Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA tourney

Posted by wakester2468 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
NCAA tourney
Posted by: wakester2468 (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 08:50AM

Not to get too far ahead of things, but here is hoping that Cornell gets placed in Manchester, my home town, as projected by Adam and Jason.
CU fans will really like the facility. Modern and all good seats. Matt Moulson is a bit of a legend in AHL history here in his days proceeding his college years.
Many good bars and pubs within walking distance of Arena. Not to be confused, until this year, it was Verizon Wireless Arena but SNHU (Southern NH University) recently
purchased naming rights but don't actually own the place,
I sure hope the experts are right about CU playing here. Traveled to Ithaca for Clarkson series and Lake Placid this weekend. A lot of miles. So unless they are in Manch or Providence at worst it's TV for me. If it's Manchester, I'll be glad to answer any questions about the arena and city any of elynah mates have.

Re: NCAA tourney
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 12:05PM

It's Manchester. Against Lowell.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 12:32PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: March 19, 2017 12:18PM

See you all in ManchVegas.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-70-214-112.myvzw.com)
Date: March 19, 2017 12:49PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
What is the rest of the regional? (knock wood)

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 01:04PM

ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82

Minny vs. Ohio State

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 01:16PM

Sounds like a tough regional, but they were all going to be tough. Since we're IN and relatively close to home, I say it's a good result. Good luck to Cornell.

Posted by: madAgaskar07 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 02:03PM

Couldn't have asked for better placement, personally - a game near Boston on my son's third birthday, during the day so he'll be awake! Stupid question: any way of knowing now what side of the arena should I be getting my tickets for?

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 02:52PM

Would it be possible to wait until after the game on Saturday to buy tickets for Sunday or will they be sold out by then?

Posted by: Iceberg (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: March 19, 2017 03:04PM

Not the most ideal opponent since Lowell is a scary offensive team, but it's the NCAA and the best are going to be there.

Also, I imagine that first game will probably have the most attendance since Lowell also draws very well as I've seen first-hand.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2017 03:05PM

In our experience, the regionals rarely sell out. When Cornell beats Lowell, there will be plenty of tickets available for Sunday's game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 03:05PM by Larry72.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 03:22PM

it wont even be 2/3 full on sunday if we make it that far but many tickets will be sold early and probably dumped after the first round.

really depends on whether you want to sit in cornell section or just be in the building.

they havent even started selling the upper ring yet. it holds 10000..

last year in albany with lowell in it they had 5000 for sat and 3000 for sunday...

the other regional with BC in sold 6700 for the first game and 4500 for the finals..

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 03:24PM

Was any rationale given for not leaving it with #6 vs. #11 and #5 vs. #12? Why the flip?

Posted by: ats (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2017 03:26PM

Is there a section for Cornell? We would like to be near the band.

Date: March 19, 2017 03:56PM

always wonder why the School doesnt have ticket info ready to go. hockey they knew we were in before today it was just a matter of where and that would have little to do with the school getting their tickets ready to go.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 04:38PM

If history is any indication, you'll be able to sit near the Cornell section, no matter where your ticket says your seat is.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 05:07PM

Iceberg
Also, I imagine that first game will probably have the most attendance since Lowell also draws very well as I've seen first-hand.
Lowell is only about 30 miles from Manchester, so while Saturday is unlikely to sell out, there's sure to be a large contingent of Lowell fans there.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2017 05:42PM

abmarks
ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82

Minny vs. Ohio State

Minny - ND
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 05:43PM by CU2007.

Date: March 19, 2017 06:33PM

CU2007
abmarks
ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82

Minny vs. Ohio State

Minny - ND

No, it's minny (minnesota) v Notre Dame. No idea what the shorthand for UM-Duluth is but it's not minny. And UM-Duluth v Ohio State is in FARGO.

Cincinnati
1. Denver vs. 16. Michigan Tech
8. Union vs. 9. Penn State

Fargo
2. Minnesota-Duluth vs. 15. Ohio State
7. Boston University vs. 10. North Dakota

Providence
3. Harvard vs. 14. Providence
6. Western Michigan vs. 12. Air Force

Manchester
4. Minnesota vs. 13. Notre Dame
5. Mass.-Lowell vs. 11. Cornell

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2017 06:52PM

abmarks
CU2007
abmarks
ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82

Minny vs. Ohio State

Minny - ND

No, it's minny (minnesota) v Notre Dame. No idea what the shorthand for UM-Duluth is but it's not minny. And UM-Duluth v Ohio State is in FARGO.

