Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lynah Rink Review

Posted by Stadium_Visits 
Lynah Rink Review
Posted by: Stadium_Visits (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2016 09:18PM

Hey everyone...I have a passion for sports travel and visiting various arenas and stadiums around the country. They are reviewed on my website and I just got back from a trip to Ithaca, having gone to a hockey game last Saturday. It's tough to get all the nuances of an arena and an average feel for a crowd in just one visit, so I'm curious from those that are familiar with Lynah Rink on what your overall thoughts are about it and the general experience. I know this probably is a hot-button topic, so I hope no nerves are struck as my perspective is from an outsider's look at the experience. Thanks!

Lynah Rink Review

Re: Lynah Rink Review
Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2016 11:30PM

This seems pretty fair. I'm happy that you recognized that the student section generally did its part in creating an atmosphere. One area I wish Lynah would improve in is the contribution by the non-student sections. Besides the goal chant and cowbell, I don't think those sitting outside Sections B and A (and maybe D?) participate in most of the cheers.

I wonder how it would contribute to the energy if Lynah were to move Section D to Section N. Though I guess the school would be wary about putting the student section behind the opponent's bench.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2016 11:53PM

How nice of you to visit the "prestigious and private" university to evaluate Lynah Rink. Where you question seating capacity in such a small little barn and say "4,267 [is] a number that seems precise," you understate the case. 4,267 indeed has "precision" and that cannot be questioned; perhaps you mean you wonder about its "accuracy." [www.ncsu.edu]

The "low roof held together by wooden boards and wires," those boards are laminated veneer lumber and pound for pound are stronger than steel; some of the thick "wires" are actually steel rods that hold everything in place. But seriously: If one were to ask other schools in the ECAC and Ivy League, almost to a one the players would say the most memorable away game each year is Cornell because of the atmosphere and the fans; they actually look forward to it because people actually care about college hockey at Lynah. Sometimes the worth of a facility (Fenway Park, Wrigley Field) is more than the sum of the rankings of individual features.

It is correct that Cornell has "plenty of historical buildings." Princeton, Harvard and the other Ivies feel that way about their campuses, too.

If one were to knock Lynah, it would be worth noting the lighting is not even across the ice surface, and the nearness of the roof makes it harder to secure good camera angles. TV / streaming video is getting to be more important to alumni, players' parents, and recruits.

PS It was intriguing to see the text file on WordPress is actually a GIF. It was a bitch to read on the phone. Maybe a GIF makes it hard for others to steal your work and repost. Good thought.

Sounds like you had a treacherous, snowy ride home. Suggestion: If you keep at this year-round, invest in a pair of Bridgestone Blizzak or Michelin Pilot Super Sport winter tires. $400-$500 plus the cost of four steel wheels. Stay alive to come back and visit again.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2016 12:00AM by billhoward.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.108.---)
Date: November 28, 2016 08:58AM

Stadium_Visits
Hey everyone...I have a passion for sports travel and visiting various arenas and stadiums around the country. They are reviewed on my website and I just got back from a trip to Ithaca, having gone to a hockey game last Saturday. It's tough to get all the nuances of an arena and an average feel for a crowd in just one visit, so I'm curious from those that are familiar with Lynah Rink on what your overall thoughts are about it and the general experience. I know this probably is a hot-button topic, so I hope no nerves are struck as my perspective is from an outsider's look at the experience. Thanks!

Lynah Rink Review

Some people want a rich history, an engaged crowd, and a great atmosphere ... some people want valet parking, jumbotrons, and sushi on the menu.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.jordanhospital.org)
Date: November 28, 2016 09:39AM

CU2007
Some people want...sushi on the menu.
Others prefer their dead fish on the ice.drive

Posted by: Iceberg (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: November 28, 2016 11:16AM

I actually found the review quite accurate in many respects. It almost felt like I was back at the old rink, even though it has been 2 years.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 28, 2016 02:22PM

Iceberg
I actually found the review quite accurate in many respects. It almost felt like I was back at the old rink, even though it has been 2 years.
Of course it's accurate. "History" is only meaningful to people who want to connect with it. Otherwise the building is what it is.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2016 11:09PM

Al DeFlorio
CU2007

Haw!!!!rock

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 29, 2016 11:39AM

No real complaints, other than that Cornell is both public and private and the use of "thru." Can't really defend the atmosphere these days. It's gotten pretty awful.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: November 29, 2016 06:20PM

CowbellGuy
No real complaints, other than that Cornell is both public and private and the use of "thru." Can't really defend the atmosphere these days. It's gotten pretty awful.

