Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

11/3/2017: Cornell @ Quinnipiac

Posted by Swampy 
11/3/2017: Cornell @ Quinnipiac
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 30, 2017 02:24PM

The link to the Travel Guide is broken. Last night it was returning a page using some East-Asian alphabet, and now it's returning a blank.

But since I've never attended an athletic event at Quinnipiac, I have some questions:

1. Q's web site describes this as a "Premium Game." Based on past experience, how important is it to purchase tickets for Premium Games in advance rather than as a walk-up?
2. Despite it being a "Premium Game," the site lists the price as $25, but for Seniors, like this alta cocker, it's a very reasonable $10. But the online purchasing site doesn't offer the Senior choice. Any idea how to get it?
3. Where do Cornell fans usually sit?
4. What's the story with parking? Is there an extra fee to park? Does one need to add an extra hour just for getting out of the lot (an hour is a low estimate for leaving the parking structure at the New Haven train station after a Yankee/Red Sox game @ the Stadium), or is it a relatively easy departure?
5. What about eating? New Haven reportedly has great pizza (where?), or does it make more sense to eat at the game or in Hamden? Recommendations?
6. Q apparently has a few campuses in the Hamden area. The ice arena appears to be @ the Mt. Carmel campus. Is this correct?
7. Anything else one needs to know about games at Q?

Re: 11/3/2017: Cornell @ Quinnipiac
Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: October 30, 2017 03:09PM

1) I've always had tickets in advance, so I can't answer this. The schedule points out for the Saturday Colgate game that this is "alumni weekend," so tickets may be harder to come by.

2) Give the ticket office a call?

3) It's pretty scattered. The arena map points out the visiting pep band sits at the top of Section 107, and IIRC, there's a block of Cornell seats behind the visiting bench (111-112) and also in the corner of 116-117. There's always a bunch of red jerseys hanging out in SRO spots along the top railing. I don't think I've ever been to a game where there hasn't been a good number of random empty seats in each section, maybe from season ticket holders who don't go to every game.

4) Ugh. There's plenty of parking, all of it free. The earlier you get there, the closer to the building you can get. Ideally, look for a spot nearest the main road for easiest exit. The closest lots are reserved for mobility impaired and "VIPs." There's a rather large parking garage in the corner of the complex which is a bit of a far walk.

The thing I hate most about New England facilities is how so many of them do this "one road in & out" design. There's a long road that winds up the hill to the facility, with a traffic circle at the top announcing your arrival. Lots are to the left and the garage is straight ahead. At the end of games, the traffic circle handles all the merging from the lots & garage, as well as being the pickup point for QU student shuttle buses (QU students generally leave the games early to get to their weekend partying locations). There's also a traffic light at the bottom of the hill that backs everything up. All this adds up to the perfect storm of "it sucks getting out." Immediately after games, there may be traffic control officers at various points. Savvy fans will note on maps that there is a back way in/out onto Kimberly Ave. but that's hard to locate. Just about everybody uses the main entry/exit road off Sherman Ave. Last year, the CU Alumni Pep Band played a post-game concert outside and that could be a thing to do while you wait for the traffic to thin out. (Yes, there will be another Alumni Band present this year.)

5) New Haven does have great pizza: Sally's & Pepe's are on Wooster St. and there are a few others (like Modern) scattered around town. Plan ahead because the waits are long. In Hamden, pretty much everything is located on the main drag, Whitney Ave (Route 10). Food at the arena isn't any better than what you'll find at Lynah.

6) NO. The TD Bank Sports Center is not on the Mt. Carmel campus. The York Hill campus is what you want. Off of Whitney Ave, turn onto Sherman Ave (Dunkin Donuts on the corner) and then make a right up the 2-lane road up the hill. Find "TD Bank Sports Center" on whatever mapping tool you prefer. 305 Sherman Ave. Here's a .pdf map: [www.qu.edu]

7) Prepare for sensory overload. They like fake noise and bright lights. The concrete walls amplify things.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2017 03:37PM by RichH.

