Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hahvahd @ Cornell 01/27/17

Posted by Johnny 5 
Hahvahd @ Cornell 01/27/17
Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 07:17AM

Everybody ready?
Get your order in early!!

"LGR" cheer

Re: Hahvahd @ Cornell 01/27/17
Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 25, 2017 09:28AM

interesting that to buy Harvard tickets you need to buy a 4 game pack for $80..

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2017 10:11AM

upprdeck

I don't see anything wrong with that.

There are a lot of face-timers who don't really support the team, aren't all that interested in Cornell Hockey, and who only want to go to the Harvard game because it's the thing to do. Perhaps if they buy tickets for three other games, they'll go to some other games, or give the tickets away to friends who will attend. If this gets more butts into the seats at Lynah, I'm all for it.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2017 10:30AM

This is just the latest example of the Athletics admin trying to make up for lost revenue caused by their own greed/policies. If the ticket prices were brought back down to market rate then there wouldn't be any dam tickets (empty seats) to sell in the first place.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 11:03AM

Does Athletics use any rational algorithm to determine pricing? You would think event management was such a big sector that there must be tons of methods out there to determine the maximum revenue structure for ticket pricing. MBAs are "PhDs for C students," but doesn't somebody in a real field have tools that address this situation?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 11:03AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.108.---)
Date: January 25, 2017 11:44AM

upprdeck

This is really just Cornell catching up to the ticketing landscape in general. For years, MLB teams have jammed random Tuesday afternoon games (that typically wouldn't sell) into highly desirable plans like a Saturday plan.

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 11:52AM

Harvard tickets are usually offered on the secondary market (by students to other students) in excess of $100. If I were a current student without a Harvard student, I'd buy the $80 package in a heartbeat. Smart students will allow this to drive down the prices. It's a good thing.

Date: January 25, 2017 12:37PM

where is this secondary market of tickets that people are buying for $100?

students didnt even buy 75% of their tickets this year and havent for many years.

I dont really have a problem with the bundling but making it a 4 game package is a bit excessive.

Considering that just before xmas you could buy the Harvard ticket stand alone for $30 and they didnt sell many why would they expect $80 tickets to fly out the window?

Why not some alternative price scaling? Harvard for $50, 2 games for $60?

there are roughly 400+ tickets available right now for sat night just 2 days out.

what do they do when it gets to friday?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 01:15PM

upprdeck

there are roughly 400+ tickets available right now for sat night just 2 days out.

Do they do a Filene's basement? (Drop the price over time until you've moved all the inventory.) All my instincts tell me the A.D. isn't being greedy, but inept.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 01:15PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 01:16PM

If I remember correctly, in the past Harvard has bundled the CU game.

Posted by: CAS (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 01:21PM

Andy has overpriced hockey tickets. The goal should be to fill Lynah. The overpricing has led to both empty seats & reduced revenues.

Date: January 25, 2017 01:42PM

CAS
Andy has overpriced hockey tickets. The goal should be to fill Lynah. The overpricing has led to both empty seats & reduced revenues.

Empty seats, yes.

But how do you know reduced revenues?

Date: January 25, 2017 02:19PM

since they went to the box seats in the expansion, sell outs have gone away.

the waiting list is long gone less than 75% of the townie season tickets are now sold.

Revenue might have stay flat since prices went up so much but are they profiting as much from it?

the question will still be at what price point would they get back to even 90% of capacity? Im not sure even half price tickets would do that now.

Still the trend is less season tickets sold so price has to have something to do with it and there is no reward for buying season tickets like cheaper tickets or prices staying flat for some period of time.

Its the cash cow that has long left the building and they waited way to long to try and bar the door.

Posted by: CAS (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 02:29PM

Can anyone rationalize why single game ticket prices were increased this year?

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: January 25, 2017 03:23PM

CAS

Someone's gotta pay for the girls' polo team.

