Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA tournament 2016

Posted by billhoward 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
NCAA tournament 2016
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 06:56PM

First games of the tournament, two of the four No. 1 seeds are gone:

Providence (the 4th 1-seed) goes down 2-1 to Minnesota-Duluth. As long as Providence was in the tournament, Cornell could point to a victory over a really good team back at holiday week.

St Cloud State (2nd 1-seed) makes up a 4-2 deficit to Ferris State entering the third, ties at 4, loses 18 seconds into OT. See ya. That has to be brutal on the team and fans.

UMass-Lowell wins 3-2 over Yale a minute into OT off a good forecheck. So much for the Ivies in the NCAAs in 2015-16. UM-L plays Quinnipiac Sunday.

Good thing RIT got all the ink on being up-and-coming and in a nice new rink before the first faceoff. Lost 4-0 to overall 1-seed Quinnipiac. Q gets Yale or UMass-Lowell tomorrow.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2016 10:24PM by billhoward.

Re: NCAA tournament 2016
Posted by: css228 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 07:34PM

billhoward
First games of the tournament, two of the four No. 1 seeds are gone:

Providence (the 4th 1-seed) goes down 2-1 to Minnesota-Duluth. As long as Providence was in the tournament, Cornell could point to a victory over a really good team back at holiday week.

St Cloud State (2nd 1-seed) makes up a 4-2 deficit to Ferris State entering the third, ties at 4, loses 18 seconds into OT. See ya. That has to be brutal on the team and fans.

Good thing RIT got all the ink on being up-and-coming and in a nice new rink before the first faceoff. Lost 4-0 to overall 1-seed Quinnipiac. Q gets Yale or UMass-Lowell tomorrow.

Watching North Dakota right now and they look pretty incredible. They're making Michigan look completely incompetent at getting the puck out of their own end

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 07:45PM

css228
Watching North Dakota right now and they look pretty incredible. They're making Michigan look completely incompetent at getting the puck out of their own end
Did the same to what had been a red-hot Northeastern team.

Date: March 26, 2016 08:04PM

Al DeFlorio
css228
Did the same to what had been a red-hot Northeastern team.
God I wish I could watch a system like this employed at Lynah. It looks like they just decided to keep most of the Hakstol system in place.

Date: March 26, 2016 08:15PM

Took until the fourth round of NCAA basketball for a one-seed to fall (Oregon by 12 to Oklahoma).

Back in hockeyland, Denver is whomping BU - 5-0 with 2 minutes left in the second. Ouch. Jack Eichel era for sure is over.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 08:39PM

Well, that's it for Michigan. Story of the game is NoDak outshooting the highly-touted Michigan offense by nearly 2-to-1.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2016 08:55PM

Yale just took a 2-1 lead halfway through the 2nd on a beautiful goal

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 09:21PM

Really pathetic crowd at the Times-Union (granted, this is intermission. but still not much during play.)

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-142.myvzw.com)
Date: March 26, 2016 09:27PM

imafrshmn
Really pathetic crowd at the Times-Union (granted, this is intermission. but still not much during play.)

QPAC and RIT traveled well. Attendance was much better for their game. Not many RIP or Onion fans evident. An old story.

Here's the Q section now that they've left.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2016 12:09AM by marty.

Date: March 26, 2016 09:35PM

marty
imafrshmn
QPAC and RIT traveled well. Attendance was much better for their game. Not many RIP or Onion fans evident. An old story.
Curious if either school subsidized buses to the game. Given what it costs to mount a serious hockey effort, five or ten buses is a cheap cost adder.

Six/seven years ago, Marist women made it into the basketball big dance and the school chartered a plane to the round one game. Student cost was something on the order of $50. Or so the tour guides related the following fall. That caused a murmur of approval among sports fan would-be matriculants. IIRC, it was offset by hearing the school has zero tolerance for alcohol in the dorms.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 10:00PM

scoop85
2-2 in the third

Date: March 26, 2016 10:01PM

Al DeFlorio
scoop85
2-2 in the third
And now to overtime at 2-2.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 10:05PM

billhoward
marty
imafrshmn
Curious if either school subsidized buses to the game. Given what it costs to mount a serious hockey effort, five or ten buses is a cheap cost adder.

