Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

This Weekend's Games Rescheduled

Posted by Beeeej 
This Weekend's Games Rescheduled
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2017 01:05PM

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2017 01:05PM by Beeeej.

Re: This Weekend's Games Rescheduled
Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.108.---)
Date: February 09, 2017 01:16PM

Beeeej

UGH. Guess we'll view it as silver lining to get an extra day's rest during a busy stretch of games.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 09, 2017 01:43PM

that storm down by the city is far worse then they thought even yesterday. yale/brown under blizzard warnings now.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2017 02:41PM

upprdeck
that storm down by the city is far worse then they thought even yesterday. yale/brown under blizzard warnings now.
Blizzard it is here south of Boston. More than a foot in central Massachusetts already.

Date: February 09, 2017 03:10PM

Why wouldnt you leave the Sat game as is and just move the Friday games? seems like less work for people

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 09, 2017 04:17PM

Well, that sucks. I was looking forward to coming up.

Fortunately they switched my tickets to Senior Weekend (RPI/Union).

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2017 04:33PM

upprdeck
Why wouldnt you leave the Sat game as is and just move the Friday games? seems like less work for people

The league tries to alternate which team first plays the home team. So if we play Brown first away, then we play Yale first at home. Next year it switches. Presumably it's done to even everything out.

For example if Yale was great this year and Brown their usual +/-, then it would not be fair to have Colgate play them first each time and we get them after they have been "beaten up" by 'gate each time. This year it's not that important, but could be.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2017 06:51PM

but had they had a issue on friday they would have no problem moving it to sat. seems like a minor concern in the bigger picture compared to people who might have been traveling for the game and now have to change hotels,

but who knows maybe cornell or some school requested that it not change

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2017 09:13PM

One good thing about the change- if you have ILDN you can see Union @ Harvard Friday night. A big game for all three teams. Might be a trap game for Harvard looking forward to Beanpot final. banana

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2017 09:16PM by TimV.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2017 09:26PM

TimV
One good thing about the change- if you have ILDN you can see Union @ Harvard Friday night. A big game for all three teams. Might be a trap game for Harvard looking forward to Beanpot final. banana

Well, not if you're a cheap ILDN subscriber like me, and only pay for Cornell games. :( Also even if I could watch that game, and assuming I'd be willing to root for Harvard if Harvard winning helped Cornell, I wouldn't know who to root for. We might have a better chance of passing Union than of passing Harvard since we still have a game left against Union, and we lose the first tie-breaker with Harvard.

Date: February 10, 2017 08:32AM

I take the perspective that there is no outcome of that game that doesnt help us in some way. its really unclear which one helps us the most. my head says a harvard win does, since we still play union again, but my heart has a hard time with that thought.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.108.---)
Date: February 10, 2017 08:49AM

upprdeck
I take the perspective that there is no outcome of that game that doesnt help us in some way. its really unclear which one helps us the most. my head says a harvard win does, since we still play union again, but my heart has a hard time with that thought.

Also depends on what you view as the ideal outcome. I would imagine there's an outcome that makes us more likely to finish third, but that it might be different from what would make it more likely we get all the way to first (which I think would be a tie? maybe?)

Date: February 10, 2017 09:30AM

I think tie is the best outcome to root for to.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: February 10, 2017 10:31AM

upprdeck
A Union win can help our quality win points, since the higher they finish the more quality win points we get. And we also have a second shot at getting more.

Date: February 10, 2017 10:43AM

jkahn
upprdeck
A Union win can help our quality win points, since the higher they finish the more quality win points we get. And we also have a second shot at getting more.

I thought quality win bonus was based solely on their Pairwise position at the time of the game, not where they end up.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2017 10:52AM

andyw2100
Well, not if you're a cheap ILDN subscriber like me, and only pay for Cornell games.
And me.

I may finally take the big plunge next year, but I do most of my non-Cornell watching during the playoffs which, IIRC, aren't on ILDN.

What we need is a fucking ECACDN.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 10:52AM by Trotsky.

Date: February 10, 2017 11:27AM

Trotsky
andyw2100
Well, not if you're a cheap ILDN subscriber like me, and only pay for Cornell games.
And me.

I may finally take the big plunge next year, but I do most of my non-Cornell watching during the playoffs which, IIRC, aren't on ILDN.

I'd settle for a "by sport" instead of "by school" option. I'd be more likely to watch other Ivy League hockey games than I am to watch other Cornell sports during the four months of the year I subscribe.

Date: February 10, 2017 12:11PM

andyw2100
Trotsky
andyw2100
And me.

I'd settle for a "by sport" instead of "by school" option. I'd be more likely to watch other Ivy League hockey games than I am to watch other Cornell sports during the four months of the year I subscribe.
You know the problem with that. Not a lot of interest/traffic for the Field Hockey package. Though maybe if they bring back the skirts...

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: February 10, 2017 12:24PM

Beeeej
jkahn
upprdeck

I thought quality win bonus was based solely on their Pairwise position at the time of the game, not where they end up.
It's got to be based on where they end up. First of all, it wouldn't make sense to give a team credit for beating a highly positioned team two weeks into the season, when that team is ultimately mediocre. And, what would you do with wins in the first game of the season. Plus, I just checked a couple of examples, including Cornell, it it seems to agree with where Union and St. Lawrence are now positioned.

Date: February 10, 2017 12:52PM

jkahn
Beeeej
jkahn
upprdeck

It's got to be based on where they end up. First of all, it wouldn't make sense to give a team credit for beating a highly positioned team two weeks into the season, when that team is ultimately mediocre. And, what would you do with wins in the first game of the season. Plus, I just checked a couple of examples, including Cornell, it it seems to agree with where Union and St. Lawrence are now positioned.

