Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 4 at RPI 3, 2/4/17

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 4 at RPI 3, 2/4/17
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2017 06:21PM

The Whiteout at Houston Field House: [rpitv.org]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 12:09AM by Trotsky.

Re: Cornell at RPI 2/4/17
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-70-209-128.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2017 07:12PM

RPITV is normally excellent. This broadcast has the video lagging the audio by six or seven seconds. I have written to them. I assume everyone is experiencing the same lag, right?

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.121.---)
Date: February 04, 2017 07:15PM

andyw2100
RPITV is normally excellent. This broadcast has the video lagging the audio by six or seven seconds. I have written to them. I assume everyone is experiencing the same lag, right?
Makes me glad I'm not only one with that problem.

Date: February 04, 2017 07:21PM

dbilmes
andyw2100
Makes me glad I'm not only one with that problem.

Try writing them. Perhaps if enough of us do...

rpitv@union.rpi.edu

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2017 07:30PM

It should be fixed.

Date: February 04, 2017 07:31PM

ursusminor
It should be fixed.

It's closer, but still about two seconds ahead.

Date: February 04, 2017 07:36PM

Now it seems in sync.

The RPI TV broadcasts are always so professionally done that this really surprised me. Glad they got it fixed!

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2017 07:42PM

good effort so far.. i bad goal and one bad bounce on the PP. nice to see our PP start to generate some really good chances and passing..

dont take penalties and we seem to be dominating behind the net again leading to some solid shots.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2017 07:47PM

ice cold
Cornell is looking good
maybe win

banana

Date: February 04, 2017 07:49PM

andyw2100
Now it seems in sync.

The RPI TV broadcasts are always so professionally done that this really surprised me. Glad they got it fixed!

RPI-TV is a student organization which means that the people involved change from year to year.

Date: February 04, 2017 08:33PM

tough to watch a team give up this many PP goals and be playing so well 5x5.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-131.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2017 08:35PM

ursusminor
andyw2100
Now it seems in sync.

RPI-TV is a student organization which means that the people involved change from year to year.

But with great alumni support they don't have to reinvent the codecs each year.

Date: February 04, 2017 09:22PM

gutsy win.. PP comes thru late..

RPI announcers surprised there was any call on the late Major.. The ref down low didnt call anything with a great angle on the play.

On to Colgate with a chance for 4th place. even 3rd not out of reach now.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2017 09:29PM

Textbook hitting from behind, as far as I was concerned. The RPI player could see Anderson's number the whole way in. He also hit him some distance from the boards, hence the major.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2017 09:55PM

Scersk '97
Textbook hitting from behind, as far as I was concerned. The RPI player could see Anderson's number the whole way in. He also hit him some distance from the boards, hence the major.

Two of the refs in section 7 thought that he was turned hence not hitting from behind. I'm not convinced but even if true I could argue a boarding major.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2017 10:03PM

marty
Scersk '97

Two of the refs in section 7 thought that he was turned hence not hitting from behind. I'm not convinced but even if true I could argue a boarding major.

He turned his head at the last second, but the hit was to the numbers. (We've watched the replay a number of times now.) I have no idea how the announcers could have thought it wasn't a penalty.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2017 10:10PM

andyw2100
marty
Scersk '97

He turned his head at the last second, but the hit was to the numbers. (We've watched the replay a number of times now.) I have no idea how the announcers could have thought it wasn't a penalty.
I also think he jammed his stick into Anderson. I could be wrong but that's what it looked like to me.

I don't know if it was a good call but it was the right call.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2017 10:25PM

When was our last Capitol Region sweep?

Prior to this weekend, that is :-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2017 10:26PM by margolism.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2017 11:26PM

margolism

Re: Cornell 4 at RPI 3, 2/4/17
Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2017 08:19AM

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2017 10:25AM

Hilarious but true.

Posted by: KGR11 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2017 11:22AM

Trotsky
margolism

Two things I remember about that weekend:
1. Barlow diving into the Cornell net to keep the puck out during a delayed penalty against Union. We showed up on ESPN's top 10 for that.
2. The drive back to Ithaca from RPI being terrible because of a snowstorm. Was grateful to have a Rochester-native driving.

Date: February 05, 2017 11:42AM

ugarte
andyw2100
marty
Scersk '97

I also think he jammed his stick into Anderson. I could be wrong but that's what it looked like to me.

What is the difference between a good call and the right call?

Posted by: Iceberg (---.lib.albany.edu)
Date: February 05, 2017 12:44PM

Well, that was a fun game to watch in person yesterday. RPI certainly came out with speed early on and Kaldis got eluded pretty badly before RPI's first goal (which Gillam really should have had). Of course, he had the game-winner at the end, so he sort of redeemed himself. He's only a freshman so he'll get better than he already is.

