Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Yale @ Cornell 02/11/17

Posted by Johnny 5 
Yale @ Cornell 02/11/17
Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 08:30AM

"LGR!!" cheer

Re: Yale @ Cornell 02/11/17
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 09:24AM

great results for not playing last night..

in we sweep and union doesnt do more than tie we jump to first

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2017 10:26AM

upprdeck

What about Harvard and St. Lawrence? If Harvard wins tonight, even if we sweep we'd be two points behind them with a game in hand. But even if we win the game in hand, we'd be tied with Harvard in points, and they take the tie-break.

If St. Lawrence wins tonight and we sweep, we'd be a point behind them, with a game in hand.

As I see it, the only way we take first this weekend is if we sweep and:

--Harvard loses tonight and St. Lawrence ties or loses tonight and Union ties or loses tonight.

If all of the above happen we'd still be tied with one or more teams in points, but we'd have a game in hand over Harvard and St. Lawrence, and no game in hand, but the current tie-breaker against Union.

Edit: I just looked at the schedule, and realized that Harvard and St. Lawrence are not playing tonight. So almost everything I wrote above is wrong. What is correct is that the best we can do is catch Harvard in points. We'd be tied at 26 points, but since they beat us twice, they'd have the tiebreak.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 10:30AM by andyw2100.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 10:52AM

andyw2100
upprdeck

What about Harvard and St. Lawrence? If Harvard wins tonight, even if we sweep we'd be two points behind them with a game in hand. But even if we win the game in hand, we'd be tied with Harvard in points, and they take the tie-break.

If St. Lawrence wins tonight and we sweep, we'd be a point behind them, with a game in hand.

As I see it, the only way we take first this weekend is if we sweep and:

--Harvard loses tonight and St. Lawrence ties or loses tonight and Union ties or loses tonight

If all of the above happen we'd still be tied with one or more teams in points, but we'd have a game in hand over Harvard and St. Lawrence, and no game in hand, but the current tie-breaker against Union.

Edit: I just looked at the schedule, and realized that Harvard and St. Lawrence are not playing tonight. So almost everything I wrote above is wrong. What is correct is that the best we can do is catch Harvard in points. We'd be tied at 26 points, but since they beat us twice, they'd have the tiebreak.

Sadly, Harvard can't lose tonight.

Harvard, SLU, QU, and RPI don't play tonight.

RPI-Harvard played their game in Dec. so the league can't be blamed for Harvard's Beanpot futility, despite the fact that bending the schedule to their whim hasn't had any impact over the past decade.

SLU-QU played their game in Northern Ireland over Thanksgiving as part of the "Friendship Four"

Edit: didn't see your edit.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 10:57AM by RichH.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 12:37PM

TEAM           PTS   ECAC GAMES PLAYED AFTER FRIDAY 2/10
Harvard        26    18
Union          25    17
St Lawrence    25    18
Cornell        22    16
Quinnipiac     21    18
Clarkson       18    17

Cornell has 6 games to play and 12 possible points to win. Everyone else in the top 6 (next is Yale at 15 pts) has 5 or 4 games left. Be nice to finish better than 4th.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 08:46PM

Watched the CU goals on @Cornell_ILDN and holy shit do I hate the camera work. They always switch from the wide-angle to behind-the-net while the player is in the act of shooting so by the time your eyes have adjusted to the switch the puck is in the back of the net.

On the other hand, we're winning.

On the Tevye hand, Yale has 1;44 of PP to start the third down only one.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2017 09:02PM

ugarte
Watched the CU goals on @Cornell_ILDN and holy shit do I hate the camera work. They always switch from the wide-angle to behind-the-net while the player is in the act of shooting so by the time your eyes have adjusted to the switch the puck is in the back of the net.

Also they show no replays of the goals.

Date: February 11, 2017 09:13PM

marty
ugarte

Also they show no replays of the goals.
They have multiple cameras! Put the highlight up as seriatim continuous feeds from each camera!

Also, there's someone listening to the audio close enough to the booth that you can hear a faint echo of the audio on a 1-2 second delay.