Six/seven years ago, Marist women made it into the basketball big dance and the school chartered a plane to the round one game. Student cost was something on the order of $50. Or so the tour guides related the following fall. That caused a murmur of approval among sports fan would-be matriculants. IIRC, it was offset by hearing the school has zero tolerance for alcohol in the dorms.
IIRC Q had busses for fans to prior NC$$ games.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2016 10:16PM

Trotsky
billhoward
marty
imafrshmn

IIRC Q had busses for fans to prior NC$$ games.

I'm fairly certain that in 2010 when we were in Albany with RIT for the first round of the NCAAs, there was talk of how RIT had brought a bunch of students on (free?) busses.

Date: March 26, 2016 10:23PM

Yale had four chances to clear the puck on Lowell's OT winner. Blech.

Date: March 26, 2016 10:25PM

Good for Lowell. Pretty even game overall and a gritty OT game-winner.

Date: March 26, 2016 11:03PM

imafrshmn
Good for Lowell. Pretty even game overall and a gritty OT game-winner.
Yeah I have a good friend who went there so he's probably pumped

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 11:21PM

RIT was only given 100 student tickets and they are on break.. i dont think many made it this time

Date: March 26, 2016 11:28PM

andyw2100
I'm fairly certain that in 2010 when we were in Albany with RIT for the first round of the NCAAs, there was talk of how RIT had brought a bunch of students on (free?) busses.
Whereas Cornell fans have been trained to travel in large numbers at little or no cost to the university.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 11:55PM

billhoward
... As long as Providence was in the tournament, Cornell could point to a victory over a really good team back at holiday week...
*clears throat*

Date: March 27, 2016 02:08AM

Versus Quinnipiac, a 5-4 win and a 5-4 loss, a pair of 3-goal losses, and a 2-2 tie. 1-3-1. There's a pony somewhere in there.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2016 03:39AM

That was Yale's game to lose...and they did. I must say that the Lowell fans reminded me quite a bit of Lynah with their sieve chants and goalie targeting. RIT certainly had the most enthusiasm though.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2016 07:17AM

marty
imafrshmn

Here's the Q section now that they've left.

I forgot to mention that there was an old guy wearing a Cornell hat in the crowd. He seemed to be conflicted as he also wore Yale's colors via an old rugby shirt with his loving family similarly attired. Young man in the family was '06 or so. I heard the older couple making plans to visit the United center next year on Palm Sunday weekend. It is surely a blessing to have such a wonderful wife as he. (She seemed to be reading during long stretches of play.) Love at the rink can be a precious thing.

Date: March 27, 2016 07:36PM

A tight Ferris-Denver game deteriorates in a hurry. Tied 3-3 with 5 to go, Denver scores, then immediately scores again, and then a Ferris meathead takes a 5 for what should have been a DQ targeting the head. Too bad; had been interesting.

Date: March 27, 2016 07:39PM

Also, fans at that game said real attendance was about 1000.

Posted by: GBR1234 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2016 08:37PM

Anyone but QU, Pleasseee.

Date: March 27, 2016 09:57PM

Q up 3-1 midway through the 3rd. They dominated the second period and have been the better team all night.

Posted by: underskill (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2016 09:58PM

I still don't get he Q hate on this forum. They remind me of the early-mid 2000 Cornell program

Date: March 27, 2016 10:05PM

underskill
I still don't get he Q hate on this forum. They remind me of the early-mid 2000 Cornell program
Equal parts dumb jock outlier in the conference, Pecknold being an asshole, and sour grapes.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2016 10:06PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 27, 2016 10:06PM

Now 4-1, which won't help the butt hurt any.

Date: March 27, 2016 10:11PM

Some consolation for the Q haters (and all of us, really). 2 of Q's 3 best juniors, Anas and Tim Clifton, have been outstanding through the tourney so far and may well jump. This along with St. Denis, Garteig, Jonzzon and Tiefenwerth all graduating and Q could be decimated.

Posted by: underskill (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2016 10:18PM

Meh. We said that about them and Yale a couple years ago too. Hasn't happened so far.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 27, 2016 11:02PM

Trotsky
Some consolation for the Q haters (and all of us, really). 2 of Q's 3 best juniors, Anas and Tim Clifton, have been outstanding through the tourney so far and may well jump. This along with St. Denis, Garteig, Jonzzon and Tiefenwerth all graduating and Q could be decimated.
Not sure that relying on other teams to get worse is a good plan for the future.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2016 12:17AM

Trotsky
underskill
Equal parts dumb jock outlier in the conference, Pecknold being an asshole, and sour grapes.

