Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Streaming of the ILDN

Posted by CU2007 
Streaming of the ILDN
Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: August 22, 2016 04:07PM

Will a Roku enable me to stream the ILDN games on my TV?

Re: Streaming of the ILDN
Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: August 23, 2016 04:41PM

i dont think they have roku support

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-140.myvzw.com)
Date: August 23, 2016 07:53PM

The best stream for me has been with my PC wired with CAT5 to my router and wired with HDMI into my TV or AV receiver.

I have done it all wirelessly with my Chromecast but have had less hiccups when wired up. ROKU allows developers to program solutions if anyone is interested but I'm pretty sure there isn't an easy way to any monetary returns with Chromecast available as competition.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2016 10:22PM by marty.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 23, 2016 10:15PM

I just installed an app on my Nexus7 tablet that allowed me to stream from ILDN to my ROKU. The app worked well for me with almost no setup on my ROKU3. It scanned for my Chromecast and Fire TV and worked on those too. I thought the ROKU video was clearer but when I attempted to check this I couldn't get the ROKU to play a second time.

The app is called "Web Video Browser|Browser to TV" from InstantBits Inc. There is a free version with ads and a pay version. I'll experiment more when I get a chance.

There are other similar apps including R-Cast which though I've tried in the past I have no opinion concerning how well it would work with ILDN.

I'm glad you asked the question, CU2007!
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2016 10:17PM by marty.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: August 24, 2016 01:29PM

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 24, 2016 01:47PM

banana

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2016 02:01PM

Cornell
Last season, there were nearly 30,000 views of Cornell athletic events on ILDN with more than 137 live home events.
If the 30,000 views pertain to the 137 home events then it's an average of 219 viewers per event.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: August 24, 2016 02:05PM

wow, great timing! Thanks for posting.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 24, 2016 07:39PM

Great news, thanks!

Date: August 25, 2016 11:29AM

Ye of incurable faith. Let's see it up and streaming before the banana sings. First Cornell ILDN match appears to be next Friday (9/2) soccer vs. Central Connecticut State: [www.cornellbigred.com] If it works, this is reason enough to get a Roku stick. The basic one is $49.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-141.myvzw.com)
Date: August 25, 2016 12:31PM

billhoward
Ye of incurable faith. Let's see it up and streaming before the banana sings. First Cornell ILDN match appears to be next Friday (9/2) soccer vs. Central Connecticut State: [www.cornellbigred.com] If it works, this is reason enough to get a Roku stick. The basic one is $49.

Yet it looks as if my not too dated ROKU3 and I can't go to the party. I will be waiting for the reviews.

Date: August 25, 2016 04:50PM

I just checked for the ILDN on my ROKU and was pleasantly surprised that it was available as I thought a ROKU3 would not be a fourth generation device (mentioned as necessary in the announcement).

Without a current subscription there is some limited content available. I selected the Cornell channel and watched "Cornell Football 2016 First Practice", though this content is not recommended for audiences with weak psyches. The video was fine. It was better than the same clip through my Chromecast as played on my tablet.

There is also an area labled "Around The(sic) Ivy League" which can be handy in a medical emergency. A selection titled "Harvard Freshman Seminars" is available which when watched is predicted to work as an emetic (should the need arise).

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2016 06:18PM

marty
I just checked for the ILDN on my ROKU and was pleasantly surprised that it was available as I thought a ROKU3 would not be a fourth generation device (mentioned as necessary in the announcement).

Yeah, I took the "4th generation" to be referring to AppleTV only and not Roku devices.

Date: August 25, 2016 06:27PM

RichH
marty

Yeah, I took the "4th generation" to be referring to AppleTV only and not Roku devices.

Right you are.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 26, 2016 07:53AM

The ILDN FAQ say it works with "most mobile browsers" on Android. Has anyone tried viewing the ILDN this way on an Amazon Fire TV (which runs a version of Android?

Date: August 26, 2016 08:44AM

Swampy
The ILDN FAQ say it works with "most mobile browsers" on Android. Has anyone tried viewing the ILDN this way on an Amazon Fire TV (which runs a version of Android?

That worked fine for me on my tablet with "Web Video Browser" by InstantBits. I watched the free Cornell football practice video through my Firestick.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2016 10:55AM by marty.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: August 29, 2016 04:38PM

marty
Swampy

That worked fine for me on my tablet with "Web Video Browser" by InstantBits. I watched the free Cornell football practice video through my Firestick.

