Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

This Weekend at P & Q

Posted by Jim Hyla 
This Weekend at P & Q
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 08:04AM

I'm missing another weekend because of a cousins' death. This is the worst part of getting old.

So someone please bring newspapers and feel free to bring Snickers, especially if the band is coming. Anyone know?

Only 2 more away weekends and both are in NYS, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll talk to some of you on Chat, but hopefully we'll have good attendance both nights.

Re: This Weekend at P & Q
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 08:16AM

After resetting my Watched Teams on my CHN App (I reset them each day so that I get updates on each ECAC game.), an interesting stat for tonight showed up. Each of the top 6 teams is playing a bottom 6 team. I wonder how often that's happened?

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 08:32AM

I'll be at the game tonight. It should be a good crowd in Princeton.

Posted by: drs48 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 08:41AM

.....me too.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: January 13, 2017 10:30AM

Count me in

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 10:40AM

Jim Hyla
After resetting my Watched Teams on my CHN App (I reset them each day so that I get updates on each ECAC game.), an interesting stat for tonight showed up. Each of the top 6 teams is playing a bottom 6 team. I wonder how often that's happened?

.5 ^ 5, I think. (i.e., once every 32 times all 12 teams play, or very roughly about once every 2 years).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 10:58AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 13, 2017 10:49AM

Cornell at Princeton is about the middle of the tightness by league record:

.220 Cgt .357 @ Qpc .577
.299 Clk .611 @ Yal .312
.351 Cor .643 @ Prn .292
.475 Drt .375 @ Uni .850
.550 SLU .800 @ Brn .250
.742 Hvd .833 @ RPI .091
.439 mean

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 10:54AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 13, 2017 10:53AM

Saturday's games are much tighter:
.017 Hvd .833 @ Uni .850
.065 Cgt .357 @ Prn .292
.066 Cor .643 @ Qpc .577
.284 Drt .375 @ RPI .091
.361 Clk .611 @ Brn .250
.488 SLU .800 @ Yal .312
.213 mean

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 10:55AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 13, 2017 03:52PM

Travelers beware: ice storms predicted for the overnight to the south of Princeton, but it will only take a few degrees swing to bring them up there. Drive safely, everyone.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 03:52PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.princeton.org)
Date: January 13, 2017 09:18PM

That was some kind of game. Cornell dominated the 1st period and was able to play well enough the rest of the way.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 09:19PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 09:28PM

some pretty solid play in the first.. too many dumb penalties in the 2nd..

had control of the game for the most part.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 09:31PM

Solid win. Malott gone in the second half of the game, after the hat trick. Anybody see an injury?

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 09:43PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

.5 ^ 5, I think. (i.e., once every 32 times all 12 teams play, or very roughly about once every 2 years).
(6/11) x (5/9) x (4/7) x (3/5) x (2/3) = 16/231, approx. 6.9%
#1 team has a 6/11 chance of playing a bottom 6 opponent, then, if true, #2 team has 5/9 chance, etc.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 10:47PM

Very nice first period by Cornell. Allowed Princeton to do no scoring damage the rest of the way. Cornell took too many penalties in the third period (4 vs. 1 for Princeton). I worried that someone would get tossed and miss the Quinnipiac game Saturday. Box score: [www.goprincetontigers.com]

Box score says attendance 2232. No mean feat when rink capacity is stated as 2092, and there were 250 (at least) empty seats.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2017 11:33PM

billhoward

Box score says attendance 2232. No mean feat when rink capacity is stated as 2092, and there were 250 (at least) empty seats.

Obviously they were including the players... :)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 14, 2017 06:45AM

Nice to have a (reasonably) comfortable win at Princeton for a change, although that was definitely the chippiest game I've seen in quite a while. I kept thinking Freschi was going to get tossed.

We were clearly the better team, but those ticky-tack penalties in the third made it more scary than it had to be. I'm not sure they were all legit, but frankly, we seemed a little out of control. If we do that tonight, we lose.

And according to Adam's post game report, Malott said it wasn't a serious injury, but the trainer was being safe.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2017 07:24AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2017 10:53AM

cant be that many kids who get their first goals as part of a natural hat trick. although i cant remember if its still natural if another team scores during the run..
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2017 10:54AM by upprdeck.

Date: January 14, 2017 12:05PM

upprdeck
cant be that many kids who get their first goals as part of a natural hat trick. although i cant remember if its still natural if another team scores during the run..