You make a compelling argument, and I'm sure you're right about how it does work, but that system still values "quality wins" differently at different times of the season. Let's say Penn State's decline wasn't just a regression to the mean, but they lost half their players to injury, and lost the rest of their games. Team X, who beat them early in the season when they were in the top few slots in the Pairwise, really did get a quality win over a strong team, but if Penn State ends up #25, Team X gets screwed out of that bonus regardless of the reason for the decline.

I guess no system is perfect, but I wonder if there's a mathematical way to find a middle-ground solution.

- Steve Worona

Date: February 10, 2017 01:01PM

Beeeej
You make a compelling argument, and I'm sure you're right about how it does work, but that system still values "quality wins" differently at different times of the season. Let's say Penn State's decline wasn't just a regression to the mean, but they lost half their players to injury, and lost the rest of their games. Team X, who beat them early in the season when they were in the top few slots in the Pairwise, really did get a quality win over a strong team, but if Penn State ends up #25, Team X gets screwed out of that bonus regardless of the reason for the decline.

I guess no system is perfect, but I wonder if there's a mathematical way to find a middle-ground solution.
You could wait until the end of the season, then retroactively go back and calculate every opponent's strength at the time of your game against them based on their results to that point against their opponents end-season SOS.

Very simple example:

Let's say Penn State goes 13-2 losing games 5 and 15, then has a Horrible Zamboni Accident, and goes 2-13 winning games 20 and 30. You step through the schedule day by day adjusting opponent strength to what it is at the moment the puck drops on each game, so the teams who beat PSU on games 5 and 15 get a VERY sweet boost. The teams that start beating them on game 21 still get a good boost for a while, but it sinks until the win against PSU on game 29 and the loss against them on game 30 are +/- virtually the same amount, since at that point they are effectively a .500 team.

It would be a weird hybrid with basically no higher theoretical statistical justification. But it would try to capture both concerns.

it might be better to front-load the schedule with say 4 dummy results of .500 ties to wash out the unduly high or low effects of the very low denominators early in the season.

Anyway, it could be done, but it winds up looking like those 11th grade Coronet films of spiders spinning their webs on acid.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 01:03PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 10, 2017 01:07PM

Trotsky
Beeeej

You could wait until the end of the season, then retroactively go back and calculate every opponent's strength at the time of your game against them based on their results to that point against their opponents end-season SOS.

Very simple example:

Let's say Penn State goes 13-2 losing games 5 and 15, then has a Horrible Zamboni Accident, and goes 2-13 winning games 20 and 30. You step through the schedule day by day adjusting opponent strength to what it is at the moment the puck drops on each game, so the teams who beat PSU on games 5 and 15 get a VERY sweet boost. The teams that start beating them on game 21 still get a good boost for a while, but it sinks until the win against PSU on game 29 and the loss against them on game 30 are +/- virtually the same amount, since at that point they are effectively a .500 team.

It would be a weird hybrid with basically no higher theoretical statistical justification. But it would try to capture both concerns.

it might be better to front-load the schedule with say 4 dummy results of .500 ties to wash out the unduly high or low effects of the very low denominators early in the season.

Anyway, it could be done, but it winds up looking like those 11th grade Coronet films of spiders spinning their webs on acid.

Somehow I knew you'd be the first to submit a proposal.

- Steve Worona

Date: February 10, 2017 01:12PM

Beeeej
Somehow I knew you'd be the first to submit a proposal.
"I GOT NOWHERE ELSE TO GO!!!!" :`-(

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 10, 2017 01:58PM

Trotsky
Beeeej

Very simple example:

NCAA: We need a simple way to reward quality wins.
Beeeej: How about a complicated way?
Trotsky: Always here for you, man.

Date: February 10, 2017 01:59PM

ugarte
It's actually no more complicated because once it's coded you press one fucking button. banana

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: February 10, 2017 02:02PM

Trotsky
ugarte
It's actually no more complicated because once it's coded you press one fucking button. banana

There is only one more change worth making to the selection process - KRACH

Date: February 10, 2017 02:06PM

nshapiro
There is only one more change worth making to the selection process - KRACH
Agreed. No, wait.

(confirms Cornell is higher in KRACH than PWR)

Agreed.

The PlayoffStatus.com "Pairwise" seems to actually be KRACH.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 02:10PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Swampy (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2017 05:11PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

"Senior" as in "about to graduate" or "senior" as in "can't remember when or even if I graduated?"

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2017 05:44PM

TimV
All three teams? Am I missing something?

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2017 05:45PM

I was thinking the miserable bus rides on Friday to Colgate and Cornell would add some home-ice advantage.

Date: February 10, 2017 06:11PM

billhoward
TimV

Union, Harvard, and Cornell.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2017 06:15PM

billhoward
TimV
They're trying 3-way hockey to keep Millennials interested. There will also be full frontal nudity.

And chimps.

Date: February 10, 2017 07:03PM

Trotsky
andyw2100
And me.

For cheap guys like us, the Quinnipiac vs. Clarkson game is available for free:

[quinnipiacbobcats.com]

Edit: Bonus for watching this game--Quinnipiac is wearing perhaps the ugliest jerseys I've ever seen. They are some sort of camouflage jersey. I have not heard why they are wearing them. Since they are playing on white ice, the camouflage really isn't going to work very well.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 07:08PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 10, 2017 07:47PM

Swampy
Jeff Hopkins '82

"Senior" as in "about to graduate" or "senior" as in "can't remember when or even if I graduated?"

Why do you think I have my graduation year in my log-in name? flipa :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login