Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Colgate 11/29

Posted by cth95 
Cornell-Colgate 11/29
Posted by: cth95 (107.77.106.---)
Date: November 27, 2016 07:08PM

I will be relatively near Hamilton Tuesday and hope to get to the game. Does anyone know the best section to get a seat?

Re: Cornell-Colgate 11/29
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2016 07:09AM

cth95
I will be relatively near Hamilton Tuesday and hope to get to the game. Does anyone know the best section to get a seat?

Since it's a brand new rink, it's hard to say. Here's the seating chart. I have tickets from CU, but they're at home. So I don't know which sections are for visitors or where the band will be standing.

Date: November 28, 2016 01:01PM

CornellBigRed says the game will be broadcast for free by the Patriot League.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2016 01:09PM

Thanks for finding and posting that, Jim.

Posted by: Iceberg (172.56.23.---)
Date: November 28, 2016 05:16PM

This is the start of a pretty significant stretch in terms of pairwise position. Cornell really can't afford to lose this game considering how poorly Colgate has played this season. On Saturday they lost a close one in Providence, so there's no rest difference between these teams (unlike with Miami on the weekend).

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2016 09:25PM

My seats, obtained from CU, are in Sec 8, if that helps.

Posted by: cth95 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2016 11:23PM

That sounds good. Close to the candy then :)

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 06:54AM

Up, up and away!
On to Hamilton!!

cheer

Date: November 29, 2016 07:04AM

Johnny 5

Up, up and away!
On to Hamilton!!

cheer

You're back, thanks.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 07:13AM

Always a pleasure.
And, my best to all.

"LGR!!"
banana

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2016 09:48AM

This has a bit of "trap" game karma. We're coming off the high of the MSG win for a quick turnaround against a team that considers Cornell it's biggest rival. Hopefully the boys with be up to the task.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: November 29, 2016 01:41PM

Back to the previous Roku discussion, does anyone know a way to stream the patriot league feed through the Roku?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2016 05:27PM

CU2007

Back to the previous Roku discussion, does anyone know a way to stream the patriot league feed through the Roku?

Great idea. I went here and after being baffled by their asking for a password I fired up my ROKU. I added the channel called "Livestream" and I searched for "Colgate" and up popped a future event "11.29.16 Cornell at Colgate"!

I wasn't planning to do it this way. I hope it works as well as the ILDN channel on ROKU. The page that I linked to above lists the Google Play store and Apple App Store as places to download the Livestream app. So for those without a TV to watch your phone or tablet is an option.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 06:47PM

you could also mirror it to your roku from some other device

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 29, 2016 07:56PM

Anyone else not getting any audio when they mirror from iPad to AppleTV? The iPad audio itself is fine, but don't want to watch it there with two people.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 29, 2016 08:32PM

Beeeej
Anyone else not getting any audio when they mirror from iPad to AppleTV? The iPad audio itself is fine, but don't want to watch it there with two people.

Never mind - it just suddenly came back after a few minutes.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Iceberg (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: November 29, 2016 08:58PM

I don't think I've heard an announcer as critical as this guy doing the game right now. One would think this edition of Colgate is good for nothing.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 09:27PM

Iceberg
I don't think I've heard an announcer as critical as this guy doing the game right now. One would think this edition of Colgate is good for nothing.
This is pretty much what I came over here to type! He seems palpably depressed by having to watch them all the time.

That said, having watched only the third period, Colgate didn't look very good. They had a couple of bursts on offense - one of which led to their second goal - but mostly spent the period getting knocked off of the puck.

Cornell looked very good defensively and even had some good work in the offensive zone. It was a fun period to watch.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2016 09:28PM

Iceberg

Yeah, that guy was the anti-homer

Date: November 29, 2016 09:46PM

ugarte
Iceberg
This is pretty much what I came over here to type! He seems palpably depressed by having to watch them all the time.

That said, having watched only the third period, Colgate didn't look very good.