Cincinnati

Fargo

Providence

Manchester

Right. So the rest of the regional is minny - ND. Not Minny - Ohio State.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2017 06:55PM

abmarks
CU2007
abmarks
ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82

Minny vs. Ohio State

Minny - ND

Cincinnati

Fargo

Providence

Manchester

Run this by me again.

Jeff says it's Manchester against Lowell and ugarte asks what are the other teams?

Then you, mistakenly I think, say Minny-OSU.

CU2007 corrects you to Minny-ND (meaning Notre Dame, not N. Dakota)

But then you somehow think they mean UMD-ND (meaning N. Dakota) and correct(?) it back to Minny-Notre Dame?

Date: March 19, 2017 08:10PM

Jim Hyla
abmarks
CU2007
abmarks
ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82

Minny vs. Ohio State

Minny - ND

Cincinnati

Fargo

Providence

Manchester

Run this by me again.

Jeff says it's Manchester against Lowell and ugarte asks what are the other teams?

Then you, mistakenly I think, say Minny-OSU.

CU2007 corrects you to Minny-ND (meaning Notre Dame, not N. Dakota)

But then you somehow think they mean UMD-ND (meaning N. Dakota) and correct(?) it back to Minny-Notre Dame?

Actually, Jim, you deciphered it.

My bad. I clearly need more sleep before posting; I'm impressed that you figured that out.

I mis-read the thing I quoted and thought CU had written the

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2017 03:54PM

Article about Quebec natives playing in the NCAA tourney discusses Yates, Anderson, and Kaldis

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 04:09PM

Selection committee's prioritizing profits over merit pits us against the fourth- rather than eighth-best team in the country.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 04:24PM

BearLover
Selection committee's prioritizing profits over merit pits us against the fourth- rather than eighth-best team in the country.

fifth rather than sixth in the rankings that they actually use to make the selections, but don't let that spoil your righteous indignation.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 04:29PM

It does kinda suck that we got UML and not WMU, but at this stage, I'm okay with it.

You have to go through the best teams at some point if you want to win it all.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 05:01PM

BearLover

Why are you quoting meaningless polls to make a point? I thought this stopped in 1998

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 05:25PM

DisplacedCornellian
BearLover

fifth rather than sixth in the rankings that they actually use to make the selections, but don't let that spoil your righteous indignation.
Here is an ideal 16-team bracket and here is the actual NC$$ bracket with PWR here (since the NC$$ are assholes and deliberately obscure that info on the bracket and I couldn't find anybody who notes it).

If all favorites win all games except we win our games, here is our path (we are PWR 11):

Ideal: WMU + Hvd + UMD + Den = 6 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 12
Actual: Low + Minn + Den + UMD = 5 + 4 + 1 + 2 = 12

No difference in difficulty.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 05:27PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: March 23, 2017 06:01PM

Dafatone
It does kinda suck that we got UML and not WMU, but at this stage, I'm okay with it.

WMU is getting their two injured forwards back for at least tomorrow. Dries and Allison are tied for 3rd in scoring on that team (2nd in Points/Game), while missing 4 games. On the selection show, one of the pundits picked WMU for that region if they played, Harvard if they didn't.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 06:02PM by RichH.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 07:09PM

RichH
Dafatone

WMU is getting their two injured forwards back for at least tomorrow. Dries and Allison are tied for 3rd in scoring on that team (2nd in Points/Game), while missing 4 games. On the selection show, one of the pundits picked WMU for that region if they played, Harvard if they didn't.

Oh, then it sucks less. I'm just happy to be in. From here, it's up to us.

Date: March 23, 2017 07:23PM

DisplacedCornellian
BearLover

Righteous indignation? Whether the process is unfair is completely independent of whether Cornell happened to benefit or suffer in this particular case. The two are wholly discrete questions, so I'll deal with them separately:
1. Is the process unfair? Yes--any pairing that takes into account attendance (i.e., profits) is necessarily doing so at the expense of merit.
2. Was the process unfair to Cornell in this case? Maybe slightly, maybe not at all--the above posters have done a good job arguing both sides.

I'm not unhappy with the pairing. I'm definitely not unhappy with it given where I predicted Cornell to finish at the start of the year.

