Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

More Realignment Coming: Notre Dame to B1G

Posted by RichH 
More Realignment Coming: Notre Dame to B1G
Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: March 22, 2016 06:50PM

That didn't take long: All the college hockey news outlets are reporting that Notre Dame is bolting Hockey East for the Big Ten. Of all the mayhem the Penn State addition sparked a few years ago, Notre Dame joining HEA made the least sense.

A recurring "joke" this season has been "when will Quinnipiac leave for Hockey East?" and now the golden (Dome) opportunity presents itself. I can't think their stock would be any higher for such a move if HEA is interested. If they go, joining the schools that more closely match their persona, that leaves another opening in the ECAC landscape. I'd really love for RIT to join, but it sounded like Holy Cross was campaigning hard when the decision was made to name QU as the Vermont replacement. Who else? Army? Sacred Heart? Niagara?

Geographically this mixes things up with the league travel partnerships yet again. Cornell/Colgate would be the most likely to be split up with RIT coming in. Put us with RIT and Colgate with Princeton? Putting us with Princeton pairs all the Ivies. If it's Holy Cross as a new ECAC member that's very central: Either a drop-in replacement for QU, or a HC-Dartmouth / Harvard-Brown / Y-P juggling.

Eh, cart-before-the-horse.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 07:03PM by RichH.

Re: More Realignment Coming: Notre Dame to B1G
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 22, 2016 07:18PM

Hockey East has played with an uneven number of teams before (many, many seasons in that state) and has shown a willingness to do that rather than scramble to "even-up". So it's no guarantee that the Derrticks would be invited to jump. That said, I agree that it's a pretty logical move.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2016 08:29PM

The Skating Deerticks are HE incarnate: no academics, all hype. Don't wait for their pull; push. Then grab RIT; they're perfect.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 08:32PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 22, 2016 08:31PM

Would love to never see this team again.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2016 11:06PM

RichH
Geographically this mixes things up with the league travel partnerships yet again. Cornell/Colgate would be the most likely to be split up with RIT coming in. Put us with RIT and Colgate with Princeton?

The obvious (to me) pairings would be RIT-Cornell, Colgate-Union, RPI-Princeton and leave the rest the same. A bit unfortunate to split up the Capital District teams, but no worse than having Yale and Quinnipiac in separate partnerships now. Princeton-RPI is not so bad since you can take 287 to the Thruway. (Certainly better than the Columbia-Cornell travel partnership in the Ivies.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2016 11:31PM

jtwcornell91
RichH
Geographically this mixes things up with the league travel partnerships yet again. Cornell/Colgate would be the most likely to be split up with RIT coming in. Put us with RIT and Colgate with Princeton?

The obvious (to me) pairings would be RIT-Cornell, Colgate-Union, RPI-Princeton and leave the rest the same. A bit unfortunate to split up the Capital District teams, but no worse than having Yale and Quinnipiac in separate partnerships now. Princeton-RPI is not so bad since you can take 287 to the Thruway. (Certainly better than the Columbia-Cornell travel partnership in the Ivies.)

Being travel partners with Princeton was no doubt part of the "sandwich" Quinnipiac was handed as a condition of joining the league. The transfer of that "sandwich" to us would be as troubling as it is inevitable, but I could see a couple of advantages:
  • Opponents could be affected by the long travel distance between the two campuses.
  • We would be more likely to start the season or front-load the season with games against other Ivies. (Some years the first week, some years the second week, and some years two weeks in a row.)
  • The travel distance makes weekend travel-partner series unlikely. That's OK with me: I'd prefer to see us have a bit more flexibility for OOC scheduling. With Princeton's wacky academic calendar, a Tuesday game here or there would probably work fine.
  • Who knows when Princeton will put together another good stretch? Seems to happen about once very ten years or so; indeed, Princeton's been more often mediocre than Brown and Dartmouth in the modern ECAC.
Personally, I can't wait for Quinnipiac to go. And I agree with the emerging consensus: RIT would be the perfect fit.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 11:32PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: KGR11 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2016 11:39PM

jtwcornell91
RichH

RPI is over 3 hours from Princeton. I bet they would just go with Yale which is around 2.5 hours from Princeton.
My prediction for Q is out and RIT is in with travel times.