While watching the QU/PU weekend on ILDN, it was pretty weird to note many times that I could clearly hear the on-ice players yelling things over the crowd. We've hacked the possible reasons to death here, but its noticeable. I'm coming to terms with it: the student sections now are mostly made up of show-up-late and only-cheer-for-goals types of fans. There's no way for the vaunted Lynah atmosphere to live up to its reputation for a first-time visitor anymore other than "go to the Harvard game."

As for the article, it's fair. Although, you always see worse-than-normal attendance for the ECAC playoffs around the league for a couple reasons.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 06:35PM by RichH.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 06:49PM

RichH
While watching the QU/PU weekend on ILDN, it was pretty weird to note many times that I could clearly hear the on-ice players yelling things over the crowd. We've hacked the possible reasons to death here, but its noticeable. I'm coming to terms with it: the student sections now are mostly made up of show-up-late and only-cheer-for-goals types of fans. There's no way for the vaunted Lynah atmosphere to live up to its reputation for a first-time visitor anymore other than "go to the Harvard game."

As you say, we've talked this to death, but I don't agree it is irreparable. Yes, the little numb nuts are addicted to their phone dildos and they have the attention span of gnats, but we were likewise little numb nuts and we had our distractions too (for example we spoke to one another using our mouths and eyes, which is as distracting as a screen if you're doing it right). I do not think the little numb nuts are the problem. I think losing is the problem, and my evidence is the 93-95 drought when a dildoless vintage of numb nuts were just as bad or worse.

In the best of times, no more than 10% of students will make noise without prompting. 90% are casual followers there for face time. They are a passive substance that needs a catalyst, and the greatest catalyst ever found is winning. The team has not been providing that catalyst. The second-best catalyst is exciting play, and Mike, and I say this advisedly given that I love him dearly, has been a fun sponge for a decade now. His idea of a solid 60 minutes is piling stones on top of each other, and that can be tedious to watch.

Posted by: css228 (141.161.133.---)
Date: November 29, 2016 08:06PM

Trotsky
RichH
His idea of a solid 60 minutes is piling stones on top of each other, and that can be tedious to watch.
This.. and I'm a huge hockey fan. He's like Ken Hitchcock without the success.

Date: November 29, 2016 09:42PM

css228
Trotsky
RichH
His idea of a solid 60 minutes is piling stones on top of each other, and that can be tedious to watch.
In its day it was incredibly successful. In the 17 seasons between 1996 and 2012 Schafer led us to the ECAC Championship Game 10 times and the NCAA Tournament 9 times. That's great. The game has changed but this team looks like it has changed as well, and not just in style but in personnel. I believe Mike knows there's no going back, and this product is much more fun to watch. All that needs to follow now is success on the ice. :)

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 10:08PM

Trotsky
css228
Trotsky
RichH
In its day it was incredibly successful. In the 17 seasons between 1996 and 2012 Schafer led us to the ECAC Championship Game 10 times and the NCAA Tournament 9 times. That's great. The game has changed but this team looks like it has changed as well, and not just in style but in personnel. I believe Mike knows there's no going back, and this product is much more fun to watch. All that needs to follow now is success on the ice. :)

Again, beaten to death and all that, but it's not like our recent lull has been THAT bad. Two seasons around .500 and two seasons where we were the first team out of the tourney.

I'd wager that two thirds of college hockey would take that.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 07:44AM

Al DeFlorio
CU2007
+1

Posted by: css228 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 11:17AM

Trotsky
css228
Trotsky
RichH
Yes but in the last half decade that's 1 NCAA tournament and ECAC title game appearance, while being also a complete fun suck. The results matter, but the least they could do is be fun to watch if they're not going to win.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 11:56AM

css228
Trotsky
css228
Trotsky
RichH
Yes but in the last half decade that's 1 NCAA tournament and ECAC title game appearance, while being also a complete fun suck. The results matter, but the least they could do is be fun to watch if they're not going to win.