Date: October 30, 2017 03:27PM

Thanks. Really helpful. I'll remember to pack my earplugs.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: October 30, 2017 05:00PM

There is a back road entrance, Kimberly Ave. I've come in that way before, but upon leaving it was blocked off. However, I've also seen it closed when I tried to come in. So it's really not a good choice.

Sometimes coming from Syracuse, or driving back, I'll get off the Mass Pike at Lee and come down Rt 8. Nice drive and if there is time, I try Kimberly, just for fun.

I suspect they have the back entrance blocked as homeowners don't want the traffic.

Date: October 30, 2017 05:55PM

And I'm not able to go this weekend. So any, or all, are invited to bring newspapers and Snickers.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2017 03:59PM

Q game available on Roku tonight using WatchESPN app.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2017 06:44PM

Thanks, Al.

Works fine on PC: [www.espn.com]

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 03, 2017 07:25PM

Production is miles ahead of ILDN.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2017 08:07PM

Q announcers praising one of their players for developing the "skill" of intentionally dislodging the net when there is pressure on their goalie.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 03, 2017 09:42PM

while listening to the radio broadcast it dropped out and got replaced by mark levin's show and i can't think of anything more depressing. got home in time to watch most of the third on espn3 and i gotta say... the defense looks tight. one of the best, most aggressive PKs I've seen in a long time. q pulled the goalie with about 2:30 left in the game and while i don't *love* constant icing as a strategy, it did the job.

second goal was fluky but who cares. great start to the year.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.buffalo.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2017 09:43PM

I can't imagine Galajda isn't getting the start again in Princeton tomorrow.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2017 09:49PM

Yeah, I think Cornell has identified their primary starting goalie.

Date: November 03, 2017 09:55PM

Hard to tell from a godawful streaming experience on ESPN3, but we seemed to control lengthy intervals of the game and earned the 2-1 win. Galadja was great. We generate good chances but once more, sorry, no closer.

Angello seemed to have another bad game. Hurt, maybe?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2017 09:55PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2017 09:56PM

Great road win against a solid team. While following Galadja last year I thought he would have a chance to be the primary guy this year, and it looks like he may be.

This freshman class is deep and talented; really looking forward to see them develop during the3 season.

Date: November 03, 2017 09:58PM

Trotsky
Hard to tell from a godawful streaming experience on ESPN3, but we seemed to control lengthy intervals of the game and earned the 2-1 win. Galadja was great. We generate good chances but once more, sorry, no closer.

Angello seemed to have another bad game. Hurt, maybe?

Agreed on Angello. He started slow last year too. He did miss the exhibitions with some type of illness, so maybe he’s not quite up to speed.

Date: November 03, 2017 10:23PM

We’re up to #2 in PWR :-P

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2017 10:27PM

I just got back from the game, and was really impressed with our play. First of all, I don't see how Stewart is going to get his job back (if he ever had it to begin with) with Galajda playing the way he has so far, giving up just 2 goals in 3 games. He came within about 6 minutes of shutting out Quinnipiac on the road, and made a lot of impressive saves. He showed poise that belied his freshman status.
For a team with so many freshmen playing its first road game of the year, we really played well. We had more odd-man rushes than Q, and if we had finished a few of them off, it would have been a more convincing win. Donaldson made a dazzling play in the third period, stealing the puck from a Q defenseman and skating in alone on Shortbridge, but couldn't finish the play off. But it was the type of play that took your breath away. Barron looks like he belongs at this level, and Mullin made his presence felt, too. It was ironic that we had so many odd-man rushes we couldn't capitalize on, but score the eventual game-winner on a fluke play. That's hockey for you.
There have been many years where we've come to this terrible arena and Q has skated circles around us, outshooting us by huge margins. This year, we matched them stride for stride. I know it's early, but it looks like this is going to be a fun team to watch. Angello wasn't much of a presence out there tonight, as has been noted before. But the good news is it looks like we have a lot of balance among our forwards.
On a side note, the Q fans were quiet most of the night. They now have a special announcer who comes on the PA and asks the fans to get on their feet and cheer, etc., but most of townie fans ignored him.
I'm looking forward to watching this team play again later this month at MSG!

