Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Opponents News

Posted by Trotsky 
Page: Previous1 2 34Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Opponents News
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2017 01:26PM

Jim Hyla
Big controversy at the Q @ H game last night. Pecknold was ejected and got a 2 min "Abuse of Officials" and 10 min Game Misconduct". That was the decisive play, as H scored 3 goals in 44 sec. He was protesting that H's first 5 on 3 goal was kicked in.

Here's the link to the ILDN highlights. The event starts around 26 sec. As much as I don't like Pecknold, when I watch it in slo-mo, I have to say I agree with him.

Those highlights don't show his pyrotechnics. Did he say the magic words, or did he actually have physical contact with the officials? If the latter that sounds like Suspension City.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2017 01:29PM

RichH
marty
Tigers puck luck continuing. Leading Duluth 2-1.

On CBS sports as I post.

By Tigers, you mean CC, not Princeton. Had to go check, based on the thread topics.

Yes, CC with back to back results that could be a turning point in their season. A tie vs #1 is impressive in spite of Duluth outplaying them in the third and the two OTs.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2017 01:44PM

Jim Hyla
He was protesting that H's first 5 on 3 goal was kicked in.

Here's the link to the ILDN highlights. The event starts around 26 sec. As much as I don't like Pecknold, when I watch it in slo-mo, I have to say I agree with him.

I'm not sure. I could see this going either way.

Watching it the first time, at full-speed, I thought the puck just went in off the H player's stationary skate.

Watching it a few times in slow motion, it is clear that the H player's skate moves in the direction of the goal and does, in fact, direct the puck in, but I don't think it was "a kicking motion." I think the player was trying to get leverage to turn and attempt to shoot the puck in. In his attempt to get leverage, his skate did contact the puck, the result being the goal. I just don't think there was "a kicking motion", and I think the player genuinely did not intend to kick the puck in.

It's definitely a close call.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2017 02:17PM

Jim Hyla
Big controversy at the Q @ H game last night. Pecknold was ejected and got a 2 min "Abuse of Officials" and 10 min Game Misconduct". That was the decisive play, as H scored 3 goals in 44 sec. He was protesting that H's first 5 on 3 goal was kicked in.

Anyone at the game, watched it on ILDN, or heard anything from the CT press?

I can't remember an instance when I saw a coach kicked out for that, but it's probably just my bad memory.
I don't know what the officials saw. To my eye, it is clear that the puck started toward the goal as a result of being propelled by #13's moving skate. However, it doesn't look to me as though he was trying to kick the puck in (the "distinct kicking motion" referred to in the rule book as being needed to invalidate a goal), but rather was trying to turn to face the goal and accidentally pushed the puck. I also can't tell whether or not his stick subsequently touched the puck in the crease just before it entered the net, the view being obscured by the goal post. He was trying to ensure that the puck went in by giving it a tap, and if he did touch it the goal was certainly good. My eye doesn't detect a change in direction of the puck as a result of possible stick contact, but I can't rule it out.

Date: January 07, 2017 02:30PM

Jim Hyla

I can't remember an instance when I saw a coach kicked out for that, but it's probably just my bad memory.

Here it is. Interesting is that Rand gets tossed before the play is reviewed. It is borderline but there was no way that with a close call like this and Pecknold already gone that it would be overturned.

I apologize for the video going in an out if HD. I think it is a combination of Windows, ILDN and the capture program causing agita in my i5 processor.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 07, 2017 02:38PM

marty
Jim Hyla

Here it is. Interesting is that Rand gets tossed before the play is reviewed. It is borderline but there was no way that with a close call like this and Pecknold already gone that it would be overturned.

I apologize for the video going in an out if HD. I think it is a combination of Windows, ILDN and the capture program causing agita in my i5 processor.

If I'm reviewing that, I call it a no goal. His foot is stationary, then juts towards the puck. That's enough of a kick for me.

But it's close enough to go either way, certainly.

Date: January 07, 2017 03:16PM

marty
Jim Hyla

Thanks for the full video clip. I think the officials were concentrating on whether he got his stick on the puck just before it went in. The overhead view was inconclusive, so the ruling on the ice was sustained.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2017 03:35PM

Dafatone

If I'm reviewing that, I call it a no goal. His foot is stationary, then juts towards the puck. That's enough of a kick for me.

