Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Awards 2016-17

Posted by RichH 
Awards 2016-17
Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: November 16, 2016 11:11AM

Nobody has started it up yet, so here's a thread.

To catch up:

ECAC Weekly Awards

Nov. 1
No Winners
Nominees: Hayden Stewart (GOTW), Erin O'Connor (POTW), Kristin O'Neill (ROTW), Paula Voorheis (GOTW)

Nov. 8
ROTW: Yanni Kaldis

Nov. 15
POTW: Mitch Vanderlaan
POTW: Hanna Bunton
Nominees: Kristin O'Neill (ROTW), Paula Voorheis (GOTW)

Re: Awards 2016-17
Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2017 08:48PM

Can't tell you if any league award-winner has ever won with only playing a single period, but it was a good period Brent.

Jan. 17
ROTW: Jeff Malott
Nominees: Jeff Malott (POTW), Mitch Gillam (GOTW), Kristin O'Neill (ROTW), Paula Voorheis (GOTW)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2017 11:54AM by RichH.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2017 11:04PM

RichH
Can't tell you if any league award-winner has ever won with only playing a single period, but it was a good period Brent.

Jan. 17
Nominees: Jeff Malott (POTW), Kristin O'Neill (ROTW), Paula Voorheis (GOTW)

Gillam was also a nominee for GOTW. I was surprised, when I read your post, that he wasn't GOTW, so I went looking to see why he wasn't even nominated, and found that he was:

[www.ecachockey.com]

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: January 18, 2017 11:57AM

andyw2100
RichH

Jan. 17
Nominees: Jeff Malott (POTW), Kristin O'Neill (ROTW), Paula Voorheis (GOTW)

Gillam was also a nominee for GOTW. I was surprised, when I read your post, that he wasn't GOTW, so I went looking to see why he wasn't even nominated, and found that he was:

[www.ecachockey.com]

Right you are, and I've made the correction. I just missed Mitch's name when scanning the ECAC graphic. Amusing that one of the points under "supporting information" for Sakellaropoulos is "much better name than Mitch Gillam." Unfair!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2017 12:49PM

Team of the Week: Cornell

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 18, 2017 01:30PM

Great article, particularly weaving the quotes in. Adam is in the 1% part of the "99% of everything is crap" rule for sportswriting.

Date: January 18, 2017 03:32PM

Trotsky

Great article, particularly weaving the quotes in. Adam is in the 1% part of the "99% of everything is crap" rule for sportswriting.

Wodon left out the funniest part of the Army story.

As I recall hearing (or reading) it, Schafer also didn't let the guys shower after the game and their workout, and then made them ride back to Ithaca that way. The problem was he was riding the same bus that not surprisingly had quite the stench to it long before it made it back to Ithaca. I think there was even a Schafer quote at the time about never doing THAT again!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2017 10:15PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2017 04:11PM

Greetings ... I'm lurking here whether I get ripped or praised ... but just wanted to say that, coming from Trotsky and his high standards, that is truly noteworthy, particularly because he has never hesitated to correct me on something if warranted :) So - thanks.

Also - re: "the rest of the story" - believe me, I'd love to have delved further into it, and could talk all day about that season alone. But this was supposed to be a Team of the Week article, and as it was, I feel like I'm probably burying good stuff about Schafer just by having it in there. Deserves an article unto itself, but could only do so much at this time. One day ... But, yes, there are no shortage of stories from that day alone.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2017 05:42PM

Trotsky

Agreed on all counts.

Date: January 18, 2017 10:12PM

adamw
Also - re: "the rest of the story" - believe me, I'd love to have delved further into it, and could talk all day about that season alone. But this was supposed to be a Team of the Week article, and as it was, I feel like I'm probably burying good stuff about Schafer just by having it in there. Deserves an article unto itself, but could only do so much at this time. One day ... But, yes, there are no shortage of stories from that day alone.

When I wrote that you left out the funniest part of the story, that was in no way intended as criticism. You're right that more of it in that piece would not have made any sense. It's just such a good story...

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2017 09:57AM

andyw2100
adamw

When I wrote that you left out the funniest part of the story, that was in no way intended as criticism. You're right that more of it in that piece would not have made any sense. It's just such a good story...

I hear ya - no worries - was just elaborating.

Date: February 01, 2017 07:30AM

Not really awards, at least for us, but I didn't want to start another thread for this week's NCAA Hockey: Top Five Plays. 4/5 are ECAC games and unfortunately 1 is a Dartmouth goal.

Date: February 07, 2017 12:38PM

Kaldis is Rookie of the Week. Weidner got "Other" for POTW.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2017 12:48PM

Jim Hyla
Kaldis is Rookie of the Week. Weidner got "Other" for POTW.

It's awfully satisfying to have beaten the team from which the POTW was selected in the week for which he was selected.

