Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

root for Upsets?

Posted by upprdeck 
root for Upsets?
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 01:19PM

1 upset gets us a series vs Yale..2 gets us harvard. almost had 2 last night as clarkson trailed the whole game and colgate lost in OT. shoul we be rooting for this? I would rather play Quin or Harvard than Yale

Re: root for Upsets?
Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 01:23PM

I'd rather play anyone besides Q

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 01:29PM

Every home team won, by 1 goal in the ECAC, 2 in OT. All Hockey East games were by one goal, 3 in OT and all to the home team except Vermont winning at UConn.

We have been both good and lucky vs. Quinnipiac this year. Rather player Harvard. Plus it would be virtual home ice especially with Harvard at the beginning of spring break.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 01:38PM

billhoward
Every home team won, by 1 goal in the ECAC, 2 in OT. All Hockey East games were by one goal, 3 in OT and all to the home team except Vermont winning at UConn.

We have been both good and lucky vs. Quinnipiac this year. Rather player Harvard. Plus it would be virtual home ice especially with Harvard at the beginning of spring break.

If we get Q and get past them, we'd almost definitely move up to 14th in the Pairwise. Which may or may not be enough, but it would be something. Not sure what to root for, honestly.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 07:01PM

Dafatone
billhoward

If we get Q and get past them, we'd almost definitely move up to 14th in the Pairwise. Which may or may not be enough, but it would be something. Not sure what to root for, honestly.
Why would anyone want us to play Q? Yes, we blew a third-period lead against them before losing in OT early in the season, and we tied them in Hamden, but Q has only lost 2 games all season. The odds of us beating them twice in a weekend in their rink are not good. We also lost to Yale at home and tied them in New Haven, and they've been the hottest team in the ECAC. Our odds of beating them aren't good, either, but I don't see why anyone would have us play Quinnipiac over anyone else.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 07:03PM

"To be the best you gotta beat the best."

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 06, 2016 12:19PM

I'm going to suffer horrible flashbacks all week if we get paired vs. Q...

Posted by: wakester2468 (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2016 02:46PM

Pretty simple, we need to win another series to be NCAA bound. The higher ranked team we beat is better for Pairwise. A win over Q should guarantee a berth but a Yale win could still mean a necessary win at Lake Placid to advance. Might as well take care of business in Hamden.

Date: March 06, 2016 04:19PM

Colgate at Dartmouth Game 3 is a 5:05 p.m. start. I thought they were early afternoon starts so the student-athletes would be home before midnight even on a long bus ride.

Date: March 06, 2016 06:27PM

Tied 1-1 in Hanover in game three, after two periods.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2016 06:57PM

Trotsky
Tied 1-1 in Hanover in game three, after two periods.

Just went 3-2 'Gate, 12:54 left.

Oops! Now 3-3.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2016 07:00PM by Johnny 5.

Date: March 06, 2016 07:13PM

Gate feed: [wkxzfm.com]

3 minutes left in regulation, 3-3.

Date: March 06, 2016 07:17PM

Going to overtime in Hanover, Colgate 3 Dartmouth 3.

Date: March 06, 2016 07:18PM

Tying goal by senior Nick Bligh. How could they have not made him a captain?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2016 08:34PM

After Colgate had the better chances, Dartmouth wins 4-3 in double OT.

Off to the magnificent metropolis of Hamden

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2016 08:43PM

Quinny, here we come.
Sorry, Elizabeth!

"LGR!!" cheercheercheer

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2016 09:40PM

I was really hoping to see a game at Ingalls on Saturday, but there's no incentive to head there now. Hamden is much more of a pain to get to.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2016 09:33AM

So aside from us, don't root for significant upsets. playoffstatus.com gives us a 48% chance of making the NCAAs, if we win out minus the conference finals. If we lose out, our chance is <1%.

9 teams are a lock to make the NCAAs and 2 others, Harvard and UMass-Lowell, have an 85% chance of making it, even if they lose the quarterfinals. Two leagues, AH and WCHA, will have teams in the NCAAs even though they are not in top 16 teams. So there are only 14 spots left. With 11 teams almost certain to make it, we have a chance to get 1 of the 3 that are left.

So we need to beat Q. I don't know if we have a chance if we win 1 game at Q.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-140.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2016 11:39AM

Jim Hyla
So aside from us, don't root for significant upsets. playoffstatus.com gives us a 48% chance of making the NCAAs, if we win out minus the conference finals. If we lose out, our chance is <1%.

