Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2017-18 Schedule

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2017-18 Schedule
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 01, 2017 11:42AM

With the early exhibition games, we may not have a Red/White game.

Unfortunately a lousy OOC schedule. We'd better do well in conference.

Attached is the full ECAC schedule.

Sat 10/14 Guelph
Sun 10/15 Ottawa

Fri 10/27 UAH 
Sat 10/28 UAH 
Fri 11/03 @ Quinnipiac
Sat 11/04 @ Princeton
Fri 11/10 Dartmouth
Sat 11/11 Harvard
Fri 11/17 St. Lawrence
Sat 11/18 Clarkson
Tue 11/21 Niagara   ESPN 3
Sat 11/25 BU @ MSG
Fri 12/01 @ Miami 
Sat 12/02 @ Miami 

Sat 12/30 Canisius

Fri  1/05 Princeton
Sat  1/06 Quinnipiac  ESPN3
Fri  1/12 @ Yale
Sat  1/13 @ Brown  ESPN3
Fri  1/19 Colgate
Sat  1/20 @Colgate
Fri  1/26 @ Harvard  ESPN 3
Sat  1/27 @ Dartmouth
Fri  2/02 Union
Sat  2/03 Rensselaer
Fri  2/09 @ Clarkson
Sat  2/10 @ St. Lawrence
Fri  2/16 Brown
Sat  2/17 Yale
Fri  2/23 @ Rensselaer
Sat  2/24 @ Union

Fri  3/02-Sun 3/04 ECAC Prelims
Fri  3/09-Sun 3/11 ECAC Quarterfinals
Fri  3/16 ECAC Semi-Finals @ Lake Placid
Sat  3/17 ECAC Finals @ Lake Placid

Fri  3/23-Sun 3/25 NCAA Regionals @ Bridgeport, Sioux Falls, Worcester, Allentown

Thu  4/05 NCAA Semi-Finals @ Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN
Sat  4/07 NCAA Finals @ Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 01:14PM by Jim Hyla.

Attachments:
open | download - ECAC 2017-18 Men's Schedule.pdf (181.2 KB)
Re: 2017-18 Schedule
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2017 02:08PM

Brutal final few weeks. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2017 02:32PM

Trotsky
Brutal final few weeks. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.

Yeah, those ECAC and NCAA playoffs are brutal.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2017 12:57AM

Is Harvard refusing to go to Troy next year? rolleyes

Date: January 02, 2017 02:36AM

ursusminor
They'll go on a different date, since obviously they have that weekend reserved to lose the first round of the Bean Pot.

Date: January 02, 2017 05:10AM

Trotsky
ursusminor
They'll go on a different date, since obviously they have that weekend reserved to lose the first round of the Bean Pot.
I realize that, and it says that at the top of the file. I wonder why we seem to be the ones to have to do that so often. It was also RPI this year. I guess if they moved Union instead of RPI, they would have even less of an alibi for losing in the Bean Pot.

Jim,
I assume that this schedule is now public knowledge and you have no problem with it being linked elsewhere. I posted it on the RPI thread on USCHO.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 05:12AM by ursusminor.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2017 07:18AM

ursusminor
Trotsky
ursusminor
I realize that, and it says that at the top of the file. I wonder why we seem to be the ones to have to do that so often. It was also RPI this year. I guess if they moved Union instead of RPI, they would have even less of an alibi for losing in the Bean Pot.

Jim,
I assume that this schedule is now public knowledge and you have no problem with it being linked elsewhere. I posted it on the RPI thread on USCHO.

You're correct.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2017 09:48AM

Why are there league games at Lynah during the Winter Break?

Date: January 02, 2017 11:13AM

Iceberg
My guess is we've just lucked out recently.

Date: January 02, 2017 11:55AM

Iceberg

That's happened before and the ticket office has asked for donation of tickets that aren't going to be used. I know at least some have been given to area kids teams.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.108.---)
Date: January 03, 2017 01:42PM

Is going back to the Florida tournament confirmed for December 2017?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 03, 2017 01:53PM

CU2007
Is going back to the Florida tournament confirmed for December 2017?
They usually announce the next field at the close of the tourney. Did they not do that?

Posted by: cufan (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2017 02:29PM

The Florida Tourney is very much in doubt. Heard the rumors upon arrival and talked with Trent Ferguson, Director of Sales. His answer to the question concerning the tourney next year was "To be determined".
Attendance was way down, much less than the announced since I suspect that they were counting the season ticket sales. For Cornell game I would guess under 2000 the first night and the second game "crowd" could be counted in the hundreds. Arena GM Craig Brush (Cornell '70), prime mover of this tourney is nearing retirement and no one seems to have the fire to carry on.
SIGH!

