Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Florida College Classic

Posted by Beeeej 
Florida College Classic
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 11, 2016 05:12PM

I'm sure a field of Merrimack, Northern Michigan, and Colorado College looked somewhat attractive when they were putting it together, but now it looks like quite the parade of mediocrity, and we look heavily favored, at least relatively speaking (which could be problematic in itself):

15t Cornell             7-3-1
37  Merrimack           6-8-3
48  Colorado College   3-12-1
57  Northern Michigan  4-14-2

Is it possible this is the least exciting holiday tournament field ever?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2016 05:16PM by Beeeej.

Re: Florida College Classic
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2016 05:44PM

I'm sure there was at least one Syracuse (Hockey) Invitation Tournament that was worse.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2016 06:54PM

Beeeej
I'm sure a field of Merrimack, Northern Michigan, and Colorado College looked somewhat attractive when they were putting it together, but now it looks like quite the parade of mediocrity, and we look heavily favored, at least relatively speaking (which could be problematic in itself):

15t Cornell             7-3-1
37  Merrimack           6-8-3
48  Colorado College   3-12-1
57  Northern Michigan  4-14-2

Is it possible this is the least exciting holiday tournament field ever?

It is the least exciting tournament in the Florida tournament but look at these teams during the RPI Holiday Tournament ten year long death spiral:

2001 RPI UMass Niagara Quinnipiac
2002 Merrimack Wayne State Princeton RPI
2003 Northeastern Mercyhurst Colgate RPI
2004 Air Force RPI Robert Morris Sacred Heart
2005 Nebraska–Omaha Holy Cross RPI Providence
2006 Niagara Colgate RPI Ohio State
2007 Notre Dame RPI Alabama–Huntsville American International
2008 Northeastern RPI Mercyhurst Princeton
2009 Union RPI Bentley Lake Superior
2010 RPI Bowling Green Alabama-Huntsville Connecticut

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 12, 2016 09:27AM

That's not a spiral. It's standing water.

Date: December 12, 2016 11:55AM

Trotsky
That's not a spiral. It's standing water.

Or coffee. Often the tourney highlight was the redesign of the souvenir mug.

Posted by: Hooking (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 12, 2016 01:14PM

This is a classic battle of teams that do not control the puck most of the time: defensive teams!

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2016 07:48PM

What a difference from the teams that were in the tournament last year. Of course, anything less than a win in this tournament would not be good from our point of view.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 12, 2016 08:45PM

Anyone...you know, planning to go? I went in 2013 and had a great time.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2016 09:36PM

I am a maybe, likely no this year.

My sweet girl (and avatar) Abby-Bâby passed away in July at the age of 11. She had a tumor on her heart and there were no options. I have adopted a new canine companion - Eden the Elf - a four year old 40 lb black and tan coonhound mix who has separation anxiety.

I have only had her ~ 10 weeks and we are slowly working through this issue, but in the meantime, I cannot leave her for long periods of time. She barks, howls and whines and we live in a condo building with horrible acoustics.

It is a good thing I work for a small company with a boss that loves dogs and lets me bring her to work. And yes, I have a type :).

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 12, 2016 09:45PM

Rita

My sweet girl (and avatar) Abby-Bâby passed away in July at the age of 11. She had a tumor on her heart and there were no options. I have adopted a new canine companion - Eden the Elf - a four year old 40 lb black and tan coonhound mix who has separation anxiety.
Good dogs.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2016 07:11AM

ugarte
Rita

Good dogs.

Good people make good dogs.

Posted by: wakester2468 (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2016 08:14AM

I'm making my first trip to the Florida College Classic this year. Perhaps the most insignificant question on this forum is this. While in Florida I have no
intention of wearing anything but shorts if at all possible. Is that the normal attire for games at Germain Arena or should I plan otherwise?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: December 13, 2016 08:21AM

wakester2468
I'm making my first trip to the Florida College Classic this year. Perhaps the most insignificant question on this forum is this. While in Florida I have no
intention of wearing anything but shorts if at all possible. Is that the normal attire for games at Germain Arena or should I plan otherwise?
Probably depends on who you ask. People who live in Florida think 65°F weather warrants a heavy jacket.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2016 08:39AM

Yes, wearing shorts is totally possible - I'm amazed at the number of people that do it for the Florida Classic and at Everblade games. You might want to consider bringing a sweatshirt since it is drafty in there and very little "body heat" from the human fans (or lack there of).