According to Wikipedia, three straight uninterrupted by either team.

Date: January 14, 2017 06:36PM

Some of the stuff I filmed from last night. All three of Malott's goals as well as the empty-netter at the end. It's really amazing how much different it is being there in person rather than hearing the (meh in this case) broadcast.

1st Malott goal

2nd Malott goal

3rd Malott goal

Last 2 minutes

Date: January 14, 2017 06:48PM

Video of the Q game here:

[quinnipiacbobcats.com]

Not sure, but it may be free.

Anyone know if this is available somehow on Roku?

Edit: Answered my own question. It looks like it is available on Roku on "The American Digital Network."

Edit 2: Maybe not.

Edit 3: Feed seems to be free. Can't find it on Roku.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2017 06:53PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 14, 2017 07:05PM

Iceberg
Some of the stuff I filmed from last night. All three of Malott's goals as well as the empty-netter at the end. It's really amazing how much different it is being there in person rather than hearing the (meh in this case) broadcast.

1st Malott goal

2nd Malott goal

3rd Malott goal

Last 2 minutes
Great videos. But I actually thought the Princeton announcer was good--fundamentally sound and strong hockey knowledge, while being fair to both sides despite his team having been the dregs of the ECAC the past few seasons.

Date: January 14, 2017 07:06PM

I hear the band now but where were they last night? >_>

Date: January 14, 2017 07:12PM

What a joke. Cornell dominates first five minutes incl. Kubiak goal, Buckles takes completely needless penalty while Cornell has possession and is entering Q zone, Q immediately ties it up on PP.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2017 07:14PM by BearLover.

Date: January 14, 2017 07:25PM

Now Cornell goal disallowed for no reason. This will be the game we look back on when Cornell misses the NCAAs by 1 game.

Date: January 14, 2017 07:36PM

It's obvious what Q is trying to do here, but Cornell isn't getting any real long passes up the ice. Most of this game has been in the neutral zone.

Date: January 14, 2017 07:53PM

BearLover
Now Cornell goal disallowed for no reason.
Looked like he directed it in. I wasn't surprised it was waved, but it could have gone the other way.

This game is not for the faint of heart. VERY even.

Date: January 14, 2017 08:36PM

Trotsky
BearLover
Now Cornell goal disallowed for no reason.
Looked like he directed it in. I wasn't surprised it was waved, but it could have gone the other way.
Skating at full speed on a bang-bang play? Reflexes that good would require some magical properties.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2017 09:26PM

Pull it out anyway. I only watched the third but what an amazing defensive period. A couple of offensive chances too but Q had no space and barely had possession even though they spent almost 4 minutes with 6 skaters and half of that time was 6x4. Gillam barely needed to be there in the third but what little opportunities Q generated, they were swallowed up. He only allowed maybe one dangerous rebound.

Sweet win, 4 point road weekend.

Date: January 14, 2017 09:28PM

BearLover
Now Cornell goal disallowed for no reason. This will be the game we look back on when Cornell misses the NCAAs by 1 game.
...and ask, "Why didn't Cornell play like that every game?"

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2017 09:29PM

BearLover

Not hardly. It must be hard to always have a negative approach.

Face it, we played well this weekend. Not that it means we'll win at LP or get into NCAA's, but it was nice to watch.

Date: January 14, 2017 09:32PM

Jim Hyla
BearLover

Face it, we played well this weekend. Not that it means we'll win at LP or get into NCAA's, but it was nice to watch.
I've already poked fun at my own negativity, you're too late. Anyway, not a negative approach, just a realistic one. I'm well aware Cornell played its best game of the season tonight (which was why I was screaming at the refs, not the team (though they did take a series of terrible penalties)).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2017 09:32PM by BearLover.

Date: January 14, 2017 09:33PM

BearLover
BearLover
lol

Date: January 14, 2017 09:37PM

This was a really nice win. Cornell completes a stretch of 7 ECAC games out of 9 on the road with a record of 6-2-1. They are 5-1-1 on the road in conference. That's pretty freaking good.

Welcome home, lads. Ya done good.

Date: January 14, 2017 09:39PM

And at this moment, we're back to 12.

Date: January 14, 2017 09:45PM

BearLover
Jim Hyla
BearLover

I've already poked fun at my own negativity, you're too late. Anyway, not a negative approach, just a realistic one. I'm well aware Cornell played its best game of the season tonight (which was why I was screaming at the refs, not the team (though they did take a series of terrible penalties)).