Date: January 03, 2017 02:41PM

cufan
The Florida Tourney is very much in doubt. Heard the rumors upon arrival and talked with Trent Ferguson, Director of Sales. His answer to the question concerning the tourney next year was "To be determined".
Attendance was way down, much less than the announced since I suspect that they were counting the season ticket sales. For Cornell game I would guess under 2000 the first night and the second game "crowd" could be counted in the hundreds. Arena GM Craig Brush (Cornell '70), prime mover of this tourney is nearing retirement and no one seems to have the fire to carry on.
SIGH!
It's had a very good run, I wouldn't sigh too hard, particularly if it has hurt us more than helped over all.

But if they hold one more I guess I gotta go. I've never been to it. Maybe that's the problem, I'm still 11-1 in Hanover. :)

Posted by: wakester2468 (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2017 08:58AM

In the getting way ahead of myself department, wondering if there is any update for the 2017-2018 schedule. The ECAC schedule which generally flips from the previous year I
imagine is pretty much all set. Just speculation, I suspect the Florida tournament will not continue. This increases the out of conference schedule to seven games hopefully
within travel distance. I would think we are obligated to travel to Miami(Ohio) for two and if staying with tradition, MSG with BU is likely. Thus, this leaves four games to be determined. Any inside info from anyone would be appreciated.

Date: March 07, 2017 09:12AM

I suspect the alternative to FL will be playing musical chairs every year trying to get into other tournaments, and scheduling more AH opponents for the years we fail.

I'd much rather keep FL and try to jazz it up. Find a perennial top tier (NoDak, BC, Minny) co-host for stability. Have a standing invite for the US major junior team as a warm up for their tourney. Full frontal nudity and chimps. Something.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 09:13AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: March 07, 2017 11:13AM

Trotsky
I suspect the alternative to FL will be playing musical chairs every year trying to get into other tournaments, and scheduling more AH opponents for the years we fail.

I'd much rather keep FL and try to jazz it up. Find a perennial top tier (NoDak, BC, Minny) co-host for stability. Have a standing invite for the US major junior team as a warm up for their tourney. Full frontal nudity and chimps. Something.

Bread and circuses?

Date: March 07, 2017 12:35PM

I would strongly suggest if the Florida tourney is eliminated that CU attempt to host a tourney of their own at Lynah. An argument against might be a potential lack of attendance while students are away for the holidays. A reduced price for these games would potentially offset it buy appealing to more locals especially kids who might get the chance to attend. Season ticket holders could be charged a lower rate. Season ticket packages for students could be bought either with or without these games. Seems like a no brainer. Pretty sure the allure of playing at Lynah would help draw in top tier hockey schools who otherwise you wouldn't see during either semester. Would be nice to see other programs in Ithaca for a change. Several years ago Cornell hosted such an event but not sure why it was discontinued. Best bet is it had something to do with the almighty $. Not sure what the financial arrangement was for Florida trips but I would think this would be better. Lastly, only having 13 home games this year is just too few. Any thoughts?

Date: March 07, 2017 12:57PM

wakester2468
I would strongly suggest if the Florida tourney is eliminated that CU attempt to host a tourney of their own at Lynah. An argument against might be a potential lack of attendance while students are away for the holidays. A reduced price for these games would potentially offset it buy appealing to more locals especially kids who might get the chance to attend. Season ticket holders could be charged a lower rate. Season ticket packages for students could be bought either with or without these games. Seems like a no brainer. Pretty sure the allure of playing at Lynah would help draw in top tier hockey schools who otherwise you wouldn't see during either semester. Would be nice to see other programs in Ithaca for a change. Several years ago Cornell hosted such an event but not sure why it was discontinued. Best bet is it had something to do with the almighty $. Not sure what the financial arrangement was for Florida trips but I would think this would be better. Lastly, only having 13 home games this year is just too few. Any thoughts?

Let's see, the allure of playing at Lynah in December right after Christmas with no students, so no atmosphere.

That, by itself ought to have teams just willing to pay CU for the opportunity.

Sorry for being so mean, but I just don't see it.

Also, in regards to your other post, if you go back to my first post, I had attached the full ECAC schedule. So yes, it's set, all but travel partners.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2017 01:32PM

wakester2468
Several years ago Cornell hosted such an event but not sure why it was discontinued.

When did Cornell host a tournament at Lynah?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2017 01:35PM

andyw2100
wakester2468
Several years ago Cornell hosted such an event but not sure why it was discontinued.

It certainly wasn't during the winter holidays - we've been playing/hosting the tourney in Estero since 2000.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 07, 2017 01:47PM

Beeeej
andyw2100
wakester2468

It certainly wasn't during the winter holidays - we've been playing/hosting the tourney in Estero since 2000.