I, on the other hand, am always cold so I'm bundled up in turtlenecks and sweatshirts.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2016 09:09AM

If you get cold, move to the top row because heat rises....

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2016 11:34AM

Shorts are fine, paired with a sweatshirt. Temps outside could be 50 to 85. Estero is almost as far south as Miami, just on the west coast.

You didn't ask, but no, you don't need to buy tickets in advance. The turnout is decent but not a sellout.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: December 13, 2016 02:43PM

Jim Hyla
ugarte
Rita

Good dogs.

Good people make good dogs.
rock
That's the closest to a heart/hug emoticon I could find. Sorry for your loss. Happy for your gain.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2016 11:15AM

I was "channel surfing" and noticed that the Ivy League Digital Network lists the Florida College Hockey Classic as being shown. It's not listed on CornellBigRed.com, but I have to assume the network is correct.bananabananabanana

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.121.---)
Date: December 28, 2016 07:15AM

Good news! According to article in Daily Sun, Kubiak will be back in lineup today in Florida. The article also says Gillam injured his knee during second game against Miami, but should be able to play today. College Hockey News, meanwhile, is reporting that two Merrimack players are leaving the team.

Date: December 28, 2016 07:34AM

Two Merrimack Sophomores Leave Team At Semester Break. Not their stars, but it probably won't help them.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2016 10:03AM

the game is still listed on the ILDN for today.. glad we paid to keep our AD so the Ath dept could be bothered to update the big red web site with that info on the schedule.. you have to read the stores to find out thats its available.

i still think we get all but one of the injured guys back this year.

Posted by: dag14 (---.73-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2016 10:28AM

I am pretty sure that ILDN is audio only; the game notes story doesn't come right out and say it but it isn't clear that there will be video.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2016 10:51AM

Well that would be downer but not surprised. That might explain why its listed on the notes and not the schedule.. Still listing in the notes as webcast makes me think video more than audio since radio is listed on its own line.

One thing though. Since my post a few minutes ago and your response the video link has suddenly shown up on the schedule .. So maybe there is hope after all.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2016 10:55AM by upprdeck.

Date: December 28, 2016 12:58PM

Well, this is now on Cornell Big Red, Watch the Florida College Hockey Classic on ILDN. I suspect that they had a number of calls/emails asking about it, so they finally had to put it out for sure.

Date: December 28, 2016 04:04PM

Wait, so it's not on ESPN3? I thought someone said it would be.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: December 28, 2016 05:35PM

My phone (Samsung Galaxy 7) would only pick up the ILDN for about 3 minutes at a time, then display a message that "this phone cannot broadcast this event." On refresh, I'd get the next 3 mins, and so.

Date: December 28, 2016 05:40PM

Trotsky
My phone (Samsung Galaxy 7) would only pick up the ILDN for about 3 minutes at a time, then display a message that "this phone cannot broadcast this event." On refresh, I'd get the next 3 mins, and so.

The USCHO "live" scoreboard has been stuck with 25 seconds left in the second period for several minutes now - and even the eLynah Twitter feed hasn't posted in 26 minutes since our last goal. Anybody got any idea what's going on down there?

- Steve Worona

Date: December 28, 2016 05:41PM

Beeeej
Trotsky

The USCHO "live" scoreboard has been stuck with 25 seconds left in the second period for several minutes now - and even the eLynah Twitter feed hasn't posted in 26 minutes since our last goal. Anybody got any idea what's going on down there?

Never mind, it just suddenly refreshed at the beginning of the third. I guess the scoreboard-keeper went on intermission early and forgot about us. smashfreak

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2016 05:58PM

And now it's evident why NMU has had such a rough season. And yet, they aren't even the lowest PWR team.

Date: December 28, 2016 06:15PM

As I posted on the chat, we beat the teams that we should, now we need to show that we can win some of the tougher ones.

Date: December 28, 2016 06:21PM

We're now 13 in PWR

Date: December 28, 2016 07:51PM

Jim Hyla
We're now 13 in PWR
Need to win tomorrow too. Remember, remember the 29th of December...

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2016 09:08PM

Just got home from the game.

Very enjoyable. Larger crowd than I remember there being three years ago.

Around an hour before the game was at the nearby outlet mall and saw a bunch of young guys in matching Cornell polos and shorts, clearly on the team. My first thought was "damn I'm old." and the second was "I wonder if they're stranded and need a ride to the rink."