Date: March 23, 2017 07:33PM

who says that the brackets have to be done by merit? you could argue its only the attendance factor thats allowed it to go beyond a 4 team east vs west thing. once you are in it only the teams that get in outside the first 16 pwr could be argued as being easier wins

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 12:05AM

upprdeck
who says that the brackets have to be done by merit? you could argue its only the attendance factor thats allowed it to go beyond a 4 team east vs west thing. once you are in it only the teams that get in outside the first 16 pwr could be argued as being easier wins
Then just choose the top 16 drawing teams every year, no matter what their record, with 16 @ 1, 15 @ 2, etc, and re-seeding each round. Why have merit enter into it at all?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 07:34AM

HOW SOON BEFORE THE GAMES START!!!!!!! THERE'S TOO MUCH ANXIETY IN THE AIR.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 24, 2017 08:37AM

merit gets you in..

why does seeding have to be done by merit..

Some thought has been given that random would be better,, what would happen if the ncaa did it random and a 16 seed ended up with the same type of seeding that a 1 getsnow.

the reward is to get in, why do they need addition rewards of playing an easier road if they really are a better team?

Posted by: LGR14 (137.54.8.---)
Date: March 24, 2017 08:47AM

I love the idea that "Cornell was screwed" despite being kept away from a team that they have gone 0-3 against this year and is the hottest in the nation. Lowell being a relatively slightly more difficult first hurdle is balanced by Minnesota being a relatively slightly not as difficult second hurdle. Either way, Cornell is going to end the season as champions or not. If they're going to be champions, they should be able to put four of their best games together in a row. They don't deserve it otherwise.

Also: look at past years--the first round is NEVER chalk.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 09:04AM

Dafatone

If you're not going to win it all, your season is more successful the more rounds you advance. Better to not play the best teams until the final four meet in Chicago.

"You have to go through the best teams at some point if you want to win it all" could be something the old coach would say, along with "The other guys put their pants on one leg at a time, just like we do." Somebody on our son's HS hockey team, hearing that before playing Delbarton (NJ), said, "And then they step into size 14 skates, one foot at a time."

Should we make it past UMass Lowell, Cornell is lucky, comparatively, in having the lowest of the 1-seeds in our bracket in Minnesota. That and not having to play them in Mariucci Arena. It's already been a good year for this century of Cornell hockey, getting to Lake Placid, to the title game, and into the NCAAs.

Posted by: Hooking (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 09:39AM

Percentage posters hedge their bets, while zealots are certain where certainty does not exist. Cornell wins, 3-1.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2017 09:53AM

Hooking
Percentage posters hedge their bets, while zealots are certain where certainty does not exist. Cornell wins, 3-1.

WOOHOOOOO!! Who won the other semi? Can't wait for the final on Sunday.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 24, 2017 01:11PM

Just came from practice in Manchester. Things were very upbeat. Looked like cautious optimism to me.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2017 02:29PM

USCHO Picks.

At least they get better as you read down.

Candace Horgan
Northeast Regional: The only regional with no NCHC teams. I don’t know too much about any of these teams. Minnesota has looked good, but I’ll pick UMass Lowell to make it through.

Jim Connelly
Northeast Regional: UMass Lowell is playing its best hockey down the stretch. If that continues in the regional, look for the River Hawks, paced by balanced scoring, to emerge. Teams will have to play disciplined against the River Hawks if they want to win. Lowell boasts the third-best power play in the nation.

Nathan Fournier
Northeast Regional: UMass Lowell — All Norm Bazin knows how to do is win as the River Hawks have made the NCAA tournament five of the past six years. They have the right mix of offense and defense. Being 40 minutes from campus, they could make Manchester a second home for the weekend.

Paula C. Weston
Northeast Regional: Minnesota over Notre Dame. The Golden Gophers have a deep, consistent, experienced team. The Fighting Irish have a deep, slightly less-consistent, experienced team. Notre Dame’s defense may be the factor, but I see Minnesota advancing.

UMass Lowell over Cornell. Lowell is arguably the best team in this bracket, in spite of its second seed. The River Hawks have the third-best scoring margin in D-I and they’ve dropped just one game in their last 12.

UMass Lowell over Minnesota. I’m just not picking against the River Hawks.

Dan Rubin
Northeast Regional: UMass Lowell — It seems a little cliche to pick the River Hawks, but I’m okay with it. They looked the part of a national champion in winning Hockey East, and they’ll have the benefit of playing closer to home than everyone. Cornell is a sneaky sleeper pick for me here.