They have certainly been a lot more fun to watch this year. It seems like we want to continue to beat the horse, but this one is not dead and it seems to be improving. I much prefer to go through life looking forward, rather than back.

Posted by: Stadium_Visits (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 03:29PM

Thanks for the feedback and I made some tweaks based on some of the responses.

The whole diminished atmosphere aspect is an unfortunate theme I've seen in several places, mostly due to the common reasons that have been stated. The only place I've been in that the crowd/band gave me goosebumps (and it wasn't a big game) was a VCU Basketball game at the Siegel Center.

I'm sure for long-time fans, it is frustrating and I can empathize as a Sabres fan as that building is too often a library (even when they don't suck). However, Lynah was a fun place to watch a game and it's still a better setting than many others in the NCAA and ECAC, even in spite of comfort level in watching the game.

Date: November 30, 2016 03:31PM

Jim Hyla
css228
Trotsky
css228
Trotsky
RichH

They have certainly been a lot more fun to watch this year. It seems like we want to continue to beat the horse, but this one is not dead and it seems to be improving. I much prefer to go through life looking forward, rather than back.
Once again, more is a relative term, and it wasn't a high bar to clear. They're still not playing what I'd call entertaining hockey.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 05:21PM

css228
They're still not playing what I'd call entertaining hockey.

I disagree. I love the pressure and the strong forecheck. I'm really enjoying this team.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 07:39PM

one thing that you can only control so much of is scoring goals. the goalie still only has to move inches to make a save most of the time. you can do 99% of the play right and still get shut out.. the passing and hitting have to be enjoyed too or much of the night will still boring

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 09:54PM

Stadium_Visits
Thanks for the feedback and I made some tweaks based on some of the responses.

The whole diminished atmosphere aspect is an unfortunate theme I've seen in several places, mostly due to the common reasons that have been stated. The only place I've been in that the crowd/band gave me goosebumps (and it wasn't a big game) was a VCU Basketball game at the Siegel Center.

I'm sure for long-time fans, it is frustrating and I can empathize as a Sabres fan as that building is too often a library (even when they don't suck). However, Lynah was a fun place to watch a game and it's still a better setting than many others in the NCAA and ECAC, even in spite of comfort level in watching the game.
An admirable response to a bunch of prickly folks getting defensive.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 11:49PM

Easiest way to improve the atmosphere is to lower ticket prices. If the games aren't selling out, it's absurd to charge students $250 or whatever it is these days for season tickets. I knew so many people who would have gotten tix if they weren't so expensive. It's even more absurd that profits from hockey are funding sports that no one cares about. (Season tickets should still cost something, so that only committed fans buy them.)

The crappy atmosphere is a bigger problem than people on these forums acknowledge. The Lynah Faithful, packed arenas, and wild fans is Cornell's biggest recruiting tool relative to similarly situated hockey programs (other ECAC schools especially). Read any interview with a player and they'll mention one of the reasons they chose Cornell was the fan base. Losing may explain the atmosphere, but soon the atmosphere will explain the losing.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: December 01, 2016 09:18AM

As a parent of a current numb nut (and I am not offended on his behalf...my opinion of him alternates between smart-ass and dumb-ass), I can assure you that in most cases, cost is NOT the issue. The overall apathy and lack of school spirit is widespread, and attendance at Lynah is just collateral damage.

Date: December 01, 2016 12:18PM

nshapiro
As a parent of a current numb nut (and I am not offended on his behalf...my opinion of him alternates between smart-ass and dumb-ass)
Good, that is healthy. If you don't want to sell your child to a Russian copper mine between the ages of 16 and 25, they're not doing it right.

