Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Upcoming Season

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Upcoming Season
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 18, 2016 01:06PM

Here's the Sun's take on the schedule.

Re: Upcoming Season
Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: July 19, 2016 12:30PM

When we were visiting college campuses with my kids, we always picked up the campus paper to check out the quality of the writing. I don't know if my son would be at Cornell now if this article is a representative sample. Hopefully it is just the sports section that is illiterate. I might blame the editor, but there is little evidence that there was an editor.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 19, 2016 01:51PM

nshapiro
When we were visiting college campuses with my kids, we always picked up the campus paper to check out the quality of the writing. I don't know if my son would be at Cornell now if this article is a representative sample. Hopefully it is just the sports section that is illiterate. I might blame the editor, but there is little evidence that there was an editor.

It's been bad for years. It's really just very clear that the writers, try as they might, simply aren't familiar with hockey terminology nor the ins-and-outs of the game. Goalies "blocking" shots, forwards "hitting" the puck into the net. I'm sure they're doing their best with whats available at the sun, but its verylikely they don't have a big hockey fan on staff - at least not every year.

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-70-192-67.myvzw.com)
Date: July 20, 2016 01:42PM

There have also been some superb in-depth stories by The Sun including this spring the piece on the selection of the new basketball coach. How Cornell Basketball Hired Brian Earl

Now that The sun is three-times-a-week in print, we can hope there'll be more real time sports coverage, in particular the game story posting an hour or two after the game rather than waiting until the print edition comes out.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: July 20, 2016 02:13PM

CU2007
nshapiro

It's been bad for years. It's really just very clear that the writers, try as they might, simply aren't familiar with hockey terminology nor the ins-and-outs of the game. Goalies "blocking" shots, forwards "hitting" the puck into the net. I'm sure they're doing their best with whats available at the sun, but its verylikely they don't have a big hockey fan on staff - at least not every year.

The Sun that I remember (04-07) is better than the newspaper at the school I'm at now, which is the flagship state university of a very, very sparsely populated state.

It's worse than the newspaper at Colorado University, but I don't think that one is anywhere near student-run.

Given that the Sun has very little non-student involvement (I think), it's not a bad product. Or it wasn't a decade ago.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2016 10:59AM

The only non-student involvement at The Sun are the front office staff who take care of routine stuff like sending invoices for advertising, the people who layout/format the paper to be printed, and the five "adults" who comprise half the board of directors. Since the board provides institutional memory as well as oversight of the corporation, it makes sense to involve people who won't disappear after 4 years. And the Board does not interfere in editorial decisions. Although as an individual board member, I expressed my disgust whenever the Business Manager convinced the other student editors/managers to run full-pages ads on the back page rather than sports.

Date: July 21, 2016 11:38AM

Since there are now articles that are never in print editions, are they not subject to typical proofreading one would expect?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2016 09:57AM

TBRW Predictions. We report, you decide.

Bottom line:
 1.	Quinnipiac
 2.	Yale
 3.	Harvard
 4.	Clarkson
 5.	St. Lawrence
 6.	Dartmouth
 7.	Union
 8.	Cornell
 9.	RPI
10.	Colgate
11.	Brown
12.	Princeton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2016 10:17AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2016 01:29PM

Looks like we get another trip to beautiful Hamden for the ECAC playoffs!

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2016 02:39PM

Do you have data on how well your predict method has matched the real results? Data based on your current incarnation of the prediction method would be best, as opposed to what you were using in any particular year (which means I can't just data mine your posts and do it myself :-)).

Date: July 24, 2016 09:28AM

KeithK
Do you have data on how well your predict method has matched the real results? Data based on your current incarnation of the prediction method would be best, as opposed to what you were using in any particular year (which means I can't just data mine your posts and do it myself :-)).

Here's what you didn't ask for.

For what you did ask for, I'll do that eventually (unless you want to ;) ). An advantage of the latest system is it's a lot easier than the old incarnations.

I agree the apples to apples is to use the same algorithm for all the data.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2016 09:29AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2016 03:25PM

Trotsky
TBRW Predictions. We report, you decide.

Bottom line:
 1.	Quinnipiac
 2.	Yale
 3.	Harvard
 4.	Clarkson
 5.	St. Lawrence
 6.	Dartmouth
 7.	Union
 8.	Cornell
 9.	RPI
10.	Colgate
11.	Brown
12.	Princeton

Given that your 3 of your predicted top 4 lost a significant amount of goaltending to graduation and early departure, one hopes that the performance of those teams and, thus, your predictor will encourage you to add goaltending back in for future years…

Date: July 31, 2016 11:56PM

Scersk '97
Given that your 3 of your predicted top 4 lost a significant amount of goaltending to graduation and early departure, one hopes that the performance of those teams and, thus, your predictor will encourage you to add goaltending back in for future years…

I've got a few months til the pucks drops. One day I may be idle enough to run the numbers according to the 2015 formula.

Date: August 06, 2016 07:49AM

Nine Current Men's Hockey Players Attend NHL Prospect Camps. The news here is that they had 4 free agents go to camps (Including Kubiak going to 2 different team camps), in addition to the drafted players.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2016 08:32PM

Weidner New Men's Hockey Captain; Kubiak, McCarron Alternates

Men's Hockey Season Tickets On Sale Now

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2016 08:02AM

Watching the mailbox with bated breath.

banana

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2016 11:20AM

Cornell press release
All season tickets include an exclusive Cornell winter scarf and complimentary season tickets to Cornell football and men's lacrosse games.
Still blows me away: no more standing in line (on line for New Yorkers) for hockey tickets. Buy hockey tickets, you get free tickets for Cornell football. Imagine Cornell hires as assistant sports information director from, say, Ohio State and asks him/her to be one last set of eyes on the release checking for anything that's misspelled (Pokuluk?) or obviously wrong. What a unique institution Cornell is.

