Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Quinnipiac on ESPN3

Posted by Beeeej 
Quinnipiac on ESPN3
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2016 05:46PM

Just got a note from Asst. Coach Ben Syer - tonight's game is on ESPN3. Here's the link:

[www.espn.com]

(Edit to add: The ESPN app seems to believe Cornell vs. Q is tomorrow night. It's on the Cornell men's hockey schedule for tonight, and on the ESPN website for tonight, but on the ESPN app for tomorrow night. Really not sure what the deal is. Trying to figure it out now - may just have to stream from the website instead of the app.)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2016 06:18PM by Beeeej.

Re: Quinnipiac on ESPN3
Date: November 18, 2016 07:01PM

Found the link for the stream on the app, but it's still in "Your Event Is About to Begin" mode. Anybody getting the stream on ESPN3?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 18, 2016 07:02PM

Never mind - it's running, but appears to be quite a long way behind, since the stands are nearly empty. (Or it was a prerecorded intro, and the game will start in a moment. I'm being patient.)

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2016 07:05PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2016 07:18PM

Is anyone else having issues with the WHCU feed? I'm getting nothing but a political discussion and have to use the local QU feed from Hamden instead.

Posted by: redice (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: November 18, 2016 07:31PM

Whcu radio does not have the game on the air, as of 15:00 of the first

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2016 08:22PM

[www.quinnipiacbobcats.com]

No relation, AFAIK.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2016 12:54PM

Empty stands? I believe Jason and Tony taped the intro for the video version well before gametime, thus no one in the stands.

The ESPN3 stream, same one as the ILDN, was running about 2 minutes ahead. Minutes not seconds.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2016 02:56PM

billhoward
Empty stands? I believe Jason and Tony taped the intro for the video version well before gametime, thus no one in the stands.

The ESPN3 stream, same one as the ILDN, was running about 2 minutes ahead. Minutes not seconds.

As someone attended the game, I can say the there was a LOT of empty seats, any time I looked, during the game.... Very disappointing giving the fact that we had a national powerhouse (Q) playing here. The possibility of beating a team of that stature should have been interesting to even the most casual hockey fan in town/on campus....

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2016 04:21PM

redice
billhoward

As someone attended the game, I can say the there was a LOT of empty seats, any time I looked, during the game.... Very disappointing giving the fact that we had a national powerhouse (Q) playing here. The possibility of beating a team of that stature should have been interesting to even the most casual hockey fan in town/on campus....

Actually the crowd was reasonable, considering that fall break started for both CU & IC.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2016 10:16PM

not sure the fall break had much to do with the empty seats on the townie side.. i think sales are way down.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2016 10:37PM

upprdeck
not sure the fall break had much to do with the empty seats on the townie side.. i think sales are way down.

First game at Lynah tonight in about 5 years. I thought it was an energetic crowd, and the place seemed 85-90% full.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 19, 2016 10:58PM

scoop85
upprdeck

First game at Lynah tonight in about 5 years. I thought it was an energetic crowd, and the place seemed 85-90% full.
I guess we should stop wishing for 2003 levels of energy and start hoping for 2009 levels, when at least the rink was ~100% full (I wasn't really around before that timeframe).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2016 10:58PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2016 04:02AM

As far as I know there's no break going on right now...The students should be there until Wednesday when the Thanksgiving recess starts. Some people always leave earlier but I would expect there to be a decent showing of students anyway. Home games before this break are nothing new.

Date: November 20, 2016 10:21AM

what was the deal with band? what was the tuba song and why did it change?

what happened to the cow bell guy?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2016 11:23AM

upprdeck

Not sure what you mean about the band.

I hear that the Tuba song changed because the old song--"Swanee River"--was objectionable, and less than politically correct.

I'm pretty sure the cowbell guy has been a cowbell gal the last few years. There was no cowbell Friday night, so I guess one of the drummers in the band attempted it on a drum. Saturday night the cowbell was back, though I couldn't see who was playing it from my seat near the D aisle of Section C.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 12:29PM

andyw2100
I hear that the Tuba song changed because the old song--"Swanee River"--was objectionable, and less than politically correct.
What? Why?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 12:37PM

KeithK
andyw2100
What? Why?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: KGR11 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 12:43PM

KeithK
andyw2100
What? Why?

Swanee River originated as a minstrel song.

Here's the wikipedia article about the song: [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: November 20, 2016 12:46PM

I thought it was the worst sounding band I ever heard from Cornell. We were discussing it during the game.

it didnt help the student side was asleep.

I know it was a cowgirl just wondered why there wasnt one friday.

If you aren't going to do a song that actually sounds like a tuba song dont substitute with a song that sounds like a little ditty, just give it up.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2016 01:01PM

upprdeck
I thought it was the worst sounding band I ever heard from Cornell. We were discussing it during the game.

it didnt help the student side was asleep.

I know it was a cowgirl just wondered why there wasnt one friday.

