Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

First round vs Union

Posted by ugarte 
First round vs Union
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 09:59PM

Game 1, 1-0 Cornell. I turned on the radio right after Holden Anderson scored. I'LL TAKE IT.

My heart seized up when we iced the puck with under six seconds left and then again when we gave Union another offensive zone faceoff with under a second left.

Re: First round vs Union
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 10:22PM

you have to wonder about the thought processes sometimes..

much better effort all game that last week. D played a pretty solid game.. still tons of good scoring chances being thrown away..

I think we hit the same spot on the glass behind the goal 5-6 times

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 10:36PM

ugarte
Game 1, 1-0 Cornell. I turned on the radio right after Holden Anderson scored. I'LL TAKE IT.

My heart seized up when we iced the puck with under six seconds left and then again when we gave Union another offensive zone faceoff with under a second left.
That's nothing compared to the 97 final. (Of course, you could change on icings then, but still.)

Posted by: LynahFaithful2015 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 09:18AM

I hate to bring this up, but the pockets of empty seats in Lynah made me sad.

What didn't make me sad was finally beating Union in our own barn! Hope they finish the job tonight.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 09:23AM

On video at least it looked like the seats had all filled in midway through the first.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 12:40PM

LynahFaithful2015
I hate to bring this up, but the pockets of empty seats in Lynah made me sad.

What didn't make me sad was finally beating Union in our own barn! Hope they finish the job tonight.

The crowd sounded pretty into it on radio, at least.

Date: March 05, 2016 01:13PM

it will be a better crowd tonight.. the tickets were sold but not used.. also Union brought about 5 people so that didnt add to section Os look at all

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 01:18PM

Incredible number of empty seats late in the third (nice goal though):
[ecachockey.com]

Date: March 05, 2016 01:23PM

BearLover
[ecachockey.com]
According to the box score attendance was only 3484, which means a hell of a lot of tickets that weren't sold. Not too unusual for playoff games if I remember correctly.

Date: March 05, 2016 01:24PM

KeithK
BearLover
[ecachockey.com]
According to the box score attendance was only 3484, which means a hell of a lot of tickets that weren't sold. Not too unusual for playoff games if I remember correctly.
A few years ago when I was a student, all of the playoff games were 100% full, even during disappointing years.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 09:44PM

Congrats on beating SCCC. :-)

Date: March 05, 2016 09:51PM

That was nice.

Date: March 05, 2016 10:08PM

ugarte
That was nice.
Yes. Slayed some demons.

We play in CT next weekend; just not sure where.

Date: March 05, 2016 10:18PM

GIMME GOAL VIDEO

Posted by: sah67 (---.sub-70-193-132.myvzw.com)
Date: March 05, 2016 11:09PM

ugarte
GIMME GOAL VIDEO
[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 05, 2016 11:09PM

ugarte
GIMME GOAL VIDEO
Here it is [www.youtube.com]

I can't for the life of me figure out why the first Union non-goal was waved off. Quick whistles on one for each side after that too.

Date: March 05, 2016 11:16PM

Slew.

(I know. But "slayed" just sounds so, so wrong.)

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2016 12:42AM

ugarte
ugarte
GIMME GOAL VIDEO
Here it is [www.youtube.com]

I can't for the life of me figure out why the first Union non-goal was waved off. Quick whistles on one for each side after that too.

Watch the replay a couple of times. Number 18 on Union may have knocked the puck out from under Gillam. He certainly made contact with Gillam, and was immediately knocked off his skates by Weidner. I expect the goal was waived off because of whatever happened with number 18.

Posted by: Dutchman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2016 02:54AM

Congrats on a well deserved win !!! Good luck in Connecticut.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2016 07:10AM

Yes.
I feel terrible that we missed both contests due to family illness.
But, I'm sure the neighbors all heard me screaming when our boys scored.
(It's OK, they know by now that's it's Cornell hockey season,...again.)
Buckles must be feeling quite the prodigal son today, yes? Fattened calf & all.

