Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Remote Control Sieve Clarification

Posted by Chris '02 
Remote Control Sieve Clarification
Posted by: Chris '02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 10:01PM

There seems to be some confusion on how this exactly goes. I suppose everyone could do their own thing, but having everyone do the same thing makes for a greater effect.

So is it the usual skate,skate,turn,turn,skate,skate,stop,sweeeep, tap, tap,etc.. Then the opposing sieve usually will pause. This is where the confusion steps in. A lot of people start yelling bend over at this point and when the sieve does, everyone cheers loudy.

I advocate though, that we wait until the sieve actually begins to bend over and then yell "BEND OVER" followed by the loud "SUCK". Some of you probably hear this coming from the front of Section B where myself and a number of fellow friends/hockey fans have our spots. It seems that many people don't include the "SUCK" and are applauding for the sieve at this point.

Thoughts?

Re: Remote Control Sieve Clarification
Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 10:51PM

Having witnessed the chants at both ends of the ice (my regular seats are in H, but I've been around my old home in A several times), it seems that the purpose in B is different than the purpose in D.

Sections A-B tend to perform the traditional "remote control" by announcing/commanding the goaltender's neurotic routines. This includes any tapping, sweeping, drinking, etc. and ends in the "bend over". The "suck" is new this year (I think) and is indeed a funny addition. Not really much cheering in that variation. It's most powerful in pointing out many repetative habits of sieves. Can't wait until Clarkson's Shawn Walsh comes in...he was a mad tapper.

Sections D-F seem to care less about the remote control aspect and focuses much more on the bending over part. Probably because of it's vulgar connotations. Most of the time it's "Skate skate skate skate tuuuurrrrrn skate stop. C'mon BEND OVER!!! BEND OVER!!!!" until he does, even if there is a tapping routine. The instant the bend comes, there is loud cheering and sounds of glee that pour down from that side.

Not saying one style is better than the other, because they both are loud, and both probably have an effect on opponents...but it's interesting that 2 styles have evolved from the split student section. Just as I've sat in 2 different areas of the rink this year, I'm sure there is some migration between the split student sections, so the styles might intermingle among the split student sections, and that may be what you're hearing Chris. It's also interesting to note that D-F are the authors of the "ham sandwich" varient of the Mom cheer.

Just a reason why dividing the student section with the current Section C was a bad idea, imho. :-P

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 10:59PM

Errr...that's Clarkson's Mike Walsh.

(see how editing would help?) ;-)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 10:59PM

Rich Hovorka '96 wrote:

Can't wait until Clarkson's Shawn Walsh comes in...he was a mad tapper.
What? Brad Tapper? Not him AGAIN!

Oh, MAD tapper. :-D

Posted by: judy (---.hrb.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 07:36AM

No, "suck" not start this year. I remember doing it last year, and also "swallow!" but not a lot of people did that part.

Ah, Walsh, the mad tapper...I remember him...it was amazing how after EVERY stoppage in play, you see in there...taptaptaptaptaptaptap...

Posted by: LGR31 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 12:32PM

A couple of years ago there was a goalie on the other team that was teasing section A + B on the remote control sieve cheer...what team was that?

Posted by: judy (---.hrb.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 12:36PM

Maine!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login