Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

RPI Post-mortem

Posted by RichH 
RPI Post-mortem
Posted by: RichH (---.stoweaccess.com)
Date: February 27, 2016 09:48PM

23.5 seconds.

They fail to close another game at home with a 3rd period lead.
They had #6 w/ a series #11 Brown lined up & instead get #8 and face #9 Union.
They had a situation where they would have completely avoided QU & YU in a QF series & now that's very likely.
They could have improved on their bubble standing, & now need a big run to even make an argument an at-large bid.

23.5 seconds.

Re: RPI Post-mortem
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2016 09:57PM

RichH
23.5 seconds.

They fail to close another game at home with a 3rd period lead.
They had #6 w/ a series #11 Brown lined up & instead get #8 and face #9 Union.
They had a situation where they would have completely avoided QU & YU in a QF series & now that's very likely.
They could have improved on their bubble standing, & now need a big run to even make an argument an at-large bid.

23.5 seconds.

It hurts, but like it is expected - think ripping off a bandaid. As a NYG football fan, losing games in the final 90 seconds has become a likely outcome of close games. Just sigh, say that really sucks and hope for better next week.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 27, 2016 10:04PM

Another excruciating result. Almost wish the year would just end.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.static.dlth.mn.charter.com)
Date: February 27, 2016 10:54PM

BearLover

Dude, go away if you're so miserable.

Date: February 27, 2016 11:16PM

Dafatone
BearLover

This year sucks, sorry if you're offended by me stating it sucks.

We've got multiple posters in the basketball thread calling for Courtney to be fired every time the team loses a game. It's called "being a passionate fan" and "not being content with mediocrity."

This senior class is about to graduate without ever making the NCAAs. Cornell Hockey isn't all sunshine and rainbows anymore.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2016 11:32PM by BearLover.

Posted by: marty (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2016 05:22AM

BearLover
Dafatone
BearLover

We've got multiple posters in the basketball thread calling for Courtney to be fired every time the team loses a game. It's called "being a passionate fan" and "not being content with mediocrity."

This senior class is about to graduate without ever making the NCAAs. Cornell Hockey isn't all sunshine and rainbows anymore.

This might be a valid argument had I not read your posts from last year. Call for Mike's head if you wish but don't pretend the eLynah crowd has amnesia.

Date: February 28, 2016 12:46PM

marty
BearLover
Dafatone
BearLover

This might be a valid argument had I not read your posts from last year. Call for Mike's head if you wish but don't pretend the eLynah crowd has amnesia.
I'm sorry, what? I've never advocated for firing Mike. (Last year I said we should give him one more year. This year I still think we should give him one more year.) I'm perfectly willing to (and do) make happy joyous posts when the team is good.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2016 01:28PM by BearLover.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 28, 2016 06:16PM

Dafatone
BearLover

This year's team sucks. Not the people. They are all, I am sure, fine people. Unfortunately they are fine, upstanding people who are playing hockey in public and they are not good at it for the level at which they compete. There are aspects of the game they do well, but when all of the aspects of the game are combined, and they have to put them in action against other collections of fine, upstanding young men (we call these situations "games";) they suck at hockey.

This is primarily because they can't score so they are either losing by a lot or winning by very little but it is secondarily because they are really, really, really bad at keeping pressure off of their goalie in the waning minutes of a game.

I hope I have to eat these words.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2016 01:53AM

I don't believe I've seen the following mentioned yet.

While watching the broadcast of the Harvard game last weekend at some point one of the announcers said something about that fact that if the game went into overtime it would be the twelfth overtime game of the season for Cornell, which would tie the school record. (I'm not sure when I heard that. It could have been during the overtime, or perhaps it was even said on Saturday, during the Dartmouth game.)

In any case, if that tidbit was accurate, then Saturday night's tie with RPI broke that record.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2016 01:55AM by andyw2100.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: February 29, 2016 01:53PM

andyw2100
I don't believe I've seen the following mentioned yet.