You aren't viewing enough of the play if you think that. His foot was NOT stationary. His right foot/leg slide forward (away from the goal) and he gets up on the rearmost point of his blade with the foot in front of him. The skate then reverses and slides backwards (towards the goal) and deflects the puck in at the start of that motion.

The thing is, that motion is the most likely thing to do to retain his balance and turn towards the goal; skate went forward first, now it needs to go back. Exactly what the commentators say at ~4:30 in Marty's clip.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2017 04:17PM

RichH
marty

On CBS sports as I post.

By Tigers, you mean CC, not Princeton. Had to go check, based on the thread topics.

Princeton actually lost last night pretty bad to Dartmouth, although their struggles in Hanover are much worse than Cornell's. It probably has something to do with the tennis balls. Things won't be easier for them tonight.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 04:19PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 07, 2017 04:34PM

abmarks
Dafatone

You aren't viewing enough of the play if you think that. His foot was NOT stationary. His right foot/leg slide forward (away from the goal) and he gets up on the rearmost point of his blade with the foot in front of him. The skate then reverses and slides backwards (towards the goal) and deflects the puck in at the start of that motion.

The thing is, that motion is the most likely thing to do to retain his balance and turn towards the goal; skate went forward first, now it needs to go back. Exactly what the commentators say at ~4:30 in Marty's clip.

If there's a kicking motion but it's unintentional, does that still count as a kick? You're right, he was trying to regain balance rather than put the puck in, but to me, he still pushes his skate into the puck. To me, getting away with no kicking motion means either not moving or gliding into the puck without any leg movement.

Date: January 07, 2017 04:51PM

Dafatone

If there's a kicking motion but it's unintentional, does that still count as a kick? You're right, he was trying to regain balance rather than put the puck in, but to me, he still pushes his skate into the puck. To me, getting away with no kicking motion means either not moving or gliding into the puck without any leg movement.

It's only no goal if there was intent to kick in. Incidental skate contact (as this was) or angling a skate (without a kick) to deflect a puck in, is fine.

This was one of the easier reviews for officials to handle that you will see. They know the rules.

EDIT: Besides, that wasn't a kicking motion in this scenario.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 04:58PM by abmarks.

Date: January 07, 2017 04:57PM

NCAA RULES
83.4 Goals Scored Off of Skates - A puck that is directed into the net by an
attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct
kicking motion is evident.
A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player
who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or
official. A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who
does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal.
The following should clarify deflections following a puck kicked by an
attacking player that enters the goal:
• A kicked puck that deflects off the body of any player of either team
(including the goalkeeper) shall be ruled no goal. The body refers to
anything other than a player’s stick.
• A kicked puck that deflects off the stick of any player (excluding the
goalkeeper’s stick) shall be ruled a good goal.
• A goal will be allowed when an attacking player kicks the puck and the
puck deflects off his own stick and then into the net.
A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks any equipment
(stick, glove, helmet, etc.) at the puck, including kicking the blade of his own
stick, causing the puck to cross the goal line. A puck that is batted into the net
by a hand or foot or deliberately batted with any part of the attacking player’s
body is not a legal goal.
A goal shall be allowed if a puck deflects off an attacking player who is in
the act of stopping.

Date: January 07, 2017 09:46PM

marty
RichH
marty

On CBS sports as I post.

Yes, CC with back to back results that could be a turning point in their season. A tie vs #1 is impressive in spite of Duluth outplaying them in the third and the two OTs.

CC leading Duluth again after 2.

Old Opponents News
Date: January 10, 2017 11:05PM

I was looking for articles concerning my recently departed cousin and found some vintage opponent news.

Re: Old Opponents News
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: January 11, 2017 12:12PM

Interesting article underneath about Dale Hall, Army football coach on the hotseat for losing 3 times to Navy. This year Army beat Navy for the first time in what? 14 years? Some things don't change.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2017 12:21PM

A Harvard skate appeared to help direct the puck in and there was an attempted shot with the stick that got nothing but air, so it's possible the ref thought he saw the puck being directed in by the stick.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: January 11, 2017 01:49PM

Who cares about the goal? The only thing I got out of this incident is reinforcement that Pecknold is the Hothead Asshat of the league's coaches and that Harvard can't find any broadcasters who don't sound like complete unknowledgable tools.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: January 12, 2017 08:07AM

RichH
Who cares about the goal? The only thing I got out of this incident is reinforcement that Pecknold is the Hothead Asshat of the league's coaches and that Harvard can't find any broadcasters who don't sound like complete unknowledgable tools.