They seemed fine. During warmups, I chatted with Ryan Bliss for a bit, and he said the team was enjoying the weather, anyway. He seemed disappointed that he wasn't playing.

All and all, a good performance. The first goal on Gillam was a rifle shot off the post and in. Not sure he had a chance. I didn't get a good look at the second NMU goal.

The Cornell goals were pretty solid, too. None of the battering, scrummy "garbage goals" we used to get a lot of. Mostly wrist shots from 10-15 feet out. The first one was a beautiful deflection, it seemed, and the Cornell fan section knew it was in about a full second before anyone on the ice reacted.

Dan Wedman left the ice clutching his wrist in the second period, and watched the third with his arm in a sling. Hopefully that was just precautionary. It didn't look like they wrapped it too seriously or anything, just that they wanted to immobilize it briefly. Hopefully he's okay.

A fun experience, and great to see a lot of the players' families in attendance. I *think* I was sitting near Schafer's dad. Is that possible?

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2016 09:25PM

LaJollaRed
I *think* I was sitting near Schafer's dad. Is that possible?

Unlikely, since Schafer's father died almost 30 years ago.

Date: December 28, 2016 09:30PM

ACM
LaJollaRed

His brother looks like an older version of him, though, so that may have been him.

- Steve Worona

Date: December 28, 2016 09:31PM

There are still under 5 minutes left but it seems like CC will be tomorrow's opponent and Merrimack will have to wait until next month.

Date: December 28, 2016 09:46PM

CC wins 3-zip, so we will play them.

Date: December 28, 2016 10:07PM

Jim Hyla
We're now 13 in PWR
Merrimack's loss drops us to t14 with SLU.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2016 06:54PM

Dan Wedman left the ice clutching his wrist in the second period, and watched the third with his arm in a sling. Hopefully that was just precautionary. It didn't look like they wrapped it too seriously or anything, just that they wanted to immobilize it briefly. Hopefully he's okay. [/quote

Wedman is out, Anderson in tonight

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-70-208-73.myvzw.com)
Date: December 29, 2016 07:02PM

ACM
LaJollaRed
Puts the meaning in "droll"

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-70-209-139.myvzw.com)
Date: December 29, 2016 07:09PM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
We're now 13 in PWR

Q's win puts us at 12.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2016 07:10PM

ugarte

But we begin today's game up to 12, mostly on the effect of QU's win vs. BC today. We leap Notre Dame and BC, SLU, and QU are tied at 14. The gap to #11 Minnesota is probably too great to make up vs. a weak opponent like CC, and the difference between #12 and #13 is less than one-thousandth of an RPI point.

The message remains: Just win, baby.

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-70-208-73.myvzw.com)
Date: December 29, 2016 07:10PM

LaJollaRed
Very enjoyable. Larger crowd than I remember there being three years ago.
Box score (second game) had the first night's attendance at 3,812. Rink info lists ice hockey capacity at 7,181. [germainarena.com]

Date: December 29, 2016 07:14PM

Stewart in net vs. CC. I like it. If the gap between the two isn't that large, let's get them both some game experience.

Date: December 29, 2016 07:26PM

How about you guys joining chat.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2016 08:12PM

Love to but I am stuck in a Ground Hog Day loop that goes from 2:25 remaining in the first to 1:40 remaining and then buffers forever.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2016 08:13PM by Roy 82.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2016 08:16PM

Roy 82
Love to but I am stuck in a Ground Hog Day loop that goes from 2:25 remaining in the first to 1:40 remaining and then buffers forever.

ILDN has to be the effing worst!

help

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 29, 2016 08:24PM

RichH
Stewart in net vs. CC. I like it. If the gap between the two isn't that large, let's get them both some game experience.

Makes sense with three games in four nights and a decent flight in between. Not sure which game is "more important" from a pwr perspective but getting Gilliam on routine for the home stretch is good.

Date: December 29, 2016 08:57PM

Chris '03

Makes sense with three games in four nights and a decent flight in between.

? The Merrimack game isn't until Jan 7.

Date: December 29, 2016 08:57PM

Chris '03
RichH

Makes sense with three games in four nights and a decent flight in between. Not sure which game is "more important" from a pwr perspective but getting Gilliam on routine for the home stretch is good.