OK, so I understand the Q hate. And of course the Harvard hate. But as a Cornell fan I manage to set aside that hate for a few (well, in Harvard's case one) game in late March and perhaps early April and root for any and all ECAC teams. Sure, I would have rooted for Yale over Q tonight if Yale could have taken care of business yesterday. But if it comes down to rooting for an ECAC team or some other team, as much as I may hate the ECAC team when they're facing off against us, at this time of year I've got to root for them. When an ECAC team does well in the tournament it says something about the ECAC.

So I'm confused about those of you who love Cornell hockey as much as I do, but root against ECAC teams in the NCAA tournament.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2016 12:21AM

andyw2100
Trotsky
underskill

OK, so I understand the Q hate. And of course the Harvard hate. But as a Cornell fan I manage to set aside that hate for a few (well, in Harvard's case one) game in late March and perhaps early April and root for any and all ECAC teams. Sure, I would have rooted for Yale over Q tonight if Yale could have taken care of business yesterday. But if it comes down to rooting for an ECAC team or some other team, as much as I may hate the ECAC team when they're facing off against us, at this time of year I've got to root for them. When an ECAC team does well in the tournament it says something about the ECAC.

So I'm confused about those of you who love Cornell hockey as much as I do, but root against ECAC teams in the NCAA tournament.

I've always supported other ECAC teams in the NCAAs, but a number of us don't think Q belongs in the ECAC. (And it's not an elitist thing, since I was happy to root for UVM in the 90s back when they represented the ECAC in the tournament.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2016 12:58AM

andyw2100
We've been over this at length in previous years. Some people would like to see our rivals do poorly. Bad feeling for a rival is stronger than any conference loyalty for them. Some also feel that other teams in the ECAC doing well is bad for Cornell from a long term perspective (e.g. recruiting).

I don't agree with them but I understand the argument.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 28, 2016 12:58AM

andyw2100
Trotsky
underskill

Same reason Duke fans weren't rooting for UNC today. Fans of a certain team tend to hate that team's rivals.

Also, Cornell, with all its heartbreaking losses in the NCAA's over the past 20 years, deserves to win a national title before these teams that have only been good the past few years.

Also also, the ECAC being better generally makes it harder for Cornell to do well. (People here will argue otherwise, but there's no evidence to support this claim.)

Date: March 28, 2016 08:32AM

BearLover
Also, Cornell, with all its heartbreaking losses in the NCAA's over the past 20 years, deserves to win a national title before these teams that have only been good the past few years.
I'm not sure if you meant this rhetorically or not, but this is obviously not how the game actually works.

According to the rules, the team that does well enough to get an NCAA bid and then manages to win four games in a row deserves to win the national title. There is currently no handicapping based on performance in past seasons, a school's hockey tradition, or how much fans have suffered. The only thing that matters is winning the right games at the right time, something that Yale and Union have done, and that Q is now possibly doing.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 28, 2016 09:15AM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
Not sure that relying on other teams to get worse is a good plan for the future.
You leave the Islanders out of this.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 28, 2016 09:21AM

KeithK
andyw2100
We've been over this at length in previous years. Some people would like to see our rivals do poorly. Bad feeling for a rival is stronger than any conference loyalty for them. Some also feel that other teams in the ECAC doing well is bad for Cornell from a long term perspective (e.g. recruiting).

I don't agree with them but I understand the argument.
This. It's actually cool that there seems to be a fairly even divide on this question. It's boring when we all agree with a premise.

I'm obviously in the "My conference, right or wrong" column, but I also understand the contrary viewpoint. I think for people of about my age the contempt with which the ECAC was held over the late 90s and 00s was so irksome that it made all the ECAC teams brothers in arms when the NC$$s came around. I've noticed this age split on other ECAC team threads in USCHO, too.

Perhaps if the ECAC continues to routinely produce F4 teams and national champions we'll start to feel more comfortable rooting against rivals in April.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: March 28, 2016 10:16AM

Kyle Rose
BearLover
I'm not sure if you meant this rhetorically or not, but this is obviously not how the game actually works.

According to the rules, the team that does well enough to get an NCAA bid and then manages to win four games in a row deserves to win the national title. There is currently no handicapping based on performance in past seasons, a school's hockey tradition, or how much fans have suffered. The only thing that matters is winning the right games at the right time, something that Yale and Union have done, and that Q is now possibly doing.