Date: December 01, 2016 12:44PM

Trotsky
nshapiro
As a parent of a current numb nut (and I am not offended on his behalf...my opinion of him alternates between smart-ass and dumb-ass)
Good, that is healthy. If you don't want to sell your child to a Russian copper mine between the ages of 16 and 25, they're not doing it right.

We also have provided a sufficiently unsatisfactory home life, so there is no chance my kids will ever move back in.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2016 03:30PM by nshapiro.

Date: December 01, 2016 01:49PM

nshapiro
As a parent of a current numb nut (and I am not offended on his behalf...my opinion of him alternates between smart-ass and dumb-ass), I can assure you that in most cases, cost is NOT the issue. The overall apathy and lack of school spirit is widespread, and attendance at Lynah is just collateral damage.
Sure, in "most" cases among Cornell students that's true. Except here we're talking about attracting a couple hundred extra students to fill out Lynah, not turning out the entire Engineering school. Halving the price of season tickets to $125 would fill the empty Lynah benches for sure. And this kind of thing builds on itself. Full rinks-->better atmosphere for first-timers-->Cornell Hockey more a "hot thing" to do on weekends-->better recruits-->more winning-->fuller rinks-->even better atmosphere-->etc.

Winning matters somewhat, but ticket prices are a much easier fix.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2016 01:51PM by BearLover.

Date: December 01, 2016 02:45PM

nshapiro
Trotsky
nshapiro

We also have provided a sufficiently unsatisfactory home life, so there is no chance my kids will ever to move back in.
You'd be amazed how they seep back in, like ants. Or mold.

Move and don't leave a forwarding address. It's the only way to be sure.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2016 02:46PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 01, 2016 03:29PM

Trotsky
nshapiro
Trotsky
nshapiro

We also have provided a sufficiently unsatisfactory home life, so there is no chance my kids will ever to move back in.

Wise you are

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2016 04:10PM

Trotsky
nshapiro
Trotsky
nshapiro

I actually knew someone (now deceased) who returned from his US Navy days to his parents home, only to find they had moved... He actually walked into the house & found strangers living there... His parents never told him about the move.... That must have shaken him to his core....

Date: December 01, 2016 06:42PM

are student tickets really $250? thats the same as reg tickets for the townies.

Im not sure how much lowering the price helps though.. many schools are in the $100 or free and struggle to get people in the seats.. i think ADs saw hockey as the cash cow and raised prices to the point even the townie side has said enough.. there is no demand other than 1-2 games so why buy season tickets when i can get in any single game pretty easy.. its not like vast difference in the seats exists.

Date: December 01, 2016 06:44PM

I found that it was $199 .. thats at least $100 too high to me.. they really should price seasons at a discount from per game tickets so people feel some reward.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 07:35PM

Is he reviewing the same rink?

whistle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 07:47AM by Johnny 5.

Date: December 01, 2016 08:27PM

upprdeck
I found that it was $199 .. thats at least $100 too high to me.. they really should price seasons at a discount from per game tickets so people feel some reward.
Oh, student tickets are down to $199? Slightly cheaper than when I attended a few years ago.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2016 08:28PM by BearLover.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2016 09:12PM

BearLover

Oh, student tickets are down to $199? Slightly cheaper than when I attended a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure the student season tickets now include the three (possible) home playoff games, with refunds available if those games (or one of those games) is not played. I also believe the ECAC sets the price on those tickets, and that the set price is about $15 per game. Assuming this is all true, the real cost of the non-playoffs portion of the season is about $150 for (this year) fifteen home games. So the students are paying about $10 per game, for the ability to sit in the student sections.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't think lowering student ticket prices is the answer. For every student that might consider $10 per game a little too much to spend, and thus doesn't buy season tickets, there are probably ten who are just adding the cost of the tickets to their bursar bill and letting their parents foot the bill.

I certainly agree there are issues with the students, and student attendance, but I don't think the cost of the tickets is a big part of the problem.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 09:47PM

andyw2100
BearLover

I'm pretty sure the student season tickets now include the three (possible) home playoff games, with refunds available if those games (or one of those games) is not played. I also believe the ECAC sets the price on those tickets, and that the set price is about $15 per game. Assuming this is all true, the real cost of the non-playoffs portion of the season is about $150 for (this year) fifteen home games. So the students are paying about $10 per game, for the ability to sit in the student sections.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't think lowering student ticket prices is the answer. For every student that might consider $10 per game a little too much to spend, and thus doesn't buy season tickets, there are probably ten who are just adding the cost of the tickets to their bursar bill and letting their parents foot the bill.