Is this news? :-P

Date: January 12, 2017 11:58AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH

Is this news? :-P

Not news at all. Just trying to recenter the thread so the important stuff doesn't get buried.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 12, 2017 12:55PM

Princeton had 1,304 attendance for their last game. Capacity is 2,092. I suspect there will be seats available.

Date: January 13, 2017 07:49AM

Trotsky
Princeton had 1,304 attendance for their last game. Capacity is 2,092. I suspect there will be seats available.

I'm counting on it.

Date: January 13, 2017 09:35PM

RPI G Chase Perry with 41 saves in the shutout of Harvard tonight. Also, their other G (and Cornell decommit) Cam Hackett has been indefinitely suspended by RPI for Unspecified Naughtiness.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 09:36PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 09:47PM

Trotsky
RPI G Chase Perry with 41 saves in the shutout of Harvard tonight. Also, their other G (and Cornell decommit) Cam Hackett has been indefinitely suspended by RPI for Unspecified Naughtiness.

Seth Appert did say that whatever Hackett did, it was not illegal.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-134.myvzw.com)
Date: January 13, 2017 09:51PM

Trotsky

It was a fun game to watch. A shorty goal with 0.6 sec left in the first and a ppg with 1.2 seconds left in the second were notable. Perry looked like he was stopping beach balls all night. Sucks switched sieves after two. Madsen certainly had a rough go.

You can watch Harvard skate circles around RPI in the second (for free) at RPITV.ORG. it may be a few days before the game is available for replay.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2017 02:52PM

abmarks
It's only no goal if there was intent to kick in.

There is no provision for this whatsoever. Intentional or not, if it's a kicking motion, it's not a good goal. The only provision is if the player is stopping and that's not what happened here.

Date: January 17, 2017 03:02PM

CowbellGuy
abmarks

There is no provision for this whatsoever. Intentional or not, if it's a kicking motion, it's not a good goal. The only provision is if the player is stopping and that's not what happened here.
Is there a clip?

I couldn't tell from the replay what part of Jeff it went in off. I thought it might have hit him around the waist, but the announcers speculated first the skate and then later a glove. In the event it looked like he was braking as he moved toward the goal and the puck surprised him and just went in off his body. Not only did it not look like intent, it didn't even look as if he realized what had happened.

I wouldn't have been surprised either way so I naturally assumed the call would go against us. **]

Edit: Christ, never mind. I'm talking about Kubiak's no goal, not the Harvard goal. Wrong thread, wrong event, I really am getting old.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2017 03:03PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 17, 2017 03:46PM

CowbellGuy
abmarks

You are part right and part wrong. I should not have used the word intent, you are correct there. The requirement is "a distinct kicking motion". However, you are wrong about the only provision being a player stopping; it is simply one clarifying example cited in the rules (IMO because it is not an uncommon occurrence for a player to be stopping in the crease after charging the net)

Per the rulebook (which I posted earlier in this thread)

NCAA RULES
83.4 Goals Scored Off of Skates - A puck that is directed into the net by an
attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct
kicking motion is evident.

It says only that it cannot be a distinct kicking motion. The player can be spinning in circles like a figure skater and it would be a good goal. Or, as in the gola discussed in the thread, the player was clearly getting his balance and moved his foot to a natural balance point. It wasn't a kicking motion at all.

A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player
who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or
official. A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who
does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal.

The following should clarify deflections following a puck kicked by an
attacking player that enters the goal:
• A kicked puck that deflects off the body of any player of either team
(including the goalkeeper) shall be ruled no goal. The body refers to
anything other than a player’s stick.
• A kicked puck that deflects off the stick of any player (excluding the
goalkeeper’s stick) shall be ruled a good goal.
• A goal will be allowed when an attacking player kicks the puck and the
puck deflects off his own stick and then into the net.
A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks any equipment
(stick, glove, helmet, etc.) at the puck, including kicking the blade of his own
stick, causing the puck to cross the goal line. A puck that is batted into the net
by a hand or foot or deliberately batted with any part of the attacking player’s
body is not a legal goal.
A goal shall be allowed if a puck deflects off an attacking player who is in
the act of stopping.

OK, there is the stopping example. But it's a clarification, not an entire listing. An example not cited is this: PLayer A is stopped motionless just above the crease. PLayer B shoots the puck at PLayer A and it banks in off his skate. That's a good goal.

Date: January 17, 2017 06:17PM

Trotsky
CowbellGuy
abmarks

Is there a clip?