Exactly. Or as I like to say whenever I hear the "D" word when it comes to sports, "Deserve's got nuthin' to do with it."

[youtu.be]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2016 10:17AM by RichH.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2016 11:06AM

Some things I noticed at the games on Saturday as a spectator.

-The RIT student area was really enthusiastic. The rock guitar that their band had was an interesting touch.
-Quinnipiac had a pretty decent turnout. There were quite a number of folks around with their colors, although the few students that were there still aren't very creative with their jeers (Sucks! only goes so far).
-Lowell had a good turnout too, but many of their fans weren't there for the first game. I had the pleasure of sitting below the Lowell section and they had some very orchestrated stuff similar to what you would hear in Lynah. There were curses too but the staff didn't seem to care one bit.
-The Lowell band is very very good and I would pay to hear them perform. One of the people near me mentioned that they have a good music program--that was pretty evident.
-Attendance for the first game was definitely better than that of the second one. The arena seemed somewhere from 40-60% full to me, but I haven't seen the exact figures.
-I didn't see who it was, but I could hear one of the Yale players quite audibly shout "Fuck!" as he headed into the locker room after the 3rd period. We all know what happened about 20 minutes later.
-Times Union Center is an OK arena considering where it is. For some reason, there was no display with scores for other regionals anywhere in the arena; and the announcer almost never mentioned the other scores. Of course, there was no public Wifi in the building.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2016 02:13PM by Iceberg.

Date: March 28, 2016 11:10AM

Iceberg
-Times Union Center is an OK arena considering where it is.

[www.google.com]

Date: March 28, 2016 11:59AM

Kyle Rose
BearLover

Thanks for this completely useless post.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 28, 2016 12:02PM

Here's an important point. I turned the game on at 1-0 at some point in the second period. From that point on, at least, Q made Lowell look like they had never previously played hockey.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 28, 2016 12:40PM

BearLover
Kyle Rose
BearLover

Wait, so you're saying that the post outlining the facts is completely useless, but the post whining about how it isn't fair or right or just that Cornell wasn't handed a NC is more useful?

I'll admit that I care very little anymore: life is too short for shitty entertainment. I've been a bad fan for a long time, but I'm a full-on apostate now. Sometimes, you need the reality check that only people like myself can give you.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 28, 2016 01:19PM

Kyle Rose
BearLover
Kyle Rose
BearLover

Wait, so you're saying that the post outlining the facts is completely useless, but the post whining about how it isn't fair or right or just that Cornell wasn't handed a NC is more useful?

I'll admit that I care very little anymore: life is too short for shitty entertainment. I've been a bad fan for a long time, but I'm a full-on apostate now. Sometimes, you need the reality check that only people like myself can give you.
Kyle, I think your facts are wrong. Winning four straight gaes in the tournament has nothing to do with being "deserving". It just means that you played better at the right time. I think most of us know that "deserve" in a sports context is a purely emotional statement. Emotion is a totally justifiable reason to explain why someone roots for one particular team over another. After all there really is no rational reason to let your happiness be dictated by a bunch of kids wearing red who have knives strapped to their feet.

Date: March 28, 2016 01:28PM

KeithK
Kyle Rose
BearLover
Kyle Rose
BearLover

Kyle, I think your facts are wrong. Winning four straight gaes in the tournament has nothing to do with being "deserving". It just means that you played better at the right time. I think most of us know that "deserve" in a sports context is a purely emotional statement. Emotion is a totally justifiable reason to explain why someone roots for one particular team over another. After all there really is no rational reason to let your happiness be dictated by a bunch of kids wearing red who have knives strapped to their feet.
+1

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2016 01:58PM

KeithK
Kyle Rose
BearLover
Kyle Rose
BearLover

As shown by the run of the Syracuse basketball team to the final four -- no one would have put them among the top 25 teams heading into the tournament.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2016 02:14PM

ugarte
Here's an important point. I turned the game on at 1-0 at some point in the second period. From that point on, at least, Q made Lowell look like they had never previously played hockey.

Q didn't play all that well against RIT for the first 40 minutes...and then they showed up in the 3rd. RIT's problem was that they weren't very good at getting quality shots.

