Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Where are our Alumni Playing Now

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Page: Previous12 3 
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Where are our Alumni Playing Now
Posted by: sah67 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: May 03, 2018 08:49AM

Joakim was indeed in the San Jose lineup last night for their 4-0 win over Vegas. He only played about 11 or 12 minutes but received frequent praise from the NBCSN commentators for his performance.

Posted by: Cornell95 (159.127.207.---)
Date: May 03, 2018 04:15PM

His ability to grow a decent playoff beard (unlike a certain all star Penguins player) should be getting him 15 minutes a night alone

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: May 30, 2018 12:59PM

Trotsky
abmarks
Not surprisingly, he wears #25.

Kent was 21. I don't know what Kim was, but the sum is what he should wear if he comes here.

Unless it's > 29. Non-goalie uniform numbers greater than 29 should be banned.

Gah, he's committed to Colgate.

(But congrats to the Manderville family.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2018 01:00PM by Weder.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 30, 2018 01:06PM

Manderville suited up for Team East in the CJHL Prospects Game back in January and is ranked #165 by International Scouting Services for the upcoming NHL Entry Draft being held in Dallas, TX.

Gee, that might have come in handy.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 31, 2018 08:45AM

Trotsky

Manderville suited up for Team East in the CJHL Prospects Game back in January and is ranked #165 by International Scouting Services for the upcoming NHL Entry Draft being held in Dallas, TX.

Gee, that might have come in handy.

I have no idea what drove that decision -- my hunch is that Colgate's ability to offer a full-ride scholarship didn't hurt -- but this is a huge bummer. A legacy and a player of that caliber doesn't come along very often. Let's hope we have better luck with Jackson Nieuwendyk*

*1 [www.sbncollegehockey.com]

10. Jackson Nieuwendyk
#25 Dallas Stars Elite, 9/4/02, Shoots Left, 5-8/150

Nieuwendyk appears to be somewhat of a late bloomer. He’s the son of former NHL great and Cornell alum Joe Nieuwendyk. He has good size and skates well enough. He’s a player who could get up and down the sheet on the left wing. Don’t be surprised to see him commit to the Big Red in the near future.

*2 [thescoutingnews.com]

A dozen reasons why Jackson Nieuwendyk (F, 02, Dallas) will be a classic late bloomer, and a player prospect who will excel in the NCAA D1 ranks beyond all reasonable expectations

Date: May 31, 2018 09:34AM

pfibiger
I have no idea what drove that decision -- my hunch is that Colgate's ability to offer a full-ride scholarship didn't hurt -- but this is a huge bummer. A legacy and a player of that caliber doesn't come along very often.
I remember when Bruce Pattison's son Rob showed up with the Catamounts some of our older Faithful were

Extremely Displeased.

My take in these situations is the kid better not have had the grades. Otherwise there's just no excuse not to have landed him. We've seen in plenty of other schools that multi-generational program royalty can be a force multiplier. Family builds pride and morale (and responsibility) in ways nothing else does.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2018 09:40AM

We did steal Jimmy Boeheim from Syracuse.

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2018 10:50AM

This isn't alumni, but it is the NHL and I didn't know where else to put it. Anyone else have flashbacks to 2003 after watching this save? Only difference is that Holtby didn't save it with his facemask.

Washington Capitals' goalie makes amazing save to block an open net

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2018 12:35PM

billhoward

Uh, he's a nice player for the Ivies, but not a high-major talent

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2018 03:05PM

scoop85
billhoward

Do you think we don't understand that? Or that Bill doesn't? I suspect Bill was even implying that in making his post.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2018 04:12PM

scoop85
billhoward

And it's squeakball, so who gives a crap.

Date: May 31, 2018 04:33PM

Al DeFlorio
scoop85
billhoward

Do you think we don't understand that? Or that Bill doesn't? I suspect Bill was even implying that in making his post.