Date: February 11, 2017 09:35PM

Hoo boy. After taking a 2-0 lead I feel relieved to have escaped with a tie even though it sounded like the Yale goalie made a bunch of great saves.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 09:37PM

2nd and 3rd period looked like '07-'13 Cornell vs. '07-'13 Yale.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2017 09:42PM

This game could've been similar to the one in New Haven had Cornell gotten a third goal in the 1st period. The current edition of Yale is a team that lives and dies by its forwards and forechecking.

Date: February 11, 2017 09:44PM

Iceberg
This game could've been similar to the one in New Haven had Cornell gotten a third goal in the 1st period. The current edition of Yale is a team that lives and dies by its forwards and forechecking.
Missed penalty shot and it sounded like a pair of breakaways early in the third that we didn't cash in. Still, from the sound of it, could have been worse.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 09:46PM

We could have led 4-0 after 1, but we could have been outscored 0-5 in the second and third.

It's not sexy but I'll take it.

The positive, other than not losing, is we actually picked up a point on Clarkson who shat the bed against Princeton.

I don't particularly want to play Yale in the QF.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 09:46PM by Trotsky.

Re: Yale @ Cornell 02/11/17 - L2-2
Date: February 11, 2017 09:54PM

Very nice opening period for Cornell. Yale presented Cornell with an insolvable forecheck in the second half of the game, got two goals in the final two periods, and we missed a penalty shot although based on past history we were not due to score another one until circa 2047.

The missed point - 1 instead of 2 - may hurt us. Just not as bad as taking only 1 of 4 points vs. Dartmouth.

Date: February 11, 2017 09:56PM

Iceberg
They survived and we died by Yale's forechecking.

Date: February 11, 2017 10:21PM

the yale goalie played great though. we should have been up 4-0. then probably yale earned about 3 in the end it should have been about 5-3.. the 3rd was pretty even. yale had good pressure but still we had multiple point blank plays that didnt go in.

it kills this team that we dont clear the puck when given the chance, but when we do get it into the offensive end the cycle is as good as it has been in years with creating chances not just puck control.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2017 10:28PM

Trotsky

I don't particularly want to play Yale in the QF.

This year there's NOBODY in the ECAC that's a QF creampuff.

Date: February 11, 2017 10:29PM

I wonder what kind of crowd shows up tomorrow with the nasty forecast.. hopefully campus doesnt lose power again

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 10:58PM

upprdeck
I wonder what kind of crowd shows up tomorrow with the nasty forecast.. hopefully campus doesnt lose power again
I've been largely impressed with the crowds lately...it's too bad we've blown so many leads in front of them.

Posted by: Dafatone (12.238.61.---)
Date: February 11, 2017 11:31PM

I wonder if we're playing at a bit too high a pace early on. Out 1st periods are amazing, but clearly we're tiring down the stretch.

That being said, we are 15-6-3. No complaints.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2017 07:30AM

Maybe we should play all of our games on the road!?

bang

Date: February 12, 2017 08:52AM

Its strange that on the road we have come back several times and at home blown leads.. The crowd has been good. Its the D that I worry about, maybe the pressure we generate early is masking the issues, but dang the clearing was just awful the 2nd half of that game last night

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2017 09:08AM

After Yates missed the penalty shot I had a sense of dread that we were going to be in for a dogfight. You could see by the end of the 1at period that Yale's forecheck and quick counter-strikes were already causing us problems. Being unable to get that 3rd goal made the final result almost inevitable.

Nothwitstanding the regular season results, is there anyone here who would rather see Yale than say, Dartmouth in a playoff matchup?

Date: February 12, 2017 10:02AM

it was a strange game though.. it wasnt like yale forechecked us physically.. they just got in so deep we struggled to make solid passes.. yet when we did get the puck even out to our own blue line, we got guys thru time after time for scoring plays. and Still the number of times the puck was sitting in the crease and we could connect with up was mind boggling.

It is something that i hope on film they can correct, because our offensive zone pressure was really good once we got it in there.

it was frustrating to have the puck on a stick on our own end and just whiff on the clear though.. and they seem content to chip along the boards and it yale seemed to stuff it time after time.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-133.myvzw.com)
Date: February 12, 2017 10:48AM

upprdeck
It is something that i hope on film they can correct, because our offensive zone pressure was really good once we got it in there.

This is the potential silver lining. To be continued.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login