9 teams are a lock to make the NCAAs and 2 others, Harvard and UMass-Lowell, have an 85% chance of making it, even if they lose the quarterfinals. Two leagues, AH and WCHA, will have teams in the NCAAs even though they are not in top 16 teams. So there are only 14 spots left. With 11 teams almost certain to make it, we have a chance to get 1 of the 3 that are left.

Also, the B1G can steal a spot, I think. An upset there isn't unlikely. (This could happen in any of the four leagues besides AH and WCHA, but B1G is most likely IMO. Though if we don't go anywhere I'll be hoping to Hail my other team. )

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 07, 2016 11:46AM

We lose 5-6 PWR on RPI alone.. beating Quin could change a bunch of that and we could easily jump to 13th, but we need to hold it if we even get that far.

we need to be the upset and have NO, Minn Duluth lose to the favored teams.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 07, 2016 12:06PM

upprdeck
We lose 5-6 PWR on RPI alone.. beating Quin could change a bunch of that and we could easily jump to 13th, but we need to hold it if we even get that far.

we need to be the upset and have NO, Minn Duluth lose to the favored teams.

PWR pretty much is RPI now, since RPI is the tiebreak. The only way to overcome that is to beat an opponent in common games AND head to head (if you're behind in RPI).

I think if we get past Q we get in. Kind of just a gut thing, obviously the results in other conference tournaments are important. "Get past Q" is a very tall order, but it's nice to be playing important games.

Date: March 07, 2016 03:49PM

Oh, just win the title and make it simple.

Bubela at RPI
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2016 05:27PM

This weekend I was hoping for two lower seeds to upset the home teams so that if we advanced Cornell would meet Harvard. That meant sitting quietly in the season ticket section watching Brown outplay RPI with better skating and passing, only to fall in both games. On Saturday the Brown Bears went up 3-0 before RPI made their comeback.

Senior Milos Bubela of Slovakia made the first two goals for RPI and assisted on the third goal. Milos underperformed for much of the year. I got a kick out to seeing Cornell players steal pucks from him during their two meetings (though he got his revenge with the tying goal last week).

The game on Saturday was, I think, the best of his career. At the end of the game as he saluted the crowd he faced the townie side of the rink with a smile that was wider than his face. That smile made me happier than I would have imagined. I think it summed up his gratitude for opportunity to attend RPI and play division one hockey in the US. I wish I had a picture of that smile but the memory is probably even better. One smile allowed me to appreciate Milos and the sport we love.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2016 07:24AM

marty
Jim Hyla

Also, the B1G can steal a spot, I think. An upset there isn't unlikely. (This could happen in any of the four leagues besides AH and WCHA, but B1G is most likely IMO. Though if we don't go anywhere I'll be hoping to Hail my other team. )

Yes, we have to root for Michigan to win the B1G. bananaMichigan is almost in regardless. So if Minny wins, there goes another spot. Interestingly Minny is one spot behind us and yet can't get in unless they win out.

The other good possibility would be for UNO to fade and for Mich Tech to win the WCHA. That could open up 1, or even 2 spots.

So root for Michigan (I know how hard that is for some of you.) and Michigan Tech to win, but for UNO to lose.

And yes, if we don't get in, I'll be rooting for my backup as well.banana

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2016 01:47PM

Jim Hyla
Yes, we have to root for Michigan to win the B1G. bananaMichigan is almost in regardless. So if Minny wins, there goes another spot. Interestingly Minny is one spot behind us and yet can't get in unless they win out.

I can't speak for anyone else, but you never have to ask me more than once to root against Minnesota.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 08, 2016 01:51PM

andyw2100
Jim Hyla

I can't speak for anyone else, but you never have to ask me more than once to root against Minnesota.
For me you never even have to ask...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2016 03:25PM

Other than Wisconsin I'd just assume the entire B1G be buried at sea on the Great Lakes. But Minnesota should be set afire first, to, um, honor their heritage.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 03:25PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 08, 2016 05:53PM

Trotsky
Other than Wisconsin I'd just assume the entire B1G be buried at sea on the Great Lakes. But Minnesota should be set afire first, to, um, honor their heritage.
I have nothing against Northwestern either. Not that they play hockey or anything.

Date: March 08, 2016 07:33PM

KeithK
Trotsky
I have nothing against Northwestern either. Not that they play hockey or anything.
True. I never even remember they're in the B1G since they're an actual school.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login