It was quite interesting to have the feeling of being in an opposing rink where the fans actually had somewhat of a vocal presence. Of course, behind me there is some silly undergrad going on with his drivel against Cornell, the refs, and whatever other incoherent stuff came to his head. It was good fun while it lasted...which was basically the whole game. The two guys I was sitting with, one a RPI alumnus and the other who was seeing his first-ever hockey game, certainly got a kick from hearing him.

The officiating seemed fine aside from the offsides that were missed later in the game. Sitting in section 9 (the Cornell band was in 10), I got a good view of the hit on Anderson. I'm perfectly fine with the major call on Bourbonnais considering how dangerous the hit could have been; and at the NCAA-level, the officials don't hesitate to give majors for that kind of stuff. They have certainly given majors for less severe hits in the past.

No videos of any Cornell goals this time. :| When I got my ticket I thought I would be sitting where Cornell would shoot twice. And as it turned out, all of the Cornell goals were on the other end. Having the band nearby was nice though!

Edit: Also, that was Cornell's first win at RPI since this game in 2011, so it's been a while.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 12:58PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2017 01:32PM

ursusminor
ugarte
andyw2100
marty
Scersk '97

Zero seconds.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2017 01:34PM

ursusminor
ugarte
andyw2100
marty
Scersk '97

In HFH Section 7 no call made against RPI or FOR the visiting team is a GOOD call, even when it's the right call. Those calls that result in an RPI PP is ALWAYS a GOOD call. I think it's all delineated on the handy smartphone ap "YelpSect7".rolleyes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 01:36PM by TimV.

Date: February 05, 2017 05:35PM

there seemed to be some confusion on the one offsides late, but watching live I thought RPI sent the puck back into their own end so there wasnt any offsides to be called even with the cornell player already inside the zone? i didnt bother to record the stream to try and replay it

Date: February 05, 2017 09:02PM

upprdeck
there seemed to be some confusion on the one offsides late, but watching live I thought RPI sent the puck back into their own end so there wasnt any offsides to be called even with the cornell player already inside the zone? i didnt bother to record the stream to try and replay it

[www.youtube.com] in all its out-of-sync glory
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 09:07PM by ursusminor.

Date: February 05, 2017 10:27PM

it did deflect in off a RPI player if thats really how the rule works.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2017 12:01AM

ursusminor
ugarte
andyw2100
marty
Scersk '97

Cui bono

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2017 12:03AM by ugarte.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2017 08:05AM

ursusminor
upprdeck

Out-of-sync or not, they still do a great job. Seeing their cameras and comparing to what I've seen of ours, we need to upgrade. I have to think that some of the quality issues are due to that. Anybody know more about cameras?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2017 08:39AM

Jim Hyla
ursusminor
upprdeck

Out-of-sync or not, they still do a great job. Seeing their cameras and comparing to what I've seen of ours, we need to upgrade. I have to think that some of the quality issues are due to that. Anybody know more about cameras?

I also think some of it has to do with the better camera angles they are able to get at Houston vs. Lynah. We've had the suggestion to put cameras in the rafters at Lynah, and I'd like to see that tried.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 06, 2017 09:12AM

they wont even spend the money to get replay cameras that have more than like 5 frames a second, not sure they will ever worry about the tv production cameras. most of the cell phones in the bldg have better video capabilities.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2017 10:19AM

The lighting at Lynah has hotspots directly under each lamp, perhaps because they're so close to the ice.

It may also be that the the main game action camera(s?) are set to autoexposue and underexpose the feed. A camera or video camera is fooled by a light background, the ice, thinks it's not white but a very brightly lit neutral gray and so underexposes. When the ice level camera goes for a closeup, you see more uniform, goalie pads, red pants - things that aren't all white - and does a better job exposure-balancing.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2017 06:23PM

billhoward
The lighting at Lynah has hotspots directly under each lamp, perhaps because they're so close to the ice.

It may also be that the the main game action camera(s?) are set to autoexposue and underexpose the feed. A camera or video camera is fooled by a light background, the ice, thinks it's not white but a very brightly lit neutral gray and so underexposes. When the ice level camera goes for a closeup, you see more uniform, goalie pads, red pants - things that aren't all white - and does a better job exposure-balancing.

Whenever I watch ILDN i've noticed that our home games have a pretty white ice surface, yet roughly the top half of the picture (which includes about 1/3 the ice width) is distinctly dimme. So action at the far side of the ice (away bench) is harder to make out than on the home bench side of the ice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login