Sean Shapiro
Northeast Regional:

Minnesota over Notre Dame
Cornell over Umass Lowell

Minnesota over Cornell

The Gophers feel like a heavy favorite to me in this region. I don’t see them falling short of Frozen Four.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2017 02:44PM

Strange that everyone seems to think BU is doomed. Cohesiveness and coaching issues aside, they do have some highly skilled players on their roster, even if that west regional is nasty.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 02:44PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 04:40PM

No. Dakota 1 - BU 1 after 2
Providence 0 - Harvard 0 after 1

Date: March 24, 2017 05:00PM

looking at tickets available right now.. one section has none. cornell has a few left in their corner. one other has a few scattered around and one has just a touch more. less than 100 on ticket master and the upper bowl still seems closed.

lowell will have its crowd but its not like it will be 80% of the crowd.

Posted by: abmarks (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 05:00PM

Just sat down in the arena in providence as Harvard goes up 1-0.

So much for Harvard traveling well... No more than 100 Harvard fans here.

Date: March 24, 2017 05:04PM

if you added up all the harvard fans at lynah the last 20 years would it add up to 100?

Posted by: abmarks (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 05:07PM

upprdeck
if you added up all the harvard fans at lynah the last 20 years would it add up to 100?

Lynah is just a bit further than an hour.

Date: March 24, 2017 05:43PM

clarksons fans find a way to get there every year

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2017 05:47PM

BU vs. North Dakota going into OT, tied at 3.

Posted by: Iceberg (172.58.216.---)
Date: March 24, 2017 05:48PM

It seems like the gong show at BU continues. They were up 3-1 for a bit.

And Harvard is now up 2-0 heading to the third

Date: March 24, 2017 06:20PM

wow.. huge replay over rule in Ndak..

Date: March 24, 2017 06:46PM

andyw2100
BU vs. North Dakota going into OT, tied at 3.

Now going into a second OT!

Date: March 24, 2017 06:46PM

Edit: Duplicate Post.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 06:47PM by andyw2100.

Date: March 24, 2017 07:08PM

If anyone is still waiting for the second OT to start, as I was, it started! Now on ESPNU instead of ESPN2.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 07:10PM

Iceberg
And Harvard is now up 2-0 heading to the third

Harvard wins 3–0.

Date: March 24, 2017 07:31PM

Who are you going to believe, a cluster of effete statisticians or a seasoned Cornell Hockey Fan?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2017 07:32PM

BU wins 4-3 on a gorgeous goal. Clayton Keller with an amazing display of puck possession threaded the needle to Charlie McAvoy on a diagonal cross ice pass, and McAvoy buried the puck. UND dominated the 1st overtime and most of the 2nd, and had the winning goal called off in the 1st OT on a hard to view offsides call (I did think the UND guy was offsides but hard to say if it was conclusive)

Date: March 24, 2017 07:59PM

For those who would've preferred a match-up with Western Michigan, that wish might be justified. Air Force leads 2-0 after about 12 minutes and looks like the better team.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 08:00PM by scoop85.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.sub-174-199-29.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2017 08:04PM

Figures. After listening to the first four periods on the drive, I get to the hotel in Manchester which has ESPN2 but not U. I finally set ny computer up to the WiFi and can't find the game because it's supposed to be over. I eventually find it but it freezes. Next time it plays they're already celebrating in the corner.

Bottom line is, Let's Go Red!

Date: March 24, 2017 08:05PM

The Starrett in net for Air Force is Bo's brother.

Date: March 24, 2017 08:20PM

Iceberg
The Starrett in net for Air Force is Bo's brother.

Beau's too?

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 09:19PM

scoop85
For those who would've preferred a match-up with Western Michigan, that wish might be justified. Air Force leads 2-0 after about 12 minutes and looks like the better team.
I turned it on for the back end of the first period - when the score was already 2-0 and definitely did not think this. I assumed by now WMU would be winning but they're down 3-1.

Date: March 24, 2017 09:27PM

Looks like we'll be rooting for two Starretts tomorrow.

Date: March 24, 2017 09:45PM

ugarte
scoop85
I turned it on for the back end of the first period - when the score was already 2-0 and definitely did not think this. I assumed by now WMU would be winning but they're down 3-1.
I would like to amend this. Hoo boy does WMU look ba---

as I was typing this WMU scored to make it 4-2.