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 04:25PM

upprdeck
where is this secondary market of tickets that people are buying for $100?

students didnt even buy 75% of their tickets this year and havent for many years.

I dont really have a problem with the bundling but making it a 4 game package is a bit excessive.

Considering that just before xmas you could buy the Harvard ticket stand alone for $30 and they didnt sell many why would they expect $80 tickets to fly out the window?

The Cornell Ticket Buy/Sell group on Facebook is where most students make exchanges now. I have several friends that were able to sell for $100 while I was there (class of 2014). Maybe that has changed, but there's still a ton of demand for Harvard ticket. This could also be because people just assume that the game is sold out and don't even check with Bartels. When I went a couple years back as an alum, I was able to get a Section B ticket for face value from the ticket office.

Posted by: Willy '06 (---.c3-0.nwb-ubr1.chi-nwb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 25, 2017 04:35PM

CU2007
CAS

Nope. [ithaconomy.com]

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-70-198-51.myvzw.com)
Date: January 25, 2017 04:54PM

I used to be a big believer that ticket prices are too high. They still are, probably, but I also think there are a bunch of kids who can afford season tickets but then just don't make the games a priority.

This is based off of one freshman that I know, so clearly my data set is sufficiently large to draw conclusions.

Date: January 25, 2017 04:57PM

Willy '06
CU2007
CAS

Nope. [ithaconomy.com]

Thanks for finding that. I thought it was self-funded, but with a quick search, I didn't see it.

After all, we need true facts and not alternative facts, around here.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 05:27PM

Dafatone
I used to be a big believer that ticket prices are too high. They still are, probably, but I also think there are a bunch of kids who can afford season tickets but then just don't make the games a priority.
Of course. But the goal isn't to get every last person at Cornell interested in hockey--it's to fill the stadium. I think season tickets are a downward-sloping demand curve like most other goods. When I was a student I knew a few people who would have bought season tickets if they were cheaper and instead just went to a few games a year.

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 08:13PM

Wouldn't there be more sellouts if the team were better? They haven't been a regular national power for several years.

Beat Harvard on Friday. They suck.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 10:16PM

cornell sold out for years when they were not very good . demand has dropped and prices have gone way up..

Posted by: A-19 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 10:54PM

maybe if they went back to the days where you actually had to spend time and effort to wait in line for season tickets, you'd get more committed fans who actually attend games. the easier you make it to get tickets, the less likely it is that the people who get them deserve them/want them/show

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-70-198-51.myvzw.com)
Date: January 25, 2017 11:10PM

I used to be in the camp that thought prices were everything, but I'm coming around to the idea that the line had merit.

Granted, my two years of season tickets were just after the line, having won out at the lynah entrance trample-a-thon in 05-06 and in the first lottery after that.

Sadly, I fear the line is never coming back. Apparently kids are supposed to go to class.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 26, 2017 12:14AM

This is a few hundred seats we're talking about here. Just lower the damn prices.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2017 04:22AM

The Line is among my favorite memories of Cornell, and as a freshman it was something that really helped my bond with other hockey fans and with the identity of the Lynah Faithful.

Date: January 26, 2017 07:04AM

As I've mentioned before, I think that a large part of the non-attendance by students issue is millennial.
There are so many digital ways to capture their attention, a 2 1/2 hour, live action hockey game just can't compete.
Just look at the latest NBA discussions about shortening events because kids' attention spans are so limited.
Yes, I've marveled of late about the number of students who are texting on their phones throughout much, if not most of any given game.
You combine that with a team that hasn't been as competitive as it was back in the days of "the line", ticket prices that only seem to rise, and it's little wonder that many seats are bare.

Oh, and they can't write in cursive anymore, either.
And, what's with the "man-bun" !?

Never mind,...."LGR"!!
cheer

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: January 26, 2017 07:28AM

At the Princeton game, there were a couple of young women - obviously students - sitting next to us who were on break, They said that the reason they even bothered to come to the game was that we were ranked 19th in the polls! (Isn't that great?)