Slightly off-topic: I'd forgotten we have two games in hand over Quinnipiac, Harvard, and St. Lawrence (and one over Union), all of whom are still above us in the ECAC standings but that much more catchable as a result. We can and should get the first-round bye if we get business done.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 07, 2017 01:56PM

Beeeej
Slightly off-topic: I'd forgotten we have two games in hand over Quinnipiac, Harvard, and St. Lawrence (and one over Union), all of whom are still above us in the ECAC standings but that much more catchable as a result. We can and should get the first-round bye if we get business done.

How long have you known me?

Always. Use. Percentage.
.781 Uni
.735 SLU
.706 Hvd
.667 Cor
.618 Qpc
.500 Clk

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2017 01:57PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 07, 2017 03:06PM

Trotsky
Beeeej

How long have you known me?

Always. Use. Percentage.
.781 Uni
.735 SLU
.706 Hvd
.667 Cor
.618 Qpc
.500 Clk

Let's just win tonight and we'll leapfrog over Q in points. Then everyone will be happy.

Well, almost everyone............

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 07, 2017 03:46PM

win the next 3 at home and we get all the way to 3rd at worst, possibly 1st, with no more than 3 pts ahead of us..

of course 2 weeks ago we thought the same thing.

Harvard plays union ,
harvard wins we can pass Union and Tie harvard
Union wins we can pass harvard
they tie we can tie Union and pass harvard

and we have 2 games to pass Quin for 4th

huge weekend

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2017 07:44PM

upprdeck
huge weekend
After Groundhog Day they're all huge.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 07, 2017 09:03PM

There hasn't been a single game all year where Cornell looked like the clearly worse team. We've had an easy schedule overall, but we played H and U evenly. I'm more confident in this team's ability to score than I was in the 2014 and 2016 teams' (the near-NCAA misses). The offense is way more balanced than in past years--everyone is contributing and the top three lines are all legit threats. The defense is solid as always, which is impressive given that two of our top four D-men have been out either most or all of the season. We could really use Wedman back; not sure if there's any chance of Bliss returning. Gillam's numbers aren't great--his .913 SV% coming into tonight's game is the lowest for a Cornell starting goalie since '06-'07--but he seems to make some flashy saves and it's likely a sample size issue more than anything (his career numbers approach Scrivens territory (.930ish)). As I type this, he's working on a shutout.

Edit: Uh-oh. Rauter playing as a 6th D-man now vs. Colgate as Brendan Smith has left the game.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2017 09:21PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2017 09:17PM

BearLover
There hasn't been a single game all year where Cornell looked like the clearly worse team. We've had an easy schedule overall, but we played H and U evenly. I'm more confident in this team's ability to score than I was of the 2014 and 2016 teams' (the near-NCAA misses). The offense is way more balanced than in past years--everyone is contributing and the top three lines are all legit threats. The defense is solid as always, which is impressive given that two of our top four D-men have been out either most or all of the season. We could really use Wedman back; not sure if there's any chance of Bliss returning. Gillam's numbers aren't great--his .913 SV% coming into tonight's game is the lowest for a Cornell starting goalie since '06-'07--but he seems to make some flashy saves and it's likely a sample size issue more than anything (his career numbers approach Scrivens territory (.930ish). As I type this, he's working on a shutout.

Edit: Uh-oh. Rauter playing as a 6th D-man now vs. Colgate as Brendan Smith has left the game.
With one exception (I don't think opening the season with five games on the road makes for an easy schedule), I agree with what you've written.

And heading into the home stretch with an apparently depleted defense corps is very worrisome.

Date: February 08, 2017 08:24AM

Gillam was great last night, but I'll agree that he waxes and wanes. Maybe Mike can time his biorhythms to the schedule or something. :-)

Last night was the more dominant performance by a Cornell team since the 2005 PBUH season (fuck Minnesota). They easily outshone even the 2010 and 2012 editions.

There are caveats: Colgate sucks, and they sucked even worse last night because apparently they were missing guys. Likewise the Union win was against their Eddy Skazyk. And we did need a miracle comeback to beat RPI. So this could all be an illusion.

But if the team runs on confidence, and if momentum is actually a thing and not just statistical rubbish, they've got to be feeling great going into this weekend.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2017 08:26AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2017 10:02AM

Trotsky
Gillam was great last night, but I'll agree that he waxes and wanes. Maybe Mike can time his biorhythms to the schedule or something. :-)

Last night was the more dominant performance by a Cornell team since the 2005 PBUH season (fuck Minnesota). They easily outshone even the 2010 and 2012 editions.

There are caveats: Colgate sucks, and they sucked even worse last night because apparently they were missing guys. Likewise the Union win was against their Eddy Skazyk. And we did need a miracle comeback to beat RPI. So this could all be an illusion.

But if the team runs on confidence, and if momentum is actually a thing and not just statistical rubbish, they've got to be feeling great going into this weekend.

Yeah, I was thinking after watching the team of late that it's the best Cornell team since the '05 edition. Of course they still have some work cut out for them, but unlike recent years I think we have a team that is capable of winning the ECAC's this season. But we can't afford more meltdowns like against Dartmouth (I don't consider Harvard truly a meltdown as we only had a 1-0 lead against a better team, and their 1st 2 goals were rather flukey).