It's hardly realistic when you had us lamenting before the game ended.

Yes, you had to do something about what you posted, but face it, your posts are generally complaints.

Date: January 14, 2017 09:58PM

Jim Hyla
BearLover
Jim Hyla
BearLover

It's hardly realistic when you had us lamenting before the game ended.

Yes, you had to do something about what you posted, but face it, your posts are generally complaints.
Cornell has missed the NCAAs by one game two of the past three years. In both of those years I can point to at least one game that is etched into my mind in which a bad call or an awful penalty cost us the win. Those things happen in hockey, and luck goes both ways (I think Cornell has been more lucky than unlucky this year overall, for instance)--but the point I was making was that tonight was this year's that game.

But then we won. Obviously the initial post looks kind of silly now, and I agree that I am on the negative side these days more often than not, but that's what the last four seasons have done to me. Look through my history and you'll see that I was far more optimistic pre-2013. I think that was warranted then, and I think some amount of pessimism is warranted now. I think I speak for the majority of recent graduates who have been frustrated with the program the past few seasons, and we aren't particularly well-represented on here compared to a lot of other folks I tend to think are a little bit too complacent.

Anyway, I'm incredibly happy with how we played tonight, happy Schafer got his 400th, happy we got our revenge on Q. Hopefully a few more weekends like this and I'll start going into games expecting good things to happen instead of bad.

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2017 10:06PM

Pretty much every loss this year has been "that game" though. It's to everyone's own view whether the Merrimack game or the Colorado College game will be the one that is cried over at the end. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. We've actually been a decent possession team this year, and though our PDO is sky high, Gillam may be capable of securing the wins even as our shooting percentage comes back down to earth.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.121.---)
Date: January 14, 2017 10:52PM

Iceberg
It was an alumni band at Q tonight, as Cornell is still on winter break. I spoke with a few of them, and they told me Princeton was reluctant to allow an alumni pep band instead of a student pep band. The band members also said it was easier to get alumns to agree to drive to Q for a Saturday night game then to drive down to Princeton, especially since the Princeton game was on a Friday night, meaning band alums who were working would have had trouble getting to a 7 p.m. game.
In any case, it was great to have the band there and they sounded excellent, especially considering this particular group of musicians didn't have a chance to practice together.

Date: January 14, 2017 10:55PM

Best winning percentage in D-1:
1. .864 Penn State
2. .739 Union
3. .719 Cornell
   .719 Harvard
5. .717 Lowell
I got zero fucking complaints.

Date: January 14, 2017 11:21PM

Jim Hyla
And at this moment, we're back to 12.

Up to 11 at 11:20 PM.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2017 06:01AM

Trotsky
1. .864 Penn State
2. .739 Union
3. .719 Cornell
   .719 Harvard
5. .717 Lowell
And with seven of nine league games played on the road.

Date: January 15, 2017 07:23AM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
1. .864 Penn State
2. .739 Union
3. .719 Cornell
   .719 Harvard
5. .717 Lowell
And with seven of nine league games played on the road.

According to CHN, our four home games this season is the fewest in the country.

Back to Lynah. Let's get it done.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2017 07:36AM

But team sos is only 31st.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2017 06:30PM by abmarks.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2017 08:43PM

dbilmes
Iceberg
It was an alumni band at Q tonight, as Cornell is still on winter break. I spoke with a few of them, and they told me Princeton was reluctant to allow an alumni pep band instead of a student pep band. The band members also said it was easier to get alumns to agree to drive to Q for a Saturday night game then to drive down to Princeton, especially since the Princeton game was on a Friday night, meaning band alums who were working would have had trouble getting to a 7 p.m. game.
In any case, it was great to have the band there and they sounded excellent, especially considering this particular group of musicians didn't have a chance to practice together.

Thanks for stopping by. Much of the alumni (and offspring) band were people who live in the NYC-CT-BOS corridor, with a few coming in from Ithaca, and for me it was an honor to be able to play again with such a talented group. We stuck around to play a few post-game songs outside the arena while the traffic cluster was working its way through the stupidity of having a one-road-in-one-road-out situation.