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2017 10:43PM

Really played pretty well, easily control 75% of the play if not more.. the first goal was nice passing, the 2nd a fluke but but not really any more than the Quin goal which was just a sliding puck that the D and the goalie both whiffed on clearing or controlling..

really within a few min of starting the season with 3 shutouts and that is after a 1 goal and EN goal vs Guelph. That is a pretty solid start.

we created multiple good chances, missed 2 semi clean 1-1 with the goalie and a other open nets we just missed the puck. Quin had 2-3 good chances too but we had far more puck control most of the game.

the D just needs to clean up some of the mistakes when clearing which i think they well as the kids grow up

Get some scoring from A and V which you have to think will come and things start to look pretty good

Lets get the sweep now.

Posted by: wakester2468 (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2017 07:55AM

Horrible streaming as previously noted. I was worried it was on my end but apparently not. I understand the audio on WHCU was quite bad too.
It's 2017. One would think issues like this wouldn't happen and at best easily fixed when they do occur. Missing the last minute really sucked.

Date: November 04, 2017 08:52AM

wakester2468
Horrible streaming as previously noted. I was worried it was on my end but apparently not. I understand the audio on WHCU was quite bad too.
It's 2017. One would think issues like this wouldn't happen and at best easily fixed when they do occur. Missing the last minute really sucked.

What was the horrible streaming?

Date: November 04, 2017 09:18AM

my stream was fine all game..

the only issues was that the camera work was pretty shoddy at times, but they dont always use he best equipment in these types of games so you get what you get,

ESPN3 uses some crazy streaming techniques that often leads to strange service.. they change the quality of the stream which is something you dont tend to see from netflix/amazon stuff but i dont think they have nearly the backend support those places do either.

I find that my roku/firestick feeds streams tend to stay constant much more than my streams on a computer but i think thats the computer causing that by confusing the algorithms.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2017 09:52AM

My Spectrum/Apple TV/iPad Airplay started out great.
Then it degenerated to DSL level. Then I got a message saying my WiFi wasn’t fast enough to handle video, so I’d only get audio.
So, I did a speed test and it recorded a 50mb/sec download speed. Should be fine?
But, I did a modem reset anyway. No difference.
Stayed like that the entire game. Great, so-so, nothing. Repeat.
Glad it wasn’t me.

bang

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2017 10:10AM

I was out of the house for the first half or so. I used Roku with the Watch ESPN channel and only noticed one short drop out. It was evidently an ESPN blip because it showed the ESPN logo during the signal loss.

Otherwise the signal and picture was great - except that Janice kept complaining about the homers.

Date: November 04, 2017 11:05AM

Johnny 5
My Spectrum/Apple TV/iPad Airplay started out great.
Then it degenerated to DSL level. Then I got a message saying my WiFi wasn’t fast enough to handle video, so I’d only get audio.
So, I did a speed test and it recorded a 50mb/sec download speed. Should be fine?
But, I did a modem reset anyway. No difference.
Stayed like that the entire game. Great, so-so, nothing. Repeat.
Glad it wasn’t me.

bang
It wasn't you. My internet runs at 450Mb/sec. Since my move to the fiber paradise of NoVa I have better internet than NORAD. But apparently not fast enough to handle the stone knives and bear skins of ESPN3.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2017 11:08AM by Trotsky.

Date: November 04, 2017 11:19AM

i have 1.5mb dsl and had no issues all night.. download speed doesnt matter much when the quality of the signal is already low to begin with. even HD doesnt need much more than 3-5mb and I dont think think it was a real HD signal last nigth. the ESPN apps use some crazy diagnostics to control the signal they send and receive and its not all about speed. if it senses and kind of issue it goes crazy and going thry multiple devices to get it to the TV just adds to that.

Date: November 04, 2017 11:44AM

I was wondering, because while watching the first period on my phone at dinner and the rest on my Mac, I didn't see any problems.

