Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Poll: Rooting for Harvard?

Posted by imafrshmn 
Poll: Rooting for Harvard?
Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2017 01:56AM

Poll
To win the 2017 NCAA title, how will you be rooting?
Voting is currently disabled for this poll.
74 votes were received.
For Harvard 23

31%
Against Harvard 30

41%
Neutrally (don't care) 5

7%
Irreconcilably conflicted 16

21%

Simple question.

Re: Poll: Rooting for Harvard?
Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2017 12:56PM

I am frankly surprised how many are going to root for Harvard and how few will be rooting against. This is what you get with such an intellectual bunch of hockey fans!

Posted by: Hooking (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 05, 2017 10:37AM

There is a difference between "rooting for Harvard" and "rooting for the Harvard Hockey Team". Rhetoricians call this a "synecdoche" - where the user confuses the part for the whole. This is a serious error in logic, love, and hockey fans.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 05, 2017 06:07PM

Also worth noting that these forums aren't representative of the average Cornell Hockey fan. I bet if you polled 100 recent graduates you wouldn't find more than a couple rooting for Harvard.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2017 06:07PM by BearLover.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2017 06:40PM

Hooking
There is a difference between "rooting for Harvard" and "rooting for the Harvard Hockey Team". Rhetoricians call this a "synecdoche" - where the user confuses the part for the whole. This is a serious error in logic, love, and hockey fans.
As relates to Harvard, isn't there a u missing?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 06, 2017 10:35AM

billhoward
Hooking
UD beat you to it.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: April 06, 2017 03:46PM

Trotsky
billhoward
Hooking
UD beat you to it.

I wondered what it had to do with Univ. of Delaware. dribble

Posted by: madAgaskar07 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2017 09:16PM

I chose "irreconcilably conflicted", but the visceral relief I feel at this moment suggests otherwise.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-221-146.myvzw.com)
Date: April 06, 2017 09:44PM

madAgaskar07
I chose "irreconcilably conflicted", but the visceral relief I feel at this moment suggests otherwise.

I felt that too, but it was because Janice told me we weren't staying for overtime, i.e. United Center Uber for me.

In her defense we did double overtime plus an after midnight game in Albany at the regionals. We weren't always senior citizens.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2017 11:38PM

madAgaskar07

My ambivalence was related to the fact that I wanted to see Harvard represent the ECAC well but not win the title, and on the other hand, I would much rather see UMD win it than either of the other two semifinalists. (I.e., I would have liked Harvard to lose to UMD on Saturday rather than tonight.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 07, 2017 12:01AM

gotta admit in the end i was kinda pulling for them and i was disappointed when i checked the score

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 07, 2017 06:54AM

ugarte
gotta admit in the end i was kinda pulling for them and i was disappointed when i checked the score
Same here.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: April 07, 2017 07:06AM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte
Same here.

Same for me. I still can't understand all the hatred for Harvard.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2017 07:45AM

Jim Hyla
Al DeFlorio
ugarte
Same here.

Same for me. I still can't understand all the hatred for Harvard.

Yeah, I was pulling for them too. Not so jazzed for the UD-UMD final; having Harvard there would've been more interesting to me.

Date: April 07, 2017 09:20AM

I'm all in for Denver. I like small schools winning when possible, and we have a connection to them from those titanic NCAA games.

Date: April 07, 2017 09:24AM

Also really wishing for early departures from Harvard, since they are graduating a ton (Moy, Kerfoot, Malone, Esposito, Anderson). Obviously Donato is staying, but I'd like to see Madsen (PHI) go, and it would of course be glorious to see Fox (CGY) do 1-and-done.

Date: April 07, 2017 12:22PM

Trotsky
Also really wishing for early departures from Harvard, since they are graduating a ton (Moy, Kerfoot, Malone, Esposito, Anderson). Obviously Donato is staying, but I'd like to see Madsen (PHI) go, and it would of course be glorious to see Fox (CGY) do 1-and-done.
Maybe the Red Wings could offer the coaching job to Donato Sr. And bring in Jr. as well.

Date: April 07, 2017 12:25PM

billhoward
Trotsky
Maybe the Red Wings could offer the coaching job to Donato Sr. And bring in Jr. as well.
I see what you did there.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: April 07, 2017 12:46PM

Trotsky

Madsen may go, but he won't be playing with the big club.

The Flyers have Mason and Neuvirth right now, and even if they dump one of those next year to get cap space, Stolarz is ready to step up (he's played well in Philly recently, too.). Lyon has been the go-to at Lehigh Valley, so if Madsen came out now, at best he'd be a back-up in Allentown.

Even though he does go to Sucks, you have to think he'd be smarter than to leave under those circumstances.

Date: April 08, 2017 01:14AM

Was strongly anti-Harvard going in and was overall happy with the result, but did feel a tinge of regret after seeing they lost/how they lost. They had an unbelievable team this year and certainly played well enough to win that game.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: April 08, 2017 07:59AM

BearLover
Was strongly anti-Harvard going in and was overall happy with the result, but did feel a tinge of regret after seeing they lost/how they lost. They had an unbelievable team this year and certainly played well enough to win that game.

I felt the reffing was particularly bad. It seemed like after the first period the officials said "We called that one close. So let's let everything go from now on." To me the worst was the lack of call on what seemed like a trip on UMD when Harvard was on a PP. Had Harvard scored on a 5 on 3, it could have been a major turning point.

Posted by: marty (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2017 12:01PM

Jim Hyla
BearLover

I felt the reffing was particularly bad. It seemed like after the first period the officials said "We called that one close. So let's let everything go from now on." To me the worst was the lack of call on what seemed like a trip on UMD when Harvard was on a PP. Had Harvard scored on a 5 on 3, it could have been a major turning point.

I was sure I saw the trip from the upper deck far side of the rink. They replayed it on the scoreboard and that view made the refs look silly. It seemed like much more of a penalty than the roughing(?) called just seconds before.

I give credit to Duluth. When I saw them fighting to keep the puck in the zone I said out loud that they wanted game over.

Posted by: Hooking (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 09, 2017 10:54AM

Denver U. is a small school (11,797), but U.M.D. is even smaller (10,878). For a really small school root for Union (2,242), which has to compete against Penn State (99,133).

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 09, 2017 02:28PM

Hooking
Denver U. is a small school (11,797), but U.M.D. is even smaller (10,878). For a really small school root for Union (2,242), which has to compete against Penn State (99,133).
do you care about anything except numbers

Date: April 09, 2017 03:21PM

Hooking
10,000 undergraduates is not a small school. Colgate and Union are small schools. You have to work to stuff football, hockey, basketball, etcetera teams into 1000-1500 male undergrads.

Penn State is more like 40,000. "99,133" is what pops up if you google 'penn state enrollment' but that might be all PSU campuses. Denver is more like 6,000 if you count undergraduates only; I'd check further but Google says Denver is "closed today." UMD is about 10,000 undergrads, not a whole lot less than Cornell. Broadly speaking.

Date: April 10, 2017 12:31AM

Not difficult to see how Harvard put together such an impressive season: top-flight talent (eight draft picks, including a number of early-rounders), none of whom left early; a senior-heavy team; and almost no games lost to injury whatsoever among their top players. As for how Donato got these players to attend Harvard over a school with a real hockey tradition is more difficult to figure out--sure, it's Harvard, but why not go to Yale, which was in the midst of a dominant stretch when these players were choosing schools? Regardless, with the talent Harvard's getting it looks like it's gonna be a while before they're back in the cellar.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 12:33AM by BearLover.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login