So, it's on to Qinnehtukqut!
And, may the best team (us) win.

"LGR"!!

cheercheercheer

Date: March 06, 2016 08:35AM

why dont they have a system that explains the calls? how hard to add a statement, the whistle blew, man in the crease, contact with the goalie? the NFL finally figured that out years ago

Date: March 06, 2016 08:52AM

Hope everything works out OK with your family, Johnny 5.

Date: March 06, 2016 10:59AM

Great way for the seniors to finish their Lynah careers :-)

Date: March 06, 2016 11:27AM

upprdeck
why dont they have a system that explains the calls? how hard to add a statement, the whistle blew, man in the crease, contact with the goalie? the NFL finally figured that out years ago

The announcement Arthur made at the time the play was to be reviewed was particularly odd, I'm guessing based on what the refs instructed him to announce. Normally the announcement would be something along the lines of, "The ruling on the ice is a goal. The play is being reviewed." or "The ruling on the ice is no goal. The play is being reviewed." Last night the announcement was, roughly, "The ruling on the ice is that the play is being reviewed."

So the refs officially had made no ruling, if I understood the announcement correctly. I didn't know they could do that.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2016 11:51AM

andyw2100
upprdeck

The announcement Arthur made at the time the play was to be reviewed was particularly odd, I'm guessing based on what the refs instructed him to announce. Normally the announcement would be something along the lines of, "The ruling on the ice is a goal. The play is being reviewed." or "The ruling on the ice is no goal. The play is being reviewed." Last night the announcement was, roughly, "The ruling on the ice is that the play is being reviewed."

So the refs officially had made no ruling, if I understood the announcement correctly. I didn't know they could do that.

I was surprised by this as well and I suspect that is what they probably told the scorer's table. I expected the refs to come back from the video room and hear Arthur say "The ruling on the ice is confirmed, the play is indeed under review."

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2016 12:15PM

Trotsky
Hope everything works out OK with your family, Johnny 5.

Thank you, sir. Very much appreciated.
After 40 it's all down hill.
Golden years, right?!

P.S., Please, don't tell my wife.

thud

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 06, 2016 02:41PM

BearLover
KeithK
BearLover
[ecachockey.com]
A few years ago when I was a student, all of the playoff games were 100% full, even during disappointing years.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I don't know what years you mean but playoff games, especially Fridays have not sold out in recent memory. Go back and look at box scores.

Date: March 06, 2016 03:05PM

Chris '03
BearLover
KeithK
BearLover
[ecachockey.com]

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I don't know what years you mean but playoff games, especially Fridays have not sold out in recent memory. Go back and look at box scores.
Is there a way to locate these easily? I'm referring to the first round of the ECAC (i.e., the final weekend at Lynah) between 2008-09 and 2011-12.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2016 03:08PM by BearLover.

Date: March 06, 2016 03:26PM

I dont know if we sold out but it was common practice on the townie side to skip the friday game.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2016 03:27PM

Here are the numbers (from [db.elynah.com] ). 2010 is probably skewed since it's Harvard. Not including playoff tickets in student season tickets and making them optional for townies has always hurt playoff attendance.

2009 vs RPI

2010 vs Harvard
4267*
4267*

2011 vs Quinnipiac

2012 vs Dartmouth
4267*

*sellout

Date: March 06, 2016 03:43PM

CowbellGuy
Not including playoff tickets in student season tickets and making them optional for townies has always hurt playoff attendance.

This season the students' season tickets DID include the playoff games. They did not have any option with respect to purchasing or not purchasing the playoff tickets. The student season tickets simply came with the playoff tickets (and without the Merrimack games which took place over their winter break.)

Date: March 06, 2016 04:04PM

CowbellGuy
Here are the numbers (from [db.elynah.com] ). 2010 is probably skewed since it's Harvard. Not including playoff tickets in student season tickets and making them optional for townies has always hurt playoff attendance.