Right.

I actually don't remember Cornell hosting a tournament like that since I've been following Cornell hockey (1982), but I've also been shown that my memory is not perfect, so I am open to hearing about something I may have forgotten.

Date: March 07, 2017 02:08PM

andyw2100
Beeeej
andyw2100
wakester2468

Right.

I actually don't remember Cornell hosting a tournament like that since I've been following Cornell hockey (1982), but I've also been shown that my memory is not perfect, so I am open to hearing about something I may have forgotten.

Two two-year runs: 59-60 and 77-78.

Date: March 07, 2017 02:16PM

Trotsky
andyw2100
Beeeej
andyw2100
wakester2468

Right.

Two two-year runs: 59-60 and 77-78.

So not exactly "several years ago." :)

Date: March 07, 2017 02:38PM

So according to Merriam Webster, much to my dismay, you are correct. Several is more than a few but less than many. However, showing my age, I was at the Christmas tournament
in the late 70's. I would be curious to see the breakdown of the student to non student at games the past few years. I'm not implying that the place would be sold out by any means.
However, with reduced pricing for seniors, youth and for that matter giving season ticket holders a break for once, it would certainly be better than what we have seen in Fla.
So give it a try for one year. What the hell do you have to lose? Two more home games for those season ticket holders who would like to see some hockey at Christmas time. I went to Estero this year for the first time and was so disappointed.

Date: March 07, 2017 02:52PM

wakester2468
So give it a try for one year. What the hell do you have to lose?

The players like the warm beaches stocked without regard to Ivy admissions and the coaching staff likes the team bonding opportunities?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 02:55PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 07, 2017 03:23PM

from what i have gathered the players are not all the psyched about the florida trip even now. they would probably just fly home for a week.

Date: March 07, 2017 03:38PM

Trotsky
wakester2468
So give it a try for one year. What the hell do you have to lose?

The players like the warm beaches stocked without regard to Ivy admissions and the coaching staff likes the team bonding opportunities?

And you have money to lose. You don't think the teams, 3 others if you'll have a tournament, are paying their own way, do you? You have to pay their transportation, room and board, as well as any perks you give them. Then there's the question of whether they expect some extra money for attending.

Finally, I still don't think it would be easy to attract the kind of schools that I think people are talking about. Again, do teams look at coming to Ithaca in late December as a wonderful opportunity? Doubtful.

Date: March 08, 2017 07:29AM

So rather than just speculate that it wouldn't work, why not put out feelers to a handful of teams to determine the viability of such an idea.
Not knowing the financial arrangement Cornell has had yearly for the Florida trip, it's difficult to compare the monetary ramifications.
Regarding weather, Dartmouth for many years has hosted their holiday tournament with top level participants from major conferences such as BC and Michigan to
mention a couple. This is hockey. Not spring training baseball.

Date: March 08, 2017 07:44AM

wakester2468
So rather than just speculate that it wouldn't work, why not put out feelers to a handful of teams to determine the viability of such an idea.
Not knowing the financial arrangement Cornell has had yearly for the Florida trip, it's difficult to compare the monetary ramifications.
Regarding weather, Dartmouth for many years has hosted their holiday tournament with top level participants from major conferences such as BC and Michigan to
mention a couple. This is hockey. Not spring training baseball.

Do you know that this hasn't happened? I don't, but in Florida you have a CU hockey alum who wanted to make it work.

Maybe you could offer to do some leg work and see what's the interest. It's easy to complain, but it takes work to make something happen.

I'm sure that if someone like Craig Brush would make an offer, CU would be willing to listen.

Date: March 08, 2017 08:04AM

Not sure how you interpret my post as complaining. This is just a thought for an alternative to the Florida games should they not continue. My suggestion is only
in response to other posts that discuss the fact that the event might not continue. If I were a Florida CU alum like yourself, I would be echoing the same thoughts as you. I am a loyal alum myself of over 40 years from New Hampshire. If there was a way to do some leg work I would be more than happy but that's not realistic. On another note, like you in Florida, I live one mile from the SNHU Arena(formerly the Verizon Wireless Arena) in Manchester where the Northeast Regional is this year. For a few weeks now, Jason Moy in his bracketology has predicted CU to be placed here. After so many years, personally it would be nice to see the Big Red play in my home town for the first time. It's a very nice facility worth attending and supporting the team should it happen.

Date: March 08, 2017 08:44AM

Jim Hyla

in Florida you have a CU hockey alum who wanted to make it work.

Can you explain this for those of us who don't know the ins and outs?

Date: March 08, 2017 09:05AM

CU2007
Jim Hyla

in Florida you have a CU hockey alum who wanted to make it work.