"Three games in four nights"?

Date: December 29, 2016 09:44PM

I hate this fucking tournament.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2016 09:49PM

ugarte

Lousy field and still can't win. Treading water as long as Mike's in charge.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 29, 2016 09:50PM

ACM
Chris '03
RichH

"Three games in four nights"?

I can't read. There's a week in between...Nothing to see here...

Date: December 29, 2016 09:53PM

Boom. Drop to 20 in PWR.

Posted by: GBR1234 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)

And we sink to 20 in PWR just like that....

There's the first "bad" loss. But there's a lot of hockey between now and March.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2016 09:56PM

Do we know why Gilliam didn't play?

Date: December 29, 2016 10:00PM

Trotsky
Boom. Drop to 20 in PWR.

I knew we'd drop, but geez

Date: December 29, 2016 10:01PM

Iceberg
There's the first "bad" loss. But there's a lot of hockey between now and March.
Second; the Merrimack loss was just as bad.

Date: December 29, 2016 10:02PM

ugarte

It really has become an albatross.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-70-209-139.myvzw.com)
Date: December 29, 2016 10:24PM

ugarte
Iceberg

Not as the first game of the season, when they had played 6. Now if we lose the next one, that's bad.

Posted by: GBR1234 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2016 10:44PM

CAS
Do we know why Gilliam didn't play?

In the pregame coach S. said he'd been working really hard and deserved the start.

Date: December 29, 2016 10:44PM

scoop85
ugarte

It really has become an albatross.
It would be great, if we won...

Date: December 29, 2016 10:48PM

Jim Hyla
ugarte
Iceberg

Not as the first game of the season, when they had played 6. Now if we lose the next one, that's bad.
Pairwise doesn't care if you lose to a shitty team in November or February.

Date: December 30, 2016 06:36AM

Jim Hyla
ugarte
Iceberg
Ouch! This sets the stage for the dismal January swoon that has become a Cornell hockey tradition in our minds even if it is not statistically so.

Date: December 30, 2016 06:41AM

You know about debarking surgical procedures? Quite effective. Not clear if it's cruel to the dog (actually, maybe it is) but then think what he's already had lopped off. Our gen 2 terrier is a whiner where the first one never yipped or whined when left alone, but then we're on 1.5 acres, not in a condo, and distance equals noise abatement. Good luck. Maybe a good trainer?

Re: Florida College Classic - tournament future
Date: December 30, 2016 06:59AM

3812  reported day 1 attendance 2016 vs. Germain Arena hockey capacity 7181
3772  reported day 2 attendance (including tickets sold not used?) 
----
7584  2-day reported total

We have family in SW Florida, this gives us a second reason to spend the last week of the year in Florida, and we hope the tournament keeps going. Can it? We need teams with larger fan bases (Wisconsin, Michigan, Notre Dame, BC, Ohio State) except if they're in larger metro areas, it's a chance for them to host their own holiday tournaments at home. We lucked out two years ago when participant Providence turned out to be the defending national champion. Be nice to get Penn State to play in the next year or two, unless they've already grown too big for Estero.

Team		Appear	Champ
Maine		14	6
Cornell		17	4
Ohio State	5	1
St. Cloud	3	1
Boston College	2	1
N Michigan	2	1
Lake SuperiorSt	1	1
UMass Lowell	1	1
Clarkson	3	0
Massachusetts	2	0
Miami		2	0
Minn–Duluth	2	0
New Hampshire	2	0
Notre Dame	2	0
Princeton	2	0
Colgate		1	0
Colorado Col	2	1
Merrimack	1	0
Ferris State	1	0
Northeastern	1	0
Providence	1	0
W Michigan	1	0
Merrimack	1	0

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 07:07AM by billhoward.

Date: December 30, 2016 08:54AM

It was 2015 (last year) for Providence followed by the Buckeye crash.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2016 10:44AM

Rita

I have only had her ~ 10 weeks and we are slowly working through this issue, but in the meantime, I cannot leave her for long periods of time. She barks, howls and whines and we live in a condo building with horrible acoustics.

It is a good thing I work for a small company with a boss that loves dogs and lets me bring her to work. And yes, I have a type :).

billhoward
You know about debarking surgical procedures? Quite effective. Not clear if it's cruel to the dog (actually, maybe it is) but then think what he's already had lopped off. Our gen 2 terrier is a whiner where the first one never yipped or whined when left alone, but then we're on 1.5 acres, not in a condo, and distance equals noise abatement. Good luck. Maybe a good trainer?