While watching the broadcast of the Harvard game last weekend at some point one of the announcers said something about that fact that if the game went into overtime it would be the twelfth overtime game of the season for Cornell, which would tie the school record. (I'm not sure when I heard that. It could have been during the overtime, or perhaps it was even said on Saturday, during the Dartmouth game.)

In any case, if that tidbit was accurate, then Saturday night's tie with RPI broke that record.

Correct. From Brandon Thomas during the Harvard game:

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: February 29, 2016 02:29PM

I was only able to log into ILDN for the OT on Saturday, and what I did see was a Cornell team possessed with the idea of getting the puck to net for the first time in a while. There was finally some high-energy offensive zone "get the puck and shoot" tactics. Maybe they were as pissed as I was at allowing the EAG in the last minute.

There was also a comment from the broadcast crew that Syer had whistled to get Gillam's attention. By that point, it was known that a tie would yield the same league-standing result as a loss due to the tie-breakers, so there was some speculation that they could safely pull Gillam. On the other side, a tie was as good as a win for RPI, so they seemed content to play a little keep-away during the last minute. I don't know for sure if the coaches considered pulling Gillam in OT.

Posted by: BearLover (---.wrls.harvard.edu)
Date: February 29, 2016 02:32PM

RichH
I was only able to log into ILDN for the OT on Saturday, and what I did see was a Cornell team possessed with the idea of getting the puck to net for the first time in a while. There was finally some high-energy offensive zone "get the puck and shoot" tactics. Maybe they were as pissed as I was at allowing the EAG in the last minute.

There was also a comment from the broadcast crew that Syer had whistled to get Gillam's attention. By that point, it was known that a tie would yield the same league-standing result as a loss due to the tie-breakers, so there was some speculation that they could safely pull Gillam. On the other side, a tie was as good as a win for RPI, so they seemed content to play a little keep-away during the last minute. I don't know for sure if the coaches considered pulling Gillam in OT.
Cornell has been in this position in the past (in 2012, I believe, they were tied with RPI(?) on senior night and needed a win for the #1 seed), but Schafer did not pull Iles, presumably because Cornell's Pairwise ranking is more important than getting a higher seed. Of course, this year it may have been fair to assume Cornell has no shot at an at-large bid.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2016 02:33PM by BearLover.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2016 07:58PM

I dont think an at large is really out of reach.. say we play well and sweep union. that flips some PWR our way. we could then some how sweep quin and flip that as well.. a loss and a tie only dropped us 4, whose to say what 4 wins would do. i dont think we need to win the ecac to get in but likely may have to get to the finals.

the chance is not nearly zero. but it may be close

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: February 29, 2016 08:24PM

upprdeck
I dont think an at large is really out of reach.. say we play well and sweep union. that flips some PWR our way. we could then some how sweep quin and flip that as well.. a loss and a tie only dropped us 4, whose to say what 4 wins would do. i dont think we need to win the ecac to get in but likely may have to get to the finals.

I think two wins over Q would be enough. That'd be a huge boost to our RPI. I don't even think we need a sweep.

Of course, we have to get through Union first...

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 29, 2016 09:26PM

Dafatone
upprdeck

I think two wins over Q would be enough. That'd be a huge boost to our RPI. I don't even think we need a sweep.

And I think if we win the next twelve games we'll have a pretty good chance of being national champs. It's just not that likely.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2016 10:34PM

KeithK
Dafatone
upprdeck

And I think if we win the next twelve games we'll have a pretty good chance of being national champs. It's just not that likely.

Ten should be enough. :)

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2016 12:07AM

ursusminor
KeithK
Dafatone
upprdeck

Yeah ten. That's what I said! :-)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2016 07:20AM

upprdeck

No the chance of an NCAA bid, if we get to the ECAC finals, is far from zero. PlayoffStatus.com give us a 73% chance, if we get to the finals.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 01, 2016 08:30AM

KeithK
ursusminor
KeithK
Dafatone
upprdeck

Yeah ten. That's what I said! :-)

Princeton can win the NCAA title at 15-23-3.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login