You, sir, are a glutton for punishment. smashfreak

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 29, 2016 08:35PM

i have used it on my smart tv with the web browser, but such a pain to type in and move around the screen.. i wish it had a amazon app to install.

Date: September 27, 2016 05:26PM

More Roku choices announced.

Introducing
our new lineup.
There's a new Roku® streaming
player for everyone - from
incredibly affordable to fully loaded.
Pre-order yours today
Expected to ship by Oct 7, 2016
Five new Roku streaming players.
One that's just right for you and your TV.

Roku Express
$29.99
Fast 1080p HD streaming at a blockbuster price.
Learn more ›

Roku Express +
$39.99
Turn your older TV into a smart TV — works with either HDMI® or composite cables.
Learn more ›

Roku Premiere
$79.99
Powerful streaming. Stunning 4K resolution.*
Learn more ›

Roku Premiere +
$99.99
Powerful streaming. Stunning 4K and vibrant HDR color.* Point anywhere remote with headphone jack.
Learn more ›

Roku Ultra
$129.99
Stunning 4K and vibrant HDR color.* Advanced technology like quad-core processing, 802.11ac dual-band wireless, and a lost remote finder.
Learn more ›

Roku is the king of streaming...

- CNET, April 19, 2016
Even more reasons to love streaming on Roku players.
More to to watch than ever.
More to watch
than ever.
New mobile app features.
New features on the mobile app for iOS® and Android.TM
Fast and easy search.
Fast and
easy search.
Pre-order today
* 4K requires a compatible 4K TV and 4K content. HDR requires a compatible HDR TV and HDR content. Such content will not be available on all channels. Check with channel provider for bandwidth requirements to access its content.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2016 08:25AM

I'm sorry for the dumb question, but what do people use Roku for? I can stream on my computer, and if I want the larger screen I can directly cable to the TV.

Does this give higher resolution or extra features, like being able to dump the feed to TiVo and watch later?

I'm not being deliberately dense or, for once, Luddite. I just don't get what it's for.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 28, 2016 08:38AM

Trotsky
I'm sorry for the dumb question, but what do people use Roku for? I can stream on my computer, and if I want the larger screen I can directly cable to the TV.

Does this give higher resolution or extra features, like being able to dump the feed to TiVo and watch later?

I'm not being deliberately dense or, for once, Luddite. I just don't get what it's for.

So I find it annoying to hook my computer up to my tv, the way it's configured. I used to stream on my phone and shoot it to the tv via airplay and the quality was inconsistent. I don't know if it's just a year's improvement with ILDN, but I watched some of the Yale football game on Roku (which is connected via ethernet). The picture quality was pretty incredible and I had no issues with buffering or picture artifacts or changing bitrate. It was consistently great. For me to be able to grab the remote click a couple buttons, and start watching a Cornell hockey game is pretty amazing and I feel like we're finally made it to Bill Howard's dream world.

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2016 08:43AM

Trotsky

I have an AppleTV, but the same applies. There's a couple of advantages that depend on your situation. I have neither a SmartTV (with built in apps) or cable, so if I want to watch something, the standalone Netflix app or whatever is very convenient. To your point, generally, all of the apps and capabilities of these boxes could be replicated by directly putting a cable from your computer to the TV, but then you're limited in other ways, such as the computer's ability to be running several things simultaneously, physical reach of the cable, etc. My laptop from 2009 probably wouldn't be too pleased if I was trying to surf the internet while simultaneously streaming an MLB game in the background and outputting it to my TV. Given that the boxes are usually fairly cheap, you're just paying for the convenience.

Date: September 28, 2016 09:44AM

semsox
Trotsky

I have an AppleTV, but the same applies. There's a couple of advantages that depend on your situation. I have neither a SmartTV (with built in apps) or cable, so if I want to watch something, the standalone Netflix app or whatever is very convenient. To your point, generally, all of the apps and capabilities of these boxes could be replicated by directly putting a cable from your computer to the TV, but then you're limited in other ways, such as the computer's ability to be running several things simultaneously, physical reach of the cable, etc. My laptop from 2009 probably wouldn't be too pleased if I was trying to surf the internet while simultaneously streaming an MLB game in the background and outputting it to my TV. Given that the boxes are usually fairly cheap, you're just paying for the convenience.