Try a no bark collar. It gives a mild shock that gets progressively stronger if she continues to bark. It worked with my Jake. I only use it now if he has a relapse, which is very rare. He hasn't suffered any psychological damage, at least as far as I can tell.

Date: December 30, 2016 12:59PM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Iceberg

Pairwise doesn't care if you lose to a shitty team in November or February.

You're right, but I didn't realize that this discussion was about PWR. I was referring to my prior post on this thread:

"As I posted on the chat, we beat the teams that we should, now we need to show that we can win some of the tougher ones."

By that definition I didn't consider the first game as one that we necessarily should have won and that's why I was happy we didn't play both games in the beginning. I think we have a much better chance of winning now, than we did then.

But now this is a game that we have to show we can win.

Posted by: wakester2468 (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2016 08:08AM

After all of the years CU has played in this tournament,I finally made the decision to take it in this year.
Let me just say it will be the last time. While most holiday tournaments lack in enthusiasm, this one is particularly bad.
I understand the Cornell connection to these games but I believe CU has been more than honorable supporting it.
Would love to see a holiday tournament resurface at Lake Placid as in the past. It's a fabulous setting during this time of year and might actually allow
for a little competitive advantage should they make the ECAC final four in March.

Date: December 31, 2016 08:23AM

I wouldn't mind seeing Cornell try to host a tourney a la the RPI Invitational. IIRC the arguments against it were the lack of lockerroom space and the generally shitty condition of the "back office" facilities, but those have been improved in the refurbishments.

Lynah is a fun, historic place to play, and we could concentrate on invitees who rarely/never get to go there (the AHA and the west).

The idea of hosting a tourney at LP, and thus making that a "home" site in March, is terrific, but I believe that place is booked solid with underage tourneys all through December. Maybe we could co-host with Clarkson and pump a little life into that rivalry. With Casey there the negotiations should be easy.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2016 08:27AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2017 01:05AM

Trotsky,

Didn't Cornell host a tourney many years ago?

A problem that RPI had in recent years was getting quality opponents to attend who wouldn't treat this as a two-game series at RPI demanding two games in their barn in return. From RPI's point of view having two games in Troy and having to play a total of six away games was a no-go, so we ended up having poorer and poorer tourneys.

Date: January 02, 2017 02:34AM

ursusminor
Trotsky,

A problem that RPI had in recent years was getting quality opponents to attend who wouldn't treat this as a two-game series at RPI demanding two games in their barn in return. From RPI's point of view having two games in Troy and having to play a total of six away games was a no-go, so we ended up having poorer and poorer tourneys.

Cornell did host briefly. Arthur would remember in detail by the impression is it Did Not Go Well.

I'm sure we would have the same home/away issue, and Mike would insist as well. The more I think about the Clarkson/Cornell co-host at Placid the more I love it. :)

Date: January 02, 2017 07:23PM

Cornell has played consistently over the past few years. The performance of this year's team resembles that of last year's team, right through the Estero Tournament. Complacency sucks.

Date: January 02, 2017 07:29PM

1. I don't think it's complacency.

2. We played very well in the second Estero game. Puck luck did us in. Last year OTOH we sucked harder for longer than a truck stop well you know.

Date: January 02, 2017 08:29PM

There is a reason why teams don't "show up" for some games or at some times of the year. I suspect Cornell hockey fans are becoming more complacent than the players, and every effect has its cause.

Date: January 02, 2017 10:29PM

Trotsky
ursusminor
Trotsky,

Cornell did host briefly. Arthur would remember in detail by the impression is it Did Not Go Well.