If you aren't going to do a song that actually sounds like a tuba song dont substitute with a song that sounds like a little ditty, just give it up.

Tough crowd

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2016 02:02PM

andyw2100

Oh FFS, let's be offended about a song while we yell at people to die and drop dead, what a joke. The new song sucks. That's an idiotic reason not to play Swanee. They seem to have no trouble with Gary Glitter, did they ever think maybe that is offensive to some people? Guess we need to have trigger warnings at the rink too now.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 02:11PM

upprdeck

As a band alum, I am mortified by the lack of tuning. The trumpets, in particular, suck and do so loudly.

And it's taking conductors eons to start cheers. So many times, I hear a cutoff when the puck drops that would've been unnecessary if the band had started promptly.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 03:17PM

Bahnstorm
andyw2100

Oh FFS, let's be offended about a song while we yell at people to die and drop dead, what a joke. The new song sucks. That's an idiotic reason not to play Swanee. They seem to have no trouble with Gary Glitter, did they ever think maybe that is offensive to some people? Guess we need to have trigger warnings at the rink too now.

Ultimately, shouldn't this be up to the band?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2016 06:01PM

Ironically, the song they've chosen to use now, "Over There", I would think could also be seen as offensive by some. Below are the lyrics, copied from Google Play Music:

Johnnie, get your gun
Get your gun, get your gun
Take it on the run
On the run, on the run
Hear them calling, you and me
Every son of liberty
Hurry right away
No delay, go today
Make your daddy glad
To have had such a lad
Tell your sweetheart not to pine
To be proud her boy's in line

Over there, over there
Send the word, send the word over there
That the Yanks are coming
The Yanks are coming
The drums rum-tumming
Everywhere
So prepare, say a prayer
Send the word, send the word to beware
We'll be over, we're coming over
And we won't come back till it's over
Over there

Johnnie, get your gun
Get your gun, get your gun
Johnnie show the Hun
Who's a son of a gun
Hoist the flag and let her fly
Yankee Doodle do or die
Pack your little kit
Show your grit, do your bit
Yankee to the ranks
From the towns and the tanks
Make your mother proud of you
And the old Red, White and Blue

Over there, over there
Send the word, send the word over there
That the Yanks are coming
The Yanks are coming
The drums rum-tumming
Everywhere
So prepare, say a prayer
Send the word, send the word to beware
We'll be over, we're coming over
And we won't come back till it's over
Over there

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 21, 2016 10:04AM

andyw2100
Ironically, the song they've chosen to use now, "Over There", I would think could also be seen as offensive by some.
Ah yes, the oft offended supporters of Kaiser Wilhelm.

Posted by: css228 (141.161.133.---)
Date: November 22, 2016 08:24PM

andyw2100
upprdeck

Not sure what you mean about the band.

I'm pretty sure the cowbell guy has been a cowbell gal the last few years. There was no cowbell Friday night, so I guess one of the drummers in the band attempted it on a drum. Saturday night the cowbell was back, though I couldn't see who was playing it from my seat near the D aisle of Section C.
As the cowbell guy in 2012-2013 and 2013-2014, I can confirm that since the start of last season the cowbell guy has been a cowbell gal.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 10:50AM

Over there was awful, but if there is truly a proclamation against Swanee, there must be 50,000 songs with the correct cadence and four breaks.

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 10:57AM

Can't wait for the alumni at MSG to realize that the band has decided to forsake tradition in the name of political correctness.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: November 23, 2016 11:11AM

It is particularly timely given that the cover story of the current Alumni Magazine issue is on the faithful and it specifically mentions Swanee as being a traditional fan cheer.

Date: November 23, 2016 11:20AM

LGR14
Can't wait for the alumni at MSG to realize that the band has decided to forsake tradition in the name of political correctness.

I think you're overestimating how much they'll care. The MSG games are rarely Lynah Writ Large™, so much as they are a couple hundred die-hard Lynah Faithful surrounded by thousands of people who know how to chant, "Let's Go Red" in a pinch.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: November 23, 2016 11:27AM

Beeeej
LGR14

I think you're overestimating how much they'll care. The MSG games are rarely Lynah Writ Large™, so much as they are a couple hundred die-hard Lynah Faithful surrounded by thousands of people who know how to chant, "Let's Go Red" in a pinch.

And drunk young alumni who chant "Go Big Red" in between their selfie sessions.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2016 02:49PM

Trotsky
Over there was awful, but if there is truly a proclamation against Swanee, there must be 50,000 songs with the correct cadence and four breaks.

Just try to avoid the Stephen Foster playbook altogether, though. I recently looked up the full lyrics to "Oh Suzannah". twitch

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 04:35PM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky

Just try to avoid the Stephen Foster playbook altogether, though. I recently looked up the full lyrics to "Oh Suzannah". twitch

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 12:10AM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky

Are we also going to avoid the Francis Scott Key playbook? Have you looked at the third verse of his best-known number recently? twitchtwitch

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login