Sorry, my sarcasm detector was not working.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: June 01, 2018 07:35AM

scoop85
Al DeFlorio
scoop85
billhoward

I didn't pick up on that either. It's the problem with the written word versus observed speech. In person you'd see the facial expressions.

That's why we have emojis, or italics: We did steal Jimmy Boeheim from Syracuse.

Date: June 01, 2018 09:08AM

Jim Hyla
It's the problem with the written word versus observed speech. In person you'd see the facial expressions.

That's a feature, not a bug.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 01, 2018 01:02PM

Trotsky

My take in these situations is the kid better not have had the grades. Otherwise there's just no excuse not to have landed him.

According to this thread on uscho:

[board.uscho.com]

He had good grades.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 02, 2018 08:23AM

Jim Hyla
scoop85
Al DeFlorio
scoop85
billhoward

I didn't pick up on that either. It's the problem with the written word versus observed speech. In person you'd see the facial expressions.

That's why we have emojis, or italics: We did steal Jimmy Boeheim from Syracuse.
Jim, I've said this before and I have to insist on it: emojis are a crutch. Context clues, like "good faith on the part of the reader" are more useful than emojis in detecting sarcasm and jokes. People wrote books for thousands of years without even a "j/k" and other people figured out how to read them.

Posted by: Swampy (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2018 10:26AM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
scoop85
Al DeFlorio
scoop85
billhoward

Jim, I've said this before and I have to insist on it: emojis are a crutch. Context clues, like "good faith on the part of the reader" are more useful than emojis in detecting sarcasm and jokes. People wrote books for thousands of years without even a "j/k" and other people figured out how to read them.

Why should we have to suffer today just because people did things an old-fashioned way for thousands of years?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.128.104.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: June 02, 2018 04:10PM

Swampy
ugarte
Jim Hyla
scoop85
Al DeFlorio
scoop85
billhoward

Why should we have to suffer today just because people did things an old-fashioned way for thousands of years?

Sarcasm?

innocent

Date: June 04, 2018 07:15AM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
scoop85
Al DeFlorio
scoop85
billhoward

All of that is true. However with the speed that people are writing now, I'm not sure that we'll ever get back to that. Hell, we can't even get people to use punctuation and capitals, say nothing of proofreading before hitting post or send. If emojis allow a quick and easy way to interpret, I say use them.

Hopefully the writing of books will never require them, but for emails and online posts, use them if they will help in understanding.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2018 08:08AM

Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
scoop85
Al DeFlorio
scoop85
billhoward

All of that is true. However with the speed that people are writing now, I'm not sure that we'll ever get back to that. Hell, we can't even get people to use punctuation and capitals, say nothing of proofreading before hitting post or send. If emojis allow a quick and easy way to interpret, I say use them.

Hopefully the writing of books will never require them, but for emails and online posts, use them if they will help in understanding.

Alas, the use of emojis in one's own writing to aid the reader in understanding - particularly when it comes to things like sarcasm and other humor - requires a certain amount of self-awareness that one's readers are going to need the help.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: June 04, 2018 12:22PM

Beeeej
Alas, the use of emojis in one's own writing to aid the reader in understanding - particularly when it comes to things like sarcasm and other humor - requires a certain amount of self-awareness that one's readers are going to need the help.
Writing has always been at multiple levels. A sentence which expresses anything new or interesting will by definition leave half the readership behind. The choice is dumb it down for that half (call this the Facebook Method) or... well... fuck em.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2018 09:39PM

pfibiger
Trotsky

My take in these situations is the kid better not have had the grades. Otherwise there's just no excuse not to have landed him.

According to this thread on uscho:

[board.uscho.com]

He had good grades.

If you read that thread closely, pretty sure that "He had good grades" was intended as a joke - it was in reply to "wonder how Schafer missed him?"

