Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

11/26: Cornell 3 New Hampshire 1

Posted by Trotsky 
11/26: Cornell 3 New Hampshire 1
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 25, 2016 11:46AM

Sirius XM NHL show "Weekend at Bernie's," with BU PBP guy Bernie Corbett, talked about the Cornell-UNH game. The segment was at 11:30 a.m. ET today in case you can rewind it.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2016 10:49PM by Trotsky.

Re: 11/26: UNH
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2016 07:32PM

7:35: we have video on ILDN. Derp still being vomited from WHCU.

Date: November 26, 2016 07:35PM

Now ILDN picks up Jason.

Looks like a repeat of the Saturday lineup.

Date: November 26, 2016 07:42PM

From the RPI Fan Twitter account Without A Peer:

Sorry, Arizona State. You're not very good at hockey. But I'll give you this much: you're better than we are.

Date: November 26, 2016 10:28PM

The streak is over.

Re: 11/26: Cornell 3 New Hampshire 1
Date: November 27, 2016 12:24AM

Up to 25 in PWR.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2016 12:27AM

Solid game by Cornell after a scary UNH adrenaline rush the first part of the first period, as if New Hampshire was on Five Minute Energy Drink. (Plus UNH was coming off a 5-0 thrashing of RPI Tuesday, so you wondered if they'd be like this all sixty minutes.) Five shots on goal in the first minute or so and their only goal five minutes in. Then Cornell settled down.

Gillam was awesome. We made a penalty shot (off a Cornell man-short breakaway). We got a power play goal. The PP (1x5) looked good even when we didn't score. Unlike in 2003, it was UNH that drew a killer penalty when behind with about 3 minutes to play. Before that, we almost did ourselves in six minutes into the third period, with a 2-1 lead, getting called for too many men on the ice and four seconds later for hooking; Cornell killed 51 seconds of the 5-on-3 and then UNH got called for tripping.

We got there at 7:30 (gametime was 8 p.m.) and the place was empty compared to the Cornell-BU MSG games. It finally filled to a bit under two-thirds capacity, 10,418 announced (capacity 18,006). UNH did not have much of a presence. It's interesting if New Hampshire was Cornell's first choice as an opponent. Did we get turned down by Notre Dame, Boston College, Ohio State, or (probably not as much of an NYC alumni or student presence) Minnesota? Cornell has been playing Thanksgiving games in NYC for a decade (not every even year though) and you wonder if attendee fatigue is setting in.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2016 01:51PM by billhoward.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2016 12:27AM

this team still has amazingly bad stick skills but the defense is stout and works hard. gillam still bailed them out a lot though, after that first insanely soft goal.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2016 12:42AM

billhoward
Solid game by Cornell after a scary UNH adrenaline rush the first part of the first period, as if New Hampshire was on Five Minute Energy Drink. (Plus UNH was coming off a 5-0 thrashing of RPI Tuesday, so you wondered if they'd be like this all sixty minutes.) Five shots on goal in the first minute or so and their only goal five minutes in. Then Cornell settled down.

Gillam was awesome. We made a penalty shot (off a Cornell man-short breakaway). We got a power play goal. The PP (1x5) looked good even when we didn't score. Unlike in 2003, it was UNH that drew a killer penalty when behind with about 3 minutes to play. Before that, we almost did ourselves in six minutes into the third period, with a 2-1 lead, getting called for too many men on the ice and four seconds later for hooking; Cornell killed 51 seconds of the 5-on-3 and then UNH got called for tripping.

We got there at 7:30 and the place was empty compared to the Cornell-BU MSG games. It finally filled to a bit under two-thirds capacity, 10,418 announced (capacity 18,006). UNH did not have much of a presence. It's interesting if New Hampshire was Cornell's first choice as an opponent. Did we get turned down by Notre Dame, Boston College, Ohio State, or (probably not as much of an NYC alumni or student presence) Minnesota? Cornell has been playing Thanksgiving games in NYC for a decade (not every even year though) and you wonder if attendee fatigue is setting in.
The place looked pretty full and was nearly 100% Cornell fans. Gillam was incredible after the first softy. The Red contained UNH's small, speedy scorers about as well as they realistically could have. Brief stretches of patented Cornell cycling/offensive zone domination a la 2003/2009. Great game overall, but ugarte's post is spot-on; Gillam really stole this one.

Posted by: arugula (---.c3-0.avec-ubr2.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 27, 2016 03:08PM

I'm a Ranger season ticket holder, so I have seen plenty of late arriving/non arriving crowds at MSG and I must say that was as empty as I have ever seen MSG (been going since the mid 70s). There were entire sections of seats which were empty until people started to spread out a bit. The blue seats were completely empty the entire game. I bought two at the blue line 15 rows up on the day of the game. Two reasons I think-attendees fatigue and an opponent with little local following and no particular rivalry interest. I had a great time and the Red looked good again but I just wanted to disabuse the notion that the crowd was anything other than small.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2016 04:48PM

The crowd was certainly down from prior MSG events (although the NCAA would do cartwheels to get that size crowd for a Regional). After the early soft goal, Gillam was stellar. He'a really had a terrific career, and hopefully can make this year his best.