I'm sure we would have the same home/away issue, and Mike would insist as well. The more I think about the Clarkson/Cornell co-host at Placid the more I love it. :)

1958-59 Cornell Invitational
1/1/59 lost 11-0 to Colby
1/2/59 lost 10-0 to New Hampshire

1960-61 Cornell Invitational
12/19/60 lost 4-3 to Norwich
12/20/60 lost 2-1 to Bowdoin
12/21/60 lost 5-2 to Williams

1977-78 Cornell Holiday Festival
12/29/77 beat Toronto 10-5
12/30/77 beat Bowling Green 5-3

1978-79 Cornell Holiday Festival
12/28/78 beat Maine 3-1
12/29/78 beat Western Michigan 8-3

Posted by: rstott (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2017 11:23AM

The team hates Florida. I was sitting next to the parent of a player at one of the games. The parent said that when the son was a freshman he expressed enthusiasm about going to Florida in December and the seniors were “well, not exactly.” They all know that have never play well in Estero. They have to leave on the 26th, practice on the 27th and play the next day. They just want to get back to Ithaca and get on with season.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 03, 2017 11:34AM

there is losing and not playing well.. there is also losing and just not winning. they played well and controlled game 1, game 2 they played fine, had far the better chances, gave up a short handed breakaway type goal and a sloppy one to cost them the game after doing a good job to kill off a PK. its hockey and you can be the better team and lose any night. they goal is to be the better team more often than you are the lucky team .

if we win the 2-1 game we are looking at perhaps the hottest team in the NCAA by record. to come out of florida with 2 well played games is a sign of optimism that hopefully carries on this weekend and is much more important getting back into ECAC play.

Date: January 03, 2017 01:55PM

rstott
The team hates Florida. I was sitting next to the parent of a player at one of the games. The parent said that when the son was a freshman he expressed enthusiasm about going to Florida in December and the seniors were “well, not exactly.” They all know that have never play well in Estero. They have to leave on the 26th, practice on the 27th and play the next day. They just want to get back to Ithaca and get on with season.
I don't doubt you, but this isn't what I've heard from player families before. That was some years ago, and the bloom may be off the orange.

Date: January 03, 2017 09:56PM

upprdeck
there is losing and not playing well.. there is also losing and just not winning. they played well and controlled game 1, game 2 they played fine, had far the better chances, gave up a short handed breakaway type goal and a sloppy one to cost them the game after doing a good job to kill off a PK. its hockey and you can be the better team and lose any night. they goal is to be the better team more often than you are the lucky team .

if we win the 2-1 game we are looking at perhaps the hottest team in the NCAA by record. to come out of florida with 2 well played games is a sign of optimism that hopefully carries on this weekend and is much more important getting back into ECAC play.
this analysis would all be well and good if Colorado College wasn't 4-12-1 coming into the Estero final. You lose some games with puck luck. It happens. And a few bounces and you're right: we're not thinking about the game at all. But we lost to a bad team because we couldn't generate enough offense to keep a couple of bad bounces from mattering.

Date: January 04, 2017 10:26AM

ugarte
upprdeck

this analysis would all be well and good if Colorado College wasn't 4-12-1 coming into the Estero final. You lose some games with puck luck. It happens. And a few bounces and you're right: we're not thinking about the game at all. But we lost to a bad team because we couldn't generate enough offense to keep a couple of bad bounces from mattering.

All that means is they're not a great team. Good teams are never entirely outside the gravitational pull of a bad night. The thing that makes great teams great is when they completely suck and still somehow rip a win out of it. That's when you know you really have something and people start talking about "team of destiny" and all that rot.

The loss blows and it hurts them in PWR but I had no doubt who the better team was all night. That was not the case when they lost 8-zip to OSU.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2017 10:27AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2017 11:51AM

Trotsky
ugarte
upprdeck

All that means is they're not a great team. Good teams are never entirely outside the gravitational pull of a bad night. The thing that makes great teams great is when they completely suck and still somehow rip a win out of it. That's when you know you really have something and people start talking about "team of destiny" and all that rot.

The loss blows and it hurts them in PWR but I had no doubt who the better team was all night. That was not the case when they lost 8-zip to OSU.

So very true.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2017 01:57PM

wakester2468
Let me just say it will be the last time.

You might be on to something there.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 04, 2017 06:28PM

Trotsky
ugarte
upprdeck

Cornell is an average team that has had above-average luck. Tough to make the case for anything else. Weak SOS, lots of close wins, not even outshooting the bad teams. One more SOG than one of the worst teams in the country? Really? The advanced stats suggest no better:
[www.collegehockeynews.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2017 06:29PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Dafatone (24.230.170.---)
Date: January 04, 2017 06:40PM

BearLover
Trotsky
ugarte
upprdeck

Cornell is an average team that has had above-average luck. Tough to make the case for anything else. Weak SOS, lots of close wins, not even outshooting the bad teams. One more SOG than one of the worst teams in the country? Really? The advanced stats suggest no better:
[www.collegehockeynews.com]

