Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Replacement Song for Swanee/Over There

Posted by kla52 
Replacement Song for Swanee/Over There
Posted by: kla52 (208.99.255.---)
Date: November 30, 2016 09:57PM

I was reading the comments in the Quinnipiac thread and figured I'd start a new one so we can discuss what might be a better replacement tuba cheer. If we can come up with a few songs with the right cadence, I can forward the suggestions to the powers that be. From what I understand, the band really isn't 100% sold on playing Over There as it is.

Also, fun fact: this is my first ever post here, and the first time I've signed on since around 2008.

Re: Replacement Song for Swanee/Over There
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2016 10:21PM

I'll start with what seems to me should be an obvious question: Why is it necessary to figure out what song the tubas can shove sideways into a nearly-decent approximation of the same cadence in order to perpetuate a seven-word cheer? If the song itself (Swanee) is too offensive to keep, maybe it's time to let the cheer die.

Excuse me... I mean, "let the cheer diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee."

Perhaps the tubas could play the Budweiser song once per game as a showcase for their talents. Or perhaps it's time to come up with a new tuba cheer that doesn't have to be wedged into an old tuba cheer just for the sake of perpetuating something that isn't what it used to be anyway.

If you're hell-bent on keeping the cheer, I'll say this based on my experience at MSG this weekend: "Over There" is such a torturously unpleasant fit that I cringed from start to finish. I have a hard time believing there isn't a better option.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2016 10:21PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: kla52 (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: November 30, 2016 11:43PM

Sure - maybe we should just let the cheer die, that is certainly an option. I don't think anyone is hell-bent on keeping the cheer, but I do believe the band/tubas really liked playing Swanee, and I think it's still worth trying to come up with a better replacement than Over There. I figured I'd start the brainstorming venture here, since this forum has some former pep band members and regular game attendees.

The only plausible suggestion I've heard from a friend (so far anyway) was Goodnight Sweetheart, which is a cheer the bones often play outside of pep band.

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 12:13AM

Maybe if the band leader (who I'm assuming made this decision) doesn't want to play Swanee, s/he shouldn't be leading the band.

Let's get rid of Gary Glitter, too. Then let's get rid of "Screw BU." Eventually get rid of Give My Regards to Davy.

Posted by: kla52 (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: December 01, 2016 12:27AM

I'm pretty sure that athletics strongly suggested that the band change the song. It's not about not wanting to play Swanee, it's about having to comply with the demands from a bunch of overly sensitive students (in my opinion).

Oh, and it seems like every year Andy Noel threatens to "not let the band play Gary Glitter" if the student sections keep swearing during the cheer...so far it's been an empty threat, but in today's world, who knows?

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 10:04AM

I am of the opinion that those who run athletics have far too much time on their hands.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 03:38PM

That cheer has been played for what, close to 30 years now (at minimum)..and just now is there apparently someone finding it offensive in some way?

Makes me really want to know whether this is coming straight from athletics or the pep band themselves thought the change needed to be made. If the athletic department mandated this, there isn't much that can be done since we know how they work. If it's a student band decision though, well then I'm embarrassed as a band and pep band alum.

Posted by: Dafatone (206.209.15.---)
Date: December 01, 2016 03:39PM

abmarks
That cheer has been played for what, close to 30 years now (at minimum)..and just now is there apparently someone finding it offensive in some way?

Makes me really want to know whether this is coming straight from athletics or the pep band themselves thought the change needed to be made. If the athletic department mandated this, there isn't much that can be done since we know how they work. If it's a student band decision though, well then I'm embarrassed as a band and pep band alum.

Whether or not the song is offensive/unacceptable isn't really influenced by when people come to that realization, is it?

Date: December 01, 2016 03:51PM

Dafatone
abmarks

Whether or not the song is offensive/unacceptable isn't really influenced by when people come to that realization, is it?

So you are saying that it has always been offensive, but that no-one realized until now? That's ridiculous.

I have no idea whether it was one or many complaints or opinions influencing this as I have no more detail than what is on elynah. That said, societally we are moving down the slippery slope of actively trying to find the far end of the "offensive" tail.

Date: December 01, 2016 03:54PM

Follows the trend of the Cornell "Botanical Gardens"

It's also the state song of Florida, by the way.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 05:33PM

LGR14

I never realized this until just now.

People are fucking stupid.

No, I realized that before. Just not what happened to the Plantations.

I've been arguing the butthurt over "political correctness" has been idiotic for 30 years. Turns out I was wrong. Huh.

There's always this. Short and sweet.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2016 05:41PM

Trotsky
LGR14

I never realized this until just now.

