Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA tournament 2016

Posted by billhoward 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: NCAA tournament 2016
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2016 05:17PM

RichH
abmarks
Trotsky
Watching the game streamed with all the ambient noise and no commentary is the most pleasant broadcast I've ever experienced. PLEASE make this an option for all sports telecasts. Nobody needs the natterers. Silence them for good.

especially if it is buccigross. he's even worse at hockey play-by-play than the kids on the Yale feed. Can't believe he gets paid to do that.

Well, you know. He's the goddamned pope of #collegehockey. He has a clothing line. People on Twitter think he's great.

I read somewhere that when he negotiated is latest contract with ESPN, that was the only stipulation he had in there: doing the TV for the Frozen Four. Not sure how much longer the contract has on it.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2016 09:18AM

imafrshmn
That said, "Quinnipiac University" is also a problematic indian appropriation in my eyes. Anyway, I enjoyed the hockey game and liked watching UND's talent shine.

I guess we'll have to rename the river, many other geological features, and much of everything in upstate New York.

Is it better to erase history or to come to grips with it in all its complexity?
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2016 09:20AM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2016 10:06AM

Scersk '97
imafrshmn
That said, "Quinnipiac University" is also a problematic indian appropriation in my eyes. Anyway, I enjoyed the hockey game and liked watching UND's talent shine.
I guess we'll have to rename the river, many other geological features, and much of everything in upstate New York. Is it better to erase history or to come to grips with it in all its complexity?
Or dig deeper to understand the context and perhaps find that one use of an Indian name honors the heritage and another is a stereotype? Reading only a little about Ralph Englestadt makes him (and his causes) a figure you don't sympathize with.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 11, 2016 11:20AM

There is a perfectly good American solution to this problem. Just pay the tribe off.

Date: April 11, 2016 11:43AM

Trotsky
There is a perfectly good American solution to this problem. Just pay the tribe off.
Wall Street Journal story from the 1980s/1990s talked about how more people were self-identifying as Native American. The story lead was ~ "More people are identifying themselves as Indian now because it's a better deal being Indian."

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: April 11, 2016 12:32PM

Trotsky

One thing to keep in mind is that "Sioux" is, from what I understand, an iffy term that not many Native Americans seem to like. It throws a handful of different groups under one umbrella. While some of those groups have Sioux in their name, others do not.

For some groups, "pay the tribe off" or "get the tribe's approval" seems to work (I think the Florida State Seminoles falls under this). It's trickier for Sioux.

The current North Dakota state highway symbol is a silhouette of a native guy in a headdress: [www.usa-traffic-signs.com]. The headdress is a big deal, being a very important/sacred kind of thing. Throwing it on highway signs is, for lack of a better word, lame.

Add in the whole Ralph Engelstad threw birthday parties for Hitler, and I'm pretty happy to oppose anything he wanted.

Also, North Dakota sucks.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2016 01:13PM

billhoward
Scersk '97
imafrshmn
I guess we'll have to rename the river, many other geological features, and much of everything in upstate New York. Is it better to erase history or to come to grips with it in all its complexity?
Or dig deeper to understand the context and perhaps find that one use of an Indian name honors the heritage and another is a stereotype? Reading only a little about Ralph Englestadt makes him (and his causes) a figure you don't sympathize with.

+1

The Native Americans around me have never been bothered by having us name the Finger Lakes after their tribes. They consider Onondaga Lake sacred and have worked hard to get it's pollution under control. No, they do want respect and not to be made into characters.

Date: April 11, 2016 01:47PM

Jim Hyla
billhoward
Scersk '97
imafrshmn

+1

The Native Americans around me have never been bothered by having us name the Finger Lakes after their tribes. They consider Onondaga Lake sacred and have worked hard to get it's pollution under control. No, they do want respect and not to be made into characters.

Meanwhile, in South Dakota, the local sacred lands have presidents' faces carved into them.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2016 01:47PM by Dafatone.

Date: April 11, 2016 01:56PM

Dafatone
How does one work up feelings about a flyover state?

Anyway, better them than the Finger Lakes (sacred lake names and all) as the source of fracked oil products.

Date: April 11, 2016 08:21PM

billhoward
Dafatone

Anyway, better them than the Finger Lakes (sacred lake names and all) as the source of fracked oil products.

Live in a neighboring flyover state (in my case, South Dakota).

Date: April 11, 2016 09:59PM

Dafatone
billhoward
Dafatone
Live in a neighboring flyover state (in my case, South Dakota).
That's different. South Dakota hashad Gateway Computer.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2016 09:52AM

Jim Hyla
billhoward
Scersk '97
imafrshmn

+1

Oh, I wasn't defending the Sioux; rather paradoxically, if you know me well, I was defending Quinnipiac.