Date: March 28, 2016 02:18PM

KeithK
Kyle Rose
BearLover
Kyle Rose
BearLover

Then again, if we want to talk about "deserving" a right to be national champion I could go off on my rant about post-season tournaments and at-large bids. But that's so last decade.

Date: March 28, 2016 02:38PM

KeithK
Kyle Rose
BearLover
Kyle Rose
BearLover

To some extent, I think we are both begging the question. (In the original sense, not the modern sense.) I am saying that the rules of the tournament define who is deserving of the NC: the winner of the tournament. You are saying that "deserving" means something entirely subjective, which means it isn't well-defined. To use scoop's example, some people might think Syracuse is deserving of the Final Four because they played hard at the right time; others think they barely qualified and that it would be a travesty were they to win the NC. So which group is right?

I guess I'm mostly saying that talking about which team is more "deserving" is pointless. In the subjective sense, it doesn't signify anything about whether or not a team *should* win, and frankly says more about the fan than the team. In my locker room, after every loss I hear statements like "We should have won that game"... but I *never* hear "We deserved to win that game." Never. There is a huge difference between the two statements in the implied level of entitlement.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2016 02:42PM by Kyle Rose.

Date: March 28, 2016 03:10PM

Kyle Rose
KeithK
Kyle Rose
BearLover
Kyle Rose
BearLover

To some extent, I think we are both begging the question. (In the original sense, not the modern sense.) I am saying that the rules of the tournament define who is deserving of the NC: the winner of the tournament. You are saying that "deserving" means something entirely subjective, which means it isn't well-defined. To use scoop's example, some people might think Syracuse is deserving of the Final Four because they played hard at the right time; others think they barely qualified and that it would be a travesty were they to win the NC. So which group is right?

I guess I'm mostly saying that talking about which team is more "deserving" is pointless. In the subjective sense, it doesn't signify anything about whether or not a team *should* win, and frankly says more about the fan than the team. In my locker room, after every loss I hear statements like "We should have won that game"... but I *never* hear "We deserved to win that game." Never. There is a huge difference between the two statements in the implied level of entitlement.
I don't think it's possible for someone to use the term "begging the question" correctly in this day and age. I think it's actually illegal in some states :-)

But you're right. If I define "deserve" as a subjective, emotional thing it means something entirely different than if we define it based on the rules.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2016 03:58PM

KeithK
Kyle Rose
KeithK
Kyle Rose
BearLover
Kyle Rose
BearLover

I don't think it's possible for someone to use the term "begging the question" correctly in this day and age. I think it's actually illegal in some states :-)

But you're right. If I define "deserve" as a subjective, emotional thing it means something entirely different than if we define it based on the rules.

And there's nothing wrong with either usage. Which is why I think that Kyle coming down so hard wasn't necessary. I find it hard to believe that anyone posting here doesn't understand "the rules" for winning a championship. And I'd guess that 90+ % of the readers understood that BearLover was expressing emotion and not facts.

Oh well, it's the off season.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 28, 2016 04:22PM

Kyle Rose
KeithK
Kyle Rose
BearLover
Kyle Rose
BearLover

Kyle, this is what someone who never interacts with people talks like. BearLover used the word "deserve" in a clearly non-literal sense to refer to the proverbial long-suffering fan and you are responding as if there is a real debate over whether the winner of the tournament deserves to go home with hardware.

Date: March 28, 2016 04:27PM

ugarte
Kyle Rose
KeithK
Kyle Rose
BearLover
Kyle Rose
BearLover

Kyle, this is what someone who never interacts with people talks like. BearLover used the word "deserve" in a clearly non-literal sense to refer to the proverbial long-suffering fan and you are responding as if there is a real debate over whether the winner of the tournament deserves to go home with hardware.
It happens frequently that a lot of people seriously think that the winner of the tournament doesn't deserve to go home with the hardware. They get really riled up. Well, maybe they should just be content with their righteous indignation: that's a trophy of sorts.

Date: March 28, 2016 04:33PM

ugarte
Kyle, this is what someone who never interacts with people talks like.
BTW, thanks for the free psychoanalysis, Dr. Star. All bills will be returned to sender. crazy

Date: March 28, 2016 05:33PM

Jim Hyla
And there's nothing wrong with either usage. Which is why I think that Kyle coming down so hard wasn't necessary.
Probably. But it's just Kyle being Kyle.