I agree. I like sitting on my butt with the remote. ROKU has a nice variety of channels and there are so called private channels that are easy to install and sometimes downright fun. YouTube was available through one of these before ROKU released their YouTube channel. The content available through some of these channels might come with a dose of malware if accessed on your PC's web browser.

I also bought a Firestick for $20 on the day they were announced. I wasn't sure why I wanted it but it has become my KODI device of choice when I'm being a bad boy. Both work through a Denon receiver. (I rarely use our Chromecast device but my son used it to stream when home a month ago.)

In addition to hooking up the HDMI cable when streaming ILDN on my laptop I have to plug in the power cord. Last season I usually didn't get to that until sometime in the second or third period often missing a chunk of the game. I guess I'm getting very old and cranky. Ask my daughter.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2016 09:47AM by marty.

Date: September 28, 2016 12:02PM

pfibiger
I don't know if it's just a year's improvement with ILDN, but I watched some of the Yale football game on Roku (which is connected via ethernet). The picture quality was pretty incredible and I had no issues with buffering or picture artifacts or changing bitrate. It was consistently great.

Same here on my computer. I hope the improved picture quality translates to the Perpetual Twilight inside Lynah.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: September 28, 2016 12:56PM

Trotsky

Convenience. You can, of course, hook your laptop up to the TV, but that generally precludes you from using it at the same time, and also increases the work to view versus just slamming your ass on the couch, turning the TV on, and picking up the Roku remote (or Apple TV remote, or phone in case of Chromecast).

The Apple TV is also useful for casting content from your Mac laptop that you can't get natively on a Roku or Apple TV: just connect your laptop to the Apple TV via airplay, and it becomes another display into which you can drag a web browser, all without a cord connected to your laptop. This is how I watched the games on my TV last year. The video quality isn't as smooth, but given ILDN's overall quality*, it wasn't really a problem.

*Much better than pre-ILDN Redcast, but still lagging the state of the art for internet video streaming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2016 12:57PM by Kyle Rose.

Posted by: Chris H82 (130.76.24.---)
Date: September 28, 2016 03:06PM

As Marty and Kyle noted, it's super convenient for seeing (or hearing) a variety of content. Beyond channels like ILDN, MLB, Netflix, Hulu, there is a broad range of ways to easily put on-line content to your entertainment system. The YouTube channel will interact with your phone (makes it easy to quickly see a link on the big screen). I use the TuneIn radio channel to connect to WHCU and listen to Cornell hockey when there is no ILDN broadcast (or I've been to cheap to renew my subscription - I know, sacrilege!)

Chris H

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: September 29, 2016 03:58PM

one big convenience is not having to worry about clicking a link that i didnt want and having something installed by mistake.. The other thing is being easily able to move from 1 tv to another without lugging laptop around the house or outside

Date: September 29, 2016 07:57PM

Cornell these days is really up on the cyber.

Date: September 30, 2016 09:52PM

Thanks to all who responded about Roku.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2016 11:47AM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky

Convenience. You can, of course, hook your laptop up to the TV, but that generally precludes you from using it at the same time, and also increases the work to view versus just slamming your ass on the couch, turning the TV on, and picking up the Roku remote (or Apple TV remote, or phone in case of Chromecast).

The Apple TV is also useful for casting content from your Mac laptop that you can't get natively on a Roku or Apple TV: just connect your laptop to the Apple TV via airplay, and it becomes another display into which you can drag a web browser, all without a cord connected to your laptop. This is how I watched the games on my TV last year. The video quality isn't as smooth, but given ILDN's overall quality*, it wasn't really a problem.

*Much better than pre-ILDN Redcast, but still lagging the state of the art for internet video streaming.

A ROKU box in the video cabinet also produces less of a target for rampaging 3-year-olds than a laptop tethered to the TV. We started with a ROKU stick which plugs right into the HDMI port, but that is also somewhat vulnerable, as we unfortunately learned.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-146.myvzw.com)
Date: October 05, 2016 12:44PM

jtwcornell91
Kyle Rose
Trotsky

A ROKU box in the video cabinet also produces less of a target for rampaging 3-year-olds than a laptop tethered to the TV. We started with a ROKU stick which plugs right into the HDMI port, but that is also somewhat vulnerable, as we unfortunately learned.

Class of '35. If that good with a stick at age 3, sign em up!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login