Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ben Syers

Posted by wakester2468 
Ben Syers
Posted by: wakester2468 (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 04:12PM

With five D1 schools looking for new hockey coaches and probably more to come, one would think that Associate Head Coach Ben Syers would be on a short list for some of the schools. His experience at Q and at Cornell certainly has prepared him for the opportunity. It would be a loss for Cornell but Ben has coached under two top coaches although that is tough for me to say since Pecknold is such a DBag. Here's hoping he gets his chance.

Re: Ben Syers
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 04:38PM

You had me worried when I saw a Ben Syers thread.

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 04:48PM

although Cornell's recent mediocrity probably won't help his cause. Not like hiring from a "hot" program unfortunately.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 05:38PM

wakester2468
With five D1 schools looking for new hockey coaches and probably more to come, one would think that Associate Head Coach Ben Syers would be on a short list for some of the schools. His experience at Q and at Cornell certainly has prepared him for the opportunity. It would be a loss for Cornell but Ben has coached under two top coaches although that is tough for me to say since Pecknold is such a DBag. Here's hoping he gets his chance.
Cornell fans love to hate Pecknold and Harvard's Ted Donato. Pecknold moved to Q when it was a crappy D-II school playing in a townie rink some high schools wouldn't play in, and made them a success. He's had straight 17 winning seasons. This is the first time in 5 years Q hasn't been to the NCAAs and the other 4 years included 2 title games (losses both).

Donato we dislike even more, for being a losing coach five straight years through 2015, but now he's got the hottest team in the East, a #2 overall ranking, and a good shot to make a deep run (as they say in college basketball) this year. Harvard also has had our number the last couple years.

Mike Schafer is probably disliked as intensely by other teams' fans. Quinnipiac and Harvard have had more success. We'll have to see if Cornell can move out of the NCAA regionals, with a team that has no all-star players (except the ECAC defensive forward of the year, Weidner; and a rookie defenseman of the year, Kaldis). That's going to be a Barry Melrose kind of talking point if we get to the final eight or four. He'll probably use the world "lunchpail."

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: March 22, 2017 05:59PM

billhoward

Donato we dislike even more

We do? To start, Teddy may be as bald as Cleary, but by all accounts is a much better sportsman. Up until the last three seasons, nobody has done less with more talent that is naturally funneled to the Harvard name and a celebrity coach. So I'm OK with that. Jimmy Vesey choosing to stay in a program gutted by a cheating scandal after his freshman season was one huge turning point. No, the only "hate" I have for The Famous Teddy D. is his genes, as pulling a talent like Ryan Donato into that program is pretty tough to swallow. Freaking nepotism. :-} No, I'd put Donato behind Pecknold and even Bob Gaudet on the "Coaches I hate" list.

Mike Schafer is probably disliked as intensely by other teams' fans.

Oh that's true. To be fair, Mike has dialed back the whining a touch in recent years. Refs know they're going to get an earful, but it isn't a scene anymore. And he's learned what words in the post-game interviews will get him a night off.

One correction: Kaldis wasn't "rookie defenseman of the year" as there's no such award. He made the league's All-Rookie Team along with Harvard's Adam Fox, who won the ECAC Rookie of the Year award.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2017 06:07PM by RichH.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.108.---)
Date: March 23, 2017 09:45AM

Harvard is skilled and generally plays the right way. Lot of respect for Donato.

Pecknold is a chump who deserves none.

Exhibit A: His calling Bardeau a diver, when he had, in fact, broken his neck.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 10:37AM

From Pecknold's comments over the year he does in fact seem to be a first order jerk.

Now, Mike was also like that at the beginning of his career, and I'm still convinced (no proof) that his cry baby act to "work the refs" hurt us more than it helped. But I do think Mike has really matured. Rand I simply don't follow closely enough to know whether he evolved, though it's been a couple years since the last time he said something truly heinous AFAIK.

Circling back, Syer will certainly be interviewed. For that matter, isn't this Mike's contract year? You never know -- the last time he interviewed at UMass IIRC, if only for leverage.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 10:38AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2017 02:03PM

CU2007

He broke his neck at RPI. Thinking of that other now-unemployed chump?

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 03:16PM

I think the Pecknold diving quote was not wrt the play that actually did result in Bardreau breaking his neck, which did indeed happen at RPI. Q also gratuitously ran up the score on Cornell in the ECAC tournament four years ago.

It's worth noting that Schafer despises Pecknold but is friendly with Donato. Donato appears to be a horrible X's and O's coach and it's a wonder that all the top-flight talent he recruits wants to play for him, but he seems relatively sportsmanlike.

Date: March 23, 2017 03:33PM

CowbellGuy
CU2007

He broke his neck at RPI. Thinking of that other now-unemployed chump?

[theqbsn.com]

This incident. It was a cheap shot on Bardreau AFTER he already had a broken neck and Pecknold wanted a dive called.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 05:01PM

billhoward
Mike Schafer is probably disliked as intensely by other teams' fans. Quinnipiac and Harvard have had more success.

Quinnipiac and Harvard have had more success when?

Date: March 23, 2017 05:13PM

adamw
billhoward
Mike Schafer is probably disliked as intensely by other teams' fans. Quinnipiac and Harvard have had more success.

The last five years.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 08:08AM

Trotsky
adamw
billhoward

The last five years.

The real aberration is Union, and their coach is a jerk too.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 09:21AM

adamw
billhoward
This century. This decade. Ken Dryden and Ned Harkness set foot in Ithaca half a century ago. The last Cornell frozen fours were 2003 and 1980; the last title game was 1972.

Quinnipiac has a sports complex to die for, although its location is almost like Lynah being on the IC campus. I'd swap the TD Bank complex in a minute for Lynah and Newman even if no one else would.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 24, 2017 11:08AM

billhoward
adamw
billhoward
This century. This decade. Ken Dryden and Ned Harkness set foot in Ithaca half a century ago. The last Cornell frozen fours were 2003 and 1980; the last title game was 1972.

Quinnipiac has a sports complex to die for, although its location is almost like Lynah being on the IC campus. I'd swap the TD Bank complex in a minute for Lynah and Newman even if no one else would.

I think the hatred is really a generational thing. The old guard doesn't like Harvard, whereas I think the younger folks probably hate Clarkson and certainly Quinnipiac more. Both are cheap, dirty teams with annoying fans who are easy to hate. Harvard doesn't have any fans, the coach seems to be a reasonably respectful guy, and the players are just flat out good.

Date: March 24, 2017 12:45PM

Clarkson is cheap? Doesn't really jibe with what we know of Casey.

Date: March 24, 2017 01:13PM

Trotsky

Well, perhaps less so this year (and even since he took over) though I think they were much chippier than other teams. You might disagree.

Was referring more to the Nickerson era and years past.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2017 09:56PM

CU2007
Trotsky

Well, perhaps less so this year (and even since he took over) though I think they were much chippier than other teams. You might disagree.

Was referring more to the Nickerson era and years past.
No issue with that; it was Morris and we'll see what SLU becomes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login