Even though I realize that Trotsky was talking about a different goal, here is the Harvard score for those that missed it. There is some comedy value as Pecknold is tossed for complaining to the refs who then review the goal after his ejection.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2017 06:21PM by marty.

Date: January 17, 2017 09:11PM

Harvard blows leads of 2-0 and 4-3 to lose at Dartmouth 4-7.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-70-209-139.myvzw.com)
Date: January 17, 2017 09:14PM

Trotsky

Wait till it's over 8-4

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 17, 2017 09:54PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky

Wait till it's over 8-4

I'm confused. It's not a Monday in February yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2017 10:03PM by Chris '03.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2017 10:00PM

And Harvard's loss drops them to 12 and moves us to 11th in PWR. Would've been unfathomable just a few days ago that we would now be ahead of them in Pairwise

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2017 10:03PM

scoop85
And Harvard's loss drops them to 12 and moves us to 11th in PWR. Would've been unfathomable just a few days ago that we would now be ahead of them in Pairwise

Wasn't it UNO who was sitting at #2 in PWR at the break last year and failed to make the tournament?

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2017 11:40PM

Dartmouth has got to be the most inconsistent team ever. It seems to be the same thing with them every year--middle through the regular season and get an unexpected victory here or there.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2017 11:41PM by Iceberg.

Date: January 18, 2017 10:22AM

scoop85
I guess there is still a lot of volatility, particularly for Ivies with only 16 games or so.

2 to 12 in two weeks is bad, but I wonder what happened to us over the end of January, early February last year?

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: January 18, 2017 11:26AM

Trotsky
scoop85
I guess there is still a lot of volatility, particularly for Ivies with only 16 games or so.

2 to 12 in two weeks is bad, but I wonder what happened to us over the end of January, early February last year?

I would expect Harvard's loss to RPI to be pretty damaging.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-128.myvzw.com)
Date: January 19, 2017 07:36PM

RPI scored on a PP to lead 1-0 after one in the exhibition game at the TU center. And they just won the robo-hockey game in the intermission.

Date: January 19, 2017 10:25PM

As of late Thursday evening we are now up to #10 in PWR

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2017 10:48PM

marty
And they (RPI) just won the robo-hockey game in the intermission.

abmarks
As of late Thursday evening we are now up to #10 in PWR

I had no idea a robo-hockey game would have that much of an effect on pairwise... :)

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 10, 2017 09:27PM

I am no fan of Rand Pecknold, but have to hand it to him: he's the only coach I've seen at any level ballsy enough to make the mathematically superior decision of pulling his goalie with 3 minutes left instead of the usual 1 or 1:30 remaining.

Posted by: Weder (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2017 10:34PM

BearLover
I am no fan of Rand Pecknold, but have to hand it to him: he's the only coach I've seen at any level ballsy enough to make the mathematically superior decision of pulling his goalie with 3 minutes left instead of the usual 1 or 1:30 remaining.

I assume you mean in a one-goal game, but Doug Derraugh is pretty aggressive about pulling the goalie when down by two. (And I feel like this is becoming more common in general.)

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2017 11:53PM

BearLover

Credit Patrick Roy and the 2013-14 Colorado Avalanche

Date: February 11, 2017 03:45AM

LGR14
BearLover

Credit Patrick Roy and the 2013-14 Colorado Avalanche
You're right! I certainly remember now. Here's a good article on how more teams are following suit.

Date: February 11, 2017 01:16PM

BearLover

Seth Appert does it also, although it never seems to work.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2017 04:15PM

ursusminor
BearLover

Seth Appert does it also, although it never seems to work.

But does anything seem to work for him?burnout

Date: February 11, 2017 05:39PM

IIRC a few years ago one of the directional Michigan U's, or perhaps UNO, tried to play most or all of the third period with the G pulled in a game they were far behind. It didn't work, although the damage wasn't too bad -- like 2 goals per side or something of that nature.

IMO you pull the goalie with as many mins left as you are behind.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 05:39PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 05:56PM

part of me thinks, that the better you are at controlling power plays the more aggressive you can be at pulling the goalie, if you can win faceoffs and not lose the puck pasing it in the zone you can take more chances.

given chances if avg Ds will get chances for a score to ice the game.

I do wonder why teams dont get more aggressive when they get late PP and dont always pull the goalie.