Yeah, I don't think he was overly critical, he just knows Colgate's weaknesses well and doesn't sugarcoat them. He was clearly knowledgeable about the game, about Cornell, and about Vaughan and Schafer, and offered a pretty steady stream of genuine analysis. I'd be thrilled if all the play-by-play guys in the ECAC were this good.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 09:47PM

I think that may have been the best PBP I've heard since Grady. The guy knew all the personnel, called a very good game, appeared to actually be proficient with the rules (I know, but hey, listen around the league sometime) and even dispensed timely grooming tips for Matt Nuttle.

This is in contrast with the Colgate PA moron, who is without doubt the most embarrassing in the league if not all of college hockey.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 09:48PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.123.---)
Date: November 29, 2016 09:48PM

Considering the fact that we have four regulars out with injuries, and have had only two home games at Lynah, having a 5-3-1 record at this point is respectable.

As for the Colgate announcer, it was nice not to have a "homer" announcer doing the broadcast. Colgate is now 3-8-4 and it sounds like he's bracing for a long season.

Date: November 29, 2016 09:49PM

dbilmes
Considering the fact that we have four regulars out with injuries
Jason made it sound like Bliss, Kubiak, and Tschantz might be gone for the whole season. Ugh.

Date: November 29, 2016 09:54PM

dbilmes
having a 5-3-1 record at this point is respectable
I agree and I think they look good so far. My two worries are: (1) if the injuries are long term those kids are going to get banged up with no reserves, and (2) we've played some bad teams so far, and the two good squads we have played beat us.

League games 9-12 ("Amen Corner"?) will be Qpc, Clk, SLU, and Hvd. A 14-day stretch against the current PWR 10, 18, 17, and 11. That's when we're going to find out what's what.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 09:56PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 10:09PM

Trotsky
dbilmes
Jason made it sound like Bliss, Kubiak, and Tschantz might be gone for the whole season. Ugh.
What did he say?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2016 10:15PM

Trotsky
dbilmes

I thought I'd heard/read that Bliss and Kubiak would likely be back after the New Year and that only Tschantz was likely gone for the long-haul. But if Bliss and Kubiak are in fact gone for the year, that will be a tough blow.

Date: November 30, 2016 07:08AM

Beeeej
ugarte
Iceberg

That said, having watched only the third period, Colgate didn't look very good.

Yeah, I don't think he was overly critical, he just knows Colgate's weaknesses well and doesn't sugarcoat them. He was clearly knowledgeable about the game, about Cornell, and about Vaughan and Schafer, and offered a pretty steady stream of genuine analysis. I'd be thrilled if all the play-by-play guys in the ECAC were this good.

#1 Colgate is not a good team this year.

#2 After leaving the game, I only caught the last minute or so of his post-game report. It sounded like the same announcer that has been calling Colgate games for years, by himself, which is a lot harder.

#3 I didn't hear the broadcast, but if it was the same person, he loves Colgate hockey and I'd have to agree that he was probably only being realistic.

Date: November 30, 2016 07:29AM

ugarte
Iceberg

That said, having watched only the third period, Colgate didn't look very good. They had a couple of bursts on offense - one of which led to their second goal - but mostly spent the period getting knocked off of the puck.

Cornell looked very good defensively and even had some good work in the offensive zone. It was a fun period to watch.

Too bad you didn't see the first period. It was like Colgate wasn't even on the ice.

We looked good, but Colgate is bad and I have to go along with "Trotsky's" comments:

we've played some bad teams so far, and the two good squads we have played beat us.

League games 9-12 ("Amen Corner"?) will be Qpc, Clk, SLU, and Hvd. A 14-day stretch against the current PWR 10, 18, 17, and 11. That's when we're going to find out what's what.

I'll believe this team can go far into the postseason when they put away teams like Colgate (and we don't have to worry that somehow this will go to OT and we might end up losing) and they start beating some good teams. Time will tell, but considering that we're injured and a young team, this has been a good way to start a season.

As a few asides, I was overjoyed to see McCarron get those goals. He's been a great D man for all his time here. His offensive talents were always evident and I hope he can have a breakout year.