It's telling that originally Quinnipiac's band wasn't scheduled to be there, but when word got out that we would be there, they managed to get together a group and made a good showing. It's still a damn shame that these rinks insist on making sure recorded pop music finds it's place when you have two bands eager to perform, effectively killing atmosphere. I understand that the multitude of corporate BMW, Mercedes, & Bank advertisements were paid, but let the live music shine, ECAC staffs.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2017 09:01PM by RichH.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2017 09:00PM

BearLover
BearLover

See, here's the thing, even as one of the eLF optimists: I wasn't blown away by the win. Translate that, it was a good win, but it wasn't pretty. I felt we locked it down by the skin of out teeth. The 2nd period was where CU really asserted their game-plan, and I was really surprised by the shot total after the 2nd. It's not often a team with the puck-possession pedigree of Quinnipiac gets held to 12 shots through 2. And the shot-attempts gap between the two after the 2nd was huge. The most frustrating thing for me was the number of offside calls Cornell committed. A ton.

That 6x4 was a terrifying clinic in how to set-up and release a barrage of one-timers, but big kudos to our positioning. On the other side, QU really did a great job in blocking all of our usual shooting lanes when we were on the PP in the 2nd. The winning goal was a result of finally getting some action in close.

All that said, what a great night in the fallout shelter. A good, entertaining hockey game with a great result. First RS win vs. QU since Feb. '14.

And I dream of headlines like this one on CHN: "Cornell Earns Big Win, (sub-head) Harvard Shut Down Again."

Date: January 16, 2017 12:51AM

RichH
BearLover
BearLover

See, here's the thing, even as one of the eLF optimists: I wasn't blown away by the win. Translate that, it was a good win, but it wasn't pretty. I felt we locked it down by the skin of out teeth. The 2nd period was where CU really asserted their game-plan, and I was really surprised by the shot total after the 2nd. It's not often a team with the puck-possession pedigree of Quinnipiac gets held to 12 shots through 2. And the shot-attempts gap between the two after the 2nd was huge. The most frustrating thing for me was the number of offside calls Cornell committed. A ton.

That 6x4 was a terrifying clinic in how to set-up and release a barrage of one-timers, but big kudos to our positioning. On the other side, QU really did a great job in blocking all of our usual shooting lanes when we were on the PP in the 2nd. The winning goal was a result of finally getting some action in close.

All that said, what a great night in the fallout shelter. A good, entertaining hockey game with a great result. First RS win vs. QU since Feb. '14.

And I dream of headlines like this one on CHN: "Cornell Earns Big Win, (sub-head) Harvard Shut Down Again."
Well, outshooting a good team 31-20 in their building is impressive any way you slice it. Our defense stymied their attack almost without fail. We skated with them, cycled the puck, and created quality chances. Gillam saw the puck well and gave up few rebounds. It was an all-around strong effort.

The offsides were frustrating, but the penalties were almost difficult to fathom. At least half of them were during/immediately after the faceoff or while we controlled the puck--which is to say, over half of our penalties were completely preventable with better discipline. That 6-on-4 shooting gallery only happened because we were gassed from killing a series of dumb penalties at the end. I think that's about as good a game as we can expect them to play against a team like Q on the road, especially given that it could have been 3-1 if not for the disallowed goal.

Date: January 16, 2017 08:52AM

BearLover
RichH
That 6-on-4 shooting gallery only happened because we were gassed from killing a series of dumb penalties at the end.
These two quotes back to back are a decent way of saying "this is why you don't shout "SHOOOOOOT." I mean, I still do, but it isn't a shooting lane if there's a guy there to block the shots, and our guys were consistently there to block shots.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 16, 2017 11:29AM

IIRC, the 1967 champion team had a ton of offsides calls from the time they arrived on campus until they won the NC. But over time, as they played together and got better with their timing, it seemed the frequency of offsides calls went down while the frequency of scores increased.

Perhaps someone has statistics to confirm this geezer's memory.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: January 18, 2017 12:12PM

BearLover
Great videos. But I actually thought the Princeton announcer was good--fundamentally sound and strong hockey knowledge, while being fair to both sides despite his team having been the dregs of the ECAC the past few seasons.

I agree, in spite of the odd pronunciations all over the place: an-GELL-o. Vahnderlahhhn.

Date: January 18, 2017 01:06PM

RichH
I agree, in spite of the odd pronunciations all over the place: an-GELL-o. Vahnderlahhhn.

Local area Italian says that is the typical way to pronounce Angello, although Anthony pronounces it differently.

I thought Vanderlaan actually sounds more authentic as "lon" than "lan," but at least it's not the Long Island pronunciation. :-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2017 01:07PM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login