Can you explain this for those of us who don't know the ins and outs?

I'll refer you to his bio page from the Florida Everblades website.

Scroll down and you'll see:

"Brush played hockey for four seasons at Cornell University where he was a member of the 1970 undefeated NCAA Championship team, which was the only team in collegiate history to accomplish this feat."

He's the President of the Everblades.

Date: March 08, 2017 09:17AM

wakester2468
Not sure how you interpret my post as complaining. This is just a thought for an alternative to the Florida games should they not continue. My suggestion is only
in response to other posts that discuss the fact that the event might not continue. If I were a Florida CU alum like yourself, I would be echoing the same thoughts as you. I am a loyal alum myself of over 40 years from New Hampshire. If there was a way to do some leg work I would be more than happy but that's not realistic. On another note, like you in Florida, I live one mile from the SNHU Arena(formerly the Verizon Wireless Arena) in Manchester where the Northeast Regional is this year. For a few weeks now, Jason Moy in his bracketology has predicted CU to be placed here. After so many years, personally it would be nice to see the Big Red play in my home town for the first time. It's a very nice facility worth attending and supporting the team should it happen.

I assume you're referring to me, but Syracuse is a long way from Florida and I've never been to one of the tournaments.

So why don't you look into a tournament in Manchester? There are a lot of teams nearby, so transportation costs wouldn't be that much.

Date: March 08, 2017 09:30AM

Actually that's not the worst idea you have had. In conjunction with UNH which is 40 minutes away and with the fact that there seems to be a good relationship between Dick Umile and Cornell already, there is some validity to that concept. There is a Cornell Club of NH in town and we already know how Cornell takes over Lynah East annually. The two could host jointly like Maine for awhile did in Fla.
The top notch New England schools might like such an event. It's a pipe dream but why not fantasize.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 01:58PM

Dec. 1 and 2 at Miami.
I found it on Miami's website:
[www.miamiredhawks.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 23, 2017 03:27PM

jkahn
Dec. 1 and 2 at Miami.
I found it on Miami's website:
[www.miamiredhawks.com]

Thanks, added.

Date: March 23, 2017 03:37PM

Any rumblings on Estero? Won't be long until you can probably safely stick a fork in it.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 08:00PM

I heard some CHA members at LP saying it wasn't happening.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 24, 2017 08:55AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I heard some CHA members at LP saying it wasn't happening.

bummer, thanks for the update.

Date: March 27, 2017 08:10AM

Although disappointed with Saturdays outcome, I prefer to think of this season as a success with my preseason hopes of making it to Lake Placid met and
exceeded. While 2017 - 2018 season is 7 months away, I hope posts continue through the spring and summer months. Sometimes the anticipation of what's to
come is as enjoyable as it is during the season I especially am looking forward to the official schedule with such things as who replaces Merrimack, MSG and the Florida situation. A lot of variables this year. Keep the faith. GO RED!

Date: May 25, 2017 07:27AM

Does anyone have any information regarding the official 2017-2018 schedule? If it hasn't been released yet, curious when to expect the announcement. Will be interesting to see who we add for out of conference opponents to go along with traveling to Miami. Also still wondering if the Florida trip will continue.

Date: May 25, 2017 11:23AM

wakester2468
Also still wondering if the Florida trip will continue.
If it doesn't we need to take the Ned Harkness Cup and stow it for another future attempt. Like in Switzerland. Or Kepler-186f after FTL.

Date: May 27, 2017 09:38AM

It has been reported on the USCHO schedule thread that UAH is visiting Cornell on 10/27 and 10/28.

Posted by: redGrinch (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2017 06:23PM

It's confirmed on UAH's schedule announcement.

Date: May 27, 2017 09:26PM

ursusminor
It has been reported on the USCHO schedule thread that UAH is visiting Cornell on 10/27 and 10/28.
This is awesome. Are we returning the favor? I would be down for that. Never been to AL and can't imagine literally any other reason ever to.

Edit: Jesus Chist. Not only is the rink UAH plays in named after Wernher von Braun, but it looks like right next to it there's a fucking ICBM!

Oh, I'm in.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2017 09:47PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 28, 2017 09:35AM

wakester2468
Does anyone have any information regarding the official 2017-2018 schedule? If it hasn't been released yet, curious when to expect the announcement. Will be interesting to see who we add for out of conference opponents to go along with traveling to Miami. Also still wondering if the Florida trip will continue.
Cornell plays 22 ECAC games and 7 OOC games. If we can count 7 out of conference games without Florida Hockey Classic, then it's a goner. IF OOC is this:

2 vs. OOC 10/27-28 or 1/19-20 (one pair OOC (UAH), one pair Colgate)
1 at MSG Thanksgiving weekend (assuming)
2 at Miami 12/1 12/2

... Cornell has 2 games open still

FWIW, last year's Florida attendance was 3812 & 3772 total 7584. Capacity for hockey is 7186.