This year Angello has reminded me of Ferlin, a player with great offensive talents, but who for some reason just can't get everything to come together to score a lot. Hopefully that'll change.

I hope that this game can put to rest the idea that we don't want to play an uptempo offense. It truly showed in possession and aggressiveness, if not in goals. We sholud have had 5 or 6.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-142.myvzw.com)
Date: November 30, 2016 09:46AM

Jim Hyla
#1 Colgate is not a good team this year.

#2 After leaving the game, I only caught the last minute or so of his post-game report. It sounded like the same announcer that has been calling Colgate games for years, by himself, which is a lot harder.

#3 I didn't hear the broadcast, but if it was the same person, he loves Colgate hockey and I'd have to agree that he was probably only being realistic.

At the end of the video streaming (before the post game that you heard) he made a comment after they went to commercial that he wanted to get home and into bed. He's surely at his day job this morning and is probably glad the Tuesday night games are few.

I did think he was the antithesis of a homer. He's looking at Colgate with sadness I think.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 30, 2016 10:13AM

I too am hearing good shot at getting two of them back at some point.

to have played this many games and not really be at home is crazy. the merrimack loss wasnt good but it was game one and we were down 3-0 and amlost came back, then Dartmouth who is pwr 20 and harvard pwr 11 to start out. since then only scored less than 3 once and that was Quin in a game that had a couple tough bounces and was pretty evenly played.

long season and really need to get these 2 at home this weekend and play well in florida so that PWR doesnt come back and haunt us again late in the year.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.108.---)
Date: November 30, 2016 10:15AM

Thought the announcer was great - very professional compared to some of the garbage we've been forced to listen to (Dartmouth comes to mind). Also thought the production was good - crisp camera changes, succinct replays. But, I did keep getting weird clips from The Office in the middle of the play. What was that?

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: November 30, 2016 10:34AM

marty

I did think he was the antithesis of a homer. He's looking at Colgate with sadness I think.

He's pretty active online, from what I remember. IIRC, he was pretty responsive to lots fans on the USCHO board. According to his twitter profile, he's an IC grad: [twitter.com]

His timbre and pacing isn't my favorite, but he is quite the card in using flowery phrases.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2016 11:18AM

RichH
marty

He's pretty active online, from what I remember. IIRC, he was pretty responsive to lots fans on the USCHO board. According to his twitter profile, he's an IC grad: [twitter.com]

His timbre and pacing isn't my favorite, but he is quite the card in using flowery phrases.

With some minor quibbles, certainly one of the better PBP guys in the ECAC

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 30, 2016 11:20AM

CU2007
Thought the announcer was great - very professional compared to some of the garbage we've been forced to listen to (Dartmouth comes to mind). Also thought the production was good - crisp camera changes, succinct replays. But, I did keep getting weird clips from The Office in the middle of the play. What was that?
The Office clips were always jokes about Andy Bernard's Cornell connection.

I thought the announcer was very good technically too but that didn't mean there wasn't also a clearly detectable disappointment in his voice. Even without sugarcoating, most home announcers try not to suck the hope out of the listeners.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2016 01:18PM

ugarte

I wondered about these too. Perhaps they were a little "hack", inserted by one or more Colgate students involved in the video production, in an attempt to poke fun at Cornell?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 01:35PM

andyw2100
ugarte

I wondered about these too. Perhaps they were a little "hack", inserted by one or more Colgate students involved in the video production, in an attempt to poke fun at Cornell?

I assumed we were seeing what was on the video board in the building.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 02:41PM

Chris '03
That was my impression, too. Those kind of video clips reek of the kind of "haw haw" comedy you get when it comes down from corporate. Anodyne and 10 years out of date.

Speaking of which, why is rink music still from the 80s? That's the equivalent of Mitch Miller and Guy Lombardo being played when I was a student.