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.ftas.verizon.net)
Date: June 04, 2018 10:59PM

Academic standards for playing hockey, even at an Ivy, aren't very high. If this kid had ambitions of playing for Cornell, he could have gotten the B average or whatever he needed to do so. And the son of a guy who played 650 NHL games going with the cheaper option? Possible, but again it seems unlikely. The most likely reality is that for some reason he preferred Colgate to Cornell. Maybe he didn't want to skate in his father's shadow? It's a bad loss however it happened. It does seem Cornell was getting more NHL talent 10, 15 years ago.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2018 03:01AM

There are also, cough, accommodations for famous alums' kids. I have to think it was his choice.

So. Bad parenting.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.tampfl.fios.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 05, 2018 10:40AM

If his parents are doing well financially it might be the difference between $0 for his education and $250,000. That’s hard to fault them for if so.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2018 01:35PM

I am pretty sure that Colgate coach Don Vaughn was an assistant while Kent was at Cornell. I suspect that relationship has something to do with Ethan's decision.

Date: June 05, 2018 01:46PM

dag14
I am pretty sure that Colgate coach Don Vaughn was an assistant while Kent was at Cornell. I suspect that relationship has something to do with Ethan's decision.

They overlapped for one entire season, during which season Schafer was also an assistant. But that brings me to another point - remember, Kent only stuck around for two seasons himself, and he left long before Schafer became head coach. It's tough to know why anyone makes the decisions they do, but in this case I'm leaning toward a combination of much more advantageous finances and a lower level of Cornell devotion than it sounds like people are imagining here. Playing several seasons in the NHL doesn't make anybody set for life unless they live way below their means the entire time, so I can absolutely see the attraction of a smaller hit for college.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: June 05, 2018 02:12PM

Beeeej
dag14

They overlapped for one entire season, during which season Schafer was also an assistant. But that brings me to another point - remember, Kent only stuck around for two seasons himself, and he left long before Schafer became head coach. It's tough to know why anyone makes the decisions they do, but in this case I'm leaning toward a combination of much more advantageous finances and a lower level of Cornell devotion than it sounds like people are imagining here. Playing several seasons in the NHL doesn't make anybody set for life unless they live way below their means the entire time, so I can absolutely see the attraction of a smaller hit for college.
According to Wikipedia (I know, I know), the cost of attendance at Cornell is $70,371 and at Colgate is $69,860. So that's a wash (which is hysterical; I mean... Colgate?).

Although Colgate offers athletic scholarships and Cornell ostensibly (and ostentatiously) does not, it's an open secret that Cornell will find a way to find a comparable package based on, ahem, something, if your slap shot is good enough.*

* Warning: this may erode your belief in Ivy academic integrity. If this bothers you for more than four hours please consult a physician to tell you I am kidding and of course Ivy athletics has great academic integrity and would never, say, just put out a self-serving cover story to support their marketing brand. Now, enjoy a deep and dreamless slumber.

Date: June 05, 2018 02:25PM

BearLover
Academic standards for playing hockey, even at an Ivy, aren't very high. If this kid had ambitions of playing for Cornell, he could have gotten the B average or whatever he needed to do so. And the son of a guy who played 650 NHL games going with the cheaper option? Possible, but again it seems unlikely. The most likely reality is that for some reason he preferred Colgate to Cornell. Maybe he didn't want to skate in his father's shadow? It's a bad loss however it happened. It does seem Cornell was getting more NHL talent 10, 15 years ago.

Overall I think we are now getting as good if not better pro-potential talent than 10 to 15 years ago.

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: June 05, 2018 02:31PM

BearLover

I don't know about talent but I decided to look up actual NHL players as a proxy. This is interesting (and thanks for compiling this Greg!):

[www.tbrw.info]

[www.tbrw.info]

I'm not sure if Cornell was graduating more NHLers 10/15 years ago or if it just hasn't been long enough to compare against recent classes. Of the Schafer-recruited players on that list it looks like Murray, Moulson, O'Byrne, Bitz, Scrivens, Greening, and Riley Nash were the ones to get more than random emergency call-up or rookie cup of coffee kind of work in the NHL. That makes 3-4 each from the strong periods in 2002-2006 and 2009-2011. I didn't actually classify players by departure year or where they played most of their games, but this seems roughly correct to me.