Date: February 11, 2017 06:01PM

upprdeck
I do wonder why teams dont get more aggressive when they get late PP and dont always pull the goalie.
Because the defender can ice with impunity.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 06:55PM

Trotsky
IIRC a few years ago one of the directional Michigan U's, or perhaps UNO, tried to play most or all of the third period with the G pulled in a game they were far behind. It didn't work, although the damage wasn't too bad -- like 2 goals per side or something of that nature.

IMO you pull the goalie with as many mins left as you are behind.
2015 NCAA Tournament - Miami was down 6-2 to Providence and pulled the goalie with almost 13 minutes left. Miami scored 3 times to make it 6-5 before Providence finally scored an empty-netter.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2017 08:48PM

Dartmouth getting blown out by Union in Hanover. At least they have the Winter Carnival.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2017 08:00AM

Northern Michigan's Tolvanen Earns 5th Straight Shutout; Closes In On Coveted Record.

Pretty amazing.

Date: February 12, 2017 08:35AM

Too bad they haven't kept records for consecutive saves made. Sounds like he could already have that.

Date: February 15, 2017 01:34PM

The dumbest idea yet. rolleyes

Date: February 15, 2017 01:48PM

RPI captures the NYC market? Um...

Date: February 15, 2017 02:29PM

ursusminor

RPI captures the coveted NYC Capital District market home to the Albany River Rats...Albany Devils...Albany ?'s. But more importantly the league rounds out its nerd factor as the Freshman Engineers fulfill the coveted "Calculus Distribution" requirement.stupid

Date: February 15, 2017 02:52PM

marty
ursusminor

RPI captures the coveted NYC Capital District market home to the Albany River Rats...Albany Devils...Albany ?'s. But more importantly the league rounds out its nerd factor as the Freshman Engineers fulfill the coveted "Calculus Distribution" requirement.stupid

You live there, so you probably know more than I do, but RPI doesn't even own the CD market currently, having lost it to Union. We are probably capable of getting it back, but NYC is ridiculous. There is a vacancy in the HEA that would fit better, but I don't think that there is serious interest there either.

Date: February 15, 2017 04:07PM

ursusminor
marty
ursusminor

You live there, so you probably know more than I do, but RPI doesn't even own the CD market currently, having lost it to Union. We are probably capable of getting it back, but NYC is ridiculous. There is a vacancy in the HEA that would fit better, but I don't think that there is serious interest there either.

I don't think there is a significant (hockey) sports market in the tri-city region. I have no answer regarding the empty seats for the Cornell at Union game on the 3rd. The turn out at the Mayor's Cup TU Center game was ok considering the Thursday night slot but disappointing compared to prior years. Regional turnout here has been less than I expect as a college hockey fan. The ECAC left town because of dwindling attendance (and a payoff from the Atlantic City competitor).

I'd rather get off my butt, see some friends and drink some barely acceptible coffee during my regular trips to Houston Fieldhouse but many former season ticket holders disagree.

?I don't understand!?!?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2017 04:25PM

ursusminor

This is one of the dopiest things I've seen lately outside of the Trump White House :-P

Date: February 28, 2017 10:18AM

When I first read this, I thought that the ECAC had to find a new team. Finishing behind RPI this season is a reason to fold. rolleyes

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2017 12:54PM

ECAC Hockey suspends Rensselaer’s Tironese one game for spearing penalty versus Colgate.

Too bad they couldn't have seen a tape of Union from our game.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2017 01:11PM

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2017 10:27PM

I wonder if Brendan Whittet will go soon too.

Date: March 07, 2017 08:41AM

Gaudet is another one to watch. He's an alum and well-liked, and Dartmouth doesn't care whether they are competitive, so he can probably stay as long as he wants, but his son has graduated and he's closing in on his 30th year as a coach with a lifetime 50+ games under .500, and they cratered this year.

Fun fact: Gaudet has 181 fewer losses than Jerry York. And 648 fewer wins.

Date: March 07, 2017 08:44AM

Don Vaughn, too. 25 years at 'Gate, now coming off back-to-back .324 seasons (the worst during his tenure).

Date: March 11, 2017 08:06AM

Coach Kyle Dismissed at Northern Michigan.

In the comment section; "seth appert (FSU alum) will replace him...".

Kyle Charged With Felonies; Attorney: 'Entirely Innocent'.

Not being a lawyer and obviously not knowing all the facts, the defense attorney gives a good argument.

Date: March 11, 2017 11:22AM

Jim Hyla
Coach Kyle Dismissed at Northern Michigan.