Cornell-RIT: 1 hours 50 minutes
Colgate-Union: 1 hours 55 minutes
RPI-Dartmouth: 2 hours 30 minutes
Harvard-Brown: 1 hour
Yale-Princeton: 2 hours 30 minutes
Clarkson-St. Lawrence: 15 minutes (no change)

Date: March 22, 2016 11:41PM

Scersk '97
jtwcornell91
RichH

Being travel partners with Princeton was no doubt part of the "sandwich" Quinnipiac was handed as a condition of joining the league. The transfer of that "sandwich" to us would be as troubling as it is inevitable,

So you think they'd pair RIT with Colgate and us with Princeton? I'd have to assume they'd keep the two westernmost schools together. Google tells be Princeton to RPI is only 3:15.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2016 08:02AM

you could also look at the RIT side of the equation why would they want to jump? they are d3 im everything else, what do they benefit from a harder conference by far to win?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2016 08:14AM

upprdeck
you could also look at the RIT side of the equation why would they want to jump? they are d3 im everything else, what do they benefit from a harder conference by far to win?

1. Join the conference with the Ivies.
2. ???
3. PROFIT!!!

Date: March 23, 2016 08:17AM

upprdeck

RIT recently moved into the Liberty League, which is where Clarkson, RPI, Union and SLU play in most sports, and just opened a 6000-seat arena. RIT is a much better fit for the ECAC than AHA at this point. RIT definitely sees its hockey program on an upward path, and moving to the "big time" would fit in with that, even if it means giving up a shot at an easy autobid. Moving to the ECAC would also get rid of the need to travel to Colorado Springs every year.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2016 09:41AM

Scersk '97

Being travel partners with Princeton was no doubt part of the "sandwich" Quinnipiac was handed as a condition of joining the league. The transfer of that "sandwich" to us would be as troubling as it is inevitable, but I could see a couple of advantages:

• Who knows when Princeton will put together another good stretch? Seems to happen about once very ten years or so; indeed, Princeton's been more often mediocre than Brown and Dartmouth in the modern ECAC.

How is having a weak travelling partner an advantage? Isn't it better to have a strong travelling partner, so the teams we're playing on Saturday night had a tough game on Friday night?

Date: March 23, 2016 10:29AM

its great to say it but since this is a money driven thing show me where going to ecac actually makes them more money. they also dont go to air force every year since the conf doesnt travel to all the teams every year.

they have a new arena that doesnt come close to selling out and going to the ecac isnt likely to help that since no ecac teams outside of cornell actually travel.

also its a 4300 seat arena not 6K.

Date: March 23, 2016 12:22PM

upprdeck
they have a new arena that doesnt come close to selling out and going to the ecac isnt likely to help that since no ecac teams outside of cornell actually travel.

From the ECAC perspective:

Cornell obviously would fill the rink. Clarkson and RPI might also travel well to RIT. Union, SLU and Colgate would, if only they were bigger, which means they're either a wash or a gain when they have peaks.

I would ask rather whether anybody with a large traveling contingent would travel less to RIT than to Q? I can't think of anybody.

From the perspective of longterm ECAC growth, Go West, young man. RIT is a steppingstone to Buffalo (Niagara, Canisius) and from there on to Pennsylvania (Mercyhurst, Robert Morris).

Finally it would piss Princeton off, and that is reason enough.

From the RIT perspective:

Who travels to them now who they'd lose?
Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2016 12:38PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 23, 2016 12:38PM

clarkson brings the band. colgate travels some times. no one else comes to lynah so why would they go to a traditionless RIT?

they get no away crowds now at RIT , but getting a couple hundred out of town fans is not really driving any income. perhaps playing in a better league gets more townies to show but thats only if they trend upward which most RIT alums are leary of..

already talked with many RIT alums and havent found one yet who thinks its a good idea.

Date: March 23, 2016 12:56PM

upprdeck
clarkson brings the band. colgate travels some times. no one else comes to lynah so why would they go to a traditionless RIT?

they get no away crowds now at RIT , but getting a couple hundred out of town fans is not really driving any income. perhaps playing in a better league gets more townies to show but thats only if they trend upward which most RIT alums are leary of..

already talked with many RIT alums and havent found one yet who thinks its a good idea.

ECAC grads in Rochester, maybe? I dunno. It's good for John, anyway. :-)

First thing, let's kill all the Quinnipiacs. We can decide who to add later. Holy Cross has a cool symbol anyway.

Date: March 23, 2016 03:52PM

andyw2100
Scersk '97

How is having a weak travelling partner an advantage? Isn't it better to have a strong travelling partner, so the teams we're playing on Saturday night had a tough game on Friday night?

