Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Backhands

Posted by LaJollaRed 
Backhands
Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 13, 2016 09:32PM

Alright, general question time.

When I played (roller) hockey growing up, I feel like we spent a lot of time learning to shoot backhands. I don't see much of that in hockey. Not at the college level, not at the pro level. Am I missing something? Are backhanded slap shots just not a thing in ice hockey? It seems like every time I see a player high in the slot with a straight shot on net he has to do at least two more touches to get to his forehand side.

What's going on here?

Re: Backhands
Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 14, 2016 09:26AM

my guess is that there is so little control that other than desperation time its not worth the effort.. the pros shot backhands all the time but i dont recall anyone trying slapshots.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2016 10:38AM

Am I missed something? The stick is curved.

Posted by: redice (---.fltg.net)
Date: November 14, 2016 12:17PM

The backhand shot is something that seems to be limited to the more gifted athletes..... I've long thought it to be a skill worth developing....

-Ned Harkness

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2016 05:46AM by redice.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2016 12:27PM

I've seen a lot of backhand shots but don't recall many backhand slap shots, which LaJollaRed was asking about.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 14, 2016 12:47PM

upprdeck
my guess is that there is so little control that other than desperation time its not worth the effort.. the pros shot backhands all the time but i dont recall anyone trying slapshots.
Seems like an exciting new way for Cornell players to wind up and miss the net by 4 feet.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2016 02:03PM

ugarte
upprdeck
Seems like an exciting new way for Cornell players to wind up and miss the net by 4 feet.

Better email it to Holden... whistle

I actually think the difference between last year and this year is significant. With one notable exception (the clockwork doomed reliance on the Buckles slapper from the left circle on pp that will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever produce a goal unless it's a shorty off a blocked shot) I think the team is setting up much better shots, taking lots of quick wristers and short one-timers, and in general being far more creative.

I like this offensive style and wish to subscribe to its newsletter.

Posted by: The Rancor (107.72.162.---)
Date: November 14, 2016 11:36PM

Back hands would usually take the form of a wrist shot or snap maybe a sweep/deflection. Slap shot... never.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: November 15, 2016 08:17AM

So is a baseball bat perpendicular to the long axis.

I didn't take the slap shot part of the question as being the point- rather that the puck can be propelled to the net from the off hand side. And as someone already pointed out, the decrease in accuracy and control is not something our team has traditionally worried about.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: November 15, 2016 12:09PM

I don't see backhands taken much at the college level, even in situations where they would be advantageous. I find it strange too because backhanders are harder for a goaltender to pick up, and even if not accurate they can create a rebound.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 15, 2016 07:40PM

[www.wday.com]

Speaking of backhands...

[cue the thread drift about 3x3 second overtimes]

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2016 12:30AM

The Rancor
Back hands would usually take the form of a wrist shot or snap maybe a sweep/deflection. Slap shot... never.

You can't snap a backhand either- that would be really awkward to try.

There is one advantage to the backhand not yet mentioned- it's a lot easier to roof a backhand than a forehand- takes much less stick action to generate the lift.

Posted by: redice (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: November 18, 2016 07:33PM

Angello's first againsy Q was a beautiful backhand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login