In the comment section; "seth appert (FSU alum) will replace him...".

Kyle Charged With Felonies; Attorney: 'Entirely Innocent'.

Not being a lawyer and obviously not knowing all the facts, the defense attorney gives a good argument.

Finally a topic that doesn't require knowledge of advanced analytics :-).

Kyle's attorneys statement is interesting and paints a plausible picture. The one thing though that I find peculiar is that Kyle allegedly acted under the Power of Attorney to sign the mortgage documents. While it is certainly legal to do so, it is unusual to use a POA in this context. Typically a lender will want both borrower's to sign in their own capacity, precisely to avoid a later claim that the agent exceeded his authority. I wonder what circumstance could have occured that would have rendered Kyle's wife unable to sign the mortgage documents at a time convenient for her? But apparently supporting Kyle's claim is that the issue was raised during the matrimonial action and his wife's argument was rejected there. If so, it greatly weakens the prosecution's position in the criminal case.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2017 11:22PM

scoop85
ursusminor

This is one of the dopiest things I've seen lately outside of the Trump White House :-P

But this is an extremely high bar to use when measuring dopiness. Moreover, it's a moving target with a feedback loop, also known as the dopiness accelerator.

Date: March 20, 2017 11:07PM

Clarkson junior Sam Vigneault (12-24-36) signs early with Columbus.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 11:08PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 21, 2017 11:02PM

John Hayden, Yale senior, is already playing with the Blackhawks, but still trying to finish his coursework. [www.dailyherald.com]

Date: March 22, 2017 12:31PM

UMass Lowell’s Gambardella selected 65th Walter Brown Award winner.

Date: March 22, 2017 12:57PM

I had never heard of this award.

Date: March 22, 2017 01:11PM

Trotsky

I hadn't either until the college hockey press began lapping up anything Jimmy Vesey did on his way to an undeserved (IMO) career achievement version of the Hobey.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 22, 2017 01:20PM

"In the final voting, Gambardella won by a slight margin over Northeastern senior forward Zach Aston-Reese, also of Staten Island..."

Who knew Staten Island was such a hockey hotbed?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-70-209-128.myvzw.com)
Date: March 22, 2017 01:46PM

Trotsky

Why would you, unless you were an American born New Englander?

Reminds me of that old BC "we're better than you, because we're all Americans." None of those Canadians.

Date: March 22, 2017 01:48PM

Trotsky

"presented annually to the best American-born college hockey player in New England. The nation's oldest nationally-recognized college hockey honor..."

What does "nationally-recognized" even mean? And of course this doubly-exclusionary award is from New England. You have to be born here AND play in this one specific region. Ah, Boston provincialism. I'm sure you get bonus votes the closer your house is to Beacon Street.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 22, 2017 01:50PM

RichH
Trotsky

"presented annually to the best American-born college hockey player in New England. The nation's oldest nationally-recognized college hockey honor..."

What does "nationally-recognized" even mean? And of course this doubly-exclusionary award is from New England. You have to be born here AND play in this one specific region. Ah, Boston provincialism. I'm sure you get bonus votes the closer your house is to Beacon Street.

There's a reason they call them Mass-Holes.

Date: March 22, 2017 02:40PM

what's with the triggering and butt-hurt?

This group is pretty clear about there mission- it's not exclusionary, it's local. THe statement about nationally recognized etc may we ll be hyperbole, but who cares about that?

official website
Welcome to the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston

Welcome to the official “Gridiron Club of Greater Boston” website. We have been Keepers of the Flame of Boston sporting tradition for over 75 years. Founded in 1932, the Gridiron Club promotes the game of football at all levels and nurtures the ideals of citizenship, sportsmanship, leadership, and athletic and academic achievement. Through its annual dinners and golf tournament, the club carries on its tradition of honoring exemplary players, coaches and officials at all levels of sport.

And it's a charity FFS

Our Mission

The Gridiron Club supports worthy causes and charities as carries on its tradition of honoring exemplary players, coaches and officials at all levels of sport.

Proceeds from the first-ever Gridiron Club Dinner, held in the darkest days of the Great Depression, assisted those in financial need. That event spawned a series of annual events that have raised funds for many charities and causes, which customarily are suggested by our award nominees and approved by the Board of Directors.