I didn't have the heart to tell them that we were 15th in the Pairwise (at the time) and the polls don't matter.

And like the others, I loved my time camping out in the line.

Date: January 26, 2017 07:35AM

Johnny 5
As I've mentioned before, I think that a large part of the non-attendance by students issue is millennial.
There are so many digital ways to capture their attention, a 2 1/2 hour, live action hockey game just can't compete.
Just look at the latest NBA discussions about shortening events because kids' attention spans are so limited.
Yes, I've marveled of late about the number of students who are texting on their phones throughout much, if not most of any given game.
You combine that with a team that hasn't been as competitive as it was back in the days of "the line", ticket prices that only seem to rise, and it's little wonder that many seats are bare.

Never mind,...."LGR"!!
cheer

And even NASCAR is changing to try and renew interest. They're breaking up their 4-500 mile runs into 3 shorter ones. It's the times more than anything else.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-145.myvzw.com)
Date: January 26, 2017 07:55AM

Jim Hyla
Johnny 5

Never mind,...."LGR"!!
cheer

And even NASCAR is changing to try and renew interest. They're breaking up their 4-500 mile runs into 3 shorter ones. It's the times more than anything else.

And the Albany Devils are moving to Binghamton partially due to falling attendance. (How might this affect Brady?)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 08:13AM by marty.

Date: January 26, 2017 09:44AM

BearLover
This is a few hundred seats we're talking about here. Just lower the damn prices.

its more than a few hundred seats..

its around 500 of the townie seats and who knows how many of the student sections which are vastly more empty than ever but who knows how many are sold and no one comes versus not sold at all..

price fixes some of it, but it needs to more than just lower the price for some. They need to reward the people who buy the season tickets so the incentive to not cherry pick single games is there as easily.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2017 10:01AM

marty
Jim Hyla
Johnny 5

Never mind,...."LGR"!!
cheer

And the Albany Devils are moving to Binghamton partially due to falling attendance. (How might this affect Brady?)

Hockey pucks don't need to be inflated. (Unless, by "Brady", you meant "Grady", in which case, I don't know.)

Posted by: marty (104.129.194.---)
Date: January 26, 2017 10:05AM

ACM
marty
Jim Hyla
Johnny 5

Never mind,...."LGR"!!
cheer

Hockey pucks don't need to be inflated. (Unless, by "Brady", you meant "Grady", in which case, I don't know.)

Yes, this was a brain decaffeinated phone posting. I did indeed mean Grady. I was also going to edit the post because it occurred to me that this could also mean a lower probability of NCAA Regional hockey in Albany.

I hope not.bang

Date: January 26, 2017 10:23AM

marty
ACM
marty
Jim Hyla
Johnny 5

Never mind,...."LGR"!!
cheer

Yes, this was a brain decaffeinated phone posting. I did indeed mean Grady. I was also going to edit the post because it occurred to me that this could also mean a lower probability of NCAA Regional hockey in Albany.

I hope not.bang

That'd be a shame ... Truly a great place for a tourney whether it be a regional or the ECAC's. I imagine they will pick up a team - probably ECHL, UHL, etc. Team locations/ affiliations/ etc have been shifting a lot of late, but Albany is a city that should always have a team (Yes, I'm biased as I grew up nearby)

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2017 01:55PM

CU2007
marty
ACM
marty
Jim Hyla
Johnny 5

Never mind,...."LGR"!!
cheer

I hope not.bang

That'd be a shame ... Truly a great place for a tourney whether it be a regional or the ECAC's. I imagine they will pick up a team - probably ECHL, UHL, etc. Team locations/ affiliations/ etc have been shifting a lot of late, but Albany is a city that should always have a team (Yes, I'm biased as I grew up nearby)

They'll only have a team if people support it; seemingly the Devils did not receive sufficient support.

