Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Calling All Cowbell Alums / State of the Cowbell

Posted by CowbellGuy 
Calling All Cowbell Alums / State of the Cowbell
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2017 01:25AM

As dismal as student participation has been of late, I've also been pretty dismayed at the state of the cowbell. It's been going since 1969 in various forms, and I'll be damned if it gets claimed by apathy, too. For years after I gave it up, there was always good communication with my successors to make sure the cheer would always be represented at home and on the road. These days, students rarely travel and handing off the cowbell to the band on your way out of the rink is just not acceptable.

I'm not blaming the band for anything but the cowbell cheer isn't, has never been, and shouldn't be a band thing. We can do better than that. The biggest thing to improve the situation is simply communication, so I've started a Google Group for cowbell alums (and current students). Even if you don't travel to games any more, it would be nice to have you, but if you do, I implore you to join the group so we can at least make an effort to have someone at every game (and know when the current CBG isn't going to be there).

Join the group!

"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril." —Winston Churchill

Re: Calling All Cowbell Alums / State of the Cowbell
Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 02:27AM

This makes me *so* sad

(And thanks Age for doing something)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 02:27AM by BMac.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2017 08:54AM

Can someone explain to whomever it is that is currently playing the cowbell that he/she should not wait to start the cheer until the puck is about to be dropped? It seems like it's been being started too late pretty much all this season.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (209.68.90.---)
Date: March 17, 2017 11:28AM

Date: March 20, 2017 03:09PM

In the meantime, I won't be able to make it Saturday. Slight possibility of Sunday if things go well, but is anyone going to be there and able to cover?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 04:30PM

CowbellGuy
In the meantime, I won't be able to make it Saturday. Slight possibility of Sunday if things go well, but is anyone going to be there and able to cover?
You don't want me on that wall.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 01:19AM

CowbellGuy

This would fulfill a dream I've had for over 20 years. However, I own neither a cowbell nor rhythm.

Date: March 21, 2017 11:36AM

Greenberg '97
CowbellGuy

This would fulfill a dream I've had for over 20 years. However, I own neither a cowbell nor rhythm.

Cowbells I gots. Can't help you with the other.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (161.185.161.---)
Date: March 21, 2017 01:19PM

CowbellGuy
Greenberg '97
CowbellGuy

Cowbells I gots. Can't help you with the other.

Hopefully you find someone with at least one game's experience, but if you find yourself up Fall Creek without a paddle, talk to me and I'll do the best I can. mikegberg at the company that used to be part of time warner and would send CDs advertising 500 free hours.

Posted by: ajh258 (208.85.161.---)
Date: December 02, 2019 03:17PM

Any follow up on this since 2 years ago?

I’ve been watching online past few seasons and cowbell cheer has basically been nonexistent, even at home games many times.

Feels like new generation of Cornell hockey fans won’t even know what it is.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 02, 2019 03:18PM

ajh258

I’ve been watching online past few seasons and cowbell cheer has basically been nonexistent, even at home games many times.

Well, on the plus side, at least they won't care.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ajh258 (208.85.161.---)
Date: December 02, 2019 03:26PM

Beeeej
ajh258

Do GenZs care about anything?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2019 03:27PM by ajh258.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 02, 2019 03:34PM

The cowbell at the Brown/Yale games at Lynah was OK.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 02, 2019 03:36PM

Just record cowbells on your cellphones and everybody press the button on three?! You people have to keep up with the times.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 02, 2019 03:45PM

ajh258
Beeeej
ajh258

Do GenZs care about anything that they never knew existed in the first place?

FYP.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2019 05:10PM

The cowbell tradition has been fading out for the past 10 years or so. There used to be specific students (not band members) who were the designated cowbellers and they went to most of the games, both home and away. When one of them was graduating, they would designate a successor. For whatever reasons, that tradition has faded out and in recent years, someone in the band has been leading the cowbell cheer, but it hasn't been the same. During the MSG game, I remarked that only the BU pep band was playing the cowbell cheer, as I don't recall hearing anyone from Cornell leading it.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: December 02, 2019 05:44PM

i started clapping along to the cowbell at MSG and then ran to the bathroom to wash my hands when i realized i was clapping along with the terrier band

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2019 06:53PM

I live in Ithaca and have a cowbell I am happy to donate if someone wishes to revive the tradition.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login