From the past several years we've got Ferlin and Ryan with at least one NHL game, plus Angello and a handful of other AHLers with the potential to break through. As a practical matter, anybody in the ECHL is a huge long shot.

It's possible that we're seeing fewer NHLers in general, but it's also possible that we're seeing fewer NHLers from the down period between 2011 and 2015, and the current crop of talent is getting back up to that level.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: June 05, 2018 03:25PM

I don't care at all if my son goes to Cornell and I post on hockey and wrestling forums like a total fuckin' nerd. Manderville played at Cornell for two seasons of people talking about how disappointing he was. I'm only surprised that Kim didn't make him come here.

People can speculate on the different admissions standards but I have a hard time believing there is a material difference between the academic profiles of the Cornell and Colgate teams.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2018 04:07PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
dag14

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know), the cost of attendance at Cornell is $70,371 and at Colgate is $69,860. So that's a wash (which is hysterical; I mean... Colgate?).

Although Colgate offers athletic scholarships and Cornell ostensibly (and ostentatiously) does not, it's an open secret that Cornell will find a way to find a comparable package based on, ahem, something, if your slap shot is good enough.*

* Warning: this may erode your belief in Ivy academic integrity. If this bothers you for more than four hours please consult a physician to tell you I am kidding and of course Ivy athletics has great academic integrity and would never, say, just put out a self-serving cover story to support their marketing brand. Now, enjoy a deep and dreamless slumber.

Yes, but you neglect the advantage of fluoride. NEN

Date: June 05, 2018 05:23PM

ugarte
I don't care at all if my son goes to Cornell
If your son is going in the first round of the draft you damn well better care. We know where you live. Well, I assume somebody here knows where you live. Will live. In the future when that happens.

So, yeah.

Date: June 05, 2018 05:24PM

Trotsky
ugarte
I don't care at all if my son goes to Cornell
If your son is going in the first round of the draft you damn well better care. We know where you live. Well, I assume somebody here knows where you live. Will live. In the future when that happens.

So, yeah.

Podcasts have a draft now?

- Steve Worona

Date: June 05, 2018 05:25PM

marty
Yes, but you neglect the advantage of fluoride. NEN

They're kids. It always comes down to tail.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2018 08:59PM

ugarte
Manderville played at Cornell for two seasons of people talking about how disappointing he was.

This, this, this is exactly what I remember from the time, and I was but a whippersnapper then.

Date: June 05, 2018 09:50PM

Tom Lento
BearLover

I don't know about talent but I decided to look up actual NHL players as a proxy. This is interesting (and thanks for compiling this Greg!):

[www.tbrw.info]

[www.tbrw.info]

I'm not sure if Cornell was graduating more NHLers 10/15 years ago or if it just hasn't been long enough to compare against recent classes. Of the Schafer-recruited players on that list it looks like Murray, Moulson, O'Byrne, Bitz, Scrivens, Greening, and Riley Nash were the ones to get more than random emergency call-up or rookie cup of coffee kind of work in the NHL. That makes 3-4 each from the strong periods in 2002-2006 and 2009-2011. I didn't actually classify players by departure year or where they played most of their games, but this seems roughly correct to me.

From the past several years we've got Ferlin and Ryan with at least one NHL game, plus Angello and a handful of other AHLers with the potential to break through. As a practical matter, anybody in the ECHL is a huge long shot.

