Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Any Questions for Schafer?

Posted by nshapiro 
Any Questions for Schafer?
Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: June 08, 2016 09:42AM

Mike Schafer will be the speaker at one of the class of '86 reunion breakfasts this weekend. Anyone have any questions for him?

Re: Any Questions for Schafer?
Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2016 11:32AM

When will be hear about recruits coming in the fall?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 08, 2016 02:21PM

I suspect that asking probing questions about the hockey team would be inappropriate at a reunion breakfast. But if not, I'd ask something along the lines of "what changes are planned to try to improve scoring for next season?"

Posted by: css228 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2016 03:17AM

What is you opinion on advanced stats like Fenwick, Corsi, and neutral zone score? Does Cornell track them?

Posted by: css228 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2016 03:17AM

Also will you resign, please?

Date: June 09, 2016 12:25PM

css228
I'm picturing you showing up at the reunion breakfast and starting a "Schafer must go!" chant as he stands up to speak. :-D

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 09, 2016 03:58PM

"Are you doing this for free?"

I thought his contract was up and I haven't seen anything about him signing an extension. Is he just doing this for fun, now? ;-)

Date: June 09, 2016 04:00PM

KeithK
css228
I'm picturing you showing up at the reunion breakfast and starting a "Schafer must go!" chant as he stands up to speak. :-D

"Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni dinner?"

Just stand over by the little waffle-making thingie at the buffet while you're protesting...

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2016 10:18AM

So what did Mike say at the breakfast?

Date: June 13, 2016 04:46PM

Mike was very entertaining. He said that recruiting is more of a challenge than ever, and that he has success when the kids are from a family that says 'get an Ivy League education' and the recruit visits the Ivy schools and sees what it means to play in front of the Lynah Faithful.

He also joked around about the good old days when he was a player, and said that he wants the players to do what he says to do, not to do what he did.

He did lament the fact that the players finish the game and head straight for the smartphone to get feedback from their 'family advisors', rather than think about how they played and do some self analysis.

He also said that Quinnipiac isn't going anywhere because they like being associated with the Ivy league and the other quality educational institutions in the ECACHL.

Date: June 13, 2016 06:10PM

Thanks for the report!

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2016 08:04PM

nshapiro
Mike was very entertaining. He said that recruiting is more of a challenge than ever, and that he has success when the kids are from a family that says 'get an Ivy League education' and the recruit visits the Ivy schools and sees what it means to play in front of the Lynah Faithful.

He also joked around about the good old days when he was a player, and said that he wants the players to do what he says to do, not to do what he did.

He did lament the fact that the players finish the game and head straight for the smartphone to get feedback from their 'family advisors', rather than think about how they played and do some self analysis.

He also said that Quinnipiac isn't going anywhere because they like being associated with the Ivy league and the other quality educational institutions in the ECACHL.

What about resigning in shame and leaving town with his tail between his legs in deference to fan rants? Did he say anything about resigning in shame and leaving town with his tail between his legs in deference to fan rants?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: June 13, 2016 08:54PM

Was there any Q&A or was it just him speaking to the assembled 86'ers? Given the setting I kind of assumed it would be the latter.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2016 10:59AM

Beeeej
nshapiro

What about resigning in shame and leaving town with his tail between his legs in deference to fan rants? Did he say anything about resigning in shame and leaving town with his tail between his legs in deference to fan rants?

Well perhaps if the person advocating him resigning in shame and leaving town with his tail between his legs in deference to fan rants had been in attendance he could have voiced his demand for resigning in shame and leaving town with his tail between his legs in deference to fan rants.

This is why there are participation trophies. Look what happens when people don't participate.

Date: June 15, 2016 12:42PM

KeithK
Was there any Q&A or was it just him speaking to the assembled 86'ers? Given the setting I kind of assumed it would be the latter.

There was plenty of Q&A. Remember, this was not just a random group of Cornellians, these were his classmates. Duanne Moeser was also there, and the funniest comment by the classmate introducing Schafer was something like - If Schafer didn't agree to speak, then we would get Moeser to speak and tell the stories that Schafer didn't want told.

Date: June 16, 2016 10:30AM

I thought Moeser lived in Switzerland?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2016 10:42AM

Trotsky
I thought Moeser lived in Switzerland?

It was his Reunion. The Swiss don't have planes?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jek86 (38.119.57.---)
Date: June 16, 2016 04:30PM

nshapiro
KeithK

There was plenty of Q&A. Remember, this was not just a random group of Cornellians, these were his classmates. Duanne Moeser was also there, and the funniest comment by the classmate introducing Schafer was something like - If Schafer didn't agree to speak, then we would get Moeser to speak and tell the stories that Schafer didn't want told.

Mike Manaster introduced. He was in Schafer's "hockey class" but I believe only played JV. Duanne Moeser has lived in Germany for over 25 years, first as a player and now manages a team. He said he comes back every few years for hockey alumni events and this was a good chance to catch reunion too. They did get off the story of driving a car down libe slope. Both Mike and Duanne claimed to be only passengers. While driver was booked by Cornell police in Barton Hall Duanne claimed to have stolen the christmas lights off the tree.

Posted by: billhoward (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 17, 2016 10:02AM

Whereas as Reunion you can drive up and down libe slope and nothing happens to you. That was about the first thing I captured when I got my first GoPro.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 17, 2016 12:30PM

billhoward
Whereas as Reunion you can drive up and down libe slope and nothing happens to you. That was about the first thing I captured when I got my first GoPro.

If Cornell has convinced you to leave them something in your will they might even encourage the practice.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2016 11:14AM

nshapiro

You left out one of the most significant things Schafer said.

When asked how long he planned to stay at Cornell, he said something about one of his kids entering college, so "at least four more years.", or something to that effect.

The Quinnipiac comment was in response to my question, which was, "With Notre Dame leaving Hockey East do you think Quinnipiac may leave the ECAC for Hockey East, and if so, who would you like to see replace them?" I was mostly interested in the second part of the question, and surprised that Schafer is so certain Quinnipiac won't leave.

Date: June 20, 2016 08:27AM

andyw2100
When asked how long he planned to stay at Cornell, he said something about one of his kids entering college, so "at least four more years.", or something to that effect.

eLynah has been put on suicide watch. deadhorse

Interesting that despite recruits stretching through the 2018 incoming class we have no goaltender in the pipeline.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 08:29AM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login