People are fucking stupid.

No, I realized that before. Just not what happened to the Plantations.

I've been arguing the butthurt over "political correctness" has been idiotic for 30 years. Turns out I was wrong. Huh.

There's always this. Short and sweet.

Yeah, then I could call the women who work in my office, girls; just like it used to be. Back when America was "Great". We want that "Again". :-D bolt

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2016 06:59PM

abmarks
That cheer has been played for what, close to 30 years now (at minimum)

This is just off the top of my head, but I am reasonably certain it hasn't been close to thirty years. If I had to set an over/under, I'd set it at fourteen.

If the band somehow decides to bring back "Swanee", could we also perhaps convince them to bring back "Mary Had A Little Lamb" (Fight, Maim, Kill) as well? My fuzzy recollection is that the band stopped playing that because it was considered too violent, but I could be mistaken.

Posted by: gonyr (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2016 10:33PM

andyw2100
abmarks

This is just off the top of my head, but I am reasonably certain it hasn't been close to thirty years. If I had to set an over/under, I'd set it at fourteen.

If the band somehow decides to bring back "Swanee", could we also perhaps convince them to bring back "Mary Had A Little Lamb" (Fight, Maim, Kill) as well? My fuzzy recollection is that the band stopped playing that because it was considered too violent, but I could be mistaken.

As far as I can remember from freshman year, I think both cheers were in existence in 1989-90. They were definitely used in 1992-93.

Date: December 01, 2016 10:51PM

gonyr
andyw2100
abmarks

As far as I can remember from freshman year, I think both cheers were in existence in 1989-90. They were definitely used in 1992-93.

And I said 30 years because it was definitely there when I started playing in pep band during spring of 1987...which in a month's time will be...you guessed it...30 years since then.

I agree with Trotsky. The butthurt sensitivity has always been appalling to me and people are only getting more sensitive.

Countdown until someone gets sensitive about the use of *butthurt* in this thread....

Date: December 01, 2016 11:48PM

gonyr

abmarks
And I said 30 years because it was definitely there when I started playing in pep band during spring of 1987...which in a month's time will be...you guessed it...30 years since then.

I stand corrected. (It just didn't seem that long!)

Sorry!

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 11:55PM

abmarks
gonyr
andyw2100
abmarks

I agree with Trotsky. The butthurt sensitivity has always been appalling to me and people are only getting more sensitive.

Countdown until someone gets sensitive about the use of *butthurt* in this thread....

What about people's butthurt over other people being butthurt?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 02:03AM

abmarks

As another pep band alumnus who is pretty well-removed: I heard through the vine last MSG weekend that there was a petition started on campus to get the band to stop playing it for the historical reasons stated in the other thread. What can you do once it comes to that point? The last thing the Athletics Department and the band wants is for anything related to this to get picked up by any media with any attention. There's no real reason to "make a stand" about this particular cheer, so they have just agreed to change it/end it and move on, butthurt or not.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 07:35AM

abmarks
"Though I know I'm being an asshole, just wait... soon someone's gonna call me an asshole!"

Posted by: kla52 (---.sub-174-199-18.myvzw.com)
Date: December 02, 2016 08:40AM

andyw2100
abmarks

When I was conductor, I really wanted to bring back "Mary Had a Little Lamb" but was turned down, especially since athletics was threatening to keep us from playing Gary Glitter.

Also, on the topic of trying to be politically correct, we tried to push through learning and playing a fantastic arrangement of "Forget You", but then someone decided it was a good idea to ask athletics if "we were allowed to play a song that had alternative lyrics that contained the f word." *sigh*

Date: December 02, 2016 10:00AM

kla52
When I was conductor, I really wanted to bring back "Mary Had a Little Lamb" but was turned down, especially since athletics was threatening to keep us from playing Gary Glitter.

What was the objection to "Fight, Maim, Kill?" Maiming and killing is more violent than dying and dropping dead?

Date: December 02, 2016 10:05AM

andyw2100
kla52

What was the objection to "Fight, Maim, Kill?" Maiming and killing is more violent than dying and dropping dead?

And calling on Bâby to kill someone

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 10:36AM

My recollection on that one is that the trumpets just stopped playing it. Never heard a reason.

Arbitrary decisions like that do happen sometimes. Like stopping playing "Soul Man": it's a matter of people with bad taste not recognizing how awesome a song (and arrangement) is.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2016 12:00PM

LGR14

And calling on Bâby to kill someone
Drifting...