Posted by: RichH (107.77.76.---)
Date: March 24, 2017 09:46PM

ugarte
ugarte
scoop85
I would like to amend this. Hoo boy does WMU look ba---

as I was typing this WMU scored to make it 4-2.

4-3.

Before this, I was going to say that it feels like that 09 regional with AFA playing the role of Bemidji.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 09:47PM by RichH.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 09:48PM

I blame Trump. He wins and suddenly Harvard is winning Beanpots and NCAA games. Up is down, left is right.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: RichH (107.77.76.---)
Date: March 24, 2017 09:51PM

French Rage
I blame Trump. He wins and suddenly Harvard is winning Beanpots and NCAA games. Up is down, left is right.

They haven't lost in his administration, that's true.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-70-198-41.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2017 09:53PM

RichH
French Rage

They haven't lost in his administration, that's true.

Jesus. I didn't need to know that.

Date: March 24, 2017 10:28PM

AFA wraps it up 5-4 after WMU scores an EAG and then commits a major penalty while Air Force was icing the puck. Still nearly tied it up.

UMD is up 2-0 on OSU.

Date: March 24, 2017 11:13PM

ugarte

UMD is up 2-0 on OSU.

Now going into OT, tied at 2. Supposedly first time since 2005 that both games in the same regional have gone to OT.

Date: March 25, 2017 12:03AM

andyw2100
ugarte

UMD is up 2-0 on OSU.

Now going into OT, tied at 2. Supposedly first time since 2005 that both games in the same regional have gone to OT.
UMD wins it in OT.

Date: March 25, 2017 10:54AM

Last night the four playoff teams had a total of 29 power plays but scored a total of TWO power play goals - a less than 7% success ratio. This seems low. How does it compare to regular season power-play success results?

Date: March 25, 2017 11:20AM

Hooking
Last night the four playoff teams had a total of 29 power plays but scored a total of TWO power play goals - a less than 7% success ratio. This seems low. How does it compare to regular season power-play success results?
It's low.

Date: March 25, 2017 07:09PM

Union has a chance at allowing 10 goals. That certainly hasn't happened during the NCAA's in a long, long time.

Date: March 25, 2017 07:11PM

Iceberg
Union has a chance at allowing 10 goals. That certainly hasn't happened during the NCAA's in a long, long time.

I just logged onto that game and was stunned to see PSU up 9-3

Date: March 25, 2017 07:27PM

thats just a crazy score.

Date: March 25, 2017 08:25PM

Iceberg

It ended 10-3. The announcers said the last time a team scored ten goals in an NCAA tourney game before today was in 1990.

Date: March 25, 2017 09:02PM

UMD knocks out BU on an amazing hustle play to keep the puck in the offensive zone, crisp passing, a shot that crippled a defenseman, a deke and a snipe. Great sequence.

Date: March 25, 2017 09:37PM

ugarte
UMD knocks out BU on an amazing hustle play to keep the puck in the offensive zone, crisp passing, a shot that crippled a defenseman, a deke and a snipe. Great sequence.

On the replay you can see the BU forward was dinged when he blocked the prior shot and was unable to move out toward the Duluth player, who was able to move in closer for the winner

Date: March 25, 2017 09:37PM

check out Donatos goal to make it 2-0 over AFA. What I wouldn't give to get one guy on the big red with that level of skill

Date: March 25, 2017 09:46PM

abmarks
check out Donatos goal to make it 2-0 over AFA. What I wouldn't give to get one guy on the big red with that level of skill

Posted by: Trotsky (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2017 10:12PM

ugarte
abmarks
Thing is, we have guys who can do that 1 time in 10, but Donato is in complete control the whole run and is already setting up move n+1 while he is doing move n.

I believe the cliche is "you can't teach that."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 10:12PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 25, 2017 10:21PM

Trotsky
ugarte
abmarks
Thing is, we have guys who can do that 1 time in 10, but Donato is in complete control the whole run and is already setting up move n+1 while he is doing move n.

Agreed. Let's skip trying to teach it. How about we focus on recruiting it instead?

Date: March 25, 2017 11:48PM

abmarks
Trotsky
ugarte
abmarks

Agreed. Let's skip trying to teach it. How about we focus on recruiting it instead?
Come on Schafer! Have a coordinated kid!