I certainly agree there are issues with the students, and student attendance, but I don't think the cost of the tickets is a big part of the problem.

That's not too bad a price. I do think that supply and demand says lowering price might increase sales, but I'm not too up in arms. I figured they were at the $250+ they were a decade ago.

I was a senior a decade ago, and I remember being really upset at the policing of students at the time by ushers. Friends of mine got told to quiet down for being too loud and annoying. No swears, just constant goalie harassment. More than anything, I blame that approach for the student energy levels now.

And phones/tech/etc. While winning more would certainly help, I have trouble believing that's the biggest problem. On average, we've been an above average hockey team for the past four seasons. I definitely hope we improve on that, and if we don't then perhaps a coaching change is in order, but I think it's a little unreasonable to set the bar that much higher in terms of average performance.

Date: December 01, 2016 10:37PM

andyw2100
BearLover

Well, yeah, that's precisely the problem: the hockey games are only attracting the kids who have the luxury of throwing the tickets on their parents' bill.

Date: December 02, 2016 08:19AM

the same kids that spend $10 on coffee.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 01:22PM

I probably posted this earlier, but here is another review on a similar website of Lynah Rink,

Date: December 02, 2016 05:16PM

upprdeck
the same kids that spend $10 on coffee.
Sure, but a hockey game doesn't help you get that paper done.

Date: December 02, 2016 05:17PM

ursusminor
I probably posted this earlier, but here is another review on a similar website of Lynah Rink,
That review puts the rink on East Shore Drive, which is news to me.

Date: December 02, 2016 09:36PM

New theory on attendance/energy: video reviews take forever and nobody in the crowd has any idea what's going on. They're boring and make the games end later. Might have a minor effect on the atmosphere. Of course, significant tradeoff in fairness if you get rid of them.

Date: December 03, 2016 08:02AM

BearLover
New theory on attendance/energy: video reviews take forever and nobody in the crowd has any idea what's going on. They're boring and make the games end later. Might have a minor effect on the atmosphere. Of course, significant tradeoff in fairness if you get rid of them.
They are, however, a good opportunity for self-reflection. They answer the question "Am I a fatalist"? worry

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2016 08:36AM

Trotsky
BearLover
They are, however, a good opportunity for self-reflection. They answer the question "Am I a fatalist"? worry

And a great time to check your phone, without missing any action.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2016 09:06AM

css228
ursusminor

Oh, that's hilarious. That's The Rink in Lansing, which is a bit different than Lynah.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2016 10:23AM

Ok, I know this is heresy, but watching last night's game on ESPN3 I said to myself, "while I love what Lynah represents, wouldn't it be great to have a new rink that still retains an intimate environment but is also designed for the TV age so that I could actually see more of what's happening on the ice?"

Date: December 03, 2016 10:53AM

scoop85
"..... wouldn't it be great to have a new rink that still retains an intimate environment ....."

The problem is, that's not what they do when they design new rinks.... That intimate environment always gets lost.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2016 11:13AM

scoop85
Ok, I know this is heresy, but watching last night's game on ESPN3 I said to myself, "while I love what Lynah represents, wouldn't it be great to have a new rink that still retains an intimate environment but is also designed for the TV age so that I could actually see more of what's happening on the ice?"

I would be in favor of a remote controlled game cam (or two) perched on the rafters. It might not be as easy to control as a hand controlled version but with the standing student tradition and limited sight lines it should be attempted.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2016 02:32PM

marty
scoop85

I would be in favor of a remote controlled game cam (or two) perched on the rafters. It might not be as easy to control as a hand controlled version but with the standing student tradition and limited sight lines it should be attempted.

Agree

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2016 03:02PM

Give My Regards
css228
ursusminor

Oh, that's hilarious. That's The Rink in Lansing, which is a bit different than Lynah.