Date: January 26, 2017 02:15PM

scoop85
CU2007
marty
ACM
marty
Jim Hyla
Johnny 5

Never mind,...."LGR"!!
cheer

I hope not.bang

They'll only have a team if people support it; seemingly the Devils did not receive sufficient support.

For an AHL team, probably true. Lower leagues require less support.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: January 26, 2017 02:42PM

Those are some lousy attendance numbers.

As a contrast, the Phantoms are averaging around 8,000. Of course, the team is only 3 years old and those may drop off as the novelty wears off. But they also have the advantage of being only an hour from the parent club. People from Philly do actually come up for the games.

Unlike the Devils where they don't get decent attendance for the parent club, never mind have their fans drive all the way up to Albany.

Posted by: marty (104.129.196.---)
Date: January 26, 2017 02:56PM

CU2007
scoop85
CU2007
marty
ACM
marty
Jim Hyla
Johnny 5

Never mind,...."LGR"!!
cheer

I hope not.bang

For an AHL team, probably true. Lower leagues require less support.

This drop off is similar to the ECAC tourney fizzle in Albany. It is a relatively small market with the Devils, Engineers and Dutchmen splitting the pie.starwars

Date: January 27, 2017 08:25AM

"GBR" banana

Posted by: Hooking (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 09:46AM

Moving from Albany to Binghamton involves moving from a big city with a steady influx of money (taxes) to a relatively small city which is increasingly depressed economically. Hockey attendance isn't particularly dependent upon city size or wealth. Consider Flin Flon.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.lib.albany.edu)
Date: January 27, 2017 05:34PM

I think the "Smalbany" joke is appropriate here... Despite its size Albany has a "small town" mentality and many people commute to the city from the outside suburbs or from nearby places like Saratoga Springs. Anyone who is familiar with the area knows what I'm talking about.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 05:34PM by Iceberg.

Date: January 27, 2017 05:44PM

crowd size will be interesting tonight.. no idea how the 4-pack sales went but it says sold out and no single game tickets are available on line.. looked at Dart. tickets and very few on the townie side are free. section o is gone so maybe they did well selling them this way?

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 09:06PM

Someone at the game wanna explain why they didn't review that "goal" around 12 minutes into the 3rd? What happened there? Hard to tell on ILDN if it was even close.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 09:14PM

LaJollaRed
Someone at the game wanna explain why they didn't review that "goal" around 12 minutes into the 3rd? What happened there? Hard to tell on ILDN if it was even close.

By my estimation, we got screwed.

Date: January 27, 2017 09:59PM

from our seats it looked like it went just inside the post and hit some post and net.. it had a muted sound and it came out soft and a funny angle as well.. the ref looked confused then waived it off..

why it wasnt reviewed makes no sense at all. 2-1 late in the game and to not even take a look is pretty shocking to me

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-70-198-42.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2017 10:02PM

upprdeck
from our seats it looked like it went just inside the post and hit some post and net.. it had a muted sound and it came out soft and a funny angle as well.. the ref looked confused then waived it off..

why it wasnt reviewed makes no sense at all. 2-1 late in the game and to not even take a look is pretty shocking to me

The ILDN feed made it look like it only caught net and boomeranged out.

Date: January 27, 2017 10:20PM

watching the ildn replay it looks like what i saw live from section O..

the puck hits the inside of the post/net deflected 2-3 inches hit the inside the net and the pops out.

slow mo you can what looks it changes direction again right after it deflects off the post and it starts to flutter as it comes back out.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2017 12:13AM

Dafatone
LaJollaRed

By my estimation, we got screwed.

Schafer and the coaching staff must have seen more conclusively that it wasn't in, as they didn't look upset at all when play continued, nor did they ever try to get the refs' attention to ask for a review.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2017 12:14AM by sah67.