Date: March 28, 2016 08:43PM

Kyle Rose
BearLover
Kyle Rose
BearLover

I'm done addressing your deliberately obtuse strawmans. When's the last time you said something productive on here?

Date: March 28, 2016 08:48PM

BearLover
Kyle Rose
BearLover
Kyle Rose
BearLover

I'm done addressing your deliberately obtuse strawmans. When's the last time you said something productive on here?
I suspect all time spent on ELynah is unproductive. Thankfully, that's not the only reason to do something.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2016 09:50PM

Kyle Rose
ugarte
Kyle, this is what someone who never interacts with people talks like.
BTW, thanks for the free psychoanalysis, Dr. Star. All bills will be returned to sender. crazy
But my rates are so reasonable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2016 09:51PM by ugarte.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2016 09:01AM

Iceberg
-The RIT student area was really enthusiastic. The rock guitar that their band had was an interesting touch.

No! No, no, no, no. No, no, no. Pep bands shouldn't have to be plugged in. Back in the 90s Clarkson (and others over the years) had an electric bass. It's just wrong. Don't encourage them.

Iceberg
-For some reason, there was no display with scores for other regionals anywhere in the arena; and the announcer almost never mentioned the other scores.

There's an app for that ;)

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: March 29, 2016 09:35AM

CowbellGuy
Iceberg

No! No, no, no, no. No, no, no. Pep bands shouldn't have to be plugged in. Back in the 90s Clarkson (and others over the years) had an electric bass. It's just wrong. Don't encourage them.

No electric instruments, no music stands, no elaborate floor-based drumsets, and no goddamn hockey cheerleaders. And it wouldn't hurt to have a student conductor instead of a junior faculty member.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2016 09:37AM by RichH.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2016 03:32PM

RichH
CowbellGuy
Iceberg

No electric instruments, no music stands, no elaborate floor-based drumsets, and no goddamn hockey cheerleaders. And it wouldn't hurt to have a student conductor instead of a junior faculty member.

And most importantly, no piped in music. This is college, not minor league pros. If your school can't put together a band, so be it.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2016 05:44PM

A nice story out of Quinnipiac.

Date: March 29, 2016 06:51PM

BearLover
Kyle Rose

Bzzt! Kyle set up the original Cornell Hockey Discussion Forum before there even was an eLynah. (Not to mention a chat server with separate color-coded threads for Cornell and Clarkson games, just because.) The only person here with standing to call him "unproductive" is Age. (And maybe the founder of the original Clarkson Hockey Roundtable, ridiculous as it was.)

Date: March 29, 2016 07:48PM

jtwcornell91
BearLover
Kyle Rose

Bzzt! Kyle set up the original Cornell Hockey Discussion Forum before there even was an eLynah. (Not to mention a chat server with separate color-coded threads for Cornell and Clarkson games, just because.) The only person here with standing to call him "unproductive" is Age. (And maybe the founder of the original Clarkson Hockey Roundtable, ridiculous as it was.)
Be that as it may, there is no reason to engage someone on a n internet forum if you don't see any value in his contributions or arguments. That's like rule number one of internet forums. So don't get frustrated, just ignore him if you think he's being deliberately obtuse.

Date: March 29, 2016 08:11PM

jtwcornell91
BearLover
Kyle Rose

Nowhere in my post did I suggest he was never productive in the entire history of the internet.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2016 08:12PM by BearLover.

Date: March 29, 2016 09:39PM

KeithK
jtwcornell91
BearLover
Kyle Rose

Be that as it may, there is no reason to engage someone on a n internet forum if you don't see any value in his contributions or arguments. That's like rule number one of internet forums. So don't get frustrated, just ignore him if you think he's being deliberately obtuse.
I freely admit I am trolling to some extent at this point. Not completely, because I think my point has some legit value, but I am trying to provoke as well as make a point.

This comes from a heartfelt place. With ten years of reflection, my peak of Cornell fandom was probably the 2006 Wisconsin game (which I didn't even finish watching because I had to go to my own hockey playoff game). I was physically ill by the middle of the second overtime. It was not a good time, especially since I didn't even have real beer to help me through. And this followed by a week the awful loss in Albany to Harvard in the ECAC final, a game I still can't put out of my mind.

Following that loss to Wisconsin, I think I subconsciously decided that a game I wasn't even playing was simply not important enough to put myself through that. So now I care less. It's easier on the nerves.