The Munn Ice Arena?

Wait, that is in East Lansing. ;)

Date: December 03, 2016 03:37PM

RIT has a remote controlled camera at center ice which was nice for extra angles to see plays on the 2 replay boards.. they also showed replays of every goal from multiple angles so you can see what happened. filled in the void while the real replay was running and no one knew what was happening..

we dont need a replay board just a decent projector will suffice and they could use it in class rooms off season to save money

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2016 10:44PM

Trotsky
nshapiro
Trotsky
nshapiro

Move and don't leave a forwarding address.Take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

FYP :-}

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: December 03, 2016 10:55PM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky
nshapiro
Trotsky
nshapiro

Move and don't leave a forwarding address.Take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

FYP :-}

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2016 10:56PM by Kyle Rose.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2016 09:01PM

Jim Hyla
marty
scoop85

Agree

Cameras are relatively cheap these days vs. the past. We have a pretty low roof/rafter system over the rink. Why not put cameras hanging from the rafters, one over each blueline (or 2 at center ice), and have them trained the long way down the ice. This would be a really good vantage point.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2016 09:34PM

abmarks
Jim Hyla
marty
scoop85

Agree

Cameras are relatively cheap these days vs. the past. We have a pretty low roof/rafter system over the rink. Why not put cameras hanging from the rafters, one over each blueline (or 2 at center ice), and have them trained the long way down the ice. This would be a really good vantage point.

I'd be in favor of that setup

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: December 05, 2016 09:36AM

because the athletic department has to care . we do we have a food setup that funnels everyone thru the same place as people trying to move around to their seats? we built a whole new shell around the building and created the same crowd flow issues we had before. We still have a speaker system thats hard to hear, we have a scoreboard from the 70's, we dont track shots until after a period is over, we cant handle more than 2 penalties at a time , we ask the flag bearers to walk out on the ice and almost fall every time.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2016 10:17AM

upprdeck
… we ask the flag bearers to walk out on the ice and almost fall every time.

Simple answer to that: keep them off the ice or barely on it via a small carpet, like they used to be.

That inane and unnecessary moment of silence that accompanies the honor guard slipping and sliding its way off the ice, onto which it has come too far in the first place, sucks the life out of the rink. Emulation of how the Blackhawks salute the national anthem and flag would be salutary.

Funny, that's the way it used to be: a big roar as the anthem was completed and immediate chants of "Let's go Red!" How the mighty, the Faithful, have fallen…

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2016 11:04AM

abmarks

Your excellent idea might be better sent to:

John Lukach
Director of Multimedia, Production and Web Communication

jlukach@cornell.edu
(607) 255-3752

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2016 12:41PM

Scersk '97
upprdeck

Simple answer to that: keep them off the ice or barely on it via a small carpet, like they used to be.

That inane and unnecessary moment of silence that accompanies the honor guard slipping and sliding its way off the ice, onto which it has come too far in the first place, sucks the life out of the rink. Emulation of how the Blackhawks salute the national anthem and flag would be salutary.

Funny, that's the way it used to be: a big roar as the anthem was completed and immediate chants of "Let's go Red!" How the mighty, the Faithful, have fallen…

Why do we need a color guard at all? The flags are both there. What is it that 4 people in uniform really add, besides us watching and seeing if they fall. The other team has to be told that they have to stay there untill the color guard leaves, otherwise they immediately start skating when the band stops. This seems to be almost unique to us, do we need it?

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2016 12:59PM

Jim Hyla
Scersk '97
upprdeck

Why do we need a color guard at all? The flags are both there. What is it that 4 people in uniform really add, besides us watching and seeing if they fall. The other team has to be told that they have to stay there untill the color guard leaves, otherwise they immediately start skating when the band stops. This seems to be almost unique to us, do we need it?

No! But if they get rid of it, how long before somebody complains that Lynah is now "anti-military"? (Though I guess the typical complainers wouldn't care about this particular slight)

Not being able to cheer after the anthem sucks. When someone in A or B does try to start clapping right away, everyone else will "shush" them. Excellent precedent.