I got a kick out of listening to the animated RIT like fans at Penn State doing their version of "Hey Bâby" last night. ESPNU broadcast their team's dissection of Michigan.

It's also an RIP band favorite played as the fans trudge out of Houston FH after the game. Often my wife and I sing the correct words. Though relatively impossible to know who had it first I assume the NCAA hockey community owes a debt of thanks to Stephen's ancestors.

Date: December 02, 2016 12:42PM

abmarks
You handle your prostate your way...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 12:42PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 02, 2016 12:49PM

kla52
andyw2100
abmarks

Also, on the topic of trying to be politically correct, we tried to push through learning and playing a fantastic arrangement of "Forget You", but then someone decided it was a good idea to ask athletics if "we were allowed to play a song that had alternative lyrics that contained the f word." *sigh*

Fight, maim, kill started in C (then a student section) during my junior year, that was '84. It was a great cheer and no profanity, when the admin cracked down on it was them jumping the shark.

Tubas was great until the dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee stupidity started sometime around (IIRC) the early 90s. It's still great to give the tubas their moment. It should be saved somehow.

(Is this the time to mention that remote control goalie has to go? There is nothing worse than all the numb nuts fixated on yelling "bend over" while the play is in our end and we're trying to prevent a goal.)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 12:51PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 12:49PM

Scersk '97
My recollection on that one is that the trumpets just stopped playing it. Never heard a reason.

This. Played every night when I was a freshman. Barely heard by the time I graduated. It faded away because trumpets....

Posted by: Lauren '06 (66.195.185.---)
Date: December 02, 2016 01:08PM

By the time I came along, nobody was saying "Fight Maim Kill;" it was "This Cheer Sucks."

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2016 10:50AM

Trotsky

(Is this the time to mention that remote control goalie has to go? There is nothing worse than all the numb nuts fixated on yelling "bend over" while the play is in our end and we're trying to prevent a goal.)

Most of the remote control goalie is cute.... Even the "bend over" is funny for the first 5 seconds... After that, it's tedious & makes them look like, oh yes, numb nuts!!!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2016 11:21AM

redice
Trotsky

Most of the remote control goalie is cute.... Even the "bend over" is funny for the first 5 seconds... After that, it's tedious & makes them look like, oh yes, numb nuts!!!
I agree, but how are you going to get them to stop after say 3 bend overs?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-70-209-128.myvzw.com)
Date: December 03, 2016 12:51PM

Trotsky
redice
Trotsky

I agree, but how are you going to get them to stop after say 3 bend overs?

Only start remote control goalie when there's a face-off in that zone. Pretty sure he'll bend over.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2016 02:31PM

redice
Trotsky

I actually like the dragged out version. #1 it shows "dedication" and #2 I think you're more likely to get into the goalies head, if that can even happen.

While not the "bend over" version, one time last night, I think it was during a video review, the students kept up a prolonged "skate, skate,.. turn, skate, skate,..". It was quite funny and since it was quiet, while everyone was waiting, I have to think their goalie knew what was happening.

But most importantly, #3, unless it's obnoxious, we shouldn't discourage any student interest and cheering. That's partially what builds long term interest.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: December 03, 2016 02:41PM

Jim Hyla
redice
Trotsky

I actually like the dragged out version. #1 it shows "dedication" and #2 I think you're more likely to get into the goalies head, if that can even happen.

While not the "bend over" version, one time last night, I think it was during a video review, the students kept up a prolonged "skate, skate,.. turn, skate, skate,..". It was quite funny and since it was quiet, while everyone was waiting, I have to think their goalie knew what was happening.

But most importantly, #3, unless it's obnoxious, we shouldn't discourage any student interest and cheering. That's partially what builds long term interest.

Yup. Personally, I think it's a little dumb, but we could do worse than a little dumb.

Posted by: KGR11 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2016 03:24PM

kla52
andyw2100
abmarks

Did you want to bring back Mary in 2010? I don't remember turning it down, but I do remember the Gary Glitter threat.

Reading up on Swanee's history, I can see how it can be found offensive. That said, I doubt the band or anyone in Lynah ever sang the racist lyrics. Is it offensive to play, but not sing, a racist song? Colin Kaepernick probably says yes. If it is, I would argue that the most offensive song the band ever played is not Swanee but the Nazi Germany national anthem. It happens to be the current German anthem (with changed lyrics) and we played it for Krueger's senior night.

Can't say I blame the band. If there was a protest against Swanee while I was in charge, I'd probably do what they're doing now.

