Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Annual Expectations/Predictions Poll

Posted by Beeeej 
Annual Expectations/Predictions Poll
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 14, 2016 11:47PM

Poll
Make Your Prediction: What performance would meet your expectations of Big Red Men's Hockey in 2016-17?
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
73 votes were received.
ECAC Bottom Third 1

1%
ECAC First Round Home 24

33%
ECAC First Round Bye 15

21%
Lake Placid 18

25%
ECAC Champions and/or NCAA Regionals 12

16%
Frozen Four 1

1%
National Champions 2

3%

The regular season starts two weeks from tonight, and this poll will run until the night before. Where do you think the men will end up this season? Vote in the poll so we can see the trends, then comment on the thread to claim your prediction.

Let's Go Red!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Annual Expectations/Predictions Poll
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2016 09:20AM

It's expectation, not "what constitutes a successful season?," so I went with first round home. The freshmen and returning sophomores will have to deliver most of the scoring -- the amount will depend on the system Mike goes with and how well they execute. Everyone here has called (more or less politely ;-) ) for an open and skill-minded style of play, and we have recruited consecutive classes which fit that. Last year's freshmen exceeded my wildest expectations.

I think they fight for 4th all season, finishing 5th ±2. If JAM repeats and we have two more legitimate scorers among the newcomers then we start talking about LP and edging into the NCAAs.

This is the 50th anniversary of the first national championship. Make it count, lads.
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2016 09:24AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: css228 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2016 09:56AM

Trotsky
It's expectation, not "what constitutes a successful season?," so I went with first round home. The freshmen and returning sophomores will have to deliver most of the scoring -- the amount will depend on the system Mike goes with and how well they execute. Everyone here has called (more or less politely ;-) ) for an open and skill-minded style of play, and we have recruited consecutive classes which fit that. Last year's freshmen exceeded my wildest expectations.

I think they fight for 4th all season, finishing 5th ±2. If JAM repeats and we have two more legitimate scorers among the newcomers then we start talking about LP and edging into the NCAAs.

This is the 50th anniversary of the first national championship. Make it count, lads.

Yes I agree with this. I expect they will lose in they will finish in the mid tier of the league and not make NCAAs for the 6th time in the last 7 years. I expect they will continue to play boring St. Louis Blues/NJD dump n' chase 1-2-2 neutral zone trap style hockey. If they meet my expectations it will not be a fun season. As always NCAAs = success. Gotta be in it to win it.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: October 15, 2016 02:53PM

I have moderately high hopes this year. Last year's freshman class was the best I've seen in quite a while, and while we lost some key players, it was a small graduating class overall. No idea what this year's freshman class will bring, but I'm really pumped to see what Angello, Vanderlaan, McCrea, and the rest can do down the road. I've been telling a Cornell hockey friend of mine that each year's freshman class is supposed to be great, and it paid off.

Plus, while last year's swoon was crushing, it's not like we were bad last year. If we finish a couple PWR spots better than we did last year, we're (likely, depending on how many upsets there are in conference tournaments) in the tourney.

Posted by: marty (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2016 11:07PM

Dafatone
Plus, while last year's swoon was crushing, it's not like we were bad last year. If we finish a couple PWR spots better than we did last year, we're (likely, depending on how many upsets there are in conference tournaments) in the tourney.

Wouldn't that be one spot better? Unless I don't understand we were just one spot away from being in.

Posted by: css228 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 16, 2016 01:05AM

Dafatone
I have moderately high hopes this year. Last year's freshman class was the best I've seen in quite a while, and while we lost some key players, it was a small graduating class overall. No idea what this year's freshman class will bring, but I'm really pumped to see what Angello, Vanderlaan, McCrea, and the rest can do down the road. I've been telling a Cornell hockey friend of mine that each year's freshman class is supposed to be great, and it paid off.

Or last season's swoon was the real us, and the first half was a shooting percentage fueled mirage. Just sayin.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2016 10:02AM

It would be a simple matter to see whether second halves are better predictors of the next year. It sounds like a fun project for TBRW. :)

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 19, 2016 09:44AM

Trotsky

Take heart then from the following:
Mike Schafer
“Gone are the days where you can physically punish teams, so now you have to intimidate with speed,” Schafer said to Cornell Athletics. “With this class, they’re all tremendous skaters and have great skills and offensive instincts. They’re going to increase our team’s speed and skill level and improve our ability to play at a faster pace.”

Trotsky
Amen, brother!

In Ned we trust.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 09:46AM by Swampy.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2016 01:14PM

Swampy
Trotsky

Mike Schafer
“Gone are the days where you can physically punish teams, so now you have to intimidate with speed,” Schafer said to Cornell Athletics. “With this class, they’re all tremendous skaters and have great skills and offensive instincts. They’re going to increase our team’s speed and skill level and improve our ability to play at a faster pace.”

Trotsky
Amen, brother!

In Ned we trust.

I guess that means I have to accept that I'm old.demented

Date: October 19, 2016 07:06PM

Jim Hyla
Swampy
Trotsky

Mike Schafer

Trotsky
Amen, brother!

In Ned we trust.

You're just realizing that? Wait ten years, and you won't remember it anymore.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2016 08:18PM

one not blown late game and we get in the NCAA tourney. one goal was all we needed

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2016 10:29PM

upprdeck
one not blown late game and we get in the NCAA tourney. one goal was all we needed

Which we couldn't score. As we couldn't in ten other games last year. You're not suggesting the offense is just fine, are you?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2016 06:53AM

Swampy
Jim Hyla
Swampy
Trotsky

Mike Schafer

Trotsky
Amen, brother!

In Ned we trust.

Gee, thanks.

Date: October 20, 2016 09:41PM

Jim Hyla
Swampy
Jim Hyla
Swampy
Trotsky

Mike Schafer

Trotsky
Amen, brother!