After jettisoning "the Braves," there's really nothing about Quinnipiac's tribal name appropriation—other than the act of appropriation in the first place—that strikes me as disrespectful. Going back to the "University's" founding, it was located briefly in New Haven. Given that there was already a "New Haven YMCA Junior College," now the University of New Haven, which became "New Haven College" in 1926, the "Connecticut College of Commerce" (1929) needed to associate itself with a different geological feature / local name association when its administration sought to change its "target market" in 1951.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 11:13AM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: April 12, 2016 11:07AM

Dafatone

One thing to keep in mind is that "Sioux" is, from what I understand, an iffy term that not many Native Americans seem to like. It throws a handful of different groups under one umbrella. While some of those groups have Sioux in their name, others do not.

Like Iroquois? For the record, I have no idea if that is similar or if Native Americans "like" that name, or if it has similar connotations to the "Sioux" umbrella you describe. I'm just trying to spell out that it sounds similar to the "Six Nations" of the Iroquois confederacy that I learned growing up in the Finger Lakes region.

The current North Dakota state highway symbol is a silhouette of a native guy in a headdress: [www.usa-traffic-signs.com]. The headdress is a big deal, being a very important/sacred kind of thing. Throwing it on highway signs is, for lack of a better word, lame.

Again, just a bell rung from something from my home. There's less of an obvious "headdress," but it is putting a Native American on a highway sign.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: April 12, 2016 11:37AM

To wrap up my trip, having the Frozen Four in Tampa twice in a 5-year period was a little much. The 2012 Frozen Four was a well-managed machine and a great success considering the location, and this time around, some spots started to show, if you ask me.

First, there was a clear drop-off of the usual school diversity, as I feel a lot of the "regulars" just didn't want to travel all that way again for a non-traditional destination location so soon. The tournament and organizers were lucky that North Dakota grabbed the ring this year. From my perch in the Club Level, I counted around 14 sections in the lower bowl where the primary color was Green. North Dakota fans also snapped up an awful lot of the luxury boxes. I'd say this was the biggest North Dakota turn out I have ever seen, and that is saying something. At the semifinals, they were still advertising that tickets were still available for Saturday night via the public address system.

They tried separate tickets for each of the Semifinals. This meant that at the end of the 1st semifinal, EVERYBODY had to exit the arena. While annoying, it worked out better than I thought, considering there's a large plaza at the main exit where they staged the FanFest with bands and there were vendors selling tall-boy cans of beer. They also moved the metal-detectors out to the perimeter of the plaza, so you wouldn't have to get frisked/wanded again unless you left the plaza/parking garage area. I decided to wander over to the group of tourist bars a few blocks away, which not a whole lot of other people did, except for the people who are enthusiastic fans of "Hooters." Very disappointing compared to the options they had in 2012.

One thing they could do because of the separate admission was only designate two of the four corners of the lower bowl as participant school seating and sell more of those premium seats. So the tickets that Denver got for their semi were the same seats that Quinnipiac received. The main corner for NoDak was were BC had been sitting. And the bands were at the top of those sections in the lower bowl instead of thrown up in nose-bleed land. This meant the bands didn't even need to be mic'ed, which was nice. And the noticable empty sections were way at the top of the upper deck, instead of center ice. Fans were able to buy good seats, instead of reserving them for sponsors "Corporate Champions" who wouldn't show up.

Otherwise, the fan experience wasn't great. Long lines at the few souvenir tables, and the food was as expensive as I had seen. They didn't get their shipment of souvenir pucks on Thursday, and by the time I got into the arena on Saturday (15 minutes before anthems), all the tables had sold out of pucks. Oh, and I got harassed by some young jerk usher who condescendingly smiled as he threatened to throw me out for trying to go to the bathroom in a different section of my level. I still don't know what I did wrong.

I ran into Mr. & Mrs. Hilbrich, still wearing their half/half CU/QU jerseys. And I met an old-timer wearing a Keith Peach jersey out on the plaza. Barry Melrose was on my Southwest flight back to Connecticut, but I didn't punch him in the mullet for any of you. He was quieter than the over-confident QU homers who were woofing on my flight there.

If I didn't have snowbirding family to visit, I would have been fine skipping it. Hopefully it will be another 20 years before Tampa gets it again. I'm excited about Chicago.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 11:49AM by RichH.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2016 12:23PM

RichH
If I didn't have snowbirding family to visit, I would have been fine skipping it. Hopefully it will be another 20 years before Tampa gets it again. I'm excited about Chicago.

I was disappointed to have to miss it, not just because I didn't make it to Tampa for 2012, but also because I/we haven't attended a Frozen Four since the ridiculously tortured Vegas/Pittsburgh/West Palm Beach/Orlando route we took in order to be there amidst other commitments in 2013. I'm excited about Chicago in 2017 and St. Paul in 2018; the food, beer, and friends situations should all be great.

Isn't it about the time they should be picking sites for 2019-21, by the way?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: April 12, 2016 12:58PM

Nice report!

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login