I thought Yates had an excellent game, and was our best offensive threat all night. He's really elevated his game this year, much the way Kubiak did last season. And Starrett had another strong game.

On defense McCarron played a nice game, and has become an X-factor on the powerplay. He's playing the way you would expect a senior leader to play.

Of course the highlight was Rauter's penalty shot. For a kid who hardly played as a freshman, he's become a pretty solid player who has shown some nice offensive skill.

Great to see diversity of scoring throughout the lineup. If we can get Kubiak, Buckles and Bliss back sooner than later we'll be that much more dangerous (my recollection is that Tschantz is supposed to be out for a longer period than the others)

Minor rant: watching a bit of the replay on ILDN, it made me a bit nuts that whoever is directing the broadcast insists on cutting to low-angle views from the corners for seemingly 50% fo the action. A little bit of that is ok, but watch any typical hockey broadcast and you'll see 97% of the camerawork will be the center ice camera that allows the viewer to see a fairly wide swath of the ice. Just a better overall viewing experience IMO

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-214-111.myvzw.com)
Date: November 27, 2016 05:14PM

scoop85

Minor rant: watching a bit of the replay on ILDN, it made me a bit nuts that whoever is directing the broadcast insists on cutting to low-angle views from the corners for seemingly 50% fo the action. A little bit of that is ok, but watch any typical hockey broadcast and you'll see 97% of the camerawork will be the center ice camera that allows the viewer to see a fairly wide swath of the ice. Just a better overall viewing experience IMO

Isn't it just the MSG scoreboard camera grabbed for the "convenience" of the ILDN subscriber?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2016 06:16PM

scoop85

I also enjoyed the full-screen shots, for several seconds at a time, of the players who were about to leave the penalty box, at the expense of being able to see, you know, the actual play taking place on the ice. Those were awesome!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2016 06:43PM

marty
scoop85

Isn't it just the MSG scoreboard camera grabbed for the "convenience" of the ILDN subscriber?

Yes, I think we've had this discussion every year lately.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2016 06:58PM

Jim Hyla
marty
scoop85

Yes, I think we've had this discussion every year lately.

Yes. I'm firmly in the scoreboard cam is way better than nothing camp and have no complaints about taking the less good with the good. The time or times the game was actually broadcast on MSG was certainly preferable but I was happy to be able to watch.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.123.---)
Date: November 28, 2016 03:53PM

No one has mentioned one of the key plays in Saturday's game. Perhaps it's sticking in my mind since it happened right in front of me. Weidner made a great play when we were killing off a 5-on-3 two-minute power-play while clinging to a one-goal lead in the third period. He outhustled a UNH player to a loose puck in the UNH zone and ended up drawing a tripping penalty from the UNH goalie. That meant we only had to play one-man down for the next 50 seconds or so instead of being two-men down. It was just a pure hustle play by Weidner, who made a lot of plays like that on Saturday.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 28, 2016 05:01PM

dbilmes
No one has mentioned one of the key plays in Saturday's game. Perhaps it's sticking in my mind since it happened right in front of me. Weidner made a great play when we were killing off a 5-on-3 two-minute power-play while clinging to a one-goal lead in the third period. He outhustled a UNH player to a loose puck in the UNH zone and ended up drawing a tripping penalty from the UNH goalie. That meant we only had to play one-man down for the next 50 seconds or so instead of being two-men down. It was just a pure hustle play by Weidner, who made a lot of plays like that on Saturday.
I was sitting too high to give anyone credit but it was a great play. He didn't even really try to score, just held the puck and moved around the zone killing clock and got a bonus when the goalie got pokey.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2016 05:35PM

ugarte
dbilmes
I was sitting too high to give anyone credit but it was a great play. He didn't even really try to score, just held the puck and moved around the zone killing clock and got a bonus when the goalie got pokey.

I think that was the play that Jason opined on the broadcast was an acting job (dive, not embelishment) as he tripped over the paint. Is my memory correct?

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 28, 2016 05:36PM

marty
ugarte
dbilmes

I think that was the play that Jason opined on the broadcast was an acting job (dive, not embelishment) as he tripped over the paint. Is my memory correct?
If so... it was an even better play.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2016 06:43PM

marty
ugarte
dbilmes

Yes, I think you're correct.

Date: November 28, 2016 06:59PM

marty
ugarte
dbilmes

Yes, it was a straight up dive. However Weidner's hustle throughout the whole game was amazing.

Date: November 28, 2016 07:07PM

Good article on the penalty shot. Rauter played with the goalie in prep so they knew each other's moves.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2016 07:08PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2016 12:20PM

billhoward
...the place was empty compared to the Cornell-BU MSG games. It finally filled to a bit under two-thirds capacity, 10,418 announced (capacity 18,006). UNH did not have much of a presence. It's interesting if New Hampshire was Cornell's first choice as an opponent. Did we get turned down by Notre Dame, Boston College, Ohio State, or (probably not as much of an NYC alumni or student presence) Minnesota?

Turns out BC played there last night against North Dakota (Sat Dec 3) so they just didn't want to play 2 consecutive weeks in NYC. Also BC had a home game vs the Goophers on the Sunday of our weekend at MSG.

Box score attendance for North Dakota-BC is 11,348. North Dakota travels well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login