just by talking to a number of people at the rink. In particular Sue Detzer & Anne Dykes. Some schools complained that visiting teams didn’t get the unsold tickets back to the home school in time for them to be sold to their fans. So they decided that visiting fans would have to buy their tickets from the home school.

Some could be purchased online and designating specific seats, but no mention of a visiting fan section. Others allowed phone purchase and you could ask for the visiting section.

All together a poor experience, but not one that CU initiated by themselves. Hopefully it will change next year.

Thanks, Jim.

It really did p-ss A LOT of people off. I wouldn't be surprised if Cornell wasn't one of the schools complaining about receiving their allotment back. To be blunt, where else would it matter? Who else sells out? Q, maybe Union and Clarkson.

Here is attendance in 2017 (and 2018):
Rank	Team  Dates	Total  Average Capacity 2017 %  2018 %  Change
20	Cor   16	62,530	3,908	4,267	 91.6    82.1   -9.5
23	Qpc   18	56,373	3,132	3,086	101.5   100.3   -1.2
24	Yal   16	49,446	3,090	3,486	 88.7    92.1   +3.4
25	RPI   16	49,389	3,087	5,217	 59.2    57.8   -1.4
29	Clk   18	48,759	2,709	3,000	 90.3    95.4   +5.1
32	Drt   15	38,424	2,562	4,500	 56.9    45.3  -11.6
34	Hvd   15	36,991	2,466	3,095	 79.7    78.4   -1.3
41	Uni   16	33,620	2,101	2,225	 94.4    92.2   -2.2
46	Cgt   16	29,020	1,814	2,222	 81.6    60.8  -20.8
48	SLU   18	30,357	1,686	3,000	 56.2    50.2   -6.0
49	Prn   17	27,799	1,635	2,100	 77.9    76.2   -1.7
55	Brn   13	12,348	  950	2,495	 38.1    34.5   -3.6

Edit: there are 2018 numbers too. I have added them to the right.

I've added the delta, too, just FYI. If the idea was to boost attendance, um...
Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2018 02:59PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (104.129.196.---)
Date: March 08, 2018 02:51PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
RichH
Jim Hyla

Thanks, Jim.

It really did p-ss A LOT of people off. I wouldn't be surprised if Cornell wasn't one of the schools complaining about receiving their allotment back. To be blunt, where else would it matter? Who else sells out?

Here is attendance in 2017.

Rank	Team  Dates	Total  Average Capacity	Cap. %
20	Cor   16	62,530	3,908	4,267	 91.6
23	Qpc   18	56,373	3,132	3,086	101.5
24	Yal   16	49,446	3,090	3,486	 88.7
25	RPI   16	49,389	3,087	5,217	 59.2
29	Clk   18	48,759	2,709	3,000	 90.3
32	Drt   15	38,424	2,562	4,500	 56.9
34	Hvd   15	36,991	2,466	3,095	 79.7
41	Uni   16	33,620	2,101	2,225	 94.4
46	Cgt   16	29,020	1,814	2,222	 81.6
48	SLU   18	30,357	1,686	3,000	 56.2
49	Prn   17	27,799	1,635	2,100	 77.9
55	Brn   13	12,348	  950	2,495	 38.1

Cornell had issues itself (last year) in that the tickets that they express mailed to Lake Placid didn't get to the Will Call window in time for Friday's game.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2018 02:54PM by marty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login