I'm skeptical of hockey advanced metrics to begin with (I feel like we're still waiting for a better set of measurements to be developed), but especially so in college. At least in the NHL, you can be certain that almost every player, barring a few O'Byrne-esque sorts, can locate shots well, and therefore more chances and better flow of play is going to result in more goals. On the college level, I'd think the distribution of shooting accuracy would be far more scattered, resulting in more variety. More chances is certainly better than fewer chances, but whether or not your players can put shots in (or on) goal is important. I can recall a bunch of frustrating losses a decade ago where we'd outshoot a weaker team 50-20 and still lose, because we made some not-that-great goalie look incredible. It seems like our snipers snipe better with this team.

Admittedly, I take a similar approach to baseball analytics, where I'm all for advanced metrics but disagree with the general premise that BABIP always reverts to the mean. Maybe I'm just getting crotchety.

We've got plenty of hockey left and stiffer competition. I'm encouraged by the fact that we've at least looked like we belong on the ice with some of the better teams we've faced, and as has been mentioned in this thread, losing 2-1 is better than losing 8-0. I fully expect us to be roughly around where we were last year, hopefully a bit better, and while I'd love an NCAA bid, I refuse to call missing out by one spot a complete failure.

Posted by: billhoward (---.179.21.68.switchnap.com)
Date: January 05, 2017 03:19AM

Trotsky
I wouldn't mind seeing Cornell try to host a tourney a la the RPI Invitational. IIRC the arguments against it were the lack of lockerroom space and the generally shitty condition of the "back office" facilities, but those have been improved in the refurbishments.

Lynah is a fun, historic place to play, and we could concentrate on invitees who rarely/never get to go there (the AHA and the west).

The idea of hosting a tourney at LP, and thus making that a "home" site in March, is terrific, but I believe that place is booked solid with underage tourneys all through December. Maybe we could co-host with Clarkson and pump a little life into that rivalry. With Casey there the negotiations should be easy.
The LP youth tournaments Christmas-New Year week are a feeder into the CanAm Hockey summer program that keeps the Lake Placid Olympic Center rinks (there are three, one shared with figure skating) busy July and early August. The Xmas week youth tournaments keep the town going all week; a college tournament would get fans looking for 2 nights of lodging. The only downside to the youth tournaments is the wear and tear on hotel rooms in LP when there are four kids per room, even with hockey sticks left outside the hotel.

A tournament in Ithaca during the holiday week could be a recipe for 1,000-person attendance.

Date: January 05, 2017 08:56AM

billhoward
Trotsky

The LP youth tournaments Christmas-New Year week are a feeder into the CanAm Hockey summer program that keeps the Lake Placid Olympic Center rinks (there are three, one shared with figure skating) busy July and early August. The Xmas week youth tournaments keep the town going all week; a college tournament would get fans looking for 2 nights of lodging. The only downside to the youth tournaments is the wear and tear on hotel rooms in LP when there are four kids per room, even with hockey sticks left outside the hotel.

A tournament in Ithaca during the holiday week could be a recipe for 1,000-person attendance.

All good points.

It's not an easy problem, which is why we were toiling at the Syracuse War Memorial and other garden spots before we found Florida.

Date: January 05, 2017 09:07AM

On the positive side, the warm weather, the long commute to Estero, and the holiday season provide three convenient variables to explain team performance. See above.

Date: January 05, 2017 09:13AM

Hooking
On the positive side, the warm weather, the long commute to Estero, and the holiday season provide three convenient variables to explain team performance. See above.

wank

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: January 05, 2017 10:49AM

billhoward
Trotsky

The LP youth tournaments Christmas-New Year week are a feeder into the CanAm Hockey summer program that keeps the Lake Placid Olympic Center rinks (there are three, one shared with figure skating) busy July and early August. The Xmas week youth tournaments keep the town going all week; a college tournament would get fans looking for 2 nights of lodging.

I'll give you three guesses to figure out which Lake Placid rink Clarkson and RPI are playing this coming Saturday, then. Non-conference game. Could easily turn that into a tournament.

Date: January 05, 2017 07:11PM

RichH
I'll give you three guesses to figure out which Lake Placid rink Clarkson and RPI are playing this coming Saturday, then. Non-conference game. Could easily turn that into a tournament.
Let's see what attendance is. As much as I love the idea it could be a valid concern.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login