Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

The Next Two Weekends

Posted by Jim Hyla 
The Next Two Weekends
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2017 08:23AM

We should know a lot more after this weekend's games and even more so after weekend. Since we had an unfortunately weak OOC schedule, we only have the better ECAC teams to judge against better competition. The Q win was nice, but they aren't the same strong team, like in recent years and we lost to them at home. We were okay at Harvard, but we did lose. Beating SLU, and looking good while doing it, was encouraging, but we need to do well against Harvard this weekend and Union next weekend.

Winning both puts us in a very good territory. Splitting is okay, but 2 losses means we might get into NCAAs, but not likely to go far. And we can't have a let down on the following nights.

I've enjoyed this season, but I'm still not sure. These next 2 weekends will tell me a lot.

Re: The Next Two Weekends
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 23, 2017 09:32AM

I'm sure we will still have ups and downs. The wins against first Q and then SLU suggest to me that the floor for this team is now set as competitive for a bye. My lord I'd have taken that in October, when the TBRW prediction was 8th.

What we don't know is the ceiling, and really after the crash and burns of recent years we haven't had the luxury of even speculating in terms of ceilings.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2017 09:33AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Hooking (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 23, 2017 09:49AM

The best news is averaging nearly three goals a game, spread out among players. Defense is essential to winning, but teams averaging fewer than two goals per game, no matter how well they defend, seldom go far in the playoffs.

Date: January 23, 2017 09:57AM

Hooking
The best news is averaging nearly three goals a game, spread out among players. Defense is essential to winning, but teams averaging fewer than two goals per game, no matter how well they defend, seldom go far in the playoffs.

The Fiegl - Tschantz - {musical third} line looked very good this weekend. I think they will produce some offense that is essentially money for nothin'.

I saw Starrett playing with them a fair amount of time -- don't know if that was just uneven line changes or Mike shortening the bench.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2017 10:00AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 23, 2017 10:02AM

Not sure if +/- actually means anything but Yates (+7) is up there with the leading defensemen (McCrea +9, McCarron +7, Kaldis +6, Smith +6).

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2017 10:10AM

IMO, we are where we are because of balance throughout the lineup. And that includes contributions from the defense, particularly McCarron who has been terrific. In recent years if we went down a goal or two I had little confidence that we'd be able to rally. Not so this season.

That being said, we've won a lot of one-goal games, so the margin for error is pretty slim. But I am optimistic about our chances to have a successful final 11 games of the regular season, which to me would be something like 7-4.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2017 10:43AM

scoop85
That being said, we've won a lot of one-goal games, so the margin for error is pretty slim. But I am optimistic about our chances to have a successful final 11 games of the regular season, which to me would be something like 7-4.

Our losses are also all one-goal games, though, with the exception of the home Quinnipiac loss, which was 3-1.

We're playing a lot of close games!

Posted by: Iceberg (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: January 23, 2017 12:05PM

Well let's take a look at the opponents for the nexr four.

Harvard-at home and who knows how this game ends up

Dartmouth-always a problem and haven't lost at Lynah in over 3 seasons now

Union-great top line at a rink that has been a challenge in recent years

RPI-nightmare season but Cornell hasn't won there since 2011

These two weeks will certainly be a test.

Posted by: Swampy (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2017 10:04PM

andyw2100
scoop85

Our losses are also all one-goal games, though, with the exception of the home Quinnipiac loss, which was 3-1.

Wasn't Q's 3rd goal an ENG? If so, it should be discounted substantially.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 23, 2017 10:48PM

Swampy
andyw2100
scoop85

Wasn't Q's 3rd goal an ENG? If so, it should be discounted substantially.
No, but it was incredibly flukey--something like a pass from the corner that hit a Cornell player far away from any Q player and caromed into the net.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 24, 2017 10:02AM

kinda like clarksons 3rd goal. that was a pass never going in but we deflected it in.. it may have been a nice pass to set up a goal but we will never know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login