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (71.181.2.---)
Date: March 26, 2017 08:30AM

ugarte
abmarks
Trotsky
ugarte
abmarks

Come on Schafer! Have a coordinated kid!

Never mind Schafer. I'm on it. He'll be ready in 9 years.

All we have to do is move to Canada so he gets on their radar.

Date: March 26, 2017 06:53PM

Lowell falls in overtime and Notre Dame will only need a bus ride to get the Frozen Four in 2 weeks.

Date: March 26, 2017 07:38PM

But is Donato any good at playing a trap defense?

Date: March 26, 2017 07:43PM

Luckily for us (read: Harvard losing), Denver looks unbeatable

Date: March 26, 2017 08:15PM

Lowell was rather pedestrian today, far off of the game they played against us yesterday. Lots of fumbled passes, etc. Just goes to show on "any given day" as last week they pasted ND 5-1.

Date: March 26, 2017 10:03PM

scoop85
Lowell was rather pedestrian today, far off of the game they played against us yesterday. Lots of fumbled passes, etc. Just goes to show on "any given day" as last week they pasted ND 5-1.
But ND's OT winner came on a very questionable play. The winning goal scorer looked to have pulled the stick out of a Lowell defender's hand, enabling him to become wide open in the slot.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 10:04PM by BearLover.

Date: March 26, 2017 10:32PM

BearLover
I'm in favor of any Ivy school (any) winning the tournament.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2017 05:34AM

billhoward
BearLover

DItto

Posted by: Trotsky (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2017 06:20AM

jeff '84
billhoward
BearLover

DItto
Motion passes by acclamation.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2017 08:21AM

andyw2100
Iceberg

It ended 10-3. The announcers said the last time a team scored ten goals in an NCAA tourney game before today was in 1990.

I saw the score and figured everyone got confused by those ridiculous football helmets Penn State plays hockey in.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 27, 2017 09:33AM

jtwcornell91
andyw2100
Iceberg
I saw the score and figured everyone got confused by those ridiculous football helmets Penn State plays hockey in.
Right: a TD plus a FG for each side. They could national titles next couple years in wrestling, ice hockey, and lacrosse.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 27, 2017 12:47PM

Trotsky
jeff '84
billhoward
BearLover

DItto
NAY

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-70-198-56.myvzw.com)
Date: March 27, 2017 01:14PM

ugarte
Trotsky
jeff '84
billhoward
BearLover

DItto
NAY

I gotta say nay here. There are some teams I'd root for them over (nodak, Dartmouth, Q), but generally nay.

Date: March 27, 2017 01:26PM

Dafatone
ugarte
Trotsky
jeff '84
billhoward
BearLover

DItto
NAY

I gotta say nay here. There are some teams I'd root for them over (nodak, Dartmouth, Q), but generally nay.

I'm also a nay. Let Harvard get to the finals, but I badly want us to have our next national title before they get another. I'd even have been okay with another Union title this year, but not Harvard, no matter how deserving.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 27, 2017 02:05PM

Beeeej
Dafatone
ugarte
Trotsky
jeff '84
billhoward
BearLover
DItto
NAY
I'm also a nay. Let Harvard get to the finals, but I badly want us to have our next national title before they get another. I'd even have been okay with another Union title this year, but not Harvard, no matter how deserving.

Rising tide lifts all boats. In the Ivy League, a rising tide lifts all yachts. If an Ivy or ECAC team wins the title, recruits for the other teams in the league see increased competition within the league, which is what they want. Before Yale, Union and Q made it to the finals in the past five years with 2 titles, we were the EZAC.

Date: March 27, 2017 02:11PM

billhoward
Beeeej
Dafatone
ugarte
Trotsky
jeff '84
billhoward
BearLover
DItto
NAY

Rising tide lifts all boats. In the Ivy League, a rising tide lifts all yachts. If an Ivy or ECAC team wins the title, recruits for the other teams in the league see increased competition within the league, which is what they want. Before Yale, Union and Q made it to the finals in the past five years with 2 titles, we were the EZAC.

I am less and less convinced by this argument as the time goes by and Cornell's recruiting doesn't significantly improve. But if Q getting to the finals helped, great, let Harvard get to the finals and stop there.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2017 02:14PM

that argument only works if you think Cornell is underfunding the hockey team, which seems dubious. Harvard has generally had more individual talent over the years, but never seemed to get their s--- together.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login