Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ecac playoff broadcasts

Posted by wakester2468 
ecac playoff broadcasts
Posted by: wakester2468 (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 07:49AM

The ECAC has the worst TV coverage of any conference. Exposure to perhaps the most competitive league in the country is crucial in the recruiting wars. So now playoffs start with no coverage and the ECAC in their wisdom chooses to charge $9.95 per game or 29.85 for a three game series to view. This might be a way to help fund the league but frankly they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Re: ecac playoff broadcasts
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 08:25AM

wakester2468
The ECAC has the worst TV coverage of any conference. Exposure to perhaps the most competitive league in the country is crucial in the recruiting wars. So now playoffs start with no coverage and the ECAC in their wisdom chooses to charge $9.95 per game or 29.85 for a three game series to view. This might be a way to help fund the league but frankly they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Can't imagine anybody even signs up except parents, which means it's just a tax on people unfortunate enough to have sent their kids to ECAC schools. Astounding stupidity is SOP for the ECAC unfortunately.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 09:24AM

At $10 a game, watching Cornell advance to the title game (theoretically up to 8 games) would be $80 vs. what, $100 for access to ILDN for the entire RS for all Cornell sports, $120 for access to all 8 teams' broadcasts. Be interesting to see how much revenue the ECAC generates from the hockey playoffs. Didn't see if the Lake Placid weekend is on broadcast or cable. Be embarrassing if it isn't. Makes ECAC feel like a backwater league except for those 2 national titles in the last 3 years.

Posted by: sandrese (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 10:19AM

RPI TV's decided to take a stand this year.

RPI TV NOT Providing Live Stream for Playoffs

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 01:42PM

sandrese

That is awesome.

At some point I wonder if the member schools will ask themselves, "what do we need with Centreville"? Much like the NC$$, the 1950s mindset is dying out and these dinosaurs may have outlived their usefulness.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 04, 2016 03:17PM

not much different than how pro sports lost the lawsuit and have to provide single team feeds. so they do that but at such a small discount most people wont bother to do it.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 03:55PM

Trotsky
sandrese

That is awesome.

At some point I wonder if the member schools will ask themselves, "what do we need with Centreville"? Much like the NC$$, the 1950s mindset is dying out and these dinosaurs may have outlived their usefulness.

ECACs out of centerville. Hockey office is in Albany. Everything else is in Danbury, CT. Hasn't done much to change the mindset though apparently.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 02:29PM

jumping the gun here... but are the ECAC semis and finals going to be on a cable TV station? Last year wasn't in on one of the Fox College Sport networks? Or is the whole darn tournament PAY-FOR-VIEW at $10/game?

Even if Cornell wasn't in the finals, I'd watch on cable or ESPN3. But will not pay $$ unless Cornell is in it.

And KUDOS to RPI.TV. I also hope they said to the Boxcast people that they were NOT available for technical assistance (a little bit of sabatoge would be okay too).

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2016 03:01PM

Rita
jumping the gun here... but are the ECAC semis and finals going to be on a cable TV station? Last year wasn't in on one of the Fox College Sport networks? Or is the whole darn tournament PAY-FOR-VIEW at $10/game?

Even if Cornell wasn't in the finals, I'd watch on cable or ESPN3. But will not pay $$ unless Cornell is in it.

And KUDOS to RPI.TV. I also hope they said to the Boxcast people that they were NOT available for technical assistance (a little bit of sabatoge would be okay too).

Check the ECAC site here and you find this:

TELEVISION

ECAC Hockey has partnered with American Sports Network (ASN) to televise the 2016 semifinals and championship game March 18-19 at the 1980 Rink - Herb Brooks Arena, Lake Placid N.Y.

Eric Frede will be the play-by-play announcer with Colby Cohen providing color commentary.

Stay tuned to find the ASN channel in your area.

And you do realize that if RPI TV sabotaged (check the spelling) the broadcasts, they'd only be hurting their own fans, don't you?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 03:18PM

American Sports Network? It's weird that there's a sports channel I've never heard of.

I go to their website and the lead story is on a Grand Canyon University basketball player, which is a school I've never heard of, and between my obsession with sports and being in academia, I've heard of a lot of schools.

This is weird.

Also, their basketball coach is Dan Majerle.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 03:40PM

Dafatone
American Sports Network? It's weird that there's a sports channel I've never heard of.