Date: November 04, 2017 11:44AM

Just want to change the subject from technical issues to a verbal one: you know,the other part of the SAT's.

I don't (very much) like to kick an opponent while they're down, and all that stuff about safety schools is very much Ivy-League condescension. That said, the following quote comes from the (Quinnipiac) Bobcats Hockey Blog, which to its credit invites sports reporters from other schools to discuss their teams. The blog's author is introducing a sports reporter from Cornell:

Bobcats Hockey Blog
Zach Silver of the Cornell Daily Sun who covers Cornell men's ice hockey was gratuitous enough to write ...

Maybe this was a matter of auto-completion by the author's word processor. Maybe the author actually meant "gratuitous." Maybe our dear writer doesn't know the difference between "gracious" and "gratuitous." Most likely, it seems to me, this is a classic case of someone sounding foolish by trying to sound sophisticated and erudite. But whatever the explanation, there's no excuse for sloppy proofreading and editing when writing a publication, even if it's only a blog.

Date: November 04, 2017 11:52AM

That sure sounds like autocorrect to me. Let's not be "that guy."

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2017 12:48PM

Trotsky

Ya, seriously. I know I didn’t go to Cornell to become an insecure spiteful snob about intelligence.

Date: November 04, 2017 01:05PM

imafrshmn
Trotsky

Ya, seriously. I know I didn’t go to Cornell to become an insecure spiteful snob about intelligence.

Me neither.

I was born this way.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-174-201-7.myvzw.com)
Date: November 05, 2017 08:51AM

I'll second (or third?) the suggestion that the ESPN3 streaming issues were probably unrelated to connection speed. I watched part of the first period (from about 12 minutes on) on my phone, and then the rest on my laptop in a Marriott hotel room with the slower (free) WiFi. I had no streaming issues at all.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2017 11:08AM by andyw2100.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2017 11:22AM

Stop them before they applaud the women's team goalie for her meretricious play.

(Apparently attractive but having in reality no value or integrity. Also (old) relating to or characteristic of a prostitute.)

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2017 11:23AM

Did anyone go to the game last-minute and find tickets, or standing room tickets, available?

Date: November 05, 2017 01:24PM

billhoward
Did anyone go to the game last-minute and find tickets, or standing room tickets, available?

I purchased my senior ticket over the phone earlier in the week. I guess the ticket agent thought I wanted to sit in the seats set aside for Q supporters because I had to point out there was one seat left, at center ice, in the section supposedly for visitors. If you find your way through the somewhat confusing web page, you can see where tickets are available (section & quantity). Do this before you call the ticket office.

During the game I sat next to an interesting Q fan, about my age. There were lots of empty seats, and he seemed pretty sure they mostly belonged to no-show season-ticket holders. After the first period, a few standing-room people took the vacant seats next to us.

We agreed it would make real sense for Q, or any athletic promoter, to encourage no-show season-ticket holders to give notice before games. Ticket holders could call ahead or use a web site. One could penalize those who do not notify and then do not show up by putting them at the end of the line for the following year's season tickets. Alternatively, one might send the ticket holder a code when they report as a no-show, and then do something to reward them: like give them a discount on next year's tickets for every no-show they reported, give them priority for tournament tickets, etc.

If Hamden is not a long trip from where you are, I'd definitely take the risk and drive to the game, hoping to get standing-room and then find seats. OTOH, I live about 100 miles away and decided to buy the ticket early in the week but knowing I wouldn't make the trip if the weather was bad. I felt the $10 senior price was worth the risk.

You're probably only interested in Cornell games, which Q labels a "premium" game. But I suspect that finding seats for ordinary games is not a problem.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: November 07, 2017 05:01PM

I must say that the current QU jerseys are terrible. The old ones weren't too bad but the font choice on those new ones just don't work well. They also should've stuck with the previous logo with "QUINNIPIAC" on it. Perhaps they changed jersey manufacturers and that's why there's such a difference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login