Organizations supported by the Gridiron Club in recent years include the Italian Home for Children, United Cerebral Palsy of the North Shore, the Massachusetts State Hospital School for Children, the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, the Ron Burton Training Center, the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Tenacity Sports, Temple Sinai of Sharon, the Black Educators’ Alliance of Massachusetts, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Seven Hills Foundation, Kennedy-Donovan Center, South Norfolk Association for Retarded Citizens, the Inner City Scholarship Fund, and the Joslin Diabetes Centers of Boston and Syracuse.

Date: March 22, 2017 03:00PM

abmarks

Whoa, there. I think you could answer that as well.

it's not exclusionary, it's local.

Hey, that's a great new slogan for Boston tourism ads! ;-) ;-) ;-)

And it's a charity FFS

Yeah, so is the Friar's Club, but that doesn't mean it exists for a reason other than the exclusive club atmosphere and the dirty jokes.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (72.2.237.---)
Date: March 22, 2017 03:39PM

CU2007
"In the final voting, Gambardella won by a slight margin over Northeastern senior forward Zach Aston-Reese, also of Staten Island..."

Who knew Staten Island was such a hockey hotbed?
Aston-Reese was Hockey East POTY.

Date: March 22, 2017 03:45PM

RichH

Yeah, so is the Friar's Club, but that doesn't mean it exists for a reason other than the exclusive club atmosphere and the dirty jokes.

and your point? The Friar's club is a great institution.

Date: March 22, 2017 03:54PM

abmarks

This group is pretty clear about there mission- it's not exclusionary, it's local. THe statement about nationally recognized etc may we ll be hyperbole, but who cares about that?

official website
Welcome to the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston

Welcome to the official “Gridiron Club of Greater Boston” website. We have been Keepers of the Flame of Boston sporting tradition for over 75 years. Founded in 1932, the Gridiron Club promotes the game of football at all levels and nurtures the ideals of citizenship, sportsmanship, leadership, and athletic and academic achievement. Through its annual dinners and golf tournament, the club carries on its tradition of honoring exemplary players, coaches and officials at all levels of sport.

Keepers of the flame, honoring Americans who fit our sporting tradition.

I think I'm very sensitive to this as I had to live through all the crap that CU teams, predominately Canadians, received back in the day. That's why I mentioned the BC issue. For those who don't know, BC used to be only Americans, and proud of it. Proud to the effect of badmouthing our Canadians. It probably wont ever leave me.

In fact I even get annoyed, when at games like at LP, something comes up about the Olympics and the crowd goes wild with USA, USA... Doing it right in front of our Canadian players. As I said, I'll probably never get over it.

Date: March 22, 2017 04:42PM

I think I speak for all* of us when I say fuck Massachusetts, fuck Massholes, fuck the T, fuck the Hatch Shell, fuck the Pike, fuck Storrow Drive, fuck the Red Sox, fuck their pink capped fans, fuck the Patriots, fuck their bandwagon fans, fuck the Afflecks, fuck the worst accent on the planet, fuck the ugliest population in the gene pool, fuck Mattapan, fuck Nahant, fuck West Rox, fuck DAW-chest-a, fuck Brockton, fuck Charleston (but not the Chews), fuck Southies with a rusty rake, and wicked fuck Bostonians.

* And if not, fuck you too.

Now then. Let's go Red.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2017 05:19PM

Well, fuck you too!! As a history buff, Boston is my favorite place to visit.. The Dead Sox, Patriots, especially Tom "fuckface" Brady do suck!!! Nothing personal, Greg... I just LOVE Boston!!!

-Ned Harkness

Date: March 22, 2017 10:16PM

Trotsky
I think I speak for all* of us when I say fuck Massachusetts, fuck Massholes, fuck the T, fuck the Hatch Shell, fuck the Pike, fuck Storrow Drive, fuck the Red Sox, fuck their pink capped fans, fuck the Patriots, fuck their bandwagon fans, fuck the Afflecks, fuck the worst accent on the planet, fuck the ugliest population in the gene pool, fuck Mattapan, fuck Nahant, fuck West Rox, fuck DAW-chest-a, fuck Brockton, fuck Charleston (but not the Chews), fuck Southies with a rusty rake, and wicked fuck Bostonians.

* And if not, fuck you too.

Now then. Let's go Red.

Jealousy/envy doesn't look good on you.

Though you got one right: f the Afflecks

Posted by: Hooking (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 08:19AM

It is possible to take even the best of intentions too far, even awards for excellence and community pride. Expressions of the worst of intentions are becoming increasingly common and increasingly tedious.