In Ned we trust.

Gee, thanks.

An elderly couple had dinner at another couple's house, and after eating, the wives left the table and went into the kitchen.

The two elderly gentlemen were talking, and one said, "Last night we went out to a new restaurant, and it was really great. I would recommend it very highly."

The other man said, "What's the name of the restaurant?"

The first man knits his brow in obvious concentration, and finally said to his companion, "Aahh, What is the name of that red flower you give to someone you love?

His friends replies, "A Carnation??"

"No. No. The other one" the man says.

His friend offers another suggestion, "The Poppy?"

"Nahhhh, growls the man. You know the one that is red and has thorns."

His friend said, "Do you mean a rose?"

"Yes, Yes that's it. Thank you!" the first man says.

He then turns toward the kitchen and yells, "Rose, what's the name of that restaurant we went to last night?"

:-P

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: October 21, 2016 01:55PM

Swampy
Jim Hyla
Swampy
Jim Hyla
Swampy
Trotsky

Mike Schafer

Trotsky
Amen, brother!

In Ned we trust.

Gee, thanks.

An elderly couple had dinner at another couple's house, and after eating, the wives left the table and went into the kitchen.

The two elderly gentlemen were talking, and one said, "Last night we went out to a new restaurant, and it was really great. I would recommend it very highly."

The first man knits his brow in obvious concentration, and finally said to his companion, "Aahh, What is the name of that red flower you give to someone you love?

He then turns toward the kitchen and yells, "Rose, what's the name of that restaurant we went to last night?"

Better set up for that joke is one old guy telling another about a great memory training lecture that he attended, which taught word association techniques. Asked the name of the lecturer, he then does the rose bit

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2016 04:26PM

nshapiro
Swampy
Jim Hyla
Swampy
Jim Hyla
Swampy
Trotsky

Mike Schafer

Trotsky
Amen, brother!

In Ned we trust.

Gee, thanks.

Better set up for that joke is one old guy telling another about a great memory training lecture that he attended, which taught word association techniques. Asked the name of the lecturer, he then does the rose bit

So, I make a "joke" about being old and you guys pile on. Oh well, at least I can say I saw our NCAA Championships, So, there.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2016 05:09PM

TimV
upprdeck

Which we couldn't score. As we couldn't in ten other games last year. You're not suggesting the offense is just fine, are you?

we didnt need to score the just not allow it. we had 2-3 games in a row we let in a goal in the last min and ended up losing in OT

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2016 06:55PM

@ the defense: IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!**]

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2020 10:16PM

So after missing the NCAAs four consecutive years, Cornell makes it four years in a row, likely including two one-seeds, and wins the Cleary Cup three times.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2020 10:17PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: February 29, 2020 10:18PM

BearLover
So after missing the NCAAs four consecutive years, Cornell makes it four years in a row, likely including two one-seeds, and wins the Cleary Cup three times.

Fire Schaeferrrr!

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 29, 2020 10:28PM

BearLover

First Cornell class to make the NCAA tournament all four years.

The only other streak of 4-straight was 67-70, when freshmen weren't eligible. Also the NCAA field was only 4 teams until 1981.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-138.myvzw.com)
Date: February 29, 2020 10:29PM

The ecac site seems to crap out at 2006-07, but our 38 points is the most a team has put up since then.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2020 10:31PM

Dafatone
The ecac site seems to crap out at 2006-07, but our 38 points is the most a team has put up since then.

[www.tbrw.info]

.864 percentage is this season (38 points in 22 games).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2020 10:33PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 29, 2020 10:34PM

Dafatone

I know Greg doesn't care if we appreciate his work, but while tbrw? is sometimes hard to dig through and frames are annoying, he's got all the data.

2005 Cornell had 38, 2003 Cornell got 39. That's it going back to 1990. And that's as far back as I'll go, for reasons.

Date: February 29, 2020 10:37PM

RichH
Dafatone

I know Greg doesn't care if we appreciate his work,

I care very much. Also, I'm sorry for the navigation issues and the antiquated design. 4 years until retirement. :-)

Date: February 29, 2020 10:40PM

Trotsky
RichH
Dafatone

I care very much. Also, I'm sorry for the navigation issues and the antiquated design. 4 years until retirement. :-)

Well, then I would like you to know that I appreciate it. Sometimes I just have to stare at the index a while, and sometimes I just wait for you to link to things I'm looking for (like "in the red" ), but I often head there first. CHN also has done a good job in recent years at cataloging historical data.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2020 10:42PM by RichH.

Date: February 29, 2020 10:44PM

RichH
Trotsky
RichH
Dafatone

Well, then I would like you to know that I appreciate it. Sometimes I just have to stare at the index a while, and sometimes I just wait for you to link to things I'm looking for (like "in the red" ), but I often head there first. CHN also has done a good job in recent years at cataloging historical data.

I have always needed a search box. I just don't know how to implement it myself yet and I refuse to use a COTS solution because of bullheadedness.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-202-25.myvzw.com)
Date: February 29, 2020 10:53PM

Trotsky
Dafatone

[www.tbrw.info]

.864 percentage is this season (38 points in 22 games).
Clarkson controlled their own destiny heading into the final weekend and ended up 5 points back. Final standings do not look close at all.

If I understand the tiebreakers, big congrats to RPI (more wins than Harvard) for getting a weekend off. What's the tiebreaker for Yale and Dartmouth, both at 10-10-2?

Date: February 29, 2020 10:55PM

ugarte
Trotsky
What's the tiebreaker for Yale and Dartmouth, both at 10-10-2?

1-1 H2H.

In games vs Top 4 it's Dartmouth 2-5-1 vs Yale 2-6. So Dartmouth wins the tie breaker because they beat us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login