2009 vs RPI

2010 vs Harvard
4267*
4267*

2011 vs Quinnipiac

2012 vs Dartmouth
4267*

*sellout
So Friday saw at least ~350 fewer fans than every playoff game between 2009 and 2012, and it seemed a much smaller percentage of ticket owners for the playoff games actually attended this weekend than during those years. Saturday didn't look any busier. I didn't know that about the townies--that's dumb and they should fix it. Playoff tickets were always included with my student season ticket package, though.

Those were some awesome games, though, including coming back from down 0-1 to beat RPI, sweeping Harvard, a J. Devin game 3 OT game-winning one-timer against Q, and beating D'mouth in 2nd OT on a Whitney wrister burnout
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2016 04:07PM by BearLover.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2016 04:11PM

Wonder if any playoff series did not coincide either with start or end of spring break.

Date: March 06, 2016 04:14PM

No reason The Daily Sun can't knock on the officials' door and ask for an explanation. At the least they have a "officials refused to comment" to report. Build some pressure for the refs in amateur sports to explain.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2016 04:53PM

CowbellGuy

2009 vs RPI

2010 vs Harvard
4267*
4267*

2011 vs Quinnipiac

2012 vs Dartmouth
4267*

*sellout

2014 vs Clarkson

2015 vs Union

2016 vs Union

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-70-209-128.myvzw.com)
Date: March 06, 2016 04:59PM

billhoward
No reason The Daily Sun can't knock on the officials' door and ask for an explanation. At the least they have a "officials refused to comment" to report. Build some pressure for the refs in amateur sports to explain.

It wasn't the Sun, but Brandon Thomas always has a good write up on CornellBigRed.com. It was CU's gain and The IJ's loss, when he left them. Here's his reporting:

— but the officials went to video review and deemed a Union player had dislodged a frozen puck from the glove of Cornell goalie Mitch Gillam.

Date: March 06, 2016 05:09PM

ithacat
CowbellGuy

2009 vs RPI

2010 vs Harvard
4267*
4267*

2011 vs Quinnipiac

2012 vs Dartmouth
4267*

*sellout

2014 vs Clarkson

2015 vs Union

2016 vs Union
Thanks, that's better than I thought (although ideally we'd sell out the biggest non-Harvard games of the year). Seemed like more empty seats than normal, but glad to see we rebounded a bit from Friday's number.

Date: March 06, 2016 05:42PM

If you can't find box score here on eLynah you can check [collegehockeystats.net]. It has box scores going back at least a decade. TBRW has boxes for longer but they don't include attendance.

Date: March 06, 2016 06:23PM

KeithK
If you can't find box score here on eLynah you can check [collegehockeystats.net]. It has box scores going back at least a decade. TBRW has boxes for longer but they don't include attendance.
Which reminds me. The years I am missing for boxes are 93, 94, 95. Ayybody who digs them up wins... I dunno, my gratitude.

(87 is weak, too. And 81. Other than those I pretty much have everything since the Lynah opening.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2016 06:24PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Robb (107.77.68.---)
Date: March 06, 2016 07:35PM

93, 94, and 95 are best memorialized with empty box scores.

Date: March 06, 2016 08:00PM

Which announcement could have been provided to the fans and also the broadcasters. What you see on TV for professional sports for referee explanations, you want to see at more levels. Especially since broadcast TV if not ILDN TV, gives you multiple replays and angles, so you want to know the thinking if say the overhead view shows the puck crossing the goal line and it's no goal.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2016 08:20PM

Trotsky
KeithK
Which reminds me. The years I am missing for boxes are 93, 94, 95. Ayybody who digs them up wins... I dunno, my gratitude.

(87 is weak, too. And 81. Other than those I pretty much have everything since the Lynah opening.)

I have the scoresheets. What I don't have is the motivation to copy them.

Date: March 07, 2016 02:39PM

ACM
Trotsky
KeithK

I have the scoresheets. What I don't have is the motivation to copy them.
But... gratitude!!!