Date: May 29, 2017 12:21PM

Hopefully, remaining two games in Florida or elsewhere will be an upgrade. Strength of schedule takes a hit with UAB and hoping here Miami has a good season.

Date: May 29, 2017 05:26PM

Florida attendance also included the local EHL season ticket holders as paid attendance. The actual number in the building was considerably less. I counted the first nights 2nd game attendance in the hundreds. Never more than 2500 for the second night - if that many.
The arena heavily subsidizes the teams for their travel and gets some good discounts for lodging. With ex Cornellian Arena GM Craig Bush soon to retire, there is no one there ready to push to continue.
Carolina Hurricanes and Florida Everblades owner Peter Karmanos Jr. (who also owns the Germain Arena) apparently did not want to spend money that did not live up to its potential.
Yes Ohio State and Notre Dame brought in the local winter "Snowbirds" but Lake Superior State and Colorado College could not fill seats.

Too bad, spent the last 6 tournaments there as it is only 150 miles from home.
Haven't been in Lyanh since '74.
Sigh!

Date: May 29, 2017 05:40PM

Do you have the definitive word on the elimination of the Florida College Hockey Classic? It sounds in your post that it's done.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: May 30, 2017 07:01AM

wakester2468
Hopefully, remaining two games in Florida or elsewhere will be an upgrade. Strength of schedule takes a hit with UAB and hoping here Miami has a good season, after 12/2.

Fixed your post.

Date: May 30, 2017 07:03AM

cufan
Florida attendance also included the local EHL season ticket holders as paid attendance. The actual number in the building was considerably less. I counted the first nights 2nd game attendance in the hundreds. Never more than 2500 for the second night - if that many.
The arena heavily subsidizes the teams for their travel and gets some good discounts for lodging. With ex Cornellian Arena GM Craig Bush soon to retire, there is no one there ready to push to continue.
Carolina Hurricanes and Florida Everblades owner Peter Karmanos Jr. (who also owns the Germain Arena) apparently did not want to spend money that did not live up to its potential.
Yes Ohio State and Notre Dame brought in the local winter "Snowbirds" but Lake Superior State and Colorado College could not fill seats.

Too bad, spent the last 6 tournaments there as it is only 150 miles from home.
Haven't been in Lyanh since '74.
Sigh!

I haven't been there, either.;-)

Date: May 30, 2017 07:13AM

ursusminor

Thanks, posted.

So if all the possibles are correct, we have the questions of when is Colgate, who are exhibitions, and is Florida still on.

Date: May 31, 2017 08:05PM

Fla. tourney normally scheduled for Dec 28 and 29 in past years. Germain Arena does not list the tourney in their events schedule for those dates but they have booked a comedian for the 28th.
[germainarena.com]

Usually it is included in the Everblades schedule and this year their is no mention of it.

Sigh!

Tom in Vero

Date: May 31, 2017 09:38PM

cufan
Fla. tourney normally scheduled for Dec 28 and 29 in past years. Germain Arena does not list the tourney in their events schedule for those dates but they have booked a comedian for the 28th.
[germainarena.com]

Usually it is included in the Everblades schedule and this year their is no mention of it.

Sigh!

Tom in Vero
Bet Gaffigan outdraws us.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 01, 2017 12:49AM

Trotsky
cufan
[germainarena.com]

Sigh!

Tom in Vero
Bet Gaffigan outdraws us.
Bet he puts on a better show too.

Date: June 01, 2017 05:59AM

cufan
[germainarena.com]
Dec. 29-30 is available at the arenda. As is the rest of the month other than 12/28. I thought the tournament played between 12/27 and 12/29 or 12/30. So that leaves a sliver of hope.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2017 02:53PM

billhoward
cufan
[germainarena.com]
Dec. 29-30 is available at the arenda. As is the rest of the month other than 12/28. I thought the tournament played between 12/27 and 12/29 or 12/30. So that leaves a sliver of hope.
Thursday I received email from Germain Arena advertising season tickets. No indication of a tournament in the packages.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 04, 2017 06:12PM

i heard no tourney this year..