Date: December 03, 2016 04:37PM

KGR11
kla52
andyw2100
abmarks

Did you want to bring back Mary in 2010? I don't remember turning it down, but I do remember the Gary Glitter threat.

Reading up on Swanee's history, I can see how it can be found offensive. That said, I doubt the band or anyone in Lynah ever sang the racist lyrics. Is it offensive to play, but not sing, a racist song? Colin Kaepernick probably says yes. If it is, I would argue that the most offensive song the band ever played is not Swanee but the Nazi Germany national anthem. It happens to be the current German anthem (with changed lyrics) and we played it for Krueger's senior night.

Can't say I blame the band. If there was a protest against Swanee while I was in charge, I'd probably do what they're doing now.

It's also the state song of Florida. It was put on the Lynah Faithful t-shirts 3-4 years ago. The song, as it is used in Lynah, is directed at opposing teams, not members of any particular race. (I know you're not necessarily advocating for its elimination, but I just wanted to make the point again that it's ridiculous -- albeit not surprising -- for Cornell/its students to get choked up over this kind of crap when there are real issues to worry about on campus)

Date: December 03, 2016 05:56PM

Jim Hyla

Fair point. I feel shame.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 04, 2016 02:01AM

While we're on the topic of identifying the dumbest cheers, IMO the nerdiest/most cringe-inducing chant by far, and the only one I refused to take part in at Lynah, was the "Hi ho, Silver, away!" cheer + hand motions.

Date: December 04, 2016 08:56AM

Personally, I think the telephone cheer is becoming ridiculous. The intros for the call recipients used to be way more concise.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2016 09:11AM

is that a cheer since most of the crowd cant here only 20% of what is said any more. give them a megaphone.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: December 04, 2016 09:36AM

KGR11
Personally, I think the telephone cheer is becoming ridiculous. The intros for the call recipients used to be way more concise.
Some of the funniest things I've heard at Lynah were telephone cheers with ridiculously long, involved intros with lots of detail about the player in question. But the person doing it needs to be really loud.

Date: December 04, 2016 10:37AM

upprdeck
is that a cheer since most of the crowd cant here only 20% of what is said any more. give them a megaphone.
In C, only 2 sections away, it is completely inaudible. I doubt anybody can hear it in the building except A and B. It's basically an inside joke cheer (nothing wrong with that, the funniest things I've heard in the barn were one offs only about a hundred people heard).

Date: December 04, 2016 11:30AM

Kyle Rose
KGR11
Some of the funniest things I've heard at Lynah were telephone cheers with ridiculously long, involved intros with lots of detail about the player in question. But the person doing it needs to be really loud.

That's a fair point. The last time I was in section A (last year, Friday before senior night), I couldn't hear them. I started concentrating on trying to hear them than watching the game and cheering myself. The longevity of the cheer exacerbated the problem.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: December 05, 2016 12:26PM

My favorite cheer was at Princeton when Grant Goeckner-Zoeller was on their team. The Pep Band did "Give me a G, Give me an O, ... Give me a HYPHEN......what's that spell?" followed by indistinct mumbling

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2016 04:10PM

Loud he was in Lake Placid 3? years ago in the seminfinal game vs. Union. The details on the goalie were deep, long, and loud. IIRC, the girlfriend switched ends to be closer to the guy. After the chant, she fled the immediate vicinity.

Posted by: kla52 (208.99.255.---)
Date: December 06, 2016 06:13PM

KGR11
kla52
andyw2100
abmarks

Yeah I did want to bring it back, but was met with hesitation...and when I asked a few upperclassmen what they thought they didn't seem to be too excited about it, so I figured it was a dead issue.

Whether or not one disagrees with the decision of the band to get rid of Swanee is not really the issue...it's more of a "we should try to find a better song than 'Over There''.

Also - apparently the band has been asked by multiple opposing rinks to not play Gonna Fly Now into Gary Glitter...

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: December 07, 2016 10:34AM

kla52

Also - apparently the band has been asked by multiple opposing rinks to not play Gonna Fly Now into Gary Glitter...

Yup. I would too, if I were they. Just causes too many Big Red rallies.moon

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: December 07, 2016 11:04AM

kla52

Luckily, our fans are well practiced at singing this loudly. Now if we could only get a large number of students to travel to road games again...

Date: December 07, 2016 12:34PM

RichH
kla52

Luckily, our fans are well practiced at singing this loudly. Now if we could only get a large number of students to travel to road games again...

If Athletics figured out how to get a yellow school bus to transport students to games, it would happen. The tradition has obviously died (exception for Harvard and Colgate), so it needs to be jumpstarted. People would fill up a school bus no problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login