Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

College Hockey Podcast

Posted by LaJollaRed 
College Hockey Podcast
Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 07, 2016 10:14PM

Lately I've been listening to the "Hockey Goes to College" weekly podcast. Good stuff. The coverage is very Boston-centric, and pretty critical of the ECAC, but entertaining and informative, nonetheless.

Re: College Hockey Podcast
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 08, 2016 08:35AM

LaJollaRed
Lately I've been listening to the "Hockey Goes to College" weekly podcast. Good stuff. The coverage is very Boston-centric, and pretty critical of the ECAC, but entertaining and informative, nonetheless.
How is it critical? is it the old "EZAC" trope?

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: December 08, 2016 02:18PM

Trotsky
LaJollaRed
Respect for the teams that have earned it, less for the others. I know from chatting with him on Twitter that @twolinepass doesn't think much of Schafer as a coach.

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2016 02:31PM

ugarte
Trotsky
LaJollaRed
Respect for the teams that have earned it, less for the others. I know from chatting with him on Twitter that @twolinepass doesn't think much of Schafer as a coach.

That's because Ryan Lambert is absolutely obsessed with advanced stats. If a team does not have a high corsi, then Lambert automatically concludes that the team is garbage and incapable of winning. He also concludes that the players are terrible and the coaching is a problem.

Cornell doesn't have a high corsi. It's probably the result of some combination of Schafer's overall game plan and not having players who are as fast or as skilled offensively as many of our opponents.

Of course, Lambert isn't watching Cornell games (he watches a lot of Hockey East, but I doubt he has ever turned on a regular season Cornell game outside of maybe Q and Sucks--in which case he regularly sees us getting dominated in possession).

Long story short, take Lambert's opinions with a grain of salt. There's a lot of merit to use corsi and PDO in trying to figure out whether a team's success or lack of success is likely to persist. It's also good for figuring out whether team deserves to be winning games that it's not or vice-versa. But Lambert (a writer on Puck Daddy, by the way) lives and dies by the paper metrics.

Posted by: css228 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2016 11:44PM

ugarte
Trotsky
LaJollaRed
A lot of people here don't think much of Schafer as a coach.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: December 09, 2016 10:04AM

css228
ugarte
Trotsky
LaJollaRed
That's why I didn't think there would be much blowback.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: December 09, 2016 11:20AM

css228

That's a little bit relative considering there's fewer than 20 regular participants here. The vocal "fire Schafer" pitchfork mob numbers about 3-4, which probably equals the "Schafer Forever" club. The majority seems to be in the "the past was great, but we're getting itchy for results again" philosophy. Personally, I thought he might have wanted to try his hand in the pros and if so, he had a great chance to hand the program over to Casey.

If you really think J. Andrew would want to go through an interview process where he has to ask candidates about Corsi QoC and Zone Start Percentage, there's a suspension bridge I'm selling.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 09, 2016 11:27AM

RichH
That's a little bit relative considering there's fewer than 20 regular participants here.

Feels like a bit more. I wonder how many posters made 100 posts in 2016. Age could probably tell us.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2016 05:08PM

lets get cornell admissions to do a better job to help with recruiting and then we can worry about a coach.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2016 07:34AM

upprdeck
lets get cornell admissions to do a better job to help with recruiting and then we can worry about a coach.

Just what kind of help do you want?

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 09:08AM

how about getting kids into school here that have no problem getting admitted into other ivies for starters.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2016 09:56AM

upprdeck
how about getting kids into school here that have no problem getting admitted into other ivies for starters.

Speaking of which it appears Vlad Dzhioshvili will not be attending Cornell, as Heisenberg now lists him as uncommitted. Given the timing, I wonder if it might be admissions related.

Date: December 10, 2016 11:33AM

RichH
css228

That's a little bit relative considering there's fewer than 20 regular participants here. The vocal "fire Schafer" pitchfork mob numbers about 3-4, which probably equals the "Schafer Forever" club. The majority seems to be in the "the past was great, but we're getting itchy for results again" philosophy. Personally, I thought he might have wanted to try his hand in the pros and if so, he had a great chance to hand the program over to Casey.