I know Boomers stubbornly refuse to die, but why do we have to keep listening to the same crap that has been filling rinks since 1983? Don't the little numb nuts of today want to throw all that stuff in a lime pit and make the big move to, say, 1997?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2016 02:44PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 09:02PM

Trotsky
I know Boomers stubbornly refuse to die, but why do we have to keep listening to the same crap that has been filling rinks since 1983? Don't the little numb nuts of today want to throw all that stuff in a lime pit and make the big move to, say, 1997?
"Don't Stop Believing" will be planned at your grandchildren's weddings and funerals.

On the plus side, some mainstream TV commercial this week had Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" (ca. 1970) as background music.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 09:56PM

Trotsky
Is this argument going to resonate on the board that was defending Swanee? Those songs aren't old enough!

And come on "Cornell is easier to get into than Phyllis" is a decent version of "safety school".

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2016 11:51AM

Chris '03
andyw2100
ugarte

Yes, they were on the video board.

Date: December 01, 2016 12:24PM

ugarte
And come on "Cornell is easier to get into than Phyllis" is a decent version of "safety school".

As in Cloris Leachman? Lars Lindstrom's widow?

That is what I call a quality reference.

Edit: no it isn't. I crossed wired between The Office and the songs are too old topics. As you were.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2016 12:25PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 08:07PM

Does anyone know why some schools like Colgate have piped in music and a band? Between the jock rock and our visiting band, the home band has to spend most of their time twiddling their thumbs (or drumsticks).

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 01:36AM

cth95
Does anyone know why some schools like Colgate have piped in music and a band? Between the jock rock and our visiting band, the home band has to spend most of their time twiddling their thumbs (or drumsticks).

"Some schools?" Try ALL schools. This is my biggest complaint about college hockey these days. Other than Clarkson (I hope) and Cornell, there's not a rink in the country I've been to that doesn't have terrible piped in DJ crap. In fact, I'm willing to say that I think that the ECAC is the only league (OK, I'm allowing my imagination to consider that Atlantic Hockey does this) that allows visiting bands anymore. And when the CU band goes into opposing rinks, take a look. Most arenas give the CU pep band conductor some sort of headset to communicate with the press box. The fact that some idiot in completly-empty-Meehan thinks that it's pretty important that someone absolutely needs to press play on some device to blast some bullshit Katy Perry* song rather than have one of the two bands full of eager students in the building play for the crowd makes me SICK.

ECAC RINKS: LET THE BANDS PLAY. STICK YOUR PLAYLISTS UP YOUR ASS.

*No offense to Ms. Perry. She is welcome over anytime for some apƩritifs and engaging conversation.

Date: December 02, 2016 06:18AM

cth95

Is this only with hockey? I no longer go to many other sporting events, so I don't really know what happens in other sports. I do know I hate it. At least at Colgate it wasn't so loud that you couldn't talk to people around you. Some others are much worse. And let me throw in that SLU doesn't have a band, so maybe they have some reason, but...

Date: December 02, 2016 08:38AM

Jim Hyla
cth95

Is this only with hockey? I no longer go to many other sporting events, so I don't really know what happens in other sports. I do know I hate it. At least at Colgate it wasn't so loud that you couldn't talk to people around you. Some others are much worse. And let me throw in that SLU doesn't have a band, so maybe they have some reason, but...

I miss the brief halcyon days at SLU when they had a lone, incompetent keyboard player up on a platform. I think we hurt his feelings pretty badly.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 10:38AM

In my recollection they made it all the way to about a six-strong combo at one point. They still sucked badly.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 12:29PM

Scersk '97
In my recollection they made it all the way to about a six-strong combo at one point. They still sucked badly.

Nah, they got about 12-15 people whenever we rolled in. And their leader/organizer was an oboist.

Date: December 02, 2016 12:30PM

Things seen on the platform at Appleton through the years:

1. An organist of some sort
2. Once, a small band contingent I think from a local HS
3. Very cold cheerleaders
4. A guy with signage for the local mob-connected pizza place
5. Debris from some sort of 4H show

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-141.myvzw.com)
Date: December 02, 2016 01:14PM

Trotsky

Mobbist!

Date: December 02, 2016 04:20PM

marty
Trotsky

Mobbist!
Proudly.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 04:29PM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login