Date: June 05, 2017 07:48AM

If upprdeck's information is correct about the Florida tournament, it's interesting to speculate how the last two games now open will be filled. Now that UAH is confirmed at Lynah, we are on the road at Miami and the annual Thanksgiving weekend game most likely against BU occurs, who will be scheduled as the first two games after the break. I have heard that Mike has a good relationship with Bob Gaudet at Dartmouth.
They host an annual holiday event on dec 29th and 30th each year. It's a predetermined two games, not the two winner and losers playing on the 30th. Last year Colgate participated so a second team along with Dartmouth from ECAC isn't an issue since they wouldn't play against each other. On the Dartmouth schedule, three teams have been announced. UNH, Minnesota Duluth and Dartmouth. While a fourth team might have already been added, I can't find on anyone's schedule as of yet who it is. If it happened to be Cornell. that would mean Cornell would play Duluth and UNH which would help their out of conference schedule greatly. Of course being from NH this appeals to me greatly at best is probably just wishful thinking. I do still like the idea of Cornell hosting a holiday event but unless it's already planned but not publicized, its late in the scheduling process to tie up three other team.
If anyone has any additional info, I'd be curious to hear about it.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: June 05, 2017 11:58AM

wakester2468
If upprdeck's information is correct about the Florida tournament, it's interesting to speculate how the last two games now open will be filled. Now that UAH is confirmed at Lynah, we are on the road at Miami and the annual Thanksgiving weekend game most likely against BU occurs,

...and yet there's been no announcement of Red Hot Hockey (or Frozen Apple), it's not on Cornell's schedule or BU's schedule, and it's not on MSG's schedule. Tickets have been available as early as February some years, but here we are without even any news.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: A-19 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2017 05:33PM

Beeeej
...and yet there's been no announcement of Red Hot Hockey (or Frozen Apple), it's not on Cornell's schedule or BU's schedule, and it's not on MSG's schedule. Tickets have been available as early as February some years, but here we are without even any news.

anyone have any more information on whether the MSG game will continue this year and, if so, if BU remains the opponent?

Posted by: nyc94 (---.sub-70-214-82.myvzw.com)
Date: June 05, 2017 05:45PM

wakester2468
If upprdeck's information is correct about the Florida tournament, it's interesting to speculate how the last two games now open will be filled. Now that UAH is confirmed at Lynah, we are on the road at Miami and the annual Thanksgiving weekend game most likely against BU occurs, who will be scheduled as the first two games after the break. I have heard that Mike has a good relationship with Bob Gaudet at Dartmouth.
They host an annual holiday event on dec 29th and 30th each year. It's a predetermined two games, not the two winner and losers playing on the 30th. Last year Colgate participated so a second team along with Dartmouth from ECAC isn't an issue since they wouldn't play against each other. On the Dartmouth schedule, three teams have been announced. UNH, Minnesota Duluth and Dartmouth. While a fourth team might have already been added, I can't find on anyone's schedule as of yet who it is. If it happened to be Cornell. that would mean Cornell would play Duluth and UNH which would help their out of conference schedule greatly. Of course being from NH this appeals to me greatly at best is probably just wishful thinking. I do still like the idea of Cornell hosting a holiday event but unless it's already planned but not publicized, its late in the scheduling process to tie up three other team.
If anyone has any additional info, I'd be curious to hear about it.

Duluth's schedule has Yale and Dartmouth.

Date: June 05, 2017 10:44PM

Beeeej
wakester2468
If upprdeck's information is correct about the Florida tournament, it's interesting to speculate how the last two games now open will be filled. Now that UAH is confirmed at Lynah, we are on the road at Miami and the annual Thanksgiving weekend game most likely against BU occurs,

In 2010 the Colgate game at Prudential Center wasn't announced until October 7.
4/7/2011 BU
6/19/2012 Michigan
2/28/2013 BU
2/19/2014 Penn State
4/2/2015 BU
5/20/2016 UNH

These are based on when I received email from Athletics announcing the impending ticket sales.

Posted by: moskcraig (---.static.longislandfiberexchange.net)
Date: June 13, 2017 03:49PM

Red Hot Hockey--the next installment of the Big Red vs. the Terriers--is up on the MSG site (11/25/17 at 8 p.m.) On-sale has been changed to 6/23:
[www.thegarden.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2017 05:32PM by moskcraig.

Date: June 14, 2017 07:45AM

Glad that is confirmed and certainly raises the strength of schedule considerably. I'm researching every other teams schedule that has been announced and still can't figure out what the games will be over the holidays if Florida is history. Ledyard classic in Hanover is full. Catamount tourney seems unlikely so it's looking more and more like it could be teams like Niagara or RIT. That does not thrill me Hope I'm wrong.

Date: June 14, 2017 03:36PM

Its not RIT

Date: June 18, 2017 11:35PM

moskcraig
Red Hot Hockey--the next installment of the Big Red vs. the Terriers--is up on the MSG site (11/25/17 at 8 p.m.) On-sale has been changed to 6/23:
[www.thegarden.com]
If you follow the "subscribe now" link, it says that the internet presale starts at noon on 6/21.
I can't remember whether tickets were also available through Cornell in past years, ensuring that we would end up in a Cornell section, or whether the MSG site showed the division clearly.