It's possible that we're seeing fewer NHLers in general, but it's also possible that we're seeing fewer NHLers from the down period between 2011 and 2015, and the current crop of talent is getting back up to that level.
We are seeing fewer draft picks per class (none of our incoming freshmen are expected to be drafted): [link to tbrw page on draft picks]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2018 08:06AM

ugarte
Manderville played at Cornell for two seasons of people talking about how disappointing he was.
He was an EXTREMELY hyped incoming freshman -- among our most ever -- plus he was just after Nieuwy and people wanted a successor. I can remember him as a freshman trying to do it all himself and of course with the speed and strength of the college opponents he couldn't. Ironically, he learned to be a solid 2-way player at Cornell and that gave him a long NHL career. I doubt he has any resentments.

Kim, OTOH, is Cornell hockey royalty. If there's a Queen, she's it.

So, no, I don't think there was any lack of emotional connection with Cornell and/or Cornell hockey (or with Mike who AFAIK is a friend of theirs) in that family.

Poopie.

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: June 06, 2018 02:39PM

BearLover
Tom Lento
BearLover

[www.tbrw.info]

[www.tbrw.info]

We are seeing fewer draft picks per class (none of our incoming freshmen are expected to be drafted): [link to tbrw page on draft picks]

I chose to focus on actual NHL players because I'm just not sold on draft picks as a measure of "NHL-caliber talent" across a 15-20 year span. My memory from the late 90s and on was that we got a lot of late round picks that were really big dudes who never had a legitimate NHL shot. Sure, one of them happened to be Doug Murray, but the rest weren't nearly as good.

There are two big confounding factors that I suspect have more to do with the draft pick drop-off than an actual decrease in talent in recruiting classes:

1) The biggest factor is the number of Cornell's earlier picks who were 8th and 9th rounders. The NHL draft had 9 rounds up until 2004, and an extra 70+ players got picked overall. Based on overall draft position (> 217) Doug Murray, Brian McMeekin, Mark McRae, Mike Knoepfli, Dan Glover, Matt Moulson, and Mitch Carefoot would not have been selected in today's draft. Interestingly enough, two of those players were arguably our most successful NHL players from the Schafer era. Just excluding those players gets things closer across eras. If you exclude picks above 217 our high-water mark for draft choices per year in the Schafer era is 4, and we've hit it twice. Once in 2003, and once in 2014. In most years we've only gotten 1 or 2 < 217th picks on the team, so while we might have had a few more big years in the past it doesn't look like a clear trend to me.

2) The NHL started to embrace metrics and analysis over the past 5+ years, so it's entirely possible that "big kid with some talent who might develop" could be less of a late round draft pattern (assuming it was a pattern to begin with - my entire experience following the draft was "which Cornell players got taken" and a lot of them were big and either quick or good with the puck, but never all three). If that focus has really shifted, the likes of McMeekin, Glover, Gleed, and Krueger might not have been drafted at all, even with two more rounds. Nothing against those guys, they were fine players (and I loved to watch McMeekin back on defense, he was one of my favorite players from that era), but they weren't NHL talents.

Date: June 06, 2018 07:47PM

Tom Lento
BearLover
Tom Lento
BearLover

[www.tbrw.info]

[www.tbrw.info]

I chose to focus on actual NHL players because I'm just not sold on draft picks as a measure of "NHL-caliber talent" across a 15-20 year span. My memory from the late 90s and on was that we got a lot of late round picks that were really big dudes who never had a legitimate NHL shot. Sure, one of them happened to be Doug Murray, but the rest weren't nearly as good.

There are two big confounding factors that I suspect have more to do with the draft pick drop-off than an actual decrease in talent in recruiting classes:

1) The biggest factor is the number of Cornell's earlier picks who were 8th and 9th rounders. The NHL draft had 9 rounds up until 2004, and an extra 70+ players got picked overall. Based on overall draft position (> 217) Doug Murray, Brian McMeekin, Mark McRae, Mike Knoepfli, Dan Glover, Matt Moulson, and Mitch Carefoot would not have been selected in today's draft. Interestingly enough, two of those players were arguably our most successful NHL players from the Schafer era. Just excluding those players gets things closer across eras. If you exclude picks above 217 our high-water mark for draft choices per year in the Schafer era is 4, and we've hit it twice. Once in 2003, and once in 2014. In most years we've only gotten 1 or 2 < 217th picks on the team, so while we might have had a few more big years in the past it doesn't look like a clear trend to me.