Date: December 06, 2016 01:42PM

LGR14
No! But if they get rid of it, how long before somebody complains that Lynah is now "anti-military"? (Though I guess the typical complainers wouldn't care about this particular slight)

Back in the day, some (not me) used to chant: "That's alright; / that's OK; / You're gonna die for us someday!" "Go start the tank!" was always worthwhile, however. What a difference in this generation!

LGR14
Not being able to cheer after the anthem sucks. When someone in A or B does try to start clapping right away, everyone else will "shush" them. Excellent precedent.

All it would take would be for twenty or so people to do it together. Bring some signs that explain why; be ready for the unwarranted opprobrium.

Posted by: Dafatone (206.209.9.---)
Date: December 06, 2016 02:17PM

Scersk '97
LGR14

Back in the day, some (not me) used to chant: "That's alright; / that's OK; / You're gonna die for us someday!" "Go start the tank!" was always worthwhile, however. What a difference in this generation!

LGR14

All it would take would be for twenty or so people to do it together. Bring some signs that explain why; be ready for the unwarranted opprobrium.

The first game I went to was a 7-1 drubbing of Army. Someone near me yelled out, "How are you going to defend our country if you can't defend the net?"

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2016 03:36PM

Dafatone
The first game I went to was a 7-1 drubbing of Army. Someone near me yelled out, "How are you going to defend our country if you can't defend the net?"
I'd like to think he/she enlisted upon graduation, but somehow I doubt it.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2016 04:22PM

Scersk '97
LGR14

I think the point is that most of us at Lynah do want to respect the flags while they are on the ice, and do not want to see the cheering start as soon as the anthem ends if the flags are still on the ice. Speaking for myself, I'd greatly prefer to see things go back to the way they were five or so years ago, when there was no color guard on the ice, and we could cheer as soon as the anthem ended. I just don't think the answer is getting twenty or so people to disrespect the flags.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2016 08:10PM

Dafatone

I vaguely recall yelling, "I hope you're a good soldier!" to Army's goalie during a 5-0 drubbing at Lynah back in the ancient days of yore when Army was in the ECAC.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: December 07, 2016 03:27AM

Back (somewhat) on topic...

[www.youtube.com]

First off, that was a great season. Second off, Lynah looked just about 100% full in every home game highlight. All the kids had smartphones back in 2012. And Cornell was coming off a disappointing season. So what gives?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 03:27AM by BearLover.

Date: December 07, 2016 02:29PM

andyw2100
I just don't think the answer is getting twenty or so people to disrespect the flags.

Why is standing there in awkward silence the only way to "respect the flags?"

Other than that, I'm with you, of course. Get the flags off the ice!

Date: December 07, 2016 03:39PM

Scersk '97
andyw2100
I just don't think the answer is getting twenty or so people to disrespect the flags.

Why is standing there in awkward silence the only way to "respect the flags?"

Other than that, I'm with you, of course. Get the flags off the ice!
It's just one of those tar babies that once you do it you're fucked. Want to get rid of the color guard? End the Forever War. Good luck with that.

Date: December 07, 2016 09:36PM

andyw2100
I think the point is that most of us at Lynah do want to respect the flags while they are on the ice, and do not want to see the cheering start as soon as the anthem ends if the flags are still on the ice. Speaking for myself, I'd greatly prefer to see things go back to the way they were five or so years ago, when there was no color guard on the ice, and we could cheer as soon as the anthem ended. I just don't think the answer is getting twenty or so people to disrespect the flags.

+1

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2016 11:19AM

"Paid patriotism" has been a series of multi-million dollar transfer payments from the Department of Defense and National Guard to the NFL, MLS, NBA, MLS. NASCAR took in a lot, too.

There was no problem of players not standing during the anthem before 2009 because they stayed in the locker room.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]
[sports.vice.com]
[www.espn.com]

Date: December 09, 2016 11:29AM

billhoward
"Paid patriotism" has been a series of multi-million dollar transfer payments from the Department of Defense and National Guard to the NFL, MLS, NBA, MLS. NASCAR took in a lot, too.

Pays for itself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login