I go to their website and the lead story is on a Grand Canyon University basketball player, which is a school I've never heard of, and between my obsession with sports and being in academia, I've heard of a lot of schools.

This is weird.

Okay, before someone corrects me, it appears ASN is a network OF channels, including a bunch of Comcast sports channels and other things, rather than a single channel itself.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 04:05PM

Jim Hyla
Rita

TELEVISION

ECAC Hockey has partnered with American Sports Network (ASN) to televise the 2016 semifinals and championship game March 18-19 at the 1980 Rink - Herb Brooks Arena, Lake Placid N.Y.

Eric Frede will be the play-by-play announcer with Colby Cohen providing color commentary.

And you do realize that if RPI TV sabotaged (check the spelling) the broadcasts, they'd only be hurting their own fans, don't you?

Jim... my intent was for RPI.TV to make it harder for BOXCAST to do a high quality game.. LIke RPI.TV does. Why make it easier for a company hired by the ECAC? The ECAC has shown (to me at least) that they really are not in touch with the fan base especially those of us who still follow the league but do not live in ECAC-country.

I know it would fall on deaf ears at the ECAC (I've given up emailing Steve Hagwell about the shitty arrangements they have for ECAC playoff games). May be RPI.TV fans are more vocal, have more clout and can complain to the ECAC about this crappy arrangement (and their unwillingness to pay RPI.TV for their talents in providing a feed to stream).

I already looked, ASN is not available in my area for Florida/Comcast sucks cable system. Never heard of it until a few hours ago.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 04:35PM

Dafatone
Dafatone

This is weird.

Okay, before someone corrects me, it appears ASN is a network OF channels, including a bunch of Comcast sports channels and other things, rather than a single channel itself.

Pretty sure you are correct. I've caught the occasional game from ASN...but always where a local/regional sports network picked it up. My sense is that they produce content, but have no direct distribution of their own.

Edit: from ecac website...Bold, italic, underlining is mine for emphasis

ECAC
ABOUT AMERICAN SPORTS NETWORK (ASN)
ASN is a division of Sinclair Networks Group, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., the largest and one of the most diversified television broadcasting companies in the country with 164 television stations it owns, operates and/or provides services to in 81 markets, broadcasting 467 channels. Sinclair’s portfolio reaches approximately 43 million television households and is affiliated with all the major networks. Sinclair is the leading local news provider in the country, as well as a producer of sports content. Sinclair’s broadcast content is delivered via multiple-platforms, including over-the-air, multi-channel video program distributor and digital platforms. In addition, ASN’s content is syndicated to other broadcasters and regional sports networks. ASN, which launched in August 2014, produced 250 college events in nine sports in its first year and plans to air more than 375 events in the 2015/2016 academic year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2016 04:41PM by abmarks.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 06:37PM

Dafatone

Reading between the lines GCU looks like a former religious kook school that got made into a for profit diploma mill. Imagine a cross between Liberty and Phoenix.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: March 05, 2016 08:31PM

Trotsky
Dafatone

Reading between the lines GCU looks like a former religious kook school that got made into a for profit diploma mill. Imagine a cross between Liberty and Phoenix.

[www.sportsonearth.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-70-209-131.myvzw.com)
Date: March 06, 2016 12:04AM

Rita
Jim Hyla
Rita

TELEVISION

Jim... my intent was for RPI.TV to make it harder for BOXCAST to do a high quality game.. LIke RPI.TV does. Why make it easier for a company hired by the ECAC? The ECAC has shown (to me at least) that they really are not in touch with the fan base especially those of us who still follow the league but do not live in ECAC-country.

I know it would fall on deaf ears at the ECAC (I've given up emailing Steve Hagwell about the shitty arrangements they have for ECAC playoff games). May be RPI.TV fans are more vocal, have more clout and can complain to the ECAC about this crappy arrangement (and their unwillingness to pay RPI.TV for their talents in providing a feed to stream).

I already looked, ASN is not available in my area for Florida/Comcast sucks cable system. Never heard of it until a few hours ago.

If I was an RPI fan and heard that RPI TV worked to give me an inferior broadcast from Boxcast, I'd be upset. Why take the low road and make your fans upset? Better to do what they did and produce a good product to watch afterwards, as well as telling everyone what happened. Look at the good press they got. What do you think would have been said if they sabotaged?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login