2) The NHL started to embrace metrics and analysis over the past 5+ years, so it's entirely possible that "big kid with some talent who might develop" could be less of a late round draft pattern (assuming it was a pattern to begin with - my entire experience following the draft was "which Cornell players got taken" and a lot of them were big and either quick or good with the puck, but never all three). If that focus has really shifted, the likes of McMeekin, Glover, Gleed, and Krueger might not have been drafted at all, even with two more rounds. Nothing against those guys, they were fine players (and I loved to watch McMeekin back on defense, he was one of my favorite players from that era), but they weren't NHL talents.
I definitely agree with (1) and probably agree with (2), but this upcoming year we are going to have only four draft picks on the team, one of whom was possibly a novelty pick by the Islanders rather than a player chosen for his NHL potential. (Happy to be wrong here, but Andong Song has 1 goal and 2 assists in 100 USHL games.) We currently have only two players in the NHL. Those numbers place us in the middle of the pack in the ECAC and significantly below Harvard. I'm not asking that we be recruit BC-level talent, but if we're going to compete for a national championship we should get more NHL talent than we've been getting. We should have more NHL players than Princeton and Dartmouth, at least.

For reference, NHL players who played college hockey, and drafted NCAA players (on both lists you can sort by school).

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2018 10:11PM

BearLover
but this upcoming year we are going to have only four draft picks on the team, one of whom was possibly a novelty pick by the Islanders rather than a player chosen for his NHL potential. (Happy to be wrong here, but Andong Song has 1 goal and 2 assists in 100 USHL games.) We currently have only two players in the NHL. Those numbers place us in the middle of the pack in the ECAC and significantly below Harvard. I'm not asking that we be recruit BC-level talent, but if we're going to compete for a national championship we should get more NHL talent than we've been getting. We should have more NHL players than Princeton and Dartmouth, at least.

I forgot about that guy!

Anyway, sure, totally agree, more NHL-caliber talent by any measure would be welcome. I don't fully agree that you can't compete for a national title without it just because the talent profile in college is so much broader. Martin St. Louis and Eric Perrin were dominant college players and neither was drafted, and that was back in the 9 round draft days. Having said that, Cornell under Schafer has pretty much always recruited the kind of really big guys who either get drafted or are clearly not good enough to play in the NHL, so even though draft pick counts are a noisy indicator they are perhaps more relevant to the Big Red than a team that favors small fast guys.

Posted by: coz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2018 05:15PM

Dwyer Tschantz signed with the Maine Mariners

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: September 06, 2018 10:57PM

Ben Scrivens, who retired, I guess, has joined the University of Denver team staff. (He's working on a master's degree, too.)
[denverpioneers.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2018 10:58PM by Weder.

Date: September 07, 2018 07:11AM

Weder
Ben Scrivens, who retired, I guess, has joined the University of Denver team staff. (He's working on a master's degree, too.)
[denverpioneers.com]

From the article
Scrivens, 31, is recently retired

Date: September 07, 2018 12:45PM

Weder
[denverpioneers.com]
Aren't team managers previoiusly guys who couldn't skate, loved hockey, and got out of the phys-ed requirement?

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2018 12:14PM

I am going to guess that the Cornell equivalent is "Director of Hockey Operations." Joe Palmer for our men's team and Louise Derraugh for the women.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.125.---)
Date: September 08, 2018 04:38PM

Angello making a good impression at Penguins camp. My favorite sentence in the article: "He crunched Bruins prospect Ryan Donato early on, then followed that with a harder hit on Cedric Pare." The article also says Angello's mother wasn't happy with his decision to leave Cornell early.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.133.36.132.ipyx-123457-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: September 13, 2018 06:29PM

Erik Karlsson just traded to Sharks. Another elite right shot defenseman alongside Burns. Left shot defensemen include Ryan, Vlasic and Dillon. Looks like Ryan will play with Burns, Karlsson or Braun - I'd guess Burns given some success last year?
Sharks depth chart
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 06:29PM by RatushnyFan.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.128.104.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 20, 2018 09:12PM

Reece Willcox assigned to the Phantoms by the Flyers today.