Posted by: Swampy (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 29, 2016 10:12PM

Kyle Rose
KeithK
jtwcornell91
BearLover
Kyle Rose

I freely admit I am trolling to some extent at this point. Not completely, because I think my point has some legit value, but I am trying to provoke as well as make a point.

This comes from a heartfelt place. With ten years of reflection, my peak of Cornell fandom was probably the 2006 Wisconsin game (which I didn't even finish watching because I had to go to my own hockey playoff game). I was physically ill by the middle of the second overtime. It was not a good time, especially since I didn't even have real beer to help me through. And this followed by a week the awful loss in Albany to Harvard in the ECAC final, a game I still can't put out of my mind.

Following that loss to Wisconsin, I think I subconsciously decided that a game I wasn't even playing was simply not important enough to put myself through that. So now I care less. It's easier on the nerves.

All good points, Kyle. But your post about the rules for winning the NC seems to misconstrue fandom deliberately. It's all about emotion.

Date: March 29, 2016 10:24PM

Swampy
Kyle Rose
KeithK
jtwcornell91
BearLover
Kyle Rose

All good points, Kyle. But your post about the rules for winning the NC seems to misconstrue fandom deliberately. It's all about emotion.
Jerk.

Date: March 29, 2016 10:30PM

Kyle Rose
That's pretty much what I meant by "Kyle being Kyle". But then I know you from way back when and have been posting with you for years and years, so it's really easy for me to take your semi-trolling with a smile.

Kyle Rose

I totally get that. I've actualy pulled back on all kinds of sports fandom to some degree because the stress was getting to me too much at times. I'm happier having done so but can still enjoy those same sports so I think I'm in a good place.

Strangely I remember being very calm and relaxed (relatively speaking anyway) throughout that same Wisconsin game. I don't know why.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2016 10:31PM by KeithK.

Date: March 29, 2016 10:47PM

KeithK
Swampy
Kyle Rose
KeithK
jtwcornell91
BearLover
Kyle Rose

Jerk.

Typical. :-|

(Man, haven't had one of those in a long while!)

Date: April 06, 2016 07:27PM

Posted by: RichH (72.91.181.---)
Date: April 07, 2016 01:31PM

Note to DVR folks, or just casual viewers. Saturday's championship will no longer be on ESPN. Moved to "The Ocho." No, wait, just ESPN2. The four-letter is a basketball personality network, after all.

Date: April 07, 2016 06:14PM

I wish I could say incredible, but so, so credible.

Date: April 07, 2016 08:44PM

IN a game I completely forgot was tonight, Q advances with a 3-2 win over BC.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.122.---)
Date: April 07, 2016 09:11PM

As much as I dislike Q, this was a great game to watch. Q took some stupid penalties late in the third period (just as they had in the 2-2 regular season tie against Cornell), and BC had a lot of pressure on them down the stretch, but Garteig made some huge saves down the stretch. Another key play late in the game came when Garteig was out of position and a BC player had an open net to shoot at only to have a Q defenseman deflect the puck away at the last second. Earlier in the third period, Q failed to convert on a 4-on-1 break, something you don't see too often.

Date: April 07, 2016 09:37PM

dbilmes
As much as I dislike Q, this was a great game to watch. Q took some stupid penalties late in the third period (just as they had in the 2-2 regular season tie against Cornell), and BC had a lot of pressure on them down the stretch, but Garteig made some huge saves down the stretch. Another key play late in the game came when Garteig was out of position and a BC player had an open net to shoot at only to have a Q defenseman deflect the puck away at the last second. Earlier in the third period, Q failed to convert on a 4-on-1 break, something you don't see too often.

And ND just had a 4 on 1 without scoring. This is a fun game to watch!

Date: April 07, 2016 10:24PM

Watching the game streamed with all the ambient noise and no commentary is the most pleasant broadcast I've ever experienced. PLEASE make this an option for all sports telecasts. Nobody needs the natterers. Silence them for good.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 08, 2016 05:27PM

Trotsky
Watching the game streamed with all the ambient noise and no commentary is the most pleasant broadcast I've ever experienced. PLEASE make this an option for all sports telecasts. Nobody needs the natterers. Silence them for good.

Like the 1980 Jets - Dolphins (I think) game. That was a pleasure to watch.