Date: June 19, 2017 09:59AM

On a hot Sunday afternoon with the AC running full guns, while watching golf for nine hours I decided to do a little cross referencing while waiting for the official Big Red schedule to be announced. Through process of elimination I've narrowed down
potential opponents after Christmas assuming they actually play that week whether it's in Florida or elsewhere.
I was fearful that we would end up with games against either RIT or Niagara but both are now committed otherwise.
So correct me if I'm wrong plus teams are finalizing schedule daily but here are the teams left uncommitted or at least unannounced to date.
Notre Dame, BC Connecticut, North Dakota, Alaska Fairbanks, Canisius(sp) Mercyhurst, Sacred Heart and Bentley.
Notre Dame, BC or No Dakota would be great but I'm not holding my breath. If someone can eliminate any of these schools please correct me.
I didn't realize Sacred Heart was also nicknamed the Big Red so I can see a Big Red vs Big Red showdown to go along with Red Hot Hockey.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: June 19, 2017 10:20AM

wakester2468
I didn't realize Sacred Heart was also nicknamed the Big Red so I can see a Big Red vs Big Red showdown to go along with Red Hot Hockey.

The Sacred Heart athletic teams are named the Pioneers.

Their weird human mascot character is named Big Red.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2017 10:23AM by RichH.

Date: June 19, 2017 10:39AM

You are correct but to the other more important portion of my post, do you have any additional info regarding scheduling. I still can't see Florida happening, They have a
performance scheduled for the 28th which would make the arena unavailable for practice that day if games are the 29th and 30th. Pretty sure they wouldn't play the 30th and
New Years Eve. Patiently waiting for official release of schedule. Actually, not so much.

Date: June 19, 2017 10:55AM

German / TECO Arena has 2 or 3 rinks so conceivably the teams could practice at the facility. But I don't recall the second game being played after the 29th. Looks dimmer and dimmer.

Maybe there's an upside for the players of being able to take off for more than a few days, to see family.

Date: June 20, 2017 08:09AM

Alaska Fairbanks out.

Date: June 21, 2017 10:01AM

I was told it was a school beginning with an M..

Date: June 21, 2017 10:33AM

upprdeck
I hear Mordor is good this year.

Date: June 21, 2017 11:45AM

upprdeck
Wisconsin?

Date: June 21, 2017 12:07PM

Wisconsin, even though they have the dates open, according to their hockey website, they have already scheduled the maximum number of games permissible.
Would be a great opponent though. Still hoping for Notre Dame, North Dakota or BC.

Date: June 22, 2017 07:02AM

Notre Dame out. Their schedule released yesterday. Down to Atlantic Hockey North Dakota or BC. Another deduction could be that there aren't enough teams to fill
a tournament (Florida) at this point. Don't recall Atlantic hockey teams involved in the past.

Date: June 22, 2017 07:07AM

North Dakota out. Schedule just released. Almost makes certain that Florida is toast.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2017 09:06AM

wakester2468
North Dakota out. Schedule just released. Almost makes certain that Florida is toast.

I've heard from reliable sources that no Florida tourney this year

Date: June 22, 2017 12:56PM

Starting to think that Colgate games will be played on Tuesdays which will open up the weekend of Jan 19 and 20th where it might be easier to schedule games outside of conference.
Creates an extremely long break from 12/2 to 1 /5 though.

Date: June 23, 2017 09:47AM

wakester2468
Starting to think that Colgate games will be played on Tuesdays which will open up the weekend of Jan 19 and 20th where it might be easier to schedule games outside of conference.
Creates an extremely long break from 12/2 to 1 /5 though.

With an improving Princeton and perennial PITA Q first up when we come back rusty.

No sir, I don't like it.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2017 08:15PM

Trotsky
wakester2468
If it doesn't we need to take the Ned Harkness Cup and stow it for another future attempt. Like in Switzerland. Or Kepler-186f after FTL.

Apparently Minnesota played in the Spengler Cup in 1981. Anyone up for a road trip to Davos?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2017 08:18PM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky
wakester2468

Apparently Minnesota played in the Spengler Cup in 1981. Anyone up for a road trip to Davos?

Oops, no luck. Their schedule is full:

[www.spenglercup.ch]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: June 24, 2017 07:52AM

At least now we know according to official post announcing Red Hot Hockey that the final schedule will be announced next week.
Latest prediction for the final two game is Mercyhurst.

Date: June 26, 2017 12:21PM

Mercyhurst out! Canisius looking more likely

Date: June 26, 2017 02:09PM

I found the person at Germain Arena who runs the tournament on, of all places, LinkedIn. Here is her response:

Unfortunately we are not hosting the Florida College Hockey Tournament this December.