Date: March 29, 2017 06:56PM

Union suffers a blow as Spencer Foo (a junior) is leaving to pursue professional opportunities. Without Foo, Vechionne, Taylor or Skardopolous, hard to see Union as a top-4 team in the league next year.

Date: March 29, 2017 09:04PM

scoop85
Union suffers a blow as Spencer Foo (a junior) is leaving to pursue professional opportunities. Without Foo, Vechionne, Taylor or Skardopolous, hard to see Union as a top-4 team in the league next year.
Good.

Date: March 30, 2017 05:02PM

Trotsky
scoop85
Good.

+!

Date: March 30, 2017 07:19PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
scoop85
Good.

+!

Reported on Ch6 WRGB tonight - Nick Desimone is leaving Union for the San Jose Barracuda. The flying Dutchmen appear to be leaving a sinking ship.
cheer

Date: March 31, 2017 07:04AM

Discontent among hockey alums

RPI Search and Nanne gone
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2017 07:13AM by marty.

Date: March 31, 2017 10:04AM

Sounds like if the Troy Record was delivered to the RPI administration in a flaming bag of poop it would be more welcome these days. popcorn

A shame that program has fallen so far off TPTB radar. Cornell doesn't give a huge commitment to hockey, but it beats that shitshow. Ralph has my sympathy. uhoh

Date: March 31, 2017 03:58PM

Trotsky
Sounds like if the Troy Record was delivered to the RPI administration in a flaming bag of poop it would be more welcome these days. popcorn

A shame that program has fallen so far off TPTB radar. Cornell doesn't give a huge commitment to hockey, but it beats that shitshow. Ralph has my sympathy. uhoh

Thanks.

Of course, it is conceivable that this is Fake News. :-P

Date: April 02, 2017 01:41PM

The academic issue surfaces

There is a Times Union story in today's edition, too. It is currently behind their pay wall. I will likely be able to post it later in the week. It is a kinder, gentler version of the first story posted above.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2017 02:55PM

All over twitter that Dave Smith from Canisius is the new RPI coach

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: April 04, 2017 08:04AM

scoop85
All over twitter that Dave Smith from Canisius is the new RPI coach

Here's the CHN article and the Schenectady Gazette articles. I couldn't find a Troy Record article.

Date: April 19, 2017 02:25AM

With Harvard, Union, and Cornell, as well as Clarkson, Yale, and Q, losing a massive amount of talent to graduation/early departures, I would imagine the ECAC will be relatively weak next year. Harvard will still have Donato, Fox, and Madsen, so they look to be the favorite, but if the Red's D can stay healthy I don't think our opponents are going to score many goals. St. Lawrence will also likely be a popular top-four pick due to them returning the best goalie in the league.

Re: Opponents News - new Michigan coach
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2017 09:35PM

Red Berenson has retired at 77 from Michigan; he was head coach since 1984. The replacement is Mel Pearson, who was a Michigan assistant for 23 years then head coach at Michigan Tech the last six.

[www.uscho.com]

Had Ned Harkness stuck with Cornell that long, he would have been head coach through 1996. And then could have turned things over to Mike Schafer.

Date: April 26, 2017 02:56AM

Harvard has a clear and significant recruiting advantage over the rest of the ECAC: [www.collegehockeynews.com]

Still waiting for that rising tide to lift Cornell's boat...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2017 02:57AM by BearLover.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (74.119.161.---)
Date: April 26, 2017 03:43AM

BearLover
You've told us this at least 500 times. I think that's 499 times too many.

Date: April 26, 2017 05:50AM

BearLover
Harvard has a clear and significant recruiting advantage over the rest of the ECAC: [www.collegehockeynews.com]

The simplest solutions involve throwing Harvard out of ECACHL or we could leave. I think it would be easier for Cornell to leave and a la NCHC a new league would be formed. Since the goal is to crown Cornell as the defacto leader of this movement/group we at eLynah are faced with the task of picking the other schools. My nominations for those schools are the AAAA teams of Alaska, Alaska, AIC and Alabama, along with the alphabetically challenged Sacred Heart.

I propose the league be called the GOHIC. The Gorge Out Hockey Ice Conference. It would segue perfectly with the progressive idea concerning beer sales at NCAA events. I can hear the chant from the Lynah faithful as we cheer our team at the Albany Times Union Center league championship series.

Go, Go, Go Hic !! drunk
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2017 06:10AM by marty.

Page: Previous1 2 34Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login