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: March 07, 2016 06:39PM

Trotsky
KeithK

It's a little bit of work, but the '95 season has what looks to be complete box scores in a very dusty corner of elynah.com. The skeletal remnants of KeithK's old CU Hockey website still exist and every so often I find myself looking there for a random datum from '95-'01 that I can't find on TBRW or any of the other creaky websites that provided me with morsels of late-90s college hockey stats and records.

It's annoying because many of the hyperlinks are still coded to point to the www.hockey.cornell.edu domain, so what you have to do is open a link in a new tab and replace the "www.hockey.cornell.edu" in the url with "www.elynah.com" and it should give you the document.

Here's the jumping-off point for the '94-'95 season, which is as far back as Keith's site had with respect to box scores: [www.elynah.com]

I tell you what, it's weird looking at the schedule and seeing so many opponents throwing up 6, 7, 8, and 9 goals against a Cornell team. Oh, that last game of the '95 QF at Clarkson. The infamous "Everybody into the box!!" game by Harry 'The Arm' Ammian. CU had 4 guys (5 separate penalties) stuffed into the penalty box within a minute in the 2nd when the score was still 2-1. Also the home Harvard game featured a Harvard PPG on a Delay of Game fish-related penalty at the beginning of the 2nd. I'll still never forgive that idiot in Section D.

FWIW, here is Keith's site's front page: [www.elynah.com]
But most of the historical stuff he compiled can be located here: [www.elynah.com]

Do I get 1/3 gratitude?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 06:49PM by RichH.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 07, 2016 06:49PM

I could probably write a Perl script to update all of the files to point to elynah.com (well, the Age could run to do so). I just haven't because I think you and I are the only people who ever go there. :-)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2016 08:42AM

RichH
Trotsky
KeithK

It's a little bit of work, but the '95 season has what looks to be complete box scores in a very dusty corner of elynah.com. The skeletal remnants of KeithK's old CU Hockey website still exist and every so often I find myself looking there for a random datum from '95-'01 that I can't find on TBRW or any of the other creaky websites that provided me with morsels of late-90s college hockey stats and records.

It's annoying because many of the hyperlinks are still coded to point to the www.hockey.cornell.edu domain, so what you have to do is open a link in a new tab and replace the "www.hockey.cornell.edu" in the url with "www.elynah.com" and it should give you the document.

Here's the jumping-off point for the '94-'95 season, which is as far back as Keith's site had with respect to box scores: [www.elynah.com]

I tell you what, it's weird looking at the schedule and seeing so many opponents throwing up 6, 7, 8, and 9 goals against a Cornell team. Oh, that last game of the '95 QF at Clarkson. The infamous "Everybody into the box!!" game by Harry 'The Arm' Ammian. CU had 4 guys (5 separate penalties) stuffed into the penalty box within a minute in the 2nd when the score was still 2-1. Also the home Harvard game featured a Harvard PPG on a Delay of Game fish-related penalty at the beginning of the 2nd. I'll still never forgive that idiot in Section D.

FWIW, here is Keith's site's front page: [www.elynah.com]
But most of the historical stuff he compiled can be located here: [www.elynah.com]

Do I get 1/3 gratitude?
You get a gratitude! And you, and you, and you!

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-144.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2016 10:00AM

RichH
Oh, that last game of the '95 QF at Clarkson. The infamous "Everybody into the box!!" game by Harry 'The Arm' Ammian. CU had 4 guys (5 separate penalties) stuffed into the penalty box within a minute in the 2nd when the score was still 2-1. Also the home Harvard game featured a Harvard PPG on a Delay of Game fish-related penalty at the beginning of the 2nd. I'll still never forgive that idiot in Section D

I worked in the same office as Harry beginning in April 2014. I talked to him about hockey on occasion - he listened a lot- which was frustrating. He retired last fall.

On two or three occasions I offered him my RPI tickets and he always declined. I finally asked if he saw many games and he replied that he didn't !?!?!

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2016 11:03AM

I've still got to finish scanning all the Lynah-era boxes and getting the data into db.elynah.com but I need to rewrite a lot of the code over there. It's still all planned to get done though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login