It's dead, Jim.

Date: June 26, 2017 05:38PM

Trotsky
I found the person at Germain Arena who runs the tournament on, of all places, LinkedIn. Here is her response:

Unfortunately we are not hosting the Florida College Hockey Tournament this December.

It's dead, Jim.

So it looks like the unknown is becoming more difficult. We don't seem to have a lot of good choices. Even Arizona has settled on their tournament schedule.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 27, 2017 12:27AM

Not sure if anyone has posted this composite yet: [docs.google.com]#

Date: June 27, 2017 07:38AM

Four potential opponent left in order of my personal preference.
1. BC. Home and home series would be great for many reasons.
2. Sacred Heart. They play a Webster Arena in Bridgeport which is used to host NCAA regional sometimes.
3 Canisius Buffalo area potentially good for recruiting in Ontario.
4. Bentley. No good reason to play them. Home rink capacity 1200.
These are the remaining teams as I see it available Dec 28-30
This all being said, it's more and more likely no games will be played at all until Princeton and Q meaning as stated earlier Colgate games
will be played on Tuesdays and the 28th and 29th game both out of conference will be on Jan 19 and 20. I agree with Trotsky, this option sucks.
So I am impatiently waiting for the official announcement this week promised by previous release from CU Athletic Dept.

Posted by: gtsully (12.170.52.---)
Date: June 27, 2017 10:08AM

wakester2468
4. Bentley. No good reason to play them. Home rink capacity 1200.

Bentley is opening a new rink next year, so we could host the front half of a home-and-home and then help open up the new building next season. Selfishly, that's the closest D1 program to me, and my brother-in-law went to Bentley, so I'm all for it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2017 10:09AM by gtsully.

Date: June 27, 2017 10:32AM

That sounds like a potentially good idea. Bentley is actually close for me too residing in southern NH. Cornell always draws well in Boston area making it that much more logical. So now BC and Bentley are my top two choices.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2017 11:07AM

Date: June 27, 2017 12:17PM

Disappointing but predictable. Canisius was only team available over Christmas break. Niagara on tuesday before Thanksgiving. On the plus side, 15 home games albeit 5 with no students on campus and a game after break before returning to ECAC schedule. I wonder if there is a reciprocal arrangement for next year with these two schools along with Alabama Huntsville.

Date: June 27, 2017 12:48PM

wakester2468
Disappointing but predictable.
Think of it as tryouts for when Q bolts.

(My preference still being RIT.)

Date: June 27, 2017 02:09PM

lots of seats will be free i suspect for the 3 games over xmas break. good for kids coming home from school

Date: June 27, 2017 04:52PM

I posted it all, but note that the exhibition games are a week earlier than usual. So I'd guess that corresponds to the first weekend of coaches' practice. Meaning we probably won't have a Red/White game.

Unfortunately a lousy OOC schedule. We'd better do well in conference.

Date: June 28, 2017 09:27AM

Jim Hyla
Unfortunately a lousy OOC schedule.

I was gonna say "not that lousy" but

2017 PWR:
Fri 10/27 56 UAH 
Sat 10/28 56 UAH 
Tue 11/21 60 Niagara
Sat 11/25  7 BU @ MSG
Fri 12/01 31 @ Miami 
Sat 12/02 31 @ Miami 
Sat 12/30 25 Canisius

"Hey, who's your second-best NC opponent?"

"Canisius!"

"Um..."

There's always the ECACs.

HOOVER: Well, sir, we're hoping that our midterm grades will really help our average.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2017 09:28AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 28, 2017 09:59AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

2017 PWR:
Fri 10/27 56 UAH 
Sat 10/28 56 UAH 
Tue 11/21 60 Niagara
Sat 11/25  7 BU @ MSG
Fri 12/01 31 @ Miami 
Sat 12/02 31 @ Miami 
Sat 12/30 25 Canisius

"Canisius!"

"Um..."

HOOVER: Well, sir, we're hoping that our midterm grades will really help our average.

Not a great schedule for sure, but Miami is the 2nd best NC opponent

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 28, 2017 12:59PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

2017 PWR:
Fri 10/27 56 UAH 
Sat 10/28 56 UAH 
Tue 11/21 60 Niagara
Sat 11/25  7 BU @ MSG
Fri 12/01 31 @ Miami 
Sat 12/02 31 @ Miami 
Sat 12/30 25 Canisius

"Canisius!"

"Um..."

Miami will probably be pretty good this year. They have a lot of talent and good coaching and they played top-ranked opponents close last year.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2017 01:01PM by BearLover.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login