Bardreau still playing with the big club, but they're currently carrying 25 forwards, so his time in Philly may not last.

Edit: And it didn't last. Cole cleared waivers today (Saturday) and was assigned to the Phantoms.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2018 05:52PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: September 24, 2018 05:47PM

Anthony Angello is still with the Pens; he's played in two preseason games and has one assist.

Re: Where are our Alumni Playing Now - Where Are They Not?
Date: September 25, 2018 05:02PM

Did we have a one-screen source of who's retired and when? Maybe Jim Hyla can add that to his initial post.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.125.---)
Date: September 25, 2018 09:06PM

Nice feature on Mitch Gillam, who's trying to earn a spot with Bridgeport in the AHL.

Date: September 26, 2018 08:34AM

billhoward
Did we have a one-screen source of who's retired and when? Maybe Jim Hyla can add that to his initial post.

I'll try and update the list this weekend. Probably starting a new thread for this year "Where are our Alumni Playing Now, 2018-19 Edition".

Date: September 26, 2018 09:11AM

dbilmes
Nice feature on Mitch Gillam, who's trying to earn a spot with Bridgeport in the AHL.
As we have zero cromulent goaltenders, he'll probably be our #1 in Belmont.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2018 09:11AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (45.56.153.---)
Date: September 28, 2018 06:02AM

Jim Hyla
billhoward

I'll try and update the list this weekend. Probably starting a new thread for this year "Where are our Alumni Playing Now, 2018-19 Edition".

How about just “Alumni News 2018-19” to avoid a needlessly long title? (Even though I preferred the monthly threads. The mobile version is 26 pages long fer cripes sake.) The stated purpose of WAOAPN was to document locations and current teams, but it just defaulted to a general update and news thread.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2018 06:06AM by RichH.

Posted by: redice (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2018 08:46PM

Trevor Yates was recently released by the Detroit Red Wingx

-Ned Harkness

Date: October 01, 2018 01:56PM

RichH
Jim Hyla
billhoward

How about just “Alumni News 2018-19” to avoid a needlessly long title? (Even though I preferred the monthly threads. The mobile version is 26 pages long fer cripes sake.) The stated purpose of WAOAPN was to document locations and current teams, but it just defaulted to a general update and news thread.
Hollywoo Stars and Celebrities: What Do They Know? Do They Know Things?? Let's Find Out!

Date: October 01, 2018 01:59PM

redice
And reported to the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL. I thought you were saying he was a free agent.

Angello was sent down as well (to Wilkes-Barre).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2018 02:02PM by ugarte.

Posted by: RichH (117.6.85.---)
Date: October 01, 2018 03:00PM

Surprise! We have another NHLer. Jacob McDonald makes the roster cut for the Panthers. Climbed all the way up starting from Elmira.

Subscription required, but you get the first few paragraphs: [theathletic.com]

Article from a couple days ago: [www.nhl.com]

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2018 03:49PM

ugarte
redice
And reported to the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL. I thought you were saying he was a free agent.

I only quoted my local newspaper's transaction listing.

Bad news for Anthony; good news for me!! I'll get to watch him in WB!!

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.165.31.119.virtela.net)
Date: October 05, 2018 03:42AM

redice
ugarte
redice

And I'll get to cheer against him in Allentown!

Let's go Phantoms!

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2018 08:41AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
redice
ugarte
redice

And I'll get to cheer against him in Allentown!

Let's go Phantoms!

-1 ;-)

Page: Previous12 3 
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login