Posted by: RichH (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: January 28, 2017 01:51AM

upprdeck
watching the ildn replay it looks like what i saw live from section O..

the puck hits the inside of the post/net deflected 2-3 inches hit the inside the net and the pops out.

slow mo you can what looks it changes direction again right after it deflects off the post and it starts to flutter as it comes back out.

Best I can tell by looking right at it real-time from Section O, the face of the puck hit squarely with the inside of the pipe. It definitely got iron, so it's hard to argue that it completely crossed the line. Helluva shot, though, and it could've been a game-changer.

Great game until it wasn't. The defense was so disciplined that they held that team to 10 shots through 2 periods, and four of those "shots" we're basically half-ice clears Gillam had to "save." Frustrating 3rd to say the least.

Date: January 28, 2017 07:12AM

When they came out like their butts were on fire in the first period we were all like, "Wow"! But, the general consensus was, "There's no way they can keep this up".
So, eventually in the third it goes, again, from aggressive fore and back checking to trying to stay in position and get a poke away or a rebound. The passes often miss their mark. The move up ice is slow and more pass/dump and less carry oriented. In a word, they look gassed.
Some more so than others. Vanderlaan and Angello, hang tough. But, it isn't enough and eventually the wheels come off.
The comment I hear over and over is that they just don't seem to have the stamina to keep it up for 60 minutes when faced with a tough opponent.
Is it a conditioning thing? Or, does a really good team just wear them down?

Too bad. I was starting to get hopeful about the Union game.
Now, can they rebound tonight against a really inferior Dartmouth squad??
Here's hoping.

drive

Date: January 28, 2017 08:51AM

when you watch it on ildn you see it change direction twice off the post. once goes left a few incges then left and down like it deflected off neting.. the other interesting part was that typically off a post the puck goes someplace when it deflects off the post. this one went down behind the goalie and fluttered.

postgame the coach said they didnt get a good look.

my issue would be it was obviously close, and the next delay was the ice cleaning delay which takes just about as long as a goal review anyway.. the refs got to together and talked too..

and it didnt ting like a post normally does, it was more a thunk sound like post and net at the same time..

Date: January 28, 2017 09:24AM

Was it depth or conditioning that ruined the evening?

Date: January 28, 2017 09:31AM

I think Harvard played better in the 3rd, still they got a ton of energy off 2 goals that just funky deflections both that went in off our D. then we pressed well down 2-1 and got what we thought was the goal to tie. after that we really pressed up and they got one nice pass for a break away and the empty netter.

Even in the end, Harvard for 2 periods had 10 shots and half of them came from outside the blue line. yhey are talented and if you give them space they will give you fits.

It did feel like we ran out of energy a bit late after 2 solid periods of effort.

Date: January 28, 2017 09:50AM

Still curious. Did the Cornell defense collapse on the net in the third period? Those deflections are often symptomatic.

Date: January 28, 2017 10:00AM

one deflection come from just inside the blue line and then deflected again on the way in. the other came on a shot broken stick change up that was shot wide and went in of someone else.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2017 10:51AM

Johnny 5
Now, can they rebound tonight against a really inferior Dartmouth squad??

Tonight's game is the more important game of the weekend. If we take care of business vs. teams that trail us in the standings, particularly Clarkson and Yale, the bye will be nigh.

I'd like to see us really take out our frustrations, via the scoreboard, on Gaudet and crew.

Date: January 28, 2017 11:11AM

still 3 games in hand on harvard but we lose that tie break so beating Dart and colgate is a must to have a shot at getting ahead of them .
3 games in hand on Quin too so tonight and colgate helps there too and we have a 3 pt lead on them
2 games in hand on Clarkson too, so again tonight and colgate and we have a 6 pt lead on them
1 game in hand on Yale so those 2 games and 5 pt lead on them.

thats for 4th place and not even catching harvard for3rd.

not all that crazy to get to 2nd, not sure catching union is happening without us almost running the table and them totally collapsing.

colg/cornell sweep tonight would be nice to see.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login