My point is more that Princeton has not always been horrible. Rather them than Brown or Dartmouth, but, yes, Colgate is best and RIT would probably be better than Princeton over time.

Date: March 23, 2016 03:58PM

jtwcornell91
So you think they'd pair RIT with Colgate and us with Princeton? I'd have to assume they'd keep the two westernmost schools together. Google tells be Princeton to RPI is only 3:15.

I think they'd put the two Ivies together.

From Colgate's new "palace" to the Polisseni Center is (sans traffic) 2 hr 9 min, according to Google; from Lynah there is 1 hr 46. Essentially a push.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2016 05:49AM

Adam's latest column on the subject.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2016 08:39PM

Notre Dame will have more time to worry about their move since their offseason just began.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2016 08:41PM

We're not the only ones who want to get Quinnipiac out of the ECAC. Here's a column in the Waterbury, CT, newspaper calling for the same thing.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2016 08:46AM

Date: March 26, 2016 10:39AM

no scholies in a tougher league will be hard.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 11:13AM

Speaking of RIT...

...go RIT cheer

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2016 11:31AM

upprdeck
no scholies in a tougher league will be hard.

It would, however, raise their recruiting profile so they'd be after better players. Last I remember they blew us out of BCA and made us look slow and confused. Would like another crack at them.

*Totally forgot we got another crack at them at Lynah and lost.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2016 11:59AM by ithacat.

Re: More Realignment Coming: FL gov invites Yale to Florida
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2016 12:48AM

Saw this in today's (3/30/2016) Naples Daily Press. Almost spit up my breakfast.

If Yale - Florida was located in Tallahassee, ECAC could take Alabama-Huntsville to be Yale's travel partner and boot Q to hockey east. Redneck Roadtrip!

"Gov. Scott tells Yale: Bring the Ivy League to Florida"

"TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Florida Gov. Rick Scott wants one of America's most prestigious universities to move its campus south to the Sunshine State. Scott on Tuesday urged Yale University to ditch Connecticut and relocate its campus. The Republican explained that Connecticut legislators are considering a bill that would tax Yale's massive university endowment. "

No state income tax in Florida.

[www.naplesnews.com]

I think this link works.

[www.orlandosentinel.com]

Posted by: Swampy (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 31, 2016 02:40AM

Rita
Saw this in today's (3/30/2016) Naples Daily Press. Almost spit up my breakfast.

If Yale - Florida was located in Tallahassee, ECAC could take Alabama-Huntsville to be Yale's travel partner and boot Q to hockey east. Redneck Roadtrip!

"TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Florida Gov. Rick Scott wants one of America's most prestigious universities to move its campus south to the Sunshine State. Scott on Tuesday urged Yale University to ditch Connecticut and relocate its campus. The Republican explained that Connecticut legislators are considering a bill that would tax Yale's massive university endowment. "

[www.naplesnews.com]

I think this link works.

Moving Yale to Florida is probably not in the cards. But Yale opening a Florida campus, and perhaps doing some financial footwork to evade Connecticut taxes, not so much.

After all, Stanford was competing to open a New York City campus. And many states have considered following NYC's lead. Like Scott, they think attracting a world-class university will help their economies. This justification is pretty stupid. Research shows that maybe as many as five universities actually trigger substantial local growth, but the rest do not. Otherwise, Tompkins County, Hanover New Hampshire, and Baltimore would be as posh as Palo Alto. Nonetheless, elite universities are getting into the game of starting branch campuses. So maybe Rick Scott can bribe Y'all to open a branch campus in Orlando.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2016 09:41AM

Swampy
Rita

[www.naplesnews.com]

I think this link works.

Moving Yale to Florida is probably not in the cards. But Yale opening a Florida campus, and perhaps doing some financial footwork to evade Connecticut taxes, not so much.

After all, Stanford was competing to open a New York City campus. And many states have considered following NYC's lead. Like Scott, they think attracting a world-class university will help their economies. This justification is pretty stupid. Research shows that maybe as many as five universities actually trigger substantial local growth, but the rest do not. Otherwise, Tompkins County, Hanover New Hampshire, and Baltimore would be as posh as Palo Alto. Nonetheless, elite universities are getting into the game of starting branch campuses. So maybe Rick Scott can bribe Y'all to open a branch campus in Orlando.

We got plenty of STUPID in Florida.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login