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 08, 2017 10:36AM

the games look so much better without multiple penalties in a row.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 08, 2017 05:10PM

scoop85
Trotsky

Yeah, I was thinking after watching the team of late that it's the best Cornell team since the '05 edition.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2017 02:39PM

Big haul for the women's team for the Ivy Awards.
[cornellbigred.com]

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Hanna Bunton, Cornell (Sr., F – Belleville, Ontario, Canada)

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Kristin O'Neill, Cornell (Fr., F – Oakville, Ontario, Canada)

COACH OF THE YEAR
*Doug Derraugh, Cornell

FIRST TEAM ALL-IVY
*Hanna Bunton, Cornell (Sr., F – Belleville, Ontario, Canada)
*Karlie Lund, Princeton (So., F – Eden Prairie, Minn.)
Phoebe Staenz, Yale (Sr., F – Zurich, Switzerland)
*Micah Hart, Cornell (So., D – Saanichton, British Columbia, Canada)
Kelsey Koelzer, Princeton (Sr., D – Horsham, Pa.)
*Steph Neatby, Princeton (Fr., G – Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

SECOND TEAM ALL-IVY^
Kristin O'Neill, Cornell (Fr., F – Oakville, Ontario, Canada)
Sydney Daniels, Harvard (Sr., F – Southwick, Mass.)
Cassidy Tucker, Princeton (Sr., F – Plymouth, Mich.)
Briana Mastel, Harvard (Sr., D – Wallingford, Conn.)
Taylor Marchin, Yale (Sr., D – Algonac, Mich.)
Monica Elvin, Brown (Sr., G – Oakland, Calif.)
Marlène Boissonnault, Cornell (So., G – Dundee, New Brunswick, Canada)
Paula Voorheis, Cornell (Sr., G – Shanty Bay, Ontario, Canada)
Robyn Chemago, Dartmouth (Sr., G – Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada)

HONORABLE MENTION ALL-IVY
Kennedy Ottenbreit, Dartmouth (Sr., F – Grayson, Saskatchewan, Canada)
Carly Bullock, Princeton (Fr., F – Eden Prairie, Minn.)
Jaime Bourbonnais, Cornell (Fr., D – Mississauga, Ontario, Canada)
Stephanie Sucharda, Princeton (So., D – Mississauga, Ontario, Canada)

* Unanimous Selection
^ Second Team Expanded Due To Tie In Voting

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2017 10:23AM

Weidner Named Finalist for League’s Best Defensive Forward Award.

If he doesn't win, then the award name should be changed. Look at the other 2 finalists and what they list as high points.

Troy Josephs, Clarkson: "The Golden Knights team leader in plus/minus (+12), Josephs also scored a team-high 19 goals..." Plus much more on offensive issues.
The only mention of defense is "The solid two-way player..."

Mike Vecchione, Union: "recently became the the all-time leading scorer in program history (171 points) and all-time assists leader (103)..." Plus much more on offensive issues. Not one thing mentioned about his defense.

Now for Weidner: "The senior from Grand Valley, Ont. registered 53 blocks on the season, while winning 318 face-offs in league-play, which was second most. His 2.14 blocks per game were nearly double that of his next counterpart, as only three others players recorded half that number. He was also the nation’s leader in blocked shots."

So what is the meaning of defense?

He's my CU MVP, even though I didn't vote for him.

Date: March 17, 2017 07:02AM

Not really an award, but where else do I put it?

Inside ECAC Hockey Features Freschi & Madsen.

Link to Freschi's segment.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 07:02PM

Cornell joins RPI as the only ECAC schools with no players on the First-, Second-, or Third-Team All-ECAC Teams. But Kaldis did make the All-Rookie Team.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 07:03PM by BearLover.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 07:08PM

But as of 7pm Friday, I know of 9 teams that would love to trade places with us.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 07:09PM by toddlose.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.125.---)
Date: March 17, 2017 08:22PM

Weidner was named Defensive Forward of the Year.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: April 20, 2017 06:56AM

McCarron & Voorheis On Winter Academic All-Ivy

Date: April 20, 2017 10:20AM

This is good. Dr. Mrs. (she of the working class far west) maintains an impression of Douglas C. Niedermeyeresque Ivy student-athletes sipping sloe gin fizzes on the veranda and ordering about the one smart kid who's only on the team to pull up the composite GPA (ahem, Ryan Coon...).

I love it when the All-Academic list also includes someone who is arguably the team MVP. :)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 10:21AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: May 08, 2017 07:08PM

Voorheis Named Devens Award Winner

The CornellBigRed take on it.

And this USCHO article may be the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2017 07:18PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: May 08, 2017 07:35PM

This SI piece on Sarah Devens has stuck with me for 20+ years.

[www.si.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2017 04:11PM

Cornell Awards at Banquet

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login