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2016 02:20PM

Johnny 5

banana

Hopeful that your breath is not Abated.scared

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2016 02:25PM

Cornell press release
All season tickets include an exclusive Cornell winter scarf and complimentary season tickets to Cornell football and men's lacrosse games.

WHAT??? Those are perfectly good lacrosse tickets. The HOCKEY tickets should be the throw-ins. We score actual goals in lacrosse.doh

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 10, 2016 05:16PM

TimV
Cornell press release

WHAT??? Those are perfectly good lacrosse tickets. The HOCKEY tickets should be the throw-ins. We score actual goals in lacrosse.doh
Your outrage is misplaced. The real outrage is hockey fans being forced to receive tickets for Cornell football. I guess they can't make you show up...

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2016 09:06PM

KeithK
TimV
Cornell press release

Your outrage is misplaced. The real outrage is hockey fans being forced to receive tickets for Cornell football. I guess they can't make you show up...

I think people will catch on when the attendance of every football game is 4267.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 11, 2016 07:22PM

semsox
KeithK
TimV
Cornell press release

I think people will catch on when the attendance of every football game is 4267.

Nice...+1

Date: September 12, 2016 08:50AM

TimV
Johnny 5

banana

Hopeful that your breath is not Abated.scared

What should I say to you? Should I not say
'Hath a dog money? is it possible
A cur can lend three thousand ducats?' Or
Shall I bend low and in a bondman's key,
With bated breath and whispering humbleness, Say this;
'Fair sir, you spit on me on Wednesday last;
You spurn'd me such a day; another time
You call'd me dog; and for these courtesies
I'll lend you thus much moneys'?

~Merchant of Venice, W. Shakespeare, 1596

Not abated yet! whistle

Date: September 12, 2016 12:35PM

For the current student body, they shouldn't deliver the hockey tickets until proof of attendance at first few home football games.

Mandatory school spirit!cheer

Date: September 12, 2016 02:49PM

nshapiro
For the current student body, they shouldn't deliver the hockey tickets until proof of attendance at first few home football games.

Um, we do want people to go to Lynah, right? :-)

Date: September 16, 2016 12:09PM

KeithK
nshapiro

A fair point. I still have the mindset that students would jump through all sorts of unreasonable hoops to obtain season tickets.

If Cornell had a system of acquiring points by attending other sporting events in order to obtain hockey tickets (sounds like pep band!) that would have been incentive when I was an undergrad, not the deterrent it probably would be today.

Date: September 16, 2016 01:56PM

nshapiro
KeithK
nshapiro

A fair point. I still have the mindset that students would jump through all sorts of unreasonable hoops to obtain season tickets.
Unreasonable hoops? Absolutely. But lets not venture into torture. :-P

nshapiro
If Cornell had a system of acquiring points by attending other sporting events in order to obtain hockey tickets (sounds like pep band!) that would have been incentive when I was an undergrad, not the deterrent it probably would be today.
In principle I think this is a good idea. Even, all jokes aside, including football. But my take on the current generation of students (possibly unfair, certainly not well informed) is that many or most would simply blow off all sporting events rather than put up with the requirements.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: September 16, 2016 04:06PM

KeithK
In principle I think this is a good idea. Even, all jokes aside, including football. But my take on the current generation of students (possibly unfair, certainly not well informed) is that many or most would simply blow off all sporting events rather than put up with the requirements.
Could be a good opportunity for some troll-cheering. If they make you go, you might as well have fun with it.

Date: September 16, 2016 05:33PM

Kyle Rose
Could be a good opportunity for some troll-cheering. If they make you go, you might as well have fun with it.

It's not the athletes' fault that Cornell athletics sucks so please don't cleverly (a.k.a. not at all cleverly) slag them.

OTOH, if you want to burn the administration in effigy, go to it. They've been cluelessly slurping the balls of their Upper Class Twits of the Year donors for decades while our real mission burns.

Date: September 16, 2016 08:01PM

Trotsky
It's not the athletes' fault that Cornell athletics sucks so please don't cleverly (a.k.a. not at all cleverly) slag them.
Aren't the athletes (at least partially) to blame by definition? If they would just play better the teams wouldn't suck so much.

Date: September 17, 2016 07:28AM

KeithK
Trotsky
Aren't the athletes (at least partially) to blame by definition? If they would just play better the teams wouldn't suck so much.

Maybe, considering their abilities and coaching, they're playing as well as they can. Maybe we just need better athletes and coaches.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: September 17, 2016 04:53PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose

Who, really, would be to blame in that scenario? The collateral damage is unfortunate, but acceptable since it doesn't involve actually harming anyone.

That said, regardless of how low my opinion of the Cornell administration is, I doubt they would actually do something this awful so it's probably pointless to argue over.

OTOH, if you want to burn the administration in effigy, go to it.
Like that would move them one iota. You get them to change their minds by giving them the exact opposite of what they aim for.

Date: September 29, 2016 07:51PM

cheer

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2016 08:36PM

RPI blog Without a Peer's yearly post about Cornell [www.withoutapeer.com].

Disclaimer. I have no connection with WaP except as a reader.

Date: September 30, 2016 09:52PM

ursusminor
Disclaimer. I have no connection with WaP except as a reader.
Nothing to argue about in that article. Seems fair.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 01, 2016 10:47PM

Johnny 5

cheer

+1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login