If you really think J. Andrew would want to go through an interview process where he has to ask candidates about Corsi QoC and Zone Start Percentage, there's a suspension bridge I'm selling.
I seriously doubt anyone in the pros would ever have hired Schafer, at least without going through the minors first. Dave Hakstol was the first college coach hired directly to the NHL since either Mike Keenan or Bob Johnson. In other words, a coach has to have way more success at a much higher level of college hockey to draw the eyes of an NHL GM, and Schafer was never gonna take the pay cut of being a minor league coach.And I don't buy that Andy would even know what those things are. And before you say a coach is more than just getting results at an ivy league school, he's been known to bully players out of majors they want to take because it doesn't conform with playing college hockey. My qualms with him go way beyond what results he gets on the ice.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 11:35AM

css228
RichH
css228

I seriously doubt anyone in the pros would ever have hired Schafer, at least without going through the minors first. Dave Hakstol was the first college coach hired directly to the NHL since either Mike Keenan or Bob Johnson. In other words, a coach has to have way more success at a much higher level of college hockey to draw the eyes of an NHL GM, and Schafer was never gonna take the pay cut of being a minor league coach.And I don't buy that Andy would even know what those things are. And before you say a coach is more than just getting results at an ivy league school, he's been known to bully players out of majors they want to take because it doesn't conform with playing college hockey. My qualms with him go way beyond what results he gets on the ice.
I always thought the assumption was Cornell to NHL assistant, not his own team. That seems plausible to me - or it did when the team was more consistently successful.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 01:33PM

css228
he's been known to bully players out of majors they want to take because it doesn't conform with playing college hockey

Careful, for your sake but mostly for Age's. I'm honestly not sure whether a college hockey coach counts as a "public figure."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2016 01:34PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2016 02:01PM

Trotsky
css228
he's been known to bully players out of majors they want to take because it doesn't conform with playing college hockey

Careful, for your sake but mostly for Age's. I'm honestly not sure whether a college hockey coach counts as a "public figure."

Click one more link on that second page you cite, and you'll see why Age is actually not at nearly as much risk as css228 would be.

[www.eff.org]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: December 10, 2016 02:20PM

Beeeej
Trotsky
css228

Click one more link on that second page you cite, and you'll see why Age is actually not at nearly as much risk as css228 would be.

[www.eff.org]
He's a highly prominent employee of state funded institution. He's absolutely a public figure.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2016 02:42PM

css228
Beeeej
Trotsky
css228

[www.eff.org]
He's a highly prominent employee of state funded institution. He's absolutely a public figure.

Thank you, counselor CSS.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2016 02:47PM by marty.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 03:19PM

css228
And before you say a coach is more than just getting results at an ivy league school, he's been known to bully players out of majors they want to take because it doesn't conform with playing college hockey. My qualms with him go way beyond what results he gets on the ice.
Do you have any evidence of this?

Date: December 10, 2016 03:55PM

BearLover
css228
And before you say a coach is more than just getting results at an ivy league school, he's been known to bully players out of majors they want to take because it doesn't conform with playing college hockey. My qualms with him go way beyond what results he gets on the ice.
Out of respect to the source of this info, I'm not going to out them if that's why you're asking for. They were close with hockey players. They worked in athletics. And they don't make shit up.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 05:15PM

css228
BearLover
css228
Out of respect to the source of this info, I'm not going to out them if that's why you're asking for. They were close with hockey players. They worked in athletics. And they don't make shit up.
It's worth noting that: there seem to have been almost no player disciplinary issues over Schafer's tenure, a very higher percentage of Cornell players stay four years (even the NHL prospects), and a number of our best players have excelled academically as well as athletically (Greening, Scrivens, Iles, McRae twins, etc.).

Not sure if what you're saying is true, but there's not much in Schafer's visible track record to suggest problems off the ice.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2016 05:46PM by BearLover.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 05:35PM

My perception is that Schafer is recruiting smart kids who are also good guys. Now if he can bring in a couple of snipers...

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: December 12, 2016 11:36AM

css228

Just to respond to you putting words in my mouth several times:

1) When I said "pros," I didn't mean the NHL. I never mentioned the NHL. I was thinking the same path that his peers, coaches such as Mark Morris or Brian McCutcheon took, in starting in the low minors/AHL. My thought is that he might not want to be a Jack Parker or Red Berenson and stay into his golden years. Maybe I'm wrong, as I don't know what's in the guy's head, just like you don't know if he's as motivated by money as you just implied.

2) Of course Andy doesn't know what those things are, which was EXACTLY my point.

3) Why on earth did you assume I would say that "more than just results" stuff? I never even implied that.

I'll just step aside now and let you continue your smear campaign or whatever.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2017 01:47PM

113 people who have more than 100 posts (all time) and were active in the last year. That's as close as I can get without doing real work ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login