Date: April 08, 2016 08:08PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky

"Brought to you without the benefit of announcers"

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 10:29PM

jtwcornell91
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky

"Brought to you without with the benefit of no announcers"

FYP

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2016 07:23PM

Trotsky

especially if it is buccigross. he's even worse at hockey play-by-play than the kids on the Yale feed. Can't believe he gets paid to do that.

Posted by: RichH (107.77.72.---)
Date: April 09, 2016 07:30PM

abmarks
Trotsky

especially if it is buccigross. he's even worse at hockey play-by-play than the kids on the Yale feed. Can't believe he gets paid to do that.

Well, you know. He's the goddamned pope of #collegehockey. He has a clothing line. People on Twitter think he's great.

Date: April 09, 2016 07:40PM

Beats Melrose but that's a low bar.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2016 09:16PM

Trotsky
Barry Melrose competes with Don Cherry. Different grouping.

Date: April 09, 2016 09:43PM

billhoward
Trotsky
Barry Melrose competes with Don Cherry. Different grouping.

I'd say Mike Francesa.

Date: April 09, 2016 10:33PM

4-1 NoDak late. Q fell apart in the third; too bad.

Re: NCAA tournament 2016 - ND 5 Q 1
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2016 11:05PM

North Dakota played a good game. Quinnipiac fell apart. Too bad for the ECAC.

Date: April 09, 2016 11:27PM

As I've said before, I'm not in the camp that roots against the ECAC in the NCAAs, but I've made an exception for Quinnipiac Marketing Solutions, Inc., so thank goodness they didn't win it. First champion from the NCHC and first Western Champion since the B1g T6n blew up all the conferences out there. I did get pretty tired of hearing about the end of NoDak's intolerably long 16-year title drought, though. Geez, I can remember the last time they won it.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: April 10, 2016 12:27AM

I'm not exactly in love with Q, but screw NoDak, which is to say, bah.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 12:27AM by Dafatone.

Re: NCAA tournament 2016 - ND 5 Q 1
Date: April 10, 2016 12:33AM

banana

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 10, 2016 06:59AM

I've always liked N. Dakota, going back to the Frozen Four in '80. Nice fans, good program. And it was always their job to keep the goofer fans in place.

Congrats, Sioux.

And a trivia question for you stats types: Is this the first national championship in any sport between two teams who changed their names to be more PC (whether voluntarily or not)?

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2016 08:05AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I've always liked N. Dakota, going back to the Frozen Four in '80. Nice fans, good program. And it was always their job to keep the goofer fans in place.

Congrats, Sioux.

I'm with you on this one, Jeff... There were my pick when the four teams were filtered down. Go Sioux!!

Date: April 10, 2016 08:18AM

Congratulations Flickertails! :-}

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2016 08:57AM

That top line for UND was filthy. Talk about offensive skill and flair!

I'd forgotten how awful Buccigross is doing PBP (although he gets an A for enthusiasm). Melrose is just plain awful.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2016 09:49AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Agreed. I've heard "Minnesota Nice" is a sham, but "North Dakota Nice" is for real.

And, like BearLover, I'll give QU losing a: banana

I've made my peace with Yale winning; I was happy to see Union (a small school) paste Minnesota. But a Hamden U. national championship would've stuck in my craw.

Date: April 10, 2016 11:55AM

redice
Jeff Hopkins '82

Congrats, Sioux.

I'm with you on this one, Jeff... There were my pick when the four teams were filtered down. Go Sioux!!

I liked the way the team started the Sioux cheer after getting the trophy. Take that NCAA! Also it's hard not to enjoy Pecknold in the grip of a better foe.

Date: April 10, 2016 04:37PM

marty
redice
Jeff Hopkins '82

Congrats, Sioux.

I liked the way the team started the Sioux cheer after getting the trophy. Take that NCAA! Also it's hard not to enjoy Pecknold in the grip of a better foe.

I think it's really unfortunate that defying the NCAA seems to be a motivator for continuing to say Sioux. It's almost as if nobody from the UND hockey community took the time to reflect on why the name is problematic. Fighting Hawks is an awful team name for a different reason (it's completely generic), but the fact that it sucks only encourages people to continue saying Sioux. "Tradition" is not a valid reason for perpetuating anything, especially racist cultural appropriations.

That said, "Quinnipiac University" is also a problematic indian appropriation in my eyes. Anyway, I enjoyed the hockey game and